Drakkar is going to die... Suggestions to bring Drak Back

If you have an idea post it here
Irin

Re: Drakkar is going to die... Suggestions to bring Drak Bac

Post by Irin »

I still think the biggest thing hurting the game is the lack of info available. Who wants to pay $50.00 for NL when there is hardly any info out there on it. I still see people asking basic questions about Silver/Gold plan as well. People like to know what they are getting for their dollar. Every single game out there has instruction manuals included with it or at the very least a website with tons of info. I understand that some people think the "mystery" of the game is what makes it unique as well as thinking that players who need their hands held can go elsewhere. Those notions are fine if the current income is satisfactory for Brad.

Examples of info that should be given out to players (Posted on the Drakkar site):

* Specific info on the races. Hard numbers on what each race gets. Ie. +2 str on each roll, carries extra gold, and so on. None of this info should be a mystery as choosing a race is something that you stick with forever on that character except in extreme circumstances.

* Specific info on each class. Let players know what is in store for them. There are fan websites and even posts in these forums that outline a fair amount of what certain classes can expect, such as disciplines, but then other classes dont have alot of info readily available, for example thieves. All of their discs are known, but you dont see all of the boosts thieves get listed anywhere anymore. Would be nice to know what we got with that new skill level instead of a generic your skill has improved. Let players know what kind of gear they can use, basic stuff like scales, leather, etc.

* The exact bonuses that silver plan, gold plan, LGH and UGH all should be posted.

* Players should be able to read about Aleria, Cobrahn, NL and know what level would be good to adventure there. They should also know about the crazy alts as well as challenge. It would be great if players knew what levels were sufficient to hunt some areas. Instead we have everyone crammed into the same small areas.

The above is all information readily provided by the big game manufacturers when they release games. While some people think the mystery in this game is great, its also what turns some people off.

tomodachi

Post by tomodachi »

A few more things that should be posted somewhere for new and existing players to know :

--What each spell/discipline does. If not the actual points of damage/level at least the basic information. Spells like regeneration for Healers, Passwall,enchant, Imbue, confusion and Corspray for Mentalist. This is BASIC information that should be provided to allow a new player to make a decision as to what class to play.

--Quirks. Some information that is better than the tooltips would be great.

--Effects of stats, specifically Con on chances to lose perm HP or maximize HP/EP gain on a level up.

There are so many basic things that those of us who have been around for a long time take for granted but a new potential player will have no clue about.

Nameless land is the biggest joke of all. How you expect people to pay 50 bucks for something but not provide any kind of information as to WHY they should buy it is beyond me.

Drakkar is great most of the time. It has the potential to attract and keep a lot more paying customers. A little planning, a little more effort, a little more "care" and you (Brad) could generate a lot more income. Get your sysops to each submit sections of accurate information for an online guide, toss it in PDF for download or blast it on to the main Drakkar page.

Do something...

Sitting back, doing nothing about it while the boat slowly sinks is dumb.

Infinity

Post by Infinity »

As far as information on disciplines, the in-game help does explain what each does. The amount of damage per level is something players test and share. Corspray is missing though.

I did include the Help files plus much more on our Wikia for those who want to browse information without running the game. Just look for the Help link.

Both ingame and Wikia Helps tell you something about each race and I believe so does the Roller. More was posted in the forums by Brad and when I can, I will add it to the Wikia under something like Brad's Lore; showing more of the changes and perks added that were revealed by Brad there.

http://kingdomofdrakkar.wikia.com/wiki/ ... akkar_Wiki

Mars
Admin
Admin

Post by Mars »

Right now, the Wiki is the best place to find the updated help file.
Several years ago when I updated the help file with more current info to include what each class gained at what level, it was written in old .hlp format. With the advent of Vista and now Win7 which use an entirely different format, the file was updated to work with these. I actually have a copy on my PC with WIN7 that I launch locally but not ingame, Brad has been unable to find a compiler that will bring it back into the stone ages to work with the Drakkar code <smile>

Irin

Post by Irin »

Aye, that wiki is a little bit clunky (which is how wiki's work). I still think something directly on the Drakkar website explaining the basics would be so helpful. Alot of the older sites that had guides and basic info are long gone with the demise of geocities and other similar hosts.

