200+

General User Chat
Terrel

Re: 200+

Post by Terrel »

Cobra wrote:NL needs to be totally overhauled; it needs to be more solo friendly across the board. Let 25+ people hunt in NL without leeching. Unless you're a ment, or someone in pally armor, you're forced to sit and watch others kill in NL. Mormar needs overhauled to be more solo friendly. For some classes, all there is to do once you finally get to NL/DL is leech while others kill, what's the fun of that?
Agree. One of the biggest problems with the entire NL scenario (and GDH, and BDC) is that is it so linear, and you don't have much in the way of options to hunt. If you want post 55 exp, you have to hunt in Mormar. You don't have a choice. If your friends aren't on, you can't grow your crit. If there were additional areas in NL that could be soloed effectively, to allow for smaller skill/exp gains, you'd always have options to grow your main, even if your pals weren't on. So instead of Mormar crits which take umpteen hits to kill and offer mega exp, you could also hunt a solo area with crits that take 1 or 2 or 3 shots to kill and offer much more modest skill per kill.

BDC was recently changed to allow for that, but imo, not tuned enough. Would love to see an area there similar to described above, for skilling. Instead of givng .04 per kill and mega loot, maybe the mobs there die in 3 or 4 hits, give .0025 per kill, and drop less expensive loot.

(Constant "pop pop pop" from kills is always more fun than a 3 minute fight with 1 crit) ;>

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

I agree needs to be more main stream able to do solo areas as well.

need to have it so solo people can go.

Tirith
Title: The Raging Darge

Post by Tirith »

Not to try and contradict anyone here... But things in mormar havent changed much.. however the players have..

Before quirks and high end lvl 75 players in high end gear, stuff from gdh, bdc.. We had no quirks, and Lors, Mant armor, Lich robes and BL rings and we hunted mormar in parties and while MA's did do alot more damage than the other classes, the other classes could hit...

Some people think since MA's do more damage that nobody else should kill and just let the MA kill and everyone else leech...
The big issue is class balance... MA's are all the damage.. so nobody else bothers just leech. I don't see the fun in that. But why would anyone else go against the majority and grow differently and MUCH MUCH MUCH slower.

All the quirks and new gear have made it too easy to do the old content.. Mormar was scaled to be difficult before ments had 60% damage boost from quirks and 15% damage boost from skill... MA's sweep would hurt other players who stood on hex... Barbs didnt 'riposte' ... Healers didnt have 'combat heal' .. healers went from having to spam pwh and age.. to just party and stand there and let quirk heal everybody..

Leveling to 75 in mormar has become a joke and thats why the game is flooded with level 75s now.. The game needs to be reworked and balanced out.

And yes more content.. too linear everybody does the same thing...
at lvl 50/30 you go to mormar for exp.. forge for skill (forge is too small, 1 party can outkill the entire area, leaving others who need to skill having to go look elsewhere, lets give them elsewhere, add stairs to center of forge) to a lesser extent bog for skilling if you dont want to circle forge for hours...

Now from 50/30 to 75/35 you have done mormar for exp, forge for skill, Where do you go? you got a few lairs and progress quests in gdh, gdh2, bdc, now from 35-38 you have 1 place to skill, bdc forest... of course you can go to castle or crypt but um.. why would you hunt an even harder area for same amount of skill? bdc forest can support 2 parties, which probably is enough, however it just doesnt give you options...

In nork if you want to skill you got all these levels of nork, -1 to -10.. they are not exact copies of each level like mormar 1-25.. they differ up vary in creatures, encounters, lairs, etc... dont like nork? go to maeling dungeons? dont like that go to KM.. and each dungeon has its own town, nork, maeling, frore.... its fluff.. it gives reality.. townies to interact with if you must..

Im gonna stop rambling.. maybe somebody can organize what im saying a little bit better.

nunnbt473

Post by nunnbt473 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but back when this was being created wasn't it said that one of the biggest things they wanted was more areas designed naturally for party hunting..etc?
----------
Just say no to fate cards.

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

Tirith wrote:Not to try and contradict anyone here... But things in mormar havent changed much.. however the players have..

