CHAPTER I: Warped Perceptions

Fan Fiction about Drakkar
Balmxmoe

CHAPTER I: Warped Perceptions

Post by Balmxmoe »

The world of Kesmai had become a dismal place. The light of day became a rare sight, and it was replaced by a dreadful, persistent darkness. No longer could you step outside to be greeted by the laughter of children or the warm embrace of the sun. Something sinister and unnatural had taken hold of the once-beautiful world, grasping it with icy claws that seemed to be slowly scraping the sanctity of life from existence.

This is no place to raise a family, Nuvix thought, as he deliberately stroked his wild, untamed beard. He and his wife were two of the last living denizens of Kesmai. His wife, Marla, though alive, had died, in a way. The clutches of death had snatched away her sanity, leaving a hollow shell of the woman he once loved.

Nuvix turned his head as his thoughts were interrupted by a loud thumping sound.

"Go to the portal," he heard his wife scream monotonously as she pounded on the window, "Go now, imbicile!" She had been like this for days, chained to her rocking chair by an unknown force, babbling about some strange portal.

"I wish I could join you, my love," whispered Nuvix, as he turned back to face the cold, abysmal night, "The depths of insanity must be better than this." Perhaps the portal, he thought to himself, was a reference to just giving in? Maybe that's what his wife had done... sacrificed her sanity to escape this cruel reality.

"You know better than that," he chuckled to himself.

His laughter was short-lived, however, as he once again heard his wife's dead, lifeless voice, "Cold... COLD!" The fire must be going out, he decided. Nuvix rose to his feet and headed toward the door of his damaged home, careful not to trip where the floorboards were missing. The days had become cold and the nights even colder, and wood was scarce. His wife, before the decay of her mind, had been forced to pull apart the house itself to feed the hungry fire, which, Nuvix noticed, also seemed to be struggling for survival.

"Honey," Nuvix said, his voice calm with love, "I'm going to go search for more wood for the fire. Are you going to be okay by yourself?"

Marla turned her head, slowly, to face Nuvix, and a slight smile spread across her face. "Oh yes, the portal," she replied, "Did you find the portal?" Her smile soon faded into a scowl, however, and she started yelling again. "THE PORTAL, RETARD, THE PORTAL!!! HATE HATE HATE MORON POOORRRTAAALLLL!!" Having said her piece, Marla's face, again, became dead, and she returned to her silence.

"Uhh... okay," muttered Nuvix, a little shocked, "I just... wanted to make sure." He grabbed a sweater and turned to face the door. Before he could take a step, however, he heard a loud crunching noise, accompanied by the terrified screams of his wife. He turned toward her, and her rocking chair had folded around her, crushing her inside what now looked almost like a jaw.

"PORTAAALLLLL," she ranted, "Portal..." Her body became limp, and what little life was left in her eyes flickered and disappeared. Nuvix, shocked, stood in awe as the chair continued to maim his lover's body. Hunks of meat and blood splattered against the walls, leaving the room painted with a chunky, red glaze.

"I AM THE DEATH CHAIR," the chair began to speak, "AND YOU WILL GO TO THE PORTAL!"

Not quite grasping what had just happened, Nuvix responded. "The portal? The portal exists?" Maybe his wife wasn't insane, after all, he thought. Maybe she knew something he didn't.

"COME, I WILL TAKE YOU TO THE PORTAL," the deep, raspy voice of the death chair boomed through the room, rattling the windows and even the walls themselves, "COME NOW!"

"Wait... what is this portal," Nuvix asked, "and why should I trust you?"

"YOUR WIFE TRUSTED ME," the death chair stated, continuing to gnaw on his wife's remains. Perfect, he thought, his wife trusted the chair, and now she was just a pile of ground meat. Still, something about this chair's words seemed to inspire a strange trust-- a feeling that everything was going to be okay.

"Why do you want me to go," he asked, trying to be rational, "What purpose does it serve?" The chair began gnawing even more rapidly, now, and Nuvix could hear the sound of bone scraping against wood. Was the death chair nervous, he wondered, was it trying to hide something?

The response came quickly. "I AM DOOMED TO REMAIN IN THIS DYING WORLD," the death chair said in a slow, deep, deliberate tone, "THE POWERFUL ElArt, DEVOURER OF WORLDS, HAS COME, AND THERE IS NO ESCAPE FOR ME." The chair sighed, and the scent of blood filled the room, burning Nuvix's nose and taunting his stomach. "THERE IS ANOTHER WORLD... ALIVE... THRIVING... FILLED WITH FOOD," the agitated furniture continued, "AND I HAVE FAMILY THERE. YOU MUST WARN THE DEATH SASQUATCH OF THE COMING OF THE ElArt! TELL HIM OF MY FATE, AND SCREAM LOUDLY AS HE RENDS YOUR FLESH FROM YOUR BONES!"

Another world, thought Nuvix, this is perfect. He'd go to this new world, but he wouldn't warn the sasquatch. Instead, he would get revenge for his wife by slaughtering it. It's a fair trade, he decided, the chair destroyed my family, so he would destroy his. "Where is this portal?" he inquired, staring gravely at the chair.