I was curious to see what was in the Help file but alas I use win7 and like you said, it wouldnt open for me.

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

I did play for several years straight on pay plan, then returned for several months at a time for years. Then would come in activate gold and UGH and play for a months at most. I have send over $100 via buddy pay to others, nameless, gold plan you name it. It all started a few years over 10 years ago.

I have quit this game about a year ago because of the luck of interest from people that run it.

You can not run a for-profit thing like this (even if it loses money) on a pretense like:

"oh, this is big and important enterprise, we can not do anything that others, likely not for profit GIANT games do"

Drakkar is small and not anything new and cutting edge, it is useless to pretend that it is important to make it new and cutting edge all of a sudden now with addition of something like java based client, or introduction of new graphics.

My take on what would really help Drakkar.

Yes, again.
-And although i do not log into the gae anymore and stripped my characters of all gear, which would not help logging in. I still feel like typing a bit, BECAUSE it used to be great AND unique game. That I liked very much.

#1. Maintain legacy artwork front end as a very important option giving it a special mention on the website, possibly again making it into a special download, now that it is fixed and can handle game with all the new additions.

#2. Come up with real wiki without endless adds.
-Best way is to host a wiki media script on your own server.
Above would make wiki into a true community portal allowing 3 functions as a center of activity:
Actual pages.
Discussion of pages.
Member pages.
-All of the above instead of add watching.

#3. Pay-for-play and free-to-play must be seriously changed.
Proposed change:
If you pay or do not pay you should be able to advance to the same level, be able to go to all of the lands and access places like GH and all of trainers, questors.
-You should be able to move with the crowd so to speak, otherwise it is really strange if you are guild member but can not enter into a GH, it is anti-social :)

Pay for play plan must be developed as a clear advantage plan as to how to advance not as to how far. It should affect your game play in a way of giving you extras like:
Faster exp gain;
Higher then base HP and any quest (just sell your pay-to-play customers some HP...);
Quirks gain can be made into pay to play only;
Additional lockers;
Additional sellers;

Make grand total of 2 plans only

Free and Pay. If you ever pay you must be able to go back to free if your pay runs out.

Free is free. -All of the game, lacking a few options but none on lands or quests or levels/skills.
Pay is $10 a month for an account of 4 characters. -Similar to a VIP status, all of the game, with a few perks.

Allowing pay characters to return as free if they want to will allow quite a few old timers to just log in.

Maintaining convoluted very big web of different plans similar to structure of 40(!!!) open (there is more) sub forums in here it's just too much, some one has to simplify things, straighten things out.

Best regards,
-Areyekuwe (One of the 21st century originals, although I did play in 20th century, i never did get any better size back then)

PS.
A little about my background, I have good background in both arts and sales.
So, legacy artwork is just fine, according to me hehe
And no lot's of junk and wrinkles would need to be thrown out/ironed out before this would gain a for profit outlook.

PS2.
I am no longer mentioning a "like us on FB" button on the kingdomofdrakkar.com because there was an effort to work with FB and guess the simple button is too much work.

Its a mess with luck of focus and luck of interest so far.

Irin

Post by Irin »

I personally use the Legacy artwork as well. I know the only reason I use it is because its what ive used since day 1. I am guessing alot of the old timers use it and the newer players who were never "stuck" with those graphics probably use the newer ones. Would be interesting to have a poll and see just how many people use Legacy over the new graphics.

On a sidenote: I try and steer people away from the Facebook page. If I have to send someone there, I warn them that there are a bunch of unsavory people looking to instigate trouble at ever opportunity (badmouthing Drakkar, starting fights, whining about having to pay, beggars, trashing other guilds, and so on). It is not a good place to send people to get a positive representation of Drakkar. Its a shame really, because while I was part of the group, I did run into a fair amount of old time players that I used to play with. But the disgruntled antagonists there caused the negatives to outweigh the positives so I unsubscribed.