Agreed, but with additions. If you're an established player, you can blow through mormar for your alts or with your guild mates. Back in the day, as you mentioned, it was slow going in Mormar. No quirks, sub par gear, etc etc. BUT...everyone was hunting Mormar. No difficulties finding parties, cause everyone needed to grow, and no one could handle it alone. Wasn't much (if any) in the way of multi boxing at that point either, so it was easy to get a group.

NOW it isn't so easy to get that group. Mormar isn't hunted nearly as much because the bulk of the player population has gone through it and is doing other things. It's not completely abandoned, but it isn't easy finding a party either. If you can find a group in Mormar, new players may have a hard time getting into that group, as some folks may be reluctant to take the exp cut if they already have 4 in party.

That's why I'd like to see more solo friendly alternative areas to Mormar, BDC, GDH. They don't have to be easier, per se, but they should be more soloable. I could solo Mormar when I was growing my main, but making IH runs every 3 minutes isn't fun, and most players (new or not) are not going to find soloing those areas fun. The constant "pop pop pop" appeals to most (I think), the chance to find rare loot, etc. If I'm a new player, give me that any day over 5 minute solo fights in Mormar, with loot dropping only rarely. [/quote]

Tirith wrote:Leveling to 75 in mormar has become a joke and thats why the game is flooded with level 75s now.. The game needs to be reworked and balanced out.
IF you are building an alt, and IF you are leeching, agreed. IF you are a new player trying to have fun, then NO, it isn't a joke. Point of this thread is to boost player #'s...gotta make the growing process fun. Leeching isn't fun.

To sum up..to draw and retain more players, you need to provide more options in NL/GDH/BDC that a single player can solo. It should be slower than grouping, but it should be more FUN than leeching or beating on a crit for 5 minutes and making an IH run every 3. :mrgreen:

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

Tirith wrote:Not to try and contradict anyone here... But things in mormar havent changed much.. however the players have..

Some people think since MA's do more damage that nobody else should kill and just let the MA kill and everyone else leech...
The big issue is class balance... MA's are all the damage.. so nobody else bothers just leech. I don't see the fun in that. But why would anyone else go against the majority and grow differently and MUCH MUCH MUCH slower.

All the quirks and new gear have made it too easy to do the old content.. Mormar was scaled to be difficult before ments had 60% damage boost from quirks and 15% damage boost from skill... MA's sweep would hurt other players who stood on hex... Barbs didnt 'riposte' ... Healers didnt have 'combat heal' .. healers went from having to spam pwh and age.. to just party and stand there and let quirk heal everybody..
Boy are you wrong The Ma,s Dont get the kills they die 20xs more then others do. We get hit harder and have less protection then any other until lvl 60 so get off it not true at all.

Most Barbs have reposit and auto balm. healers heal, ments hide, thiefs hide hit and throw or bow, Pallys and most Ma's have to heal themselfs lose chi hp after a few rounds i think you MA facts are just wrong. But there again i have to wait until i find out.

If i go to nl EVEN in M1 i get hit harder have to run for my life cstuned all the time. i can't solo anything there yet. from 30 to 55 MA's are useless then at 60 better gear comes along and can hold out a bit longer.

And as far as solo area needs to be there are to many clicks in Drakkar and if you don't think i am right just try my critt out some time.

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Martialarts wrote: Boy are you wrong The Ma,s Dont get the kills they die 20xs more then others do. We get hit harder and have less protection then any other until lvl 60 so get off it not true at all.

Most Barbs have reposit and auto balm. healers heal, ments hide, thiefs hide hit and throw or bow, Pallys and most Ma's have to heal themselfs lose chi hp after a few rounds i think you MA facts are just wrong. But there again i have to wait until i find out.

If i go to nl EVEN in M1 i get hit harder have to run for my life cstuned all the time. i can't solo anything there yet. from 30 to 55 MA's are useless then at 60 better gear comes along and can hold out a bit longer.

And as far as solo area needs to be there are to many clicks in Drakkar and if you don't think i am right just try my critt out some time.
Tir is refering to bigger MAs, like 75/38. You can sit on m25 hasted and just be healed with combat heals and destroy anything on hex faster than all other classes put together. MAs being useless from 30-55 is mirrored by most other classes, except pally armor wearing people and ments, hence some of the previous posts.

