Brad
Admin
Admin

Returning Players Sounds Off!

Post by Brad »

Lets have an old-folks soundoff.

1) Your most well known character
2) When you first started playing
3) Server you started playing on ( DISK, MPG-Net, iEN or DrakkarZone )
4) The biggest thing that happened to you because of drakkar
5) The best friend you made
6) Most surreal drakkar experience

1) Soyer
2) Vt100 on Disk
3) DISK
4) Failed calc 3 2 times, Diff EQ once, lost an air force hip pocket scholarship
5) Too many to mention.
6) A lawyer for a divorcing customer called me about seperation of the characters on an account as marital assets

Brad
Admin
Admin

Re: Returning Players Sounds Off!

Post by Brad »

Oh! Returning players, PLEASE update your email addresses so we can keep up with you!

Tons of bounces! Your characters want to say hi! haha

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

1. Terrel
2. 1993?
3. MPGnet
4. I went heavily into debt at a young age!
5. Hacksaw

Ozymandius

Post by Ozymandius »

1) Ozymandius
2) uhh dunno maybe 97
3) MPG-net
4) Guildie convinced me I should go back to college and am now attending college
5) Many
6) Meeting another person who played drak in the small town I was living in.

Poldarn

Post by Poldarn »

1: Zulnoth
2: 2001-2002
3: DrakkarZone
4: Probably got a d in english... lol.
5: Lots, but likely Crusher (Tirith and Shoel get a mention)
6: unsure really, i suppose one of the coolest things was my first gk2 hunt, back when they were hard, and doing it fully geared without getting stripped :D

Cirion

Post by Cirion »

In response to Terrel, him and hacksaw along with the rest of KAM in the short stint I was along with them were a few of the greatest people I played drakkar with, not to mention the most kind and generous people I've ever had the pleasure to meet online or in any place for that matter. Thumbs up from someone that has been around this game for 11 years off and on. Dunno if this is relevant to topic but I figured I ought to throw in my two cents, just reading this thread brought up old memories. But anyways since I started playing again recently,

1: Cirion
2: think it was 98 or 99... was 12 or 13 years old lol
3: started in IEN
4: well nothing comes to mind really played a lot of the game when I dropped out of highschool at 15, wouldn't say it was because of drak but there was a lot of playing going on.
5: can't name only one friend i've made
6: my best drakkar experience was wardens hunt with ASH when Boramier and I got our excally's

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

1) John__SIN
2) 2003
3) DrakkarZone
4) Skydiving with guildmates.
5) Pepma and Darge ( Best Brah's For Life )
SIN

Tanuvien

Post by Tanuvien »

1) Kes_MoY
2) 1997
3) MPG-Net
4) Met my to-be wife on Drakkar
5) Many
6) Not sure

Migam

Post by Migam »

I asked Brad if this was only for returning players, I decided no answer meant No ;)

1) IronClad__WOLF
2) ~ Winter 2001
3) iEN, the final months
4) The boss tends to still casually peer at my monitor while we talk in my office. Even 7 years after catching me Drakking during work, he checks :D . Geez, Dad, I don't even have time to play at lunch anymore !
5) Many but First friends: Flint (srflynn64) and Memnoch (per Mem, just acquaintances lol)
Best friend: Cid (aw shaddup!) :P
6) Ingame: Going to kill Banditlord and seeing his name was changed to Typo :| (smacks Mars and dodges)
RL: Long ago, reacting to anything in real life that from corner-of-eye resembled a pointy yellow pot (sighs).
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

1) Merlin
2) 1997ish
3) iEN
4) a huge impact on all the studying I was supposed to be doing for exams, hey I got a 50/30 ment instead!
5) Far too many to name, Tirith,Cobra,Travis,Xerxes,Jhosche
6) I met up with Jhosche back in 2003/4ish on his visit to England
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Tirith
Title: The Raging Darge

Post by Tirith »

1) Tirith... Back on iEN was better known as Jinisis
2)1999
3) IEN
4) Not really any biggest things that have happened to me because of drakkar, however I would say its provided me with so much entertainment over the years.. More than any other game i have played has. I remember sitting in class in high school thinking about what i wanted to do in drak.. what skill i want to build up.
5)I've met so many wonderful people and plenty of friends who I talk to even away from drakkar.. to name a few Merlin, Travis, Niko, Nightwish, Caligula, Zane, Zulnoth, Crusher, Rayon.
6) Dreams.. I've awoken to so many dreams about drak. Wake up, in my dream having a skilling session, realize it wasnt real and upset because i spent all that time skilling and got nothing from it.