Coolcow

Post by Coolcow »

Hello all, Wolv/Coolcow here. It has been a while since I've been around but I stop by the forums from time to time to see if anything new is happening. I thought I might add my thoughts on the matter and my personal reasons for not playing anymore.

Through this thread it is obvious that the drakkar pay structure is outdated and in need of a new approach, and there have been a lot of great ideas on how to go about that. My concern is not so much on the money side as the community/gameplay aspect.

I believe my main is at 28/26. I payed for NL fairly soon after it came out, but never made it to a level where I was able to experience the content in any way. Since I was unable to put in nearly enough time, most of the long time players easily passed me in level, leaving me the option of grinding out 12 levels in UD-4 solo. The amount of time this would take is enormous, as most of you know, and I decided to quit rather than spend hours clicking skeletons to try to catch up to the people still playing. I believe this is one of the main problems for past and current users. The huge time gulf between active players and returning/new players. Drakkar, for me at least, was all about the community and playing with friends.

This is a problem every MMORPG faces after several expansions. One of the things I am excited to see, and would love to see come to Drakkar, is the scroll of resurrection in WoW. This allows a returning player to get a level 80 character, ready to run through the newest expansion with their friends. Drakkar needs to have something similar, some way of reconnecting players so that they can experience the content together. Playing for free or $30 a month doesn't matter to me because there is currently no incentive to do either.

Anyway, just my thoughts. It's good to see everyone, and I'll post something up on the returning players thread soon!

Coolcow____FEAR / Wolv____STORM

shadeth

Post by shadeth »

And if you do this "no class restriction" version. Please post something about it in the forums, since I continue to check them and am on facebook.

FYI: This would bring back my two paid accounts. As well as my two gaming friends, that go where I go.

Thanks,
Shadeth

Volcom

Post by Volcom »

shadeth u should come back just to see me. im up and playing again for some reason or another haha

find me in #axe on mIRC

Vsari

Post by Vsari »

I know I am late to the party.

In my honest opinion if at all possible I think its time to turn Drakkar into a 100% F2P game with a skin/potion shop. All lands would be free and no limitations. The potion shop would contain temporary increased skill gain , temporary boosts in HP , temporary increased EXP gain , stat potions , HP/MP gain toward max and HP lost recovery pots..ect.

The Skin shop would contain exclusive skins players could by for their characters.. Have an MA crit and want to look the part? Enjoy your new MA looking avatar!

And then for wishful thinking... Start making a new game possibly based off of Drakkar with HD sprites , tiles and the like. Possibly look into the Unity Engine its cheap but powerful. I would be happy to buy things in the Drakkar Shop and Donate more if I knew a new game was in the works.

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

Bump.

Here is a game with millions of subscribers.

Here is what the did.

Here is what happened.

"....On June 4, 2010, it was announced the game was to add a free to play option in the Autumn, with an in-game store. Free to play was successfully launched in North America on September 10, 2010. After a delay in Europe free to play went live on November 2, 2010.[77] During the following six months the company reported tripled revenues from the title....."

Free to log in and play - plenty of things to buy, in ADDITION.

Best regards,
" " -was here.

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

This here $24.99 is too high.
Rethink what is an add-on, make it worthwhile.
And price it at $10.
Make it possible to go from pay to free and still be able to log into the game.
New Subscription Plan: Platinum

After receiving massive feedback to create a reduced-rate plan that encompassed guild halls for all slots, we have spent the significant development effort to create a new PLATINUM subscription plan.

This includes:

- All the benefits of GOLD
- Premium guild halls ( including all benefits ) on each of your four character slots

Also included:
- No natural aging to your characters
- Reduced "stress" based aging per month subscribed to platinum
- Increased bank maximum per month subscribed
- Increased leadership gains per party member with a platinum subscription
- Additional leadership gain bonus for each month the leader has been subscribed to platinum

All at only $24.95 / month ( a 40% savings ).

We have been wanting to put this in for a while ( players #3 requested change ), but technical limitations made it difficult. Please give us feedback if you have any issues.