Cobra

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

Cobra wrote:
Martialarts wrote: Tir is refering to bigger MAs, like 75/38. You can sit on m25 hasted and just be healed with combat heals and destroy anything on hex faster than all other classes put together. MAs being useless from 30-55 is mirrored by most other classes, except pally armor wearing people and ments, hence some of the previous posts.

Cobra
But there lies the problem there are not many MA's over 60 in the game.. The problem there is ma cant haste itself nor can it auto heal. So what are you talking about ones who leech and for doing so they cast spells on the Ma and heal... Thats not leeching if they are part of the soultion.

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

Even More over it should be a hard area to solo but not so hard that you have zero chance of living there. Many people and I am included in the many like being solo I like exploring We also like company but 98% of the time we are alone and hunting.

We help others and we do so "without any reservation expect nothing in return" There has to be a way of making it so we can hunt and have fun the game should be fun. Is it sopposed to be a type of Role Playing game were you can have a choice of how you play or is it the type were you are forced to bend your will...

All aspects of the game no matter were you are in the process should be able to do as you like not be forced to do things you do not wish to do.
The MA
DEATH IS SWEET

Acaciam

Post by Acaciam »

it was mentioned earlier, but I think the biggest incentive to solo hunting is rare treasure.

add things in mormar such as the alerian randoms, and you'd have players solo hunting all day, which in turn might provide opportunity for party hunting.

it doesn't have to be in game items, or uber weapons, but things such as titles, a special icon in the dz player list, stat pots with base of 25/30, etc

Volcom

Post by Volcom »

These games now that have a certain ease to leveling by yourself and can do it pretty efficiently keep the player base they have because players get into creating multiple characters with all sorts of different responsibilities. The parts that take some time is getting the gear that makes these characters you leveled worth while.

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

Guilds only go so far. As many can tell you a good 75% of the guilds are not on all the time so it is a hit or miss.

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

Getting back to the topic, 200+...

The PR for Drak is a huge opportunity. I've seen the game advertised before, but never has it capitalized on its rich history. Any time Drak is advertised, it should be the highlighted that it was the first ever graphical morpg. (I think that's true.) Call it "old school"...that seems to appeal to some who are impressed with such things <G>.

And what about Wikipedia? If there is an effort, however slight, to gain subscribers, you can't let the Wikipedia entry for the game get deleted for lack of relevance. On the "marked for deletion page" are such insults as:

Kingdom of Drakkar
Internet RPG whose main page hasn't been updated since 2001, has an alexa ranking of 6,045,517, no assertion of notability beyond being an online RPG, 67000 google results but a lot of those seem to be lists of RPGs Lid 05:36, 3 September 2006 (UTC)

Delete advertisement for a really non-notable game. Akradecki 05:43, 3 September 2006 (UTC)
Delete per WP:NN. Michael 07:06, 3 September 2006 (UTC)
Note: This debate has been added to the list of CVG deletions. Daveydweeb (chat/patch) 10:06, 4 September 2006 (UTC)
Delete as extremely non-notable. Daveydweeb (chat/patch) 10:19, 4 September 2006 (UTC)
Speedy delete, don't think there's any question over this one. Terraxos 17:32, 4 September 2006 (UTC)
Speedy delete, not even an assertion of notability. --Huon 21:00, 4 September 2006 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... of_Drakkar

The wikipedia entry should be revived, and include the information that Brad posted at one point asserting the game's primacy as the original graphical morpg.

Anyway, these two points I offer, free of charge ;>

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

Ok here I am 78/36 close to skill 37. In your wildest dreams its imposable to do anything alone. You need at least a ment a healer thief barb to really do anything.

SDC is very friendly to Thieves . A ment and healer and any stick is a good combo.

BDC just imposable really can solo 1 critts at a time. gdh2 barb fields thrum merc capts all need a large party and has to be done correctly.

I am so frustrated that I personally think the grind from new to 50/30 was much better then anything after that the whole NL area is not my cup of tea. I am still learning but if you don’t know someone who has some knowledge its useless to try. (Mars i agree with that part of your comment)

The Game as a whole is just not fun or even friendly in any way to a new player. Once you get the hang of the game and achieve Cob your pretty much stuck with out help.