Hah.. actually wanted to add one of my favorite drak moments.. Me, Zulnoth, and Crusher killed lanapi... This was the fourth lanapi kill to go down if my resources are correct (Drazi killed the first one solo apparently, then there were 2 hunts done by a huge group of players that were doing lazloths) But our kill of lanapi was the first legit hunt without zerging it. It was a crazy hard hunt and we pulled it off.. What a great feeling we shared that day.

Blondie79

Post by Blondie79 »

1) Stealth
2) 2004
3) DZ
4) Nothing really happened, but i did meet some wonderful people and friends..
5) Ive met some great people - the list is long but heres a few, Palimus, Stalker, Zeebs, Deewa there is so many more but id be here all day.
6) Most surreal drakkar experience - hmm ill get back to you with that one..

Warpath

Post by Warpath »

1. Warpath__WILD
2. 2000
3. iEN
4. Nothing major I can think of.
5. WhiteHeart, Rock, Paledoor.
Last edited by Warpath on Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acron

Post by Acron »

1) Acron__KAM (Pally)

2) If memory serves me correctly it would have been somewhere around 98/99

3) iEN(?)

4) Nothing of significance comes to mind

5) I had the fortune of starting out this game with a rl friends who had played it for quite a while (Alderon & Flagg). During my play I was welcomed into the KAM guild and had the opportunity to meet a lot of extremely nice and helpful people. Some more vocal than others ;-P... Hacksaw, Glyph, Fire, Darkair, Littlejohn, Aurelius, Eowyn, Malice and Eejit as well as many others.... I am sure I missed a few <apologies> 8-)

Cyric

Post by Cyric »

Hiyo.

1) Cyric (Healer MGPN, Barb DZ)
2) 1993
3) MPGN (1993-1995) DZ (2004-*)
4) Like Terrel says. Seeing those huge CC bills ($4/hr from CompuServe or $2/hr from school)
5) My best friend at the time intro'd me to the game... (Eagle/Talon)
6) Seeing Beavis__ICE jump down into Ningy's lair nekkid before anyone knew what was there.. "There is a big snake down here"
Cyric

--Coming to you live from the Supreme Throne

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

1. Cobra_____ZAND (1990s) or Cobra______KAM (2000s)
2. 1994
3. MPG-Net
4. Don't know
5. Mykah
6. Learning I was 'big' when RIP needed my help on an MA reggie.
Last edited by Cobra on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stormwind

Post by Stormwind »

Can't say I'm returning exactly, I'm sorta kinda always here (on and off) when I have time to play.

1) Stormwind_WOLF
2) 1992
3) MPG-Net (I was Illuvitar_BANE back then)
4) I would say that it rather firmly entrenched my love of computers in general, which is why I now work in the IT industry. Damn you Brad!!! <grin>
5) Quite a few actually, everyone tagged WOLF for starters, lots of EDGE folks, heck even Mars who has had to put up with me, Bonecrusher and the rest of my guildees all these years - poor guy - lol.
6) This is more along the lines of distinct memories, of which I have oodles and oodles.

When BANE finally got our custom built guild hall, running through Orc Free Nork West to find and enter it was just a freakin thrill. We each had our own no-decay tile that we could just dump huge piles of stuff on, trainers, vendors with special versions of twigs and scrolls, a pool for EP restores like in Chip's lair, etc. If I remember right, it cost us around 200 meg of coin to buy it and ours wasn't bearly as fancy as the DOOM'ers GH. Keep in mind, there was no Aleria, no Cobrahn (yet) for coining and you paid by the HOUR to play so there was a very real 'cost' in dollars to custom guild halls.