*NOVEMBER SPECIAL* Subscribe to platinum in november and incur *NO* upgrade charges over your current plans!

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

A simple thing that would amount to something:
Allow every member in the guild to enter the GH.
Then,
Do not allow them to use portals or be able to buy things in the stores, unless they are on the "Pay" plan.

I rather like "VIP"

Then some thinking could be done in regards to the useless items available in the store, work on them, put something usefull up in there.

Lots of things like this can be done in order to provide meaningfull contents for the game and for the VIP status characters.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Allowing accounts to go from Subscribers to Free sounds cool and could be something to generate additional cash..

This may bring back some of the community back and lets face it, if they're on free now they're not going to cost you anything, other than a little extra bandwidth.

Drakkar used to be all about the community, since the community has died off so has the game.

Please just add some additional technology to portal people back to Nork if they-re in a paid for scenario (NL/Aleria/Cob).

You already have this for GuildHall subscribers, if they are logged out in GH then log back in after the subscription has expired they are ported to a small room with only a portal to the Nork restore point available.

Surely having people around on FREE with the potential of them becoming a customer is better than NOT having them around at all?

Brad, this post was directed at you and I (and everyone else) would appreciate your feedback on this.
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

Re: Longbeard's Merlin's posts...

I think pricing is a piece of the issue, but the other issue is simply marketing. How do you get eyeballs on the game in the first place? Once a new player tries out the game, how do you keep them?

So you have to address both...IF you want the game to thrive.

That's a big IF. Brad does this is in his spare time if I understand correctly. The amount of work/time/effort are being balanced against a full time job, family, etc. I can only assume, based on what I've seen in the last dozen years, that this is indeed a hobby for Brad, and as such, he's not going to be able to devote the time and effort to take the game to another level. That's not a knock, btw...a man's gotta eat and take care of his family. It just seems to be the reality.

Toasticle

Post by Toasticle »

The biggest and most likely permanent roadblock to getting new people is the borderline rabid hatred from players and devs over the idea of lower levels getting anything they don't 'deserve' whatever that means. The game is not 1-30 anymore and hasn't been in over a decade, leaving anyone new wandering around in zones devoid of any other players unable to to do more than half the lairs or quests so why would they stay?

Yeah it may bother you for some reason that a low level has gear they didnt 'earn' but who gives a crap? You want them to join the rest of the players not put in level limits and restrictions on gear they will mostly dump once they get to play with the majority of the game. Get them where they can play with other people (Actually PLAY not just get powerleveled or carried through areas) and they'll stay.

Games that have staying power are the ones that realized lower levels are no longer the game and implemented ways to get people through the low levels faster so they can play in areas with other people, not obsess over gear level restrictions or stupid stuff like 'binding' gear to an instance like cob. Which thanks for that, my F/M is screwed now since he went into cob and now cant use any of his non-cob gear since hes only 19 and now all his gear is level 20 restricted. When stuff like that happens people quit. Say you opened cob to any level, they get a bunch of powerful gear and get to 18 super fast. That's bad why exactly? (assuming skill gain also got a major boost up to say 15 or so) Yeah they'll miss stuff like Aleria but its not like they can do any of the quests solo or duo anyway so who cares?

Get over this attitude and make it faster and easier for new people to join the rest of the players and they might stay. Make them wander around nork and aleria alone because they didnt 'earn' their gear and they quit.

Heh, who am I kidding, like that would ever happen :p

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

Toasticle wrote:The biggest and most likely permanent roadblock to getting new people is the borderline rabid hatred from players and devs over the idea of lower levels getting anything they don't 'deserve' whatever that means.

When you start off a post with such over the top nonsense, you forfeit any credibility the readers may have been inclined to grant you. After that first sentence, I knew I wouldn't find any actual substance in your post, but I was goaded into skimming the rest to see what other ridiculous bon mots you might toss off. Like this one:
Toasticle wrote: Which thanks for that, my F/M is screwed now since he went into cob and now cant use any of his non-cob gear since hes only 19 and now all his gear is level 20 restricted. When stuff like that happens people quit.
At risk of being the "get off my lawn" guy, you really don't have a clue how much easier it is to level today then it was 10 or 15 years ago. It may not be insta-level, but your claims to the contrary, there's a large population out there that doesn't want to be handed their levels. They take satisfaction in growing their crits.
Toasticle wrote:Get over this attitude and make it faster and easier for new people to join the rest of the players and they might stay. ...

