discussion for Today's Changes (2008/06/24)

General User Chat
Omni
Admin
Admin

discussion for Today's Changes (2008/06/24)

Post by Omni »

Let's keep the game change discussion for this batch of changes here.

Constructive feedback please - no rants.

Thanks!
Account and Billing issues: help@drakkarzone.com
E-mail: Omni.sysop@gmail.com
Twitter: @OmniSysop
http://www.facebook.com/omni.sysop
Send me Ideas, Suggestions, Bugs or Complaints!
Event Mailing list, send me an email with TELL ME OMNI in the subject!

Teh_Cheat

Re: discussion for Today's Changes (2008/06/24)

Post by Teh_Cheat »

I like Roo and his room too! =)

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

Books on "virtue"? Pallies got left out again! <G>

Somehow I expected a "You see a picture book, apparently intended for barbarians" message, though.

Roo rocks.

Among the lair fixes, I'm surprised Slith (in front and behind), King Mino, Breshard, and some form of 'anti-hand-out' code for Snowbeast weren't included.
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Volcom

Post by Volcom »

what was the logic behind not mt'ing to lairs that people have been mt'ing to for years, including u omni <G>

Omni
Admin
Admin

Post by Omni »

TP & MT were never intended to circumvent quests and puzzles. I am correcting it in ways as painless as possible for experienced players, however belatedly.

Volcom

Post by Volcom »

i can respect that, the fact that crystals do not poof (at least from what i've seen so far they dont, possible after multiple uses) is nice. I dunno is it a bad idea how alot of other quest in game are set up, as far as you have to do it correctly once, then u can take a shortcut from there on out?

Omni
Admin
Admin

Post by Omni »

I don't mind shortcuts in 'most' cases, provided the character has completed the quest properly at least once.

I have different ideas for different lairs I am going to implement, a little at a time.

Keep in mind this is for the long term benefit of the game and juicy new features and things to do will be coming with these 'corrections'.

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

It eventually just become another part of the game that people will remember. =)

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

I like the idea of making people go through the quest to get to the lairs, although chipper's is a joke, but maybe there is someone out there that doesn't know about it. I really wouldn't wish water plains on anyone though to find the water crystal, too many horrible memories from doing that.

Roo is good too, though I've never been close to selling weapon, one less thing to worry about.

Cobra

Cheese
Title: Meh.

Post by Cheese »

Awww, someone stole the thief book in the library. :(

Looks good overall, not overly impressed/unimpressed either way on the minor changes to lairs. Just makes it a bit of an annoyance when doing them for an alt. But for new players, it could actually be a complete deal breaker to even do the quest. (speaking of uther in particular) With very few people able to successfully hunt up the crystals(and this is mostly in reference to water plain due to drowning damage, constant blind, and the rarity of the drop) just means that they eventually skip over these phases of game until they're level 50 or higher, need to use one or two resources that require a saber to gain access to, and go kill it then.

All in all, imo, wasted resources (exception being Roo). Would rather see bug fixes, new accessible content, and revitalization of unused areas.

Volcom

Post by Volcom »

one thing i have found silly about the root npc is as this.... You can "insure" an item endless amount of times, and there is nothing different about it when u "insure" the item so after a while will forget if u safeholded a particular item or not. How hard would it be to put something in so the npc recognizes that an item has already been dumby proofed?

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

If you forget and you aren't sure, couldn't you just spend 500k more to redo it?

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Cheese wrote:But for new players, it could actually be a complete deal breaker to even do the quest. (speaking of uther in particular) With very few people able to successfully hunt up the crystals(and this is mostly in reference to water plain due to drowning damage, constant blind, and the rarity of the drop) just means that they eventually skip over these phases of game until they're level 50 or higher.
It's possible to hunt them up at 18/15 and 19/16, part of the challenge and reward for getting up an uther hunt, have to work for it. As to people skipping it, CH offers good things, and need it to get into CC in cob. I guess people could skip all that by being stubborn and not hunting for crystals until way later, but I personally would want to take advantage of the benefits from CH and CC.

Cobra

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

And how hard would it be to find a larger player to help you find the crystals?

And at least this way it actually gets the player IN the lair instead of just dropping the items at portals or a convenient location.

Darge

Post by Darge »

Even without CH, you don't need the crystals to get to Uther.

I just wonder whether now it's simply easier to kill Kaxx and use the FH random portal until you land in Uther, than hunting for the crystals at all.

But then, maybe making FH random portal usable only by CH members isn't such a bad thing, given how that portal is probably only rarely accessed via FH.
SIN

Migam

Post by Migam »

Small players will still get larger players to bring the corpse out to search in town as you can walk out of those lairs (unless the corpse is auto-looting upon death.. is it?) .

I tested Roo, would have been nice to set weapon to be unbreakable as well. I haven't tested if it can be transmuted either.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Omni
Admin
Admin

Post by Omni »

I doubt smaller players will risk using the FH portal. Some of those lairs can be pretty mean.

As for finding the crystals, someone did at some point and it was in a much more difficult environment than today. Since the crystals don't tie, perhaps some enterprising smaller players will find players with fat bank accounts willing to shell out coin for crystals.

Opportunities abound and there is plenty of idle coin in the game right now.

Migam,

Try getting the corpse to portals - let me know how that works for you <G>.

Darge

Post by Darge »

I'm not personally saying the crystals are too hard to find, or I don't like the change, because I don't think they are, and I feel fine about the change.

I just think the FH portal will become an appealing alternative moving forward, and it could be considered a method of bypassing gathering crystals the first time through.

Who knows; I wouldn't mind being wrong here.
*audible gasp*
SIN

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Darge wrote:I just think the FH portal will become an appealing alternative moving forward, and it could be considered a method of bypassing gathering crystals the first time through.
I suspect there will be some players out there that will go this route instead of hunting crystals, but the majority of players will probably just hunt crystals. It's not like you have to hunt up a ton of them, one set will get a group in. Reason I don't forsee any abuse of FH portals, it would be a huge pain to get a group together to run through FH x numbers of times to get everyone to uther. If it's just a player going through to solo uther, they probably have an easier way than FH to get to it anyway.

People that need and can solo will use the portals, groups will probably just resolve to finding a crystal to get to uther, the way it should be.

Cobra

Cheese

Post by Cheese »

always thought each person had to have crystals(last time i did an uther hunt, no one was grouped, as was a huge cause of lag back then, and we all had to have crystals)

Darge

Post by Darge »

Cheese wrote:always thought each person had to have crystals(last time i did an uther hunt, no one was grouped, as was a huge cause of lag back then, and we all had to have crystals)
Well, now that the crystals are multi-use, you would likely only need one set. Since the game remembers what hexes you've gotten to in the element path until you enter Uther's lair, each player could just work off one set of crystals, unless they shatter with a small number of uses.

But then, I can't remember the last time I saw someone even try to put together an Uther party.
SIN

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Cheese wrote:always thought each person had to have crystals(last time i did an uther hunt, no one was grouped, as was a huge cause of lag back then, and we all had to have crystals)
One set everytime we did it. One person (healer) would get past the crystal area before you tp to uther's lair, while everyone else would wait. Once healer was in position, you'd kill off everyone and throw at healer. Can do uther with one set of crystals, unless that's been changed. This is around 10 year old data I'm giving here, but it's the way it was done back then.

Cobra

Cheese

Post by Cheese »

can't throw corpses now a days if i'm not mistaken.