Playing with a portable hole. It was how you passed a twig from one player to another.

Watching from the 'lobby' general table as DOOM, Slayer and ICE made the first attempt against the 'Warden' - and discovering it was 'Wardens' plural, lol. I think Soyer had to go sweep out their gear the first run through. I was still just a wee paladin at the time (around level 18 or 19 I think).

My Mom answering the phone one day and it being a call from Betty (Phantom, Omelas), the BANE Guild Leader at the time and she wondering why strange, obviously older women were calling me, her teenage son <grin>. She didn't understand the urgency of helping a guild out after they'd just 'wiped'. Parents... I tell ya.

I think I actually met Brad, long long (omg that was a long time) ago at one of the big Computer Expo's at the Jacob Javits center in NY. There was an MPGN booth and they had brochures for Drakkar, Market Garden and a few other games. There was a PC or two also that had a connection into Drakkar. Wish I still had the brochures.

Recieving an actual physical copy of the Mentalists Handbook, which was written by Cosmos_BANE.

That insane FireGiant hunt where most of the major guilds at the time had wiped multiple times, one after another. Most people were on their 3rd and 4th sets of backup gear. Silent had to come online and use his guardian ring to earthcrush him to death. There were supposed to be 2 kinds of guardian rings - the normal kind that made disciplines under some skill level free to cast, but with no skill gain and then the unique one Silent had which doubled your effective skill. The rumor I think was that the very first BD kill dropped that Guardian ring. I don't think Silent was the original finder, but maybe another old timer remembers?

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

Stormwind,

Didn't realize you were Illuvatar___BANE! Not that I knew you well, but saw you sitting in the lobby way back ;>

Actually met Omelas...introduced me to Magic the Gathering. Only time I ever played it!

Unless Cosmos was also Xanadu, I'm going to disagree with you on that. I still have my Mentalist's Handbook, written by Xanadu_____ICE. What a great read that was....what a nice guy he was!

I was in SAGE at that point, and he was kind enough to pull our guild's dp's out of Chipuda's lair...he probably lost a few hp's, keeping in mind you couldn't get them back in those days! I remember during a guild hunt the leader (Tiennek...who had another name or 3 also) showing us young recruits Chip's lair. Man...the hair on the back of my neck was raised!! Actually, we were in the entrance hall...scared witless...and out pops Chip....never saw any crit in game move that fast! (Of course, it was probably just an illusion having to do with the round timer and my screen update, but it seemed like he was hasted.) Before I could do anything, he nailed 2 or 3 of us...probably 1 shotted us. The fear of losing hits you couldn't recover, and the very real fear that your gear was going to be lost forever...that was special!

Fun stuff! :)

Stormwind

Post by Stormwind »

Cosmos was absolutely the original author. I am not sure if anyone else added to the original handbook.

I 'think', Cosmos may have changed his name to Xanadu though. There were a few BANE members who switched to the ICE guild because BANE was more of a growing guild (like DOOM is nowadays) whereas ICE was a high-end guild much as the original DOOM, Slayer, etc.

Roganemor(sp?), Tristan and I think Cosmos and Barrabas (the orignal - not his son who I think currently runs his account) all moved over to ICE as they grew - all former BANE. Cosmos changed his name due to the stigma attached to it. Poor guy tried to help out on a Slicer hunt that had gone really bad, there were a few groups involved. BANE had a broom and he tried to help sweep out the lair and forgot to sweep in a direction. Definately was not a good day for him. Yup - really a nice guy so all the worse for him.

Sage was originally EDGE wasn't it? I know EDGE was one of the guilds around in the day, then I thought they merged EDGE and maybe WAR or RUNE to make SAGE then reverted back to EDGE? I know I'm a bit foggy on that one, but the current EDGE site still mentions SAGE.

You old timers remember the old Lobby tags people had entering and exiting the tables/chat rooms?

I distinctly remember, I believe it might have been Stalker and his 'Rollin, Rollin, Rollin, keep those Rockmen Rollin' since he spent so much time in Homlet (the hunting ground of choice for the high end players back then).

