Game Changes

General User Chat
Brad
Admin
Admin

Replying to Topic 'Game Changes'

Post by Brad »

- The quirk system is going "live" to guildhall level customers today! This is the largest single addition to the game since we introduced multiple scenarios back in 93, so please be patient as we work out the enormous bugs and problems that will surely arise. I will be creating a "known issues" section of the forums for quirks, so I can keep a running list, and you can be kept up to date.

- To use the quirks system, grab http://www1.drakkarzone.com/beta/dv20.exe ( the 24bit install )

- Many little bugs squashed, im sure more added.

Mars
Admin
Admin

Post by Mars »

9/19/05

http://www1.drakkarzone.com/beta/dv20.exe

This is the latest and greatest. I'll leave it to Brad to post his changes for today
Last edited by Mars on Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

- Fixed a problem which prevent quirks from being gained in parties ( and some other quirky things with gain )
- Fixed a problem which prevented level 2 abilities from being purchased ( abilities reliant on other abilities)
- The paladin PARRY ability is now checked BEFORE armor and weapon blocks
- The improved armor abilities have had a zero correctly removed from their calculation.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Late reset:

- Quirk gain in parties should now be irrespective of whether you are getting the "kill shots".
- CHARISMA is now purchaseable
- A problem with the character server was fixed that prevented some people from creating characters and entering the game with them.
- A problem which caused quirk based bonus damage to be applied after the "kill" calculation has been corrected. This also should mean that, if the added damage of the quirk would CAUSE a kill, you should now get skill gain and exp gain. This needs to be tested please!
- Player attacks which caused "mono damage amounts" (IE always hit for the same thing), should now give skill and experience.

Long night, enjoy!

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

10/17/2005

- A kindler, gentler, party friendly barbarian world!
Starting at level 51, barbarians will have a 5% chance of haste taking effect on them
during a round. This percentage goes up by 5% per level. Its rumored that there
may be other effects at higher levels ...
- You may now click away beneficial primal abilities that have been thrown on you!
Grab www1.drakkarzone.com/beta/drakkar.exe and copy it over your current
executable!

- The infamous quirk bug which randomized some peoples quirks has been found
and hopefully squashed, thanks for the great feedback!

- A new method of handling player entry/exit from scenarios should prevent a lot of
item loss, scenario disconnects etc. The downside is its very experimental and
could have side effects (item dupes, locked up characters, etc..) Please give us
feedback when oddities happen, and please dont fill up our dupe logs!

- QUIRKS are now available to gold plan members (at a slower rate than guild hall).
Enjoy, and with this massive inflow of quirkers, please email me any bugs!

- A few quirk fixes, certain stunning ability quirks now do combat stuns instead of
mutation stuns.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

11/8/2005-

- Quirk reset!
- Your spent quirks (that you actually earned, not bugged oens) have been reset
back to your FREE quirks pool. You can respend them on whatever you want!
- The system only displays 255 free quirks, if your over that you will get a msg at
game entry that will tell you your true total.
- You wont be able to earn any more until youve spent the ones you have
- Some early adopters (pre september 9th) may be missing some quirks, dont
panic, just email me username/slot/amount your missing and we will work it out
(Pre sept 9th only)

- I have a system in place that will hopefully elimiinate barb retargeting on ripostes, please let me know
- I've added anti timeout code to long discipline attacks (multi hits, etc), that should prevent you from being "disconnected" during the process
- Added some protocal additions for the PPC version of drakkar.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Recent NL changes made live this reset.

- Modified CLEAVE to do more damage, and have a party-friendly defensive debuff on the creature cleaved (similar to what the MA suffers when using some of his abilities). The debuff is at its highest the first round, gets halved the second, etc , in the same manner.

- There is a problem with the character roller, where sometimes the character doesnt get saved, we are working on that.

Brad

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

New host version:

- Twigs stored in the special twig holders in the GH now survive rerolls
- Players doing the mormar scroll quests should now be able to receive scrolls in
parties, if any nearby party member is elligible for a drop
- Humix should now reset after waiting around a long time for you to close him off
- Offensive healer primals/advanceds no longer have a 30th level minimum on their
target (NL only right now)
- Mormar improvers should now stop taking items from you when your business is
completed
- Multi target primal abilities should no longer give per kill skill

There were a lot of code changes this reset, please post any problems.

Brad

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

02/20/2006
---------------

Dragon Revenge, Dragon Recourse, and Dragon Laughter now function correctly. Thanks for the great debugging. They also will not retarget you. This is up on all
servers this patch.

