Improved Hally

If you have an idea post it here
dragonmage
Title: Arg!

Improved Hally

Post by dragonmage »

In Nork/NL there are only 3 or 4 hallys, HG,FG,Str,and Alerian Def. Most of which are not that good at all for attack. Most other major weapons have upgrades along the way. So why not have an Improved hally or just somthing better.

Thanks.
Koa/Padre/Driver/Beast

Sand

Replying to Topic 'Improved Hally'

Post by Sand »

What about Killer halberd?

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Replying to Topic 'I

Post by Darge »

The expected progression puts you in cob shortly after the time you should technically be getting fg halberd. There, in cobrahn, there is a pretty good selection of halberds for many occasions. Once in the upper range of cobrahn, at a size that people should actually go to nl *read 30+* there is a lvl 30 req halberd in what is Green Dragon Hatcheries. From this point, one final halberd can be obtained at lvl 55 in the form of killer halberd. Compare this to most any other weapon and you will actually see that halberd has one of the best selections in the game.
Most of which are not that good at all for attack.
Based on this one statement, I'm tempted to say you don't even use a halberd.
Last edited by Darge on Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Tooey

Post by Tooey »

Is the lvl 30 halberd in GDH attainable by <50 players (even a party of), from when i went there is stuggled to survive with almost 2k hp against the opening area crits ?

Having option of gear is great but i dont want to rely on a group of 75 to get then me just walk in and pick up.

Tooey

Darge

Post by Darge »

That's a completely different issue. The fact remains that there IS a lvl 30 halberd in nl now, whereas before your weapon progression was limited solely in cob until level 55. So be happy and suggest to brad that the lvl 30 req weapons be moved to the entry area of GDH (which is in VERY early testing as brad said and most likely will be made even easier as it has been made thus far)
SIN

Pepma

Post by Pepma »

Originally posted by Tooey

Is the lvl 30 halberd in GDH attainable by <50 players (even a party of), from when i went there is stuggled to survive with almost 2k hp against the opening area crits ?

Having option of gear is great but i dont want to rely on a group of 75 to get then me just walk in and pick up.

Tooey

It's no different then the primal crits helping level 20's get merk gear (and yes i've done this before)

dragonmage

Post by dragonmage »

Based on this one statement, I'm tempted to say you don't even use a halberd.
I happen to use a +9 FG hally, yes the attack is good, but compared to other weapons it is not all that great.
There, in cobrahn, there is a pretty good selection of halberds for many occasions.
Yes i know this, I use a SoG in Cobrahn and have a GK2 in my locker for when i hit 30, but i am talking about outside of cob, IE Nork and NL.
there is a lvl 30 req halberd in what is Green Dragon Hatcheries.
Not everyone can afford to have both a gold account AND UGH.
Koa/Padre/Driver/Beast

Darge

Replying to Topic 'I

Post by Darge »

I happen to use a +9 FG hally, yes the attack is good, but compared to other weapons it is not all that great.
Once more, you either don't use halberd, or have never used another weapon type. Want to see sucky pre-primal damage? Pick gs. Last I swung a halberd it had one hex reach, which on it's own is an absolutely fantastic ability of the weapon type. You'll get no sympathy from me.
Yes i know this, I use a SoG in Cobrahn and have a GK2 in my locker for when i hit 30, but i am talking about outside of cob, IE Nork and NL.
So you want new items aimed towards levels that pre-nl were regulated to cob. This just sounds like more of the whole 'skip cobrahn' syndrome.
Not everyone can afford to have both a gold account AND UGH.
Quite right, but I'm sure you can afford to wait awhile for it to launch standard, assuming it ever does.
Last edited by Darge on Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIN

TangoDown

Replying to Topic 'I

Post by TangoDown »

Saying FG hally keeps up with other weapon classes is not true. 55/30 here with a +9 fg, I get eaisly outdamaged by a guildie of mine who uses Improved Saber to an extent that one of his hits will be near double damage of mine. Now yes that is true Brad added a new hally to GDH that is 30 req. But you see, to get there you need to slay a hatchling which is far from the abilities of a level 30 and then get access to mercs.

Will this be the same case of Merk? Yes it will be. But the point is it shouldn't be "Hey if you want a new weapon you need to get people that are bigger than you to help." Some one that is the level of the req should have at least a chance to get the weapon on their own. The way Improved Saber works, a person at 25 can do it themselfs with some dedication.

*edit* fixed some spelling errors and the such.
Last edited by TangoDown on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragonmage

Post by dragonmage »

Quite right, but I'm sure you can afford to wait awhile for it to launch standard, assuming it ever does.
I have one thing to say, NL. It is still technically in beta, if NL is still in beta what should lead me to believe GDH will be out of beta within the next couple years?
Last edited by dragonmage on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koa/Padre/Driver/Beast

Cheese
Title: Meh.

Post by Cheese »

i have to agree, gdh gear gap filler stuff isn't the answer by any means. Putting "gap fillers" in an early primal area when at 55(when most go primal) they already have most of the weps replaced(i say most in that there aren't all wep choices in the titan assortment)

now if the zone was designed for say, level 40 - 60, it'd be a great place(and i'm tired of hearing but cob is the lvl 18-50 filler region, get over it, cob is lvl 18 to "get in" and nl is level 25 to make noncut gains which means...nl is the lvl 25+ area now) also as darge did say, the weapon assortment available later on for replacement items in gdh should be moved to enterance area, escapees imo serve no real purpose other than being in the wrong zone) make militia spawn with variety of weps instead of the lvl 30 ls and lvl 30 staff. People aren't asking for OMGZER type weapons at lower levels, they're just asking for some kind of upgrade on par with existing upgrades already out there for other weapon class types.