There was another fella, an MA whose saying was 'It isn't easy being green'. Ironatuk maybe? Somethin like that. Good MA, independent who was nevertheless willing to help out.

Acaciam

Post by Acaciam »

OT, but...

Sage was a merger of the top guilds at the time EDGE, RAGE, RIP I know of for sure. ASH, KAM, STORM? Not sure, but it was several guilds.
I think it was Extreme's idea, but it soon dissolved (lasted a month maybe?) and all players reverted to their former guilds.
This was summer 2002.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Acaciam wrote:OT, but...

Sage was a merger of the top guilds at the time EDGE, RAGE, RIP I know of for sure. ASH, KAM, STORM? Not sure, but it was several guilds.
I think it was Extreme's idea, but it soon dissolved (lasted a month maybe?) and all players reverted to their former guilds.
This was summer 2002.
I remember that didn't last long at all!
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

Hmm, I'm not familiar with that incarnation of Sage; I was likely on a Drakkar hiatus in 2002.

The original was back on MPGN, and was an entry level guild. Most folks didn't stay, but eventually moved on to other guilds. For fun, here are some of the names I remember:

Tiennek (guild leader)
Grypp, asst leader (aka Glyph, who passed away a couple of years ago. Part of his will was to keep his account alive, so you'll see the character around today)
Shay...aka Hacksaw. This is not Bree/Mykah...two different Shay's
Headhunter
Benefacio
Faralyn
Jinkoa/Dios at some point, before he joined DOOM?

There were, of course, many others, but time tends to dim the memory. I'm sure some of the current player base was in on MPGN as well (Daxxon/Eros, I think?).

Alderon

Post by Alderon »

1) Your most well known character
Alderon____KAM
2) When you first started playing
3) Server you started playing on ( DISK, MPG-Net, iEN or DrakkarZone )

MPGN '97 Think I still have a disc around somewhere :)
4) The biggest thing that happened to you because of drakkar
Simply all the real life friends I have made. I have met several of the KAM guild + many others in person through several trips.
Philly area with Eowyn, Fingolfin, Dontar, Eejit, Terrel, oh gosh guys, help an old man out! Who am I missing?
We did trips to NY, Wash DC.
Toronto with Ryan, Termin, Acron. Dontar
Vegas with Hacksaw.
Tenn. with Philbert and wife, Eejit
Fla. with Eddie, Danny
I'm sure i've missed a few more...but it is special when you make real life friends all over the country through a game like this!
5) The best friend you made
Really hate to say this...it hurts....Eejit. Yeah, yeah, I know. Have to admit it. I have visited Scotland several times now and he has been to the states at least 6-7 times.
6) Most surreal drakkar experience
Not sure how surreal it is but the feeling after grunting for 20+ hours and falling asleep at the keyboard. Waking up an unknown time later and finding yourself at the restore spot stripped!!! I'm sure I can't be the only one, but that feeling of dred and trying to remember where the heck you were before falling asleep!

Drewstr

Post by Drewstr »

1)Had a few... Auramancer_SIN/Kas/Firestorm
2)First account in 1999.. Didn't play actively until 2001
3) iEN
4) Made friends that will last a lifetime
5) Too many
6) On my 22nd birthday I was in a random club and the DJ ended up being a drak player (Pans/Nas were his crit names back when)

Crusher

Post by Crusher »

1) Crusher
2) 1997 - I was 9 years old. Played on F2P Drak for a while, 13/7 was the cap, but you could get to 13/8.
3) MPG-Net
4) Failed quite a few classes in High School from doing daily Laz runs. I still remember the giant list of names and tallies next to each name for who gets the next robes.
5) Zulnoth
6) The massive groups required for some lairs, Chipper, Reggie, Slith, Uther, Bresh. How getting to 18/15 was a large feat. I had over 10 years invested in the game, not just minor play, but non-stop. Then RL got in the way. Still never regret it. Waiting for the moment to come back.
You'll never win... PLEAD INSANITY!