The completed character art is up for download. It contains all the new character art (those of you who downloaded dvtest do not need to download this). I'm very pleased, please enjoy.

Brad

Mars
Admin
Admin

Post by Mars »

HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!

Made ya look

No changes today (6/12/06)

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

07/17/2006

Get www1.drakkarzone.com/beta/drakkar.exe (if you are a quirk user who has a quirk over 128 in value)

(This is COPIED over your existing drakkar.exe)

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Version update

-----------------
- Most GDH area one creatures have had their specializations removed
- Lair creatures which have lairs that include walls should no longer throw treasure
inside the walls. This was a "feature" from olden days but i think the magic is gone.
- Creatures who are "restricted" to certain areas will now heal faster outside of those areas, and once fully healed, they will either teleport back to the location or despawn.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

- "Questers" are no longer CRITCURE'able
- The garden area of the cob castle has been hit with some serious herbicide
- Barbarians are no longer 100% immune to psionics after purchasing certain quirks. (awwww)
- GDH creatures such as needlers, hatchlings, flytraps, etc, no longer "auto hit"
- Grab www1.drakkarzone.com/beta/dv20.exe to get new terrain artwork (thanks flisk)

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

- Worked on the logic behind lair creatures "giving up" during combat. Caught a few more cases where they could give up without notifying you. If a creature poofs, please carefully note the message you receive. (Note invisible and thiefly characters will still have difficulties in this area)
- In some cases of the above, instead of instant healing the creatures will just enter a rapid heal phase

- I've created a method of incorporating individual item information into the text description of an item. One use of this is that the authority rings from mormar will now display their levels.

- Terror bloods are now a rare drop on mormar creatures

- *NEW* GDH healing bottles should now work (though didnt get a chance to test it on the live system).

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

- Host update today:
- Basic bug fixes
- Both EAT and normal skill drain now have very low caps on the amount they can drain from BREWING

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

02/14/2007

Wellll guess what, apparently recent versions of fedora linux don't support the method of shared memory drakkar is using. Since i have 5 new machines loaded with it, and the future seems to be use of these versions, i'm converting the game to use it.

To keep it fun, considering how many crash bugs may exist, i'm going to kill two birds with one stone and put up a "special" "insane" version of cobrahn to give the new game a run for its money, and help me really beat on the code

Features:

- I'm going to make game rounds 1 to 2 seconds instead of 4 to 6.. this should really beat on the game.
- I'm going to increase regen on generators
- I'm going to start people with fresh 18th level nude dock baby characters in tree town, and make some contests surounding advancing your character, so I can test all aspects of the game. Flisk has agreed to do some web pages for fun things such as "most player deaths/ least player deaths / exp per death / etc" one for each class (should be fun).

This should help me test what we want to do with the anniversary nork scenario also.

It will also get cob some due debugging time.

Anyone is welcome to help with this, the faster we find the bugs the faster we get back onto the fun stuff (although this should be pretty fun)

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

03/05/2007

- Found a few more reasons for braindead creatures and removed them
- Fix a bug which was causing round based commands to not get processed

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

- Updated the default download artwork to include version 1.0.0.0.0alpha of Darge's "user artwork"
- Added the 24x24s to the user definable artwork set
- "Think" i've fixed the boatride back to nork from aleria..
- Turned on heartbreak mode in nork2 for a couple days to let people have some fun with their real characters!

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

05/07/2007
-------------

- The "a small quantity of Aconite" icon is now correct
- The "a small quantity of Alecost" icon is now correct
- The healer dscipline "AID" is now available in Anniversary Cob
- The Ment discs: "PassWall" "MassTeleport", "Deplete", "ShockWave" are now available in Anniv Cob
- The health trainer in Anniv Cob has had his training formula modified to allow for more base health to be purchased
- Green dragon tongues are now retrievable from the cold dead bodies of the most powerful of the mature dragons
- The great cave bear should now correctly control his ability to resist being pushed down
Last edited by Brad on Mon May 07, 2007 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omni
Admin
Admin

Re: Game Changes

Post by Omni »

5/7/2008

1. The repair NPC fix is up temporarily for player feedback in Alt-2 only. Repair cost is now based on the item's abilities and its level of damage. The condition it may be repaired to is based on your current subscription level. The cost is affected by your charisma. Very high charisma's will have an impact!

2. A change has been made to the logic of creatures who flee their areas and 'superheal and despawn'. The creatures who are runners but not lair creatures will now look for a tile that is within their area to go to instead of running out of their area. This is a tricky change, please test and provide feedback.

