Progress Update

Brad
Admin
Admin

Progress Update

Post by Brad »

- We are currently digging into making the backend compatible with a non-intel based CPU
- Hardware choice still seems to be focusing on the Raspberry Pi 3 B+

Brad
Admin
Admin

Re: Progress Update

Post by Brad »

Experimenting with using UDP to "broadcast" the lobby's address. Also added a cool thing where you could "name" your lobby. !

a.png
a.png (112.29 KiB) Viewed 46801 times

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

- The developer actually got the lobby address broadcast working across both interfaces now.. so theoretically we could use it wireless or wired.
- Got a bit more of nork running on the pi (about 80% creature count)

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

The new 64 bit server side code went to production today.

Now other than scrunching down the creature and item counts, we are on the same code base as the dev-pocket-drakkar!

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Sysop Vision! (You are the SYSOP of your own world!)

(Still playing with this so it doesnt show gaps)
Attachments
a.png
a.png (912.22 KiB) Viewed 46784 times
a.png
a.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 46784 times

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

- Rudimentary account Creation working
- Rudimentary password change working
- Have a "skeleton" framework for being able to backup the device on an hourly basis over to a remote server (if you have an internet connection), Its a bit rugged right now (basically rsync).

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

- Have a decent backup system running now per device, allowing offline debugging and possible data restoration between versions.
(Need to write something to pull it *BACK* now : ))
- Have the Nork 1 scenario *ALMOST* fitting in the emulator. (WE keep saying almost, sorry).
- Ordered our first set of motherboard/case combos (the metallic case in the link) and lots of extra SD cards.
- Working with our web designer on the official "Pocket Drakkar" page where we can show it to the community at large.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

- Creature "Braindead" issues should be fixed
- Wandering creatures (where they never sleep and randomly wander all over) should be a lot better
- Crash issue with using more than one locker should be fixed
- Crash issue with using more than one bank should be fixed

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

We are still struggling with a way to remotely "update" the device (for patching).

We are trying a variety of rsync/scp models, none appear 'solid' yet.

Brad
Admin
Admin

First Sample Image!

Post by Brad »

Tonight in the wee hours we produced our first "early alpha" sample image for the game/lobby and update process!

The latest openssh gives us a new feature that will allow us to listen on restricted ports and receive updates!

Now to squeeze all this back down to 1GB Ram!

Brad

Brad
Admin
Admin

Pocket Founders - In case you don't get the email

Post by Brad »

This is just a quick note to let you know how excited I am that we are almost ready to send out a “bleeding edge” first pass of the product.

If you are one of the "Pocket Founders", could you please reply to this email with your full name and full mailing address (where you can receive a package!)
(Also, not required, but a cell phone # would be great)

A couple notes:
- The first pass will require an ethernet connection to your home router. It will pick its IP address up via DHCP (you will need to plug it in)
- You will need to be in the same “network” to access it (IE if you have multiple wireless networks at your house you will need to be using the one associated with your router)
- I’m TRULY going to try not to have character/storage incompatibilities between versions, but we are still “squeezing”, so we may have to have a wipe or two.
- The first pass will be constantly talking to a server on our side sending debugging information, crash dumps, etc. (Just be aware of this). In the future, we will add an option to disable this.

So:
- To use, you will need to plug it into an RJ45 on your router where I can get a DHCP’d IP address
- You will need to use the latest client (the latest client detects broadcasts of pocket drakkar clients)
- You may see some traffic while we do backups/crash dumps/logs over the network.

I’m excited, I hope you are also!

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Update:

- We found one "arm" related bug with the way we were cheating pointer math when dealing with corpses. Close to a solution here.
- The latest openssh build does indeed give us the capabilities we need. (We will just install it seperately)
- The latest and greatest frontend now better supports the "local" game concept. You can see the user-defined name in your drop down list if local games are running. (Technically i guess you could have two separate games)
- We were able to achieve quite a space reduction by archiving a lot of game data, and making the game read from the archive
- We are looking into using shared libraries (for the drakkar code) instead of compiling everything into multiple big binaries. The thought is this would save more ram.
- Supporters, if you haven't yet, make sure you email us your physical address and cell # number. (Full name also). We are trying really hard to get enough done to send a couple units out. (As i've said in the past our biggest challenge is the ability to UPDATE the unit)

Brad
Admin
Admin

First Prototype Out the Door!

Post by Brad »

The first prototype is now in the hands of a real customer!

I'll leave it up to them as to whether they let you know who or not :)

Brad
Admin
Admin

06-27-2019

Post by Brad »

- Made the mistake of patching to the latest PI operating system, so the character server crashes now. (Probably slightly less memory).
- Two more Founder units going out the door ASAP!

Backups seem to be working, so does hotpatching, and debugging.. which has really helped. I'd like to make a special thanks to Kanador for really sticking with me during the rough spots.

On PAPER, i have a way for people to allow people onto their boxes (other than supplying their own personal IP address.. which .. well, okay, yeah if you want to do that).

Brad
Admin
Admin

Two Platinum Founder Units Shipped!

Post by Brad »

Two more units shipped today!

Congrats to Cavy and Midnight!

Brad

Brad
Admin
Admin

Lobby Patches

Post by Brad »

There is a new patch for the PD lobby that moves "stuck" characters back to nork at the reset position.

The patch has been installed on several of the lobbies, please email me if i missed you (Darm,Midnight,Kanador, yours have it).

Now if you accidentally go through a portal, you can exit/enter/exit/enter and you should be back in nork 1.

Brad

Brad
Admin
Admin

2019-11-13

Post by Brad »

There has been an update that fixes the "Frore Red Dragon" flood (they come from the fire planes).

Make sure you connect up to the internet with your box to receive the update. (If you leave yourself connected overnight, then reboot, you should see the dragon fix in)