Heh, who am I kidding, like that would ever happen :p
Ah yes...honey, vinegar, flies, etc.

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

Well I do not think that problem of this game is lack of common sense of something,
Player or dev side,
Problem is, common sense is not common, never was.

So to say something to the effect:

Stop pretending that the rest of the world does not exist, go to a few websites and look, then copy the layout.

That will not bring me anywhere, I have done this in this thread, in private message and e-mail and so on and so forth.

After posting links and stuff, talking for a while I would get, "Is that game for-profit?"
And I would be like: "Yeah! Big time, listen to me, they have 200,000 subscribers, blah, blah, blah..."
And they be like, "They can not be as old and stu..., I mean profitable like Drak, so, no reason to change anything!"

Drakkar needs several things:

Cometetive pricing. $10 gets you everything. VIP / non-VIP switch at any moment, regardless of which, ability to log-in and enjoy the game. Going from pay to free in other words.

Promote game as completely free to play, then provide content like quirks for VIP status players, -can be lot's of content here....

Complete overhaul of the website / forums. (Looking at other webpages at this point can be helpful...)

Streamline everything, merge tabs / subforums.
Get actual wiki script hosted, - it allows user pages, which is great and efortess.

Make players promote the game, getting the name out there, Facebook "Like" button on every page. Social media is pretty important these days...

In general integrating with Facebook can be great.
Setup people login with FB account can be great.

crosisroar

Post by crosisroar »

I could see Drakkar having a facebook game or several, have something like defend Aleria from a seige, could make it some type of tower defence game with each class set up as defenders. Have it some how linked to your drakkarzone account and have it give you in-game bonus's like the old add bonus from mpgn days. There could be several different games with different bonus's or items given out for completing each game. Or if you wanted to stick more closely to Drakkar make a game where you could play legacy characters like Blackjack_RIP, Elessar_RAGE or any other of the first to 50 characters, and just make it a boss fight, just like 2-3 screens in size like the multilair with a prep area or a gauntlet style run like n-9 with prizes like overmax stats, coin, skill, or even temp pieces of gear with slightly over powered adds, make it nothing crazy but something that might make someone who just happened to play the facebook game want to start playing the real one.

I love drak and would hate to see it gone, this was the first online game i ever played back in the mid 90s and its the only game to make me come crawling back more then once over the years.

Alvar

Post by Alvar »

You want to bring drak back? Tis the wrong question. How about bringing new players in?

Firstly, lets not dismiss the irony that this post is; replying to a resurrected 2 year old dead thread.

that said... (caution... rant AND sarc on)
Ideas to help drakkar bring in new players? Let's take a second to look at outward presentation / newbie experience.

1) how about a website that explains the game. I challenge anyone to contact a friend who has never played; have them look at http://www.kingdomofdrakkar.com... and in less than 5 minutes, explain what the game is about.
At least the current news item isn't still talking about the 'valentines event going on now', like it was in JUNE of 2013. However... the sysop Journal IS a nice start, clicking the top entry, scrolling to the last posts gets you --- 'Lobby Screen Shot' You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. --- Posted on March 14th, 2012. --- That is the LAST post in that thread.
If I've never played the game, that sure makes me tremble with anticipation...
Perhaps all of the broken links in the 'fan sites' section will entice me... that is if I get past all of the warnings telling me not to click on those links.

2) how about empowering sysops... and convincing them to help/answer dz pms... vs having them extoll how they are 'evil'?

3) how about a concise explanation in ONE place about what you get for your $'s spent? Like item#1, I challenge you, dear reader, to get a non-playing (never heard of Drak) friend and ask them to find/explain the benefits of playing for free vs $5, $10, $17... up too spending $25/month/account. Free beer to anyone who passes the challenge. PM a sysop when you succeed. Better yet, have them start by ASKING a sysop. Oh; and you can start them on ANY Web page, including ANY thread posts (where all good new players would think of looking).