It is not worth having a single account when you need to have many account to do anything of value. Not worth it but hey that’s just my opinion at some point its GAME OVER
The MA
DEATH IS SWEET

aragorn

Post by aragorn »

Terrell is absolutely right. There should be more advertising to bring in new players. Ive been playing since 2002 and I have never seen an advertisment for drakkar. Drakkar will always be a small community, and I think we like it that way, but there is room for many more players. But they cannot get addicted like many of us if they do not hear of the game. Many players of a certain age would check out an "old school" game. There should be some lower cost method to advertise that would not break the drakkar budget (i.e. internet). Sure many will come and leave pretty soon, but the a percentage would stay, and we only need that percentage. Word of mouth will not do enough.

Just my humble opinion.

uebersoldat

Post by uebersoldat »

I have created a Facebook group back in 2008 I think, It's still there and it has 48 people in it. I can advertise it there on Facebook although I'm not sure what the stipulations are. I am currently the admin there but would GLADLY hand over the mantle to Omni or Brad or whoever will promote it. I think Facebook hits a HUGE demographic but I don't know if I have the right to push this game in such a way not being in the management.

Sysops? Thoughts?

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Just do it, any publicity is good at this point to stop the game coming to a painful death.

Lack of input from above just shows that they don't care :)

ps. I think I'm in that group!
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

There is a HUGE number of things you can do. I have always said there are 3 things that make people want to play.

can you guess what is the one most single important thing there is? no pun intended but it really very simple it has been true since there was a service to give.

Every person wants to feel special and want to know someone is paying attention to them. It has always been about customer service a CUSTOMER wants to feel they are being serviced not just a number.

Hire or give some drakkariens some free time in gdh or just a gold account even maybe just let them volunteer I have been to games were people are greeted and welcomed back this creates the illusion that you care for them and want there participation. Making someone feel welcomed it is the 1st rule in success.

don’t put up with abusive players they drag the game down warning 2 times ban the 3rd time. Its extremely easy to be nice and warm Just say Hello (insert name) how are you doing. OR A SIMPLE HELLO will do in a pinch.

This is just an observation you can put in all the neat trick and gimmicks you want but customers service meet and greets are coolest things never go out of style. :idea:
The MA
DEATH IS SWEET

tekcap

Post by tekcap »

I just came back to Drakkar last week after almost 10 years of being gone. The only reason I came back is because I had remembered the game out of nowhere and decided to come play.

The game pretty much has 0 advertising at the moment, not a big deal for now. If done correctly this game could really get a boom of players when the java version of drakkar is released. You see those Java based browser games being advertised all the time EVERYWHERE and they are all the same boring type of game. Drakkar should take advantage when java version is released and have a plan to advertise at the same time.

Advertisements should lead to information that will get a player interested. Talk about lair crits and raids and things that will take the attention away from the graphics and into the gameplay. There should be a new newbie zone that really teaches the players the game or atleast have a greeter available 24 hours.

Thats just my 2 cents

Volcom

Post by Volcom »

tekcap wrote: atleast have a greeter available 24 hours.
Like at Walmart?

tekcap

Post by tekcap »

Yes, but less annoying than the walmart ones.

Admit that when you come into this game, gold tiles or not its very confusing. This is especially true for new players coming from big mmorpgs where everything is explained interactively.

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

Well to tell you the truth i never read the school house.. I never really wanted to waste my time but that back when i had a brain! i was young then.. never really knew about the tiles till like 3rd week... Maybe some help explianing the works.. All i know is greeters in games work.
The MA
DEATH IS SWEET

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Posted by Martialarts

Well to tell you the truth i never read the school house.. I never really wanted to waste my time but that back when i had a brain! i was young then.. never really knew about the tiles till like 3rd week... Maybe some help explianing the works.. All i know is greeters in games work.
proof is in the pudding.
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

i found it not really useful for the most part.. Would have rather read about then do hex by hex read and disorgianzed it is.
The MA
DEATH IS SWEET

Tnem
Title: Lord

Post by Tnem »

TBH I didn't do the tiles either, but that's because I was introduced to the game by a friend in RL and he taught me how to play it. The gold tiles are shit, there is no doubt about that.