3. The Barbarian quirk Riposte has been corrected. The ripostes will no longer reflect toward the current target but will instead reflect back toward the originating creature, as was originally intended.

Edit - Changes 2 & 3 will not be 'LIVE' until the next reset, which may occur tomorrow am.
Account and Billing issues: help@drakkarzone.com
E-mail: Omni.sysop@gmail.com
Twitter: @OmniSysop
http://www.facebook.com/omni.sysop
Send me Ideas, Suggestions, Bugs or Complaints!
Event Mailing list, send me an email with TELL ME OMNI in the subject!

Omni
Admin
Admin

Post by Omni »

5/24/2008

Emit and his twin brother Emit have shared some pointers on gear repair with Lisa. They have also mutually agreed to lower their prices, across the board!

Autos has had some math lessons and can now calculate your bank maximum value correctly if you are Friendly with the Tellers!

Norkos, Cobos and Cashieros have finally received a long lost memorandum on new bank limits!

Omni
Admin
Admin

Post by Omni »

Having once again used the excuse of having missed the memo, Norkos has now rammed the memo down Cobos' throat. Cobos now concedes he has actually received the memo on the bank limit changes!

Gipler, unsatisfied with the response from his craftmanship, has tossed out his old formula and now has a new and improved design. In a flurry of activity, the Crafting Guild has replaced all of Gipler's customers bows with the new and improved version.

Omni
Admin
Admin

Post by Omni »

Norken Times Special Edition

After years of watching their carefully constructed abodes invaded by all manner of foes with the greatest of ease, Uther has apparently enlisted the aid of his former companion Chipuda to further fortify his home. Not one to be outdone in the arms race, Chipuda has moved quickly to apply the same enhancements to his own retreat. A reporter from the Norken times was dispatched to interview Breshard and see if he would soon follow in their example. A corpse was later found in the center of Frore with the word YES carved into his body by a very sharp, pointy blade!

Nork has a new tenant. Rumor has it that he is well connected with the shopkeepers of the land and can mark an item in such a way that they will refuse to buy it no matter how demanding (or drunk) the customer! He is also an avid collector of rare books!

A terrible argument broke out at the latest meeting of the tinkerers guild. Emit has refused to continue to charge exorbitant prices to his customers and he and several of his guild members have all agreed to a considerable price break. In an attempt to reconcile with their angered members, the Tinkerers guild has provided their members with a new tool to assist in detecting equipment with strange defects and repair it free of charge even when the item is presented.

Certain survival trainers have, after considerable debate, decided that those who make their own luck should be just as fortunate (or unfortunate) as those who are just naturally lucky.

Nork's finest engineers have completed several projects:
The Nork jail has been reinforced with psionically resistant mortar. Applications have been posted for prison guards skilled in the healing arts.
The club house lockers have been given a fresh coat of paint.
The sysop guild hall has undergone some major expansions.
New statues have been added to the Hall of Guardians.

The Norken Times has been tipped off that new 'special' areas may have been snuck into the realms for the amusement of the Guardians. The informant was unable to reveal more as he was in fear of his life! We regret to inform you that the informant was later found in several places around Nork.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

09/24/2008
-----------

Major ability system addition:

- We have overhalled the discipline system to allow us to scale disciplines based on skill levels. All disciplines (SL 30+) that have minimum skill levels associated with them now have a "base" skill level and a "best" skill level. Usually the spread is 5 skill levels. For each skill level above minimum you reach, you will receive a boost in the "power" of the discipline, generally this works out to be 5% per level. This boost affects ALL portions of the discipline (IE if its an armor +100 damage + 2000 effect, both get boosted). The only exception to this currently is when the discipline utilizes a "proxy weapon" to do the damage. Even in this case, however, the other portions of the discipline are boosted.. such as +hit +swing, etc.
We have worked on this to give us some more flexibility in the upcoming new SL38+ abilities.

- We have found most of the major bugs in the discipline based pet system (not FF, but things like GUARDIAN). You can now correctly call a pet, who will know you as master. You can use the PET command to control the pet:
PET FOLLOW (default)
PET (gives info on your pet(s))
PET SIT (forces the pet to not attack)
PET ATTACK (puts the pet in attack mode)
PET ATTACK xxxx (forces the pet to attack the specified target).
Your pet will now "exit" when you exit and move to you if he can't find you.

- Abilities that buff "damage penetration" (the ability to pierce a damage shield) now work correctly, this was a typo in the discipline code.
- Some modifications of the NL BDC final encounter are going live after some long term testing on the test server.