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

LS damage varies a great deal. It can be high and it can be very low. Halberd damage to me always looked consistent, and it has the 1 hex away ability. Are you both the same skill, with the same type of gear?

Escapees are in the right zone, it goes along with the story of GDH. They are trying to escape from being eaten by the brood mother. Maybe some militias should carry hallys instead of all sabers.
SIN

Mandorallen

Post by Mandorallen »

I know who Tango is referring too and yeah, they're both 55/30. So they're both the same skill and level with probably pretty close to the same quirks maxxed.

Athena
Title: Goddess aka ROADKILL

Post by Athena »

Since GDH is still in very early testing phase I'd hardly jump to any conclusions about what levels are or aren’t going to be able to hunt there, nor what type of gear is available. Brad may very well change the whole feel for the area. No one knows for sure yet and nothing is set in stone.
I am the Goddess of wisdom, the breath of life...
Protectress of Heroes brave and valorous.

Cheese
Title: Meh.

Post by Cheese »

I know ath, was just pointing out that as it's so far been presented to us, the gear gaps it fills really aren't all that important at the stage you "fill" the gap. ;)

teh_ was simply saying the drops on escapees should be moved
since when do escaped prisoners have weapons? plus, if they're truly escapees, they very well could be in the enterance area(since they've escaped the mother and are attempting to get home)
Last edited by Cheese on Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darge

Post by Darge »

Saying FG hally keeps up with other weapon classes is not true
Sorry, I didn't realize drakkar was about making every weapon exactly the same at every progression point. There is always a 'best' weapon. FG halberd is by no means a bad weapon, merely because one nl item outdamages it. You cannot compare NL items to nork. On almost every basis the NL items trump their norken counterparts. Be happy that at level 55, weapon balance between gs, halberd, and ls is decent.

This topic reeks of 'I want it as good as they have it.'
SIN

TangoDown

Post by TangoDown »

This is true, but the point is there is a 40 level gap between FG and 55. Do i expect a insane hally that outdamages Improved Saber? No, but NL has one of the worst weapon gaps I've seen in games. This only applys to Halberd? No several weapon classes are left out, but there should at least be an item get to rather than having to wait till Titan at 55, some times even later.

No it doesn't, and saying it does by no means makes it so. What this topic is saying is "We need new weapons in NL, And if they are added make the accessable by people within its level requirement". Having a Hally in deep GDH is no solution, One way to fix this is by having Militia drop an assortment of weapons instead of the look alike sabers that brad likes using oh so much.

Pepma

Post by Pepma »

Using an FG hally for a few levels (50.5 to 55) really isn't all that bad is it? That is of course if you don't mind hunting in Cobrahn (from 18-50.5), while it doesn't yield the easy exp / skill of NL (burning durning for exp; forgottens for skill). It is still very worthwhile exp/skill if you actually work at it (which would help make you a better player anyways).

As for gear within its a level requirement, he'd have to rescale nearly all of the beginner NL items then. I'd hate to see what type of party it would take for level 20's to kill merk, same with 25's to kill tort (providing they do it within the level requirement). Minimum requirements are often put on to prevent twinking to an extent (a level 70 giving a level 1 full NL gear for example). NOT to set a precedent on when someone should get an item...
Last edited by Pepma on Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drewstr

Post by Drewstr »

Alot of this stems back to pre-NL. All weapons have their advantages compared to other weapons. LS has a chance of hitting harder than hally, and its pgear. However, like John said, Hally is more consistant with damage and it can hit off hex. For a maxstriking paladin, this is a huge advantage. Always has been, always will be. In Brad's eyes, weapons were balanced pre-NL. Sure, it would be nice having a better "filler" hally for the 18-55 range, but then again, I'd like to have a filler GS too. Just work through it, everyone else has. Brad is making attempts to place some "filler" gear in GDH but its still in very very early developmental stages - I wouldn't even call it a beta yet.
Auramancer
That WOLF is up to something SINister.

ZhouYu
Title: Paladin of AWESOME

Post by ZhouYu »

I know this is an old topic, but I want to add in my 2 cents. I feel that Hallies are common enough choices that there should be a phally. Maybe make it hit for less than FG, or something. Make FG the choice for standard hunting, but don't leave the hally users (which are quite a lot) without a pweapon, or force us to skill up our LS to 16 just to be able to participate in some hunts.

Yeah, yeah, it'd be nice to have a harder hitting hally, but hallies have major bonuses that just aren't there with longswords, greatswords, and other weapons. The one thing about hallies that made me choose longswords on my barb is that there is no phally.
The music I want to hear is once again, whispered in my ear.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

so over the past what? 18 years? people using sabre to kill certain lairs, and you want to change it now??

i think you need to revise your theory :)

*Merlz* Halberd Barb
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Darge

Post by Darge »

In terms of a p-weap halberd, a passing thought suitable to the "ideas' forum would be, that, with the recent surplus of servers, one might be dedicated to an "alt 3" nork, in which content is beefed up for mid-high levels. Therein it might also be feasible to see alt 3 specific quests, possibly including adding p-weap to weapons without. Alas...pipedreams. Oh yeah, and why change now! :)
SIN

Necron99

Post by Necron99 »

GDH lvl 30 hally is a pweap...organize a party and go git yerself one!

Darge

Post by Darge »

Originally posted by Necron99

GDH lvl 30 hally is a pweap...organize a party and go git yerself one!
To get to which, you must take down a lvl 55+ lair! Enjoy.
SIN

Necron99

Post by Necron99 »

And how many lvl 18's do you think it takes to get a SOG hally? Answer...it can't be done. NL has always been a group hunt scenario. Or am I missing the point?