Incentives for helping newbies

If you have an idea post it here
ZhouYu
Title: Paladin of AWESOME

Incentives for helping newbies

Post by ZhouYu »

So... I was thinking, as I sat in DZ and talked about getting armor at low levels, that people seem less willing to help out newbies with newbie gear, despite the fact that this has become even EASIER from when I played.

I was thinking that maybe there could be incentives to helping out newbies with newbie gear. Standard newbie gear consisting of a LG Yeti (or a Griffon if the new player's a MA), a Rak (or two), a Kitty, RD gaunts, either a green shield or a baskie, and a starter weapon (Griffy LS, Ogrelord Bisento, Bullywog, +4 Hally, etc), and PERHAPS an enmiss robe (but that generally requires dexing, unless someone is ACTUALLY willing to go and get a SER for a newbie. I've forgotten if the Tengu corpse ties).

I'm not sure (as it's been a while since I played), how much of this can still be newbie gear, but I think all of it can still be gotten for a newbie, with the possible exception of Griffon/Bruce armor.

This is just what I've seen from my prior playing experience.

I remember a time when a new player would walk into SF and immediately several people would leave to hunt down the crits required for these items.

Terrel

Re: Incentives for helping newbies

Post by Terrel »

Define newbie! I remember some of my fondest times in Drakkar when I had nothing, and had to earn it. Trying to kill a rak to get my rak cloak? Priceless. Having someone hand me gear would be missing a lot of fun.

There's a time and a place....when a crit gets to be a certain size and has worked hard to get what they wear, where assistance on a hunt is needed. That's what I think of when I think of helping newbies. That, or some advice...not handouts :)

Mars
Admin
Admin

Post by Mars »

[quote="Terrel"]Define newbie! I remember some of my fondest times in Drakkar when I had nothing, and had to earn it. Trying to kill a rak to get my rak cloak? Priceless. Having someone hand me gear would be missing a lot of fun.

quote]

so, yesterday huh Terrell? <G>

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

Mars wrote:
so, yesterday huh Terrell? <G>
Day before, Marss. <G>

ZhouYu
Title: Paladin of AWESOME

Post by ZhouYu »

Yes, I've done that, too. But for a new player, that can be more of an annoyance. It's also a lot easier to die when you're new, hence the armor and shield given to new players, and the weapon as well.

Newbie being, of course, a new player on their first character (or perhaps second). Say, someone within 72 hours of play?

Migam

Post by Migam »

ZhouYu wrote:Yes, I've done that, too. But for a new player, that can be more of an annoyance. It's also a lot easier to die when you're new, hence the armor and shield given to new players, and the weapon as well.

Newbie being, of course, a new player on their first character (or perhaps second). Say, someone within 72 hours of play?
Annoyance or not, some of us dealt with dying as exp1 player, grabbing gems near steps and climbing up fast to sell em for buying shop gear then gradually moving deeper and regearing. You could bank enough to keep con at 15 with SF cons. Now, a new player goes to fansites and requests majors, ep pots, top gear (that they can't wear) and beg to be hp/ep maxxed at exp1 then ask to be powerleveled. I even saw someone offering to pay for a helm (which they could have hunted for in n-1).

New players get enough and too much, why an incentive for others to help them when this is already done freely and to excess?
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder