Why F/M?

Place to discuss F/Ms
Mars
Admin
Admin

Why F/M?

Post by Mars »

What are the pros and cons as you the player see F/M and when do you think is the best time and method to dedicate. i.e. right away, wait till 20, start as fighter, start as ment

Tirith
Title: The Raging Darge

Replying to Topic 'Why F/M?'

Post by Tirith »

f/m's are a half class that werent useful, until brad made nameless land and used his l33t programming skills to make everything impossible to hit by players, thus giving f/ms the to-hit discs to make them considered "their own class"

Ambrose
Title: Always Right

Replying to Topic 'Why F/M?'

Post by Ambrose »

Originally posted by Mars_Sysop

What are the pros and cons as you the player see F/M and when do you think is the best time and method to dedicate. i.e. right away, wait till 20, start as fighter, start as ment
I started my FM as a ment .. maxed ep at level 1 by coining in N-6 on my pally. I rested to level 13 as ment since FMs' ep gains on rest stink. Then I dedicated to FM and did my hit points at HP doc. I felt this was a good compromise between ep and hp ... since that time there have been additions to the game and new ways to get ep and hp and new limits thereof.

I like the FM concept: but those sacrifices that have been made for the sake of game balance make it a less played class.

luckyman

Re: Why F/M?

Post by luckyman »

my ment is 13/9/8 (ls) i want to dedicate him to f/m and just had a few questions ive had a lot of people tell me to wait untill lvl 20 is it really much better than if i went down there at lvl 15 and did it? why should you wait untill lvl 20? and can f/m's wear blue full plates and pally gaunts?

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

Wait til your are lvl 20 since you are already a mentalist. The reason you wait til 20 is so that you can get all the EP you can. If you max EP at 500 as a ment, get two rests in with the highest amount if INT that you can have, you should be overmax for a lvl 50 F/M EP. If you start at 15, you will not have much EP at all.

Yes, my F/M wore his Blue FP til 25 when I put my Tortulan Plate on.

Wore my Pally Guants til I get my Ment and Fighter FG Gaunts.

luckyman

Post by luckyman »

can they also use excallibur?

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

F/M's can use items that are fighter or ment class reqed.

Since excalibur is fighter/paladin reqed, they can't use it.
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

luckyman

Post by luckyman »

ok i think ive got the items done now thanks :)

Chance

Post by Chance »

Why f/m,,,,, who knows, there are certanly very few reasons to dedicate this way from what i have seen.

Quaternion

Post by Quaternion »

I disagree there are many good reasons to become a fm albeit most of those are at the end game stage such as skill 39 no stat lost haste. In fact having this makes the haste of a regular ment obsolete. Like a healer they are very much a support class but that is ok if thats what you want.

FM - 76/39/37/36

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

F/M 78/39/39/39/39

I love my FM and ma's and pallys love my FM even more! the haste is constantly dished out.

I use my FM as a support class, but he can deal some pretty niiiiiiiice damage himself too.
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Migam

Post by Migam »

I have a middling GS F/M of Cob/starter NL size. At this point, it's a ment with extra attacks and hp. It's always partied with my Main acct so I haven't truly judged how it fares using melee solo and it doesn't have 1 tier yet.

I took the fighter path, unfated because of the challenge, 450 ep @ 20, single specced in GS/Mace/Axe. My goal is to be fighter before ment. Chose GS user (for now) as it hits hard and I figure tiers//quirks/abilities should fix the accuracy issues. If not, oh well. My "low" ep means the need to choose between PC ammy and ep regen on ud4 as holding it is impractical unless I pause for ep regen or get blocked alot. Again, tiers/quirks/abilities fix that too. Likely won't get killer SS for floating ep later unless I switch to single-handed like mace or axe ( shield is a pipe dream unless I do either) if some new axe is available.

I look forward to enjoying this class though I do have a Main account pally and thief to keep F/M safe. I'd like to believe I can run it solo all over but the reality might be just for support.

The solo player with F/M as a Main not near endgame will find it difficult from what I hear. Those referencing their huge F/Ms and endgame, was it still more support class from sub-Primal up to BDH and should I look forward to months of servitude to my Main til SDH size?
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

I've always been intrigued by the MMO concept of 'each class must be the best at something', in order to be a "good" class.

My question is.. is this true? Is there room for a generalist? Or a class that has situational abilities?

I'm not pulling either way, i'm just curious ( because the F/M by nature falls into this mysterious category ).

shadeth

Post by shadeth »

Brad wrote:I've always been intrigued by the MMO concept of 'each class must be the best at something', in order to be a "good" class.

My question is.. is this true? Is there room for a generalist? Or a class that has situational abilities?

I'm not pulling either way, i'm just curious ( because the F/M by nature falls into this mysterious category ).
Your old ninja class was a good example of this. I found it the most enjoyable class because of its diversity, even though it was not as "good" (powerful) as a pure class. With pure classes, I would get bored grunting in the same way over and over again. However, with the "generalist" ninja class I could switch abilities and ended up playing A LOT more...haha.

The ninja class took A LOT longer to build but once it was big, I think you found it took powerful. So, if you do pull this way again try to protect from the issues you found bad in the ninja type blends.

sha'Deth

Chance

Post by Chance »

I havent finnished my F/M yet but im getting there. 70/31/31

Mayby there is room for a generalist.

but brad end game drakkar is very Team based or party based.
You need your sticks you need a healer, ments do mass damage in short burts and are very versatile.

there arnt any situations that you think Dang we need a F/M for this???

truth told as I get bigger this class is beggining to make more sence
but it helps I have the luxery of other crits to help exp/skill it
2 weeks ago i didnt and found myself basically unable to play this class.

dont know if thats what you are wondering.

Acaciam

Post by Acaciam »

With the free haste and dead eye i think its always handy to have a f/m around.

What are your quirks like? I think you'll find the battlemage quirks will allow you to go further than some purely stick classes.