4) How about losing the tip of the spear attitude... (if you're not at the tip of the spear, you get the shaft). I.e., 99% of all new content is for the 5% of the players who've trudged though the rest of the content. How about some additions that gets people engaged at lower levels, vs. the hand-me-down-quickly attitude that is rampant in the game? I realize part of this is players, but we've seen shades of tech that can solve part of this problem, and (very) small content additions that verify it can happen. As a player, am I part of this problem? Hell yes! :)

5) How about a starting place (school of nork) where you actually learn something? Right now; 11/24/2013 (or for those outside the US 24/11/2013), once you figure out how adjust your screen resolution and roll a crit, then log in... you are put in a 1x2 room with a closed door to the west, and a stairwell down. Awesome. Moving through the door, following a few hallways (I guess you're teaching me how to move and hoping I only click 1 tile at a time so I can contact that friend in game that I don't have and learn how to YELL), the first thing you see is a blue tagged crit called NPC. He tells you how you need to type without typos... Really? In this day and age? First time player? You just lost me. Since I've been playing on-and-off since the early '90s... I might bite, but my keyboard skill will put me at a disadvantage... hopefully the game won't require texting abilities.

6) When a new player enters chat, and asks newbie questions, how about having a sysop actually answer them? Yes, IF there are active good players on, they will do that work for you... but do you really want to rely on that? Better yet, how about a nice email that explains the game fundamentals and how to start playing as soon as they sign up? How about a video? Can't make one? There's an app out there for that.

</rant>

Do I really think this is a problem/issue? Nah, I believe that the dev is comfortable where he is at, collecting a few coins from us old players who just won't stop paying :)

Wolverine2

Post by Wolverine2 »

As I have heard, there was a new tutorial that was made. I forget whether Mars or Omni did it, but both have put enormous amounts of effort into developing the game in a way. Unfortunately, the system crashed and that work was lost near its completion, and since then, the skills have been put to other places. Omni, has developed HUGE additions to the holiday events. There are lairs in about 3 different events now off the top of my head and they are extremely challenging (and were fun to figure out how to get in, like the HATE lair for valentine's day... I have fond memories of being the first non-beta tester figuring out how to get into the lair lol)...

Long story short, there were 102 members on today. That's what the old average was back in the more active days that I played. People come back, especially around now, and they stick around until v-day...then people dwindle out until the next year. The new content for high level players brings back about 5 players that pay about 5 accounts each from what I have seen. The game is just as active in my eyes as it was years ago, just depends on the time of year, and whether people actually are active before they post here and ----- and whine about what needs to be done.

In my eyes, if you have an IDEA for what can be done to improve mid player content... like a well developed explanation, maybe a sample map, entrances, exits, quests... I'm sure any of the sysops would at least look at it, and if it is actually well-thought-out to the point where their job is made easy, they'd try to implement it. Saying SOMETHING needs to be done is a lot less effective than here's a PLAN that can be done :-)

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok »

Did we save Drakkar yet? I'm totally on board with brainstorming ideas for mid-game. I've been playing characters from 1-30 for over 15 years of my life. I can do this.

Wolverine2

Post by Wolverine2 »

Brought back an old topic. Drakkar is here, you just gotta want to play it man.

Mantorok

Post by Mantorok »

Wolverine2 wrote:Brought back an old topic. Drakkar is here, you just gotta want to play it man.
As of this posting:
http://screencast.com/t/0tDAnwetoB

So yeah, I'm down for brainstorming. I posted some ideas about balancing early game weapon choices a while back. It wouldn't necessarily draw new players to the game, but it would help keep the ones that find it.

I know the help files and newbie school are mostly outdated/irrelevant at this point. What kind of ideas should we be working on to present to sysops? New dungeons? New player guides? Class guides? A player-submitted revision of the newbie school? Something else? I'm practically brimming with ideas.