Gear Damage

General User Chat
Necron99

Gear Damage

Post by Necron99 »

Hail!

Since the reset, I have noticed a tremendous increase in gear damage. A walk through the MultiLair in Nork cost me 50K to repair. Weapon, armor and outside robe damaged.

30 min in the swamp in Cob cost me about the same, weapon, armor and all robes damaged...and this was without engaging any of the BD's that hang out there.

I spoke with Astra, he told me that he had to abandon his nin fight due to the fact that his GK2 hally became useless during the conflict. Another player said that his gauntlets fumbled (and needed repaired) after a short period in ud3.5. A different player told me that he had to repair armor and robes to the tune of 700k after burning Arun area.

Is this the intent of the new gear damage routines?

I think that having to repair gear after 30 min detracts from the game. Perhaps some tweeking in this area should be performed?

Necron.

Astra

Replying to Topic 'Gear Damage'

Post by Astra »

Just to be accurate, i didn't even get to ningi hole before my gk2 hally was rendered useless.

Crusher

Post by Crusher »

I think when you repair your gear, you should have a decent span between it going from each level of degrading.

When you repair your gear, you seem to go to the top of Average. Is there a difference between the top of average and the bottom of average? It seems so, because I can repair my armor while it's still Average. If this is the case, make it where the Top of average is the same as the bottom and when it touches Below Average, you can then repair it. I was wondering about Above Average also. Should Outcasts have to wait until the armor is Below Average, before they can repair it again?

Also, 4 (Your Armor has been damaged) makes any robe/weapon useless. My Albron is getting worked on. Finally broke after 3-4 deaths lol

Armorstrike useless's any armor in 3-4 hits.
Last edited by Crusher on Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never win... PLEAD INSANITY!

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

I noticed the dramatic increase in gear damage yesterday. For the first time, since forever, I had to repair my NL armor.

I then did a 20 minute hunt in NL forge. No deaths.

Robes and armor were redamaged and needed repair.

One player noted every few hours his gear looses one level of repair (above average, to average, for example).

Working as intended?
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard
Avatar (C) WIlliam Li: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/w/i/william/
KaM Guild Website: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ctanzio/kam.html

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

This will DEFINETLY need some tunings. When we changed from a "destroyed" system i had to scale all the values, so most likely there are some issues.

Try to help me seperate gear damage from effects ( such as corrosive spray, etc), from gear damage from combat.

Thanks,
Brad
Last edited by Brad on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crusher

Post by Crusher »

Corspray destroys/poofs gear in 1 shot. I lost Blue Full Plate and P-Ammy while seeing how Corspray works.
Last edited by Crusher on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Necron99

Post by Necron99 »

All the events I described were the result of normal melee activities. No deaths or other special damage type psi or weapons or attacks.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

POOFS? as it DELETES the armor?

Or renders it useless?

Crusher

Post by Crusher »

Poofs as in Deletes.

Also, when your armor becomes useless while wearing it, you keep it on, but if it becomes useless and you take it off, you can't put it back on until it's repaired. Quite annoying if you were to take off the armor to check if it was useless, and it actually was.

Also, when you get armor striked, don't remove the notice, but please change which armor it damages. As in, Fur, Robe, scales, plates, leather, whatever heh.
Last edited by Crusher on Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

1 hour hunt in Ancient Keep of Cobrahn. Mostly giants beating on me and player casting firebreath (some minor damage from the spell). A Kite Shield went from fully repaired to useless.

Does damage from player spells also damage gear now?
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard

Necron99

Post by Necron99 »

Brad,

Any ETA on gear damage tweeking?

Necron.

Crusher

Post by Crusher »

Taken from Early Morning Convo

brad: yeah, every hit on your armor is 100 times as much damage as it should be ( smile )
Crusher: lol
brad: err 10 times

Brad clarified that every hit on your armor is 10x as much as it should be.

Necron99

Post by Necron99 »

Ok,

Even though Brad put in some changes in a fix yesterday, I am still having to repair gear every hour. This is from normal melee type of hunting in Cob swamps, with some periodic fireballing by lizardmen.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I used to have to repair gear on the order of every other month. Some gear, like Merk robes and hag plate never got damaged. Ditto for my collection of hallys.

Now, my nin padded beetle fp, lori robes, and SoG hally are constantly damaged.

Is this the direction that the gear damage system is heading? If so, I am of the opinion that it is the wrong direction. Constant gear damage is just another one of those "grunting" type of activities that adds negatively to the game experience.

What is going on here?

Necron.

Mars
Admin
Admin

Post by Mars »

Gear and weapons should be damaged by use. However, right now it may require more tweaking to get it "