200+

General User Chat
tekcap

Re: 200+

Post by tekcap »

Since there doesnt seem to be much motivation from the game producers to rework the newbie zone, there is another more simple solution. Instead of the tiles, have a sort of pop up window appear that teaches you everything the tiles do + more. Instead of wasting time on coding some fancy NPC that talks and answers your questions, pop up windows would probably be much easier.

I'm only a week old here but I used to play way back when. Its easy for me to be so motivated to get more people but I guess when someone has been around for the last 10 years, they probably get used to seeing the player count go down.

uebersoldat

Post by uebersoldat »

Merlin thanks for the reply on the Facebook advertising. It's paid per click or paid up to a certain amount of clicks then they pull the ad. Might be worth throwing a few bucks at to see what happens!

...but are the mods/Brad even interested in promoting this game? There has to be a tradeoff, for more people and $$ coming into Drakkar that means they really will need to step up the development.

Guaranteed that most people have never even heard of Drakkar, but there are still quite a few people out there that love little clicker games. Hence the popularity of Popcap's stuff. The good thing is once you get into the game, it just blows your mind with the depth!

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

To tell you the truth the truest form of advertising is still word of mouth 98% of all players in this game have been lead here by someone. It is the truest form of advertising it works get some in the door with gimmicks.. You can give it to Google they are do very well at the gimmick thing.

uebersoldat

Post by uebersoldat »

I think something else needs to be brought to the table. This is NOT a game for the weak of heart. If someone comes in wanting a cakewalk of a game, sorry, go somewhere else. What I mean by this is that the tiles and everything else people are saying we need to change to 'simplify' the game will cater to the people that will whine and gripe and cuss and scream the first time they drop down a hole and get eaten. Why lead those types of people on? This is a game that takes some dedication and a love of a D&D type atmosphere to get into, and those types of people are rewarded for an outstanding game in terms of depth and story. The key is getting to THOSE types of people, the folks that will enhance the community here not bring it down into a whiny drama-fest.

There is a type of gamer that WANTS a good game to learn, not another WoW. Look at the EvE Online demographic. EvE is by no means a simple game nor is it an easy game. It is, in fact, very difficult to really get into, but the folks who play it love it and would leave it if they changed the mechanics up too much. And EvE's customer base is no laughing matter!

Just my $.02

-Zedd____SLAYER

Migam

Post by Migam »

Word of mouth is an excellent way of bringing in new players as you know if that person would like this type of RPG prior to the invite and they are told what to expect (ie: graphics, gameplay) after the invite. Of course, you also get idiots who were invited by similar idiots who want to hang out with their friend and spew in dz. Those who have played a while and respect the game are all out of suggestions for good players to invite years ago.

Advertising can target many players but it has to be in the right market. You don't advertise Drakkar where most of the players who visit there play WoW or similar games. Drakkar is a shrinking genre as those playing this type of game are playing it as a standalone, non-net game or are as entrenched in their game as we are in ours.

I made a Myspace and Facebook for my pally, mentioned Drakkar, RPGs so that if someone does a search in Friends for rpgs, games, they might stumble on this and try it. I'd encourage each Guild to make a guild page on each service too as well as Brad if he hasn't done so. If others did this as well and joined the Omni Friends list, that might spread the word some more, especially among the random people who ask to join Facebook friends list to grow their Apps' clan, mafia, army, etc., some I've seen have 5000+ friends, that's quite a few. Maybe some will get tired of these free Apps and shell out $4.95 or more to Drak. Just a change in status referencing Drakkar now and then would appear on Newsfeed.

Keeping current veterans playing is harder unless you crank out the new content and it's not a farm-fest and endless grinding to advance. Of course, that keeps us playing and paying but players are also leaving. I grow a few crits so I don't lose interest and so my tag doesn't become just a memory.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

uebersoldat

Post by uebersoldat »

Migam wrote:Word of mouth is an excellent way of bringing in new players as you know if that person would like this type of RPG prior to the invite and they are told what to expect (ie: graphics, gameplay) after the invite. Of course, you also get idiots who were invited by similar idiots who want to hang out with their friend and spew in dz. Those who have played a while and respect the game are all out of suggestions for good players to invite years ago.

Advertising can target many players but it has to be in the right market. You don't advertise Drakkar where most of the players who visit there play WoW or similar games. Drakkar is a shrinking genre as those playing this type of game are playing it as a standalone, non-net game or are as entrenched in their game as we are in ours.

I made a Myspace and Facebook for my pally, mentioned Drakkar, RPGs so that if someone does a search in Friends for rpgs, games, they might stumble on this and try it. I'd encourage each Guild to make a guild page on each service too as well as Brad if he hasn't done so. If others did this as well and joined the Omni Friends list, that might spread the word some more, especially among the random people who ask to join Facebook friends list to grow their Apps' clan, mafia, army, etc., some I've seen have 5000+ friends, that's quite a few. Maybe some will get tired of these free Apps and shell out $4.95 or more to Drak. Just a change in status referencing Drakkar now and then would appear on Newsfeed.

Keeping current veterans playing is harder unless you crank out the new content and it's not a farm-fest and endless grinding to advance. Of course, that keeps us playing and paying but players are also leaving. I grow a few crits so I don't lose interest and so my tag doesn't become just a memory.
Well said! and I agree with the new content, not just new levels to grind, new events and storylines! Would love to see some content thrown at Nork, there are still those of us who like to take our time and explore and quest and not just barrel toward 75 as fast as we can!

tekcap

Post by tekcap »

Some great suggestions here, hopefully the right people are listening ;)

Drakkar could definately get a huge boost of new players short and long term by using facebook. If Drakkar could somehow be brought to Facebook as an App I wouldnt be suprised to see a few hundred new players joining. This is obviously very unlikely to ever happen due to the amount of time and programming involved though. Does not meen there arn't other ways... How often do you visit gaming sites and you see a large banner of some random mmorpg being advertised on the side? I'm sure more than a few players including myself would be willing to dish out a few more $$ a month to see this happen. Before any of this should be concidered a few things need to be changed to attract the brand new player. A much more friendly introduction to Drakkar is definately the number on priority. I also noticed that the Drak Store link isnt working... if you visited a random site and links to their store where broken, wouldn't you run away? I know I would. There is more to be disscussed and I know the people in charge are not stupid and have probably thought of all this. Would be nice to know what is going on with the game at the moment and what the future holds..