A couple ideas

Thes

A couple ideas

Post by Thes »

One thing that I'd like to see changed is armor pages. You have one armor for barb and ma, then 6 other classes using the other. It would be nice if the armor book accepted either page as you quickly run short on bone looking armor and have lots of the field plate looking armor.

One other thing that's always a challenge on gold level and above is the captains. They can come out and kill you while you're trying to get xp. Or you have to spend quite a bit of time killing them for no reason just to get xp. For example I'm hunting black level atm. It takes my party of 3 around 45 minutes to kill the captain when he finds me. Now I have 3 hours or so till he spawns again and I have to deal with him again. It would be nice if you could somehow wall off their room, and make the entry room a stair into their lair.

Or if you leave them like they are it would be cool if they had a much higher chance of a drop. Since they drop gems I'm assuming they are considered normal mobs and could drop gear(bracers, earing, etc). Maybe give them like a 10 percent chance of a drop so I don't always feel like I'm wasting time just to hunt? That's in addition to their normal drops of course.

Thanks for putting the scenario together. Hopefully parapet lair is coming along nicely.

Pancho

Re: A couple ideas

Post by Pancho »

I always enjoyed the fact that Captains came by and challenged you while exping. Otherwise it would be quite boring. The idea is to get armor pages and make your party stand their ground while the captain comes by. The level of challenge progression is quite nice as it is and personally I would not like to see the castles being just another exp centers. Besides, captains are not really lair bosses.

Thes

Post by Thes »

I know they aren't really lair bosses. But imo they have far too many hp or regen to make it worthwhile killing them. Gold and black are just a nuisance. Green can wipe a party pretty fast if you're getting xp there. I see zero people hunting black and gold. Granted gold level only dropping one gem could be part of it. Most everyone takes the easy way out and does silver until there is no more xp. At least that's how it has been in nl2 for the past 3 months I've been there.

I really don't see how you think they make it interesting. They are just normal mobs that take forever to kill and while gold has a drop everyone wants, black is pretty much pointless. They aren't challenging, they just take a long time to kill once they run into you. Unless you're trying to solo there with one character.

I generally tp to black captain. Stack my barb and watch tv till he's dead. The tiers from normal mobs make you pay attention and provide a challenge.

Thes

Post by Thes »

How about my walled off lair idea and make the sullen intruder buff tp you to the captain of the level you're in currently, and reduce the amount of rounds the buff lasts by like half. That might make it a bit more interesting on all accounts.

Thes

Post by Thes »

One other thing Id like to mention is buff timers. Stuff like aid, strength, agility, energy shield, absorbtion, haste, all run out extremely fast since everything is on fast rounds now. Any chance of making them last a bit longer?

curiousredmonkey

Post by curiousredmonkey »

I am suggesting a new trader NPC. He takes two full-plate parts and then gives you the one you requested. To keep it simple, blacks for black, greens for green, etc. Example: You want gold fp part 5 and have 2 gold fp part 4s, so you hold each gold fp part 4 in a hand and click on one of the numbers 1-10 that the trader displays and you get the part 5 you need (and obviously the part 4s disappear).

I think sullen keep could use this new npc. The number of parts that drop are rare and then when they do drop it is often a duplicate. It is heartbreaking. And since there are almost no players to party with in the barracks anymore, even these dups have become more rare.

This still leaves trading with players as a viable and attractive first choice, since those trades are usually one for one. Or even freely given. But often they have the same duplicate parts as you do, and so no trade occurs. The trader NPC would fit in nicely here.

[Obviously the simplest solution is for Brad to dramatically increase full-plate part drops but I doubt he will ever do that...even if people leave or stop paying for nameless monthly subscriptions.]

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

Actually, simplest solution would be to drop platinum prices. They are currently on par or in excess of the MMORPG's that have exponentially more content, dedicated customer service that doesn't disappear for a year + from time to time, and that produce significant new content every 6 to 9 months.
Drakkar is not in that league, and that would be fine, were it not for the pricing.

Cut platinum prices down to $5 or $10 month...watch membership triple, quadruple, more?

Then there are plenty of players :)

$10/month for 2 two platinum accounts, and I wouldn't care so much when Brad disappeared for long stretches. But if I pay $50/month? Damn right I'm upset when he disappears and provides no service or content.

Pancho

Post by Pancho »

Terrel,

Pay plat subscription for beta testing.

seiyria

Post by seiyria »

I agree that captains need some tweaks. My proposition is to just grey-tag them. I can fight them if I want to, but if I'm on an already-dangerous floor (green) then I'm not going to get wiped with no chance of DP retrieval ever. Maybe a lock on the door would work too, with keys dropping on the floor.