"COME," a monstrous laugh echoed from the chair, "SIT AND I WILL SHOW YOU!" As the sound of its voice faded, so did its odd shape. The chair warped and twisted back into its original form, and Nuvix felt alone. He had nothing left to lose, he thought, as he stepped up to the chair. This is was his last hope. Nuvix turned his back toward the chair, and he sat down.

...TO BE CONTINUED, MOTHERHUMPERS!

EDIT: Typo
Last edited by Balmxmoe on Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mars
Admin
Admin

Replying to Topic "Warped Perceptions"

Post by Mars »

CHAPTER II: Free at Last

I can't always do the same quality of writing. I don't think I was nearly as descriptive in this chapter. I'll try to do better for the next one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Nuvix sat, waiting to be shown the portal, he half-expected to be killed. The death chair, after all, had devoured his wife, who was also in search of the portal.

"Show me the damn portal!" he exclaimed, "I've been sitting here for over an hour!"

As if on queue, a deep chill washed over him, penetrating his body. He felt like his soul, itself, had begun to shiver. This is it, Nuvix thought, it's finally happening! The light in the room flickered, and darkness stole his vision. Nothing happened.

Nuvix sighed as he realized what had happened. The fire had gone out, and he was still sitting in the chair, waiting to be shown this portal.

"DAMMIT, YOU STUPID CHAIR," he screamed, "TAKE ME TO THE DAMN PORTAL!" Still, nothing happened. He sat for what seemed like days, without change. This is rediculous, he thought, the death chair scammed me!

Nuvix grew tired of waiting. He grew tired of sitting in this cold, dark home, surrounded by his lover's entrails. He was tired of life, itself. I'll give this chair one more day, he thought, and then I'll break the damn thing. As tired as he was, however, he knew he wouldn't last a day. As he sat, waiting, his mind began to drift... and then there was nothing.

Suddenly, Nuvix awoke... still wrapped in that icy blanket of darkness.

"I'm tired of this," he stated, "I'm getting up." As he tried to stand, however, he realized that he couldn't feel his legs. His entire body, in fact, was completely numb!

Out of the darkness, the beautiful, soft voice of a woman chimed, "What is your calling?" Nuvix was startled. He didn't know there was anybody else alive in Kesmai.

Nuvix paused for a moment before responding. "Excuse me," he inquired, "Who are you?" He was puzzled.

The soothing voice repeated itself. "What is your calling?" This was getting stranger by the second. Nuvix didn't know what the voice meant. He decided he would ask the voice about the portal.

"I want the portal," he said in a matter-of-fact voice, "Just the portal." Perhaps this voice was somehow tied to the portal. Anything was better than sitting, helpless, in the death chair's maw.

"The gift of magic," the voice began, "It is both a blessing and a curse. To manipulate the power of the universe itself... it takes its toll on one's body and soul. Is this your calling?"

Nuvix was dumbfounded. Magic? He'd heard of the wizards of Kesmai, but he never imagined he'd ever get caught up in their affairs. Still, the portal could be considered magic, and that is what he wanted.

"Yes," he replied, "My calling is magic." He felt a warmth embrace his soul, bringing with it visions of tremendous power. Nuvix again tried to stand, but his body was still numb.

"And this magic," the voice seemed to sing as it asked, "What would you use it for?" This was truly confusing.

"I wish to travel to another world, full of life," he stated, "and to get revenge for my lost wife." If the voice was related to the portal, surely this would be clear enough.

"Destruction," the dreamy voice said, "Pure, unadultered power. Welcome, Nuvix, to the domain of the Drakkar."

The voice disappeared, and Nuvix was more confused than ever. He wondered what the voice could have meant. Even as he pondered this, he noticed the darkness was slowly fading. Shapes began to appear, and then colors. When, at last, the darkness was gone, he found he was no longer in his home. He was standing inside of an extremely large, scholarly building, surrounded by people. Instantly, he fell to the floor, hitting his head on a large, golden plate.

Well, he thought as he stood back up, at least I can move again. He surveyed his surroundings, and realized what had happened. He had found the portal. He was finally free.

Frozboz

Replying to Topic 'CHAPTER I: Warped Perceptions'

Post by Frozboz »

Originally posted by Mars_Sysop

CHAPTER II: Free at Last
Mars = Balmxmoe?

Mars
Admin
Admin

Post by Mars »

Nope, I moved Chapter II to be a reply to Chapter I, rather than a new thread, this will keep the story together for easier reading, once other threads are added to this area.

V/R

Mars

Balmxmoe

Post by Balmxmoe »

I would've kept it all together, if not for the title of the first post.

Didn't seem right for the entire story to be labeled "CHAPTER 1: Warped Perceptions"

If, later, I come up with an actual name for the story, would it be possible to rename the thread?

Mars
Admin
Admin

Post by Mars »

You can try, just click edit on the first post of the thread

Cirion

Post by Cirion »

Death... Chair... thats sweet, couldnt stop laughing when it ate the girl. Good story, I like it :
;|