Can aging please be modified?

If you have an idea post it here
Toasticle

Can aging please be modified?

Post by Toasticle »

I sort of understand the need for it back in the day, once casters got their EC they could fly by non casters with their super single space aoe but nowadays is it really needed?

I have a 20/18 MA, 15/12 Barb, 19/16 FM and a 20/17 Healer. If I want to xp/skill/coin grind on the MA or barb they can aoe mobs till my mouse button bleeds for extended periods of time and neither has even passed young yet, even when FB/IB/AB spamming to bring mobs down to one shot levels. Yeah the barb has no aoe but it kills stupid fast even at 15, nearly as much as an aoe plus I dont get hit with any annoying skill penalty for using an aoe spell.

My healer? I can do single target casts which is near useless in cob, my forged weapon kills faster but that doesnt really do much for my healer skill. Yes EC is powerfull but the aging rate is completely insane. Does it really need to be THAT aging in the modern game? I would actually like to see the upper end game but if I'm hunting alone because none of my friends are on its whack them with a weapon and get no casting skill, assault stuff 10 times to kill one mob (if I'm lucky) or go on a single hour EC grind and wait a month to buy another youth pot since the drop is so rare (or I'm unlucky). Oh wait, I cant buy them once a month since Olay is hosed.

Yes people had to 'do it the hard way' back in the day but this is 2013 not 1999. Not a dig at Brad but look at every other MMORPG out there and the vast majority quickly realized making new/small players go through what people had to 10 years ago is a horrible idea, letting them reach about the 2/3 point so they can start teaming with the rest of the game helps a ton for player retention. Very few if any play the pre-NL game nowadays unless they're just twinking out guild buddies or friends and while I'd love to throw you the $50 to see it waiting for friends to team with or doing a couple hours a month for actual gains is just nuts. And please don't say slowed aging quirk, I've been hunting CCoB since the crash to try and build up my characters but either I'm bugged or quirk gain there is completely and utterly hosed. I get maybe 1 a day if I'm lucky 2. At that rate I'll have slowed aging maxed in about 17 years.

Would making aging much slower at pre 30-40 levels really hurt the game? Heck just changing EC to be double or triple the fire/ice breaths aging would be a massive help to those of us trying to catch up. Or should I just say to hell with it and spam b all day on my barb and forget my healer entirely, it honestly seems like if I want to ever see anything past cob thats the way to go.

Merlin

Re: Can aging please be modified?

Post by Merlin »

You know certain lairs in Cob drop YP's right?

Also there is a special place you can buy YP's after level 25, they cost 5meg each.

If you think the aging is bad at your level, wait until you get to mine I consume 2-3 per day.
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Toasticle

Post by Toasticle »

Um... so I need to level to be able to buy the yp's I need to level? Or what, solo lairs as a healer and hope I get one YP to grind for a couple hours?

I don't mean to come off as a jerk but you blew off pretty much my entire post.

King

Post by King »

Im curious as to how many YP's you actually need to level. I know I could easily find 5-10 a day just rummaging around in nork with actually killing a single thing. There are places you can get YP's without actually doing anything.

Toasticle

Post by Toasticle »

I'd love to know where, but my original point was still does EC REALLY need to age that severely anymore? And yes, it ages insanely fast, you can get to ancient so fast your head will spin off. I did have a stock from years of playing and once I got EC on my healer it was gone in a couple weeks. It really does age that badly. Plus I forgot to include my wifes paladin who gets to EC every swing with her Excalibur with no aging penalty (granted its not as strong but it decimates nork zoos like you wouldn't believe).

With all the tiers and whatever you get post NL (No idea since never been), do healers even use EC at those levels? If not and its really only till level 30 or so spell, would it really hurt anything to just make it age like other aoes or maybe 2 or 3x as other aoes? Its really a solo spell anyway, in groups I'm healing not DPSing (much, plus it will kill off my party in 2 or 3 casts unless I makes them all wear EC prot :P) and since its the only multi target damage spell I have that actually damages mobs for non-trivial damage what would be the harm in letting healers/ments/fms use it to help catch up to the majority of the current game?

For example (assuming the numbers are still right) one EC ages as fast as *250* icebreaths. Does that really sound reasonable.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

EC was a massive part of my strategy for one of the 30+ lairs in Cob.

Its useful and we used it in a very specific party to defeat the lair.

Honestly the ageing isn't as bad as your making it out to be.
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Toasticle

Post by Toasticle »

I'd love to have a discussion but its kind of difficult if all you is keep doing is blowing off everything I post with "Its not that bad"

It ages *five thousand* compared to 10-30 for almost every other single or aoe damage either my healer or f/m has. Do you honestly think the spell in the modern game is 200-300 times more powerful than every other damage spell I have available? I honestly want to know if you think it is and why. When I use it to hunt I'm casting it constantly, not for 10 or 20 minutes or however long it takes for whatever lair your talking about. Going through 3 yp in one day was fairly normal till my stock ran out.

And using it in a specific lair in one scenario in a team is just like when I'm out trying to coin/xp solo while waiting for friends to team with. Totally the same. Your just making it out to be not at all annoying to use. (That was sarcastic. Annoying when someone just handwaves away what you say isn't it).

Skip

Post by Skip »

Got any quirk points for Slowed Aging ?

Toasticle

Post by Toasticle »

1. As I said in my original post quirk gains in cob since the big crash a few months ago have become incredibly slow, maybe it just seems like it but getting one an hour seems to be the norm now. At 20 per for slowed aging by the time I get it to even 10 it'll be sometime next October.

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

From what I recall of healers in cob, firestorm was the way to go for aoe on a zoo, then psicrush for 1 shot kills.

Please tell me you're not trying UD on a psi class.

Sewers is probably still the best skill for psi, unless upper keep has finally been fixed. UD wasn't meant for psi classes, please stop frustrating yourself by playing in an area not designed for your class.

Cobra

Toasticle

Post by Toasticle »

I uh.. have no idea at all what any of that has to do with what I was talking about :)

I'm not talking about skill gain or UD (?? I'd never take a caster there alone I'm not that dumb :P), I'm talking about EC aging hundreds of times more than firestorm or anything else in my current arsenal and just asking does it REALLY needs to in the 2013 version of the game. I understand the need 10+ years when ago it was probably the most powerful aoe even at only one hex but now is it really 250 times more powerful than firestorm (as far as aging goes). It already has the drawback of killing off my party unless I make them wear Probes and GD armor making it a mostly solo spell (Yes I understand there is some lair somewhere where its still used)

My MA can stand there and spam sweeps till my fingers bleed for actual damage, my lowly 18 barb can massacre zoos just mashing b for an hour and both haven't passed young yet, yet my healer has to drink YP's like water to keep up with them if I want to use my best XP/coining spell. I'd like to catch up and actually see NL but mashing firestorm over and over when just stabbing things actually kills faster it just makes me wonder why it still needs to age 5k vs 10-20 for every other spell I currently have. I cant buy YP's from whatever NPC sells them yet because of my level, they don't drop at often enough for me to rely on and Olay will only sell me one every 11 years unless that's been fixed. I had saved up a locker and half when I was getting to EC skill level and blew through them in a couple weeks.

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok »

#form CRITCURE at thread

The short answer is your healer is awful in Cobrahn. The long answer is your healer is awful in Cobrahn without a party. Even with PSICRUSH you'll only deal a fraction of the damage other classes can deal, because psionics are terrible in Cobrahn. See my posts regarding mentalist damage vs. weapon damage. Everything in Cobrahn has (up to) 3-4 built in psi-cutters. Psionic damage does not scale well at all. PSICRUSH is about 20 damage per hard-earned skill level? Cobrahn weapons are scaled up to fit the scenario. Moreover, weapons don't age you. You can't keep up solo. Not as a healer. There's no answer I can give you that you'll like, in those regards.

However, healer is pretty party friendly. Sure, your offensive abilities are terrible (in Cobrahn), but even at low skill levels you have something to offer party members. AUTOHEAL is great for anyone that's not a barbarian. AGILITY prevents some damage. STRENGTH makes your friends hit harder (like rubbing salt in your wounds). AID makes them hit more often. Not to mention healing, because a sack of IHs only goes so far in crazy scenarios.

So you really just need friends to play with if you want to play a healer. It isn't 100% leeching since your buffs and healing can speed along the grinding. But for this scenario to work, there would need to be people actually playing in low end areas. Or at all. I think everyone camps a handful of areas in Nameless.

Or you can PSICRUSH KM-4/5. I don't know how the skill gains compare, but the experience isn't bad. Plus the enemies can be hurt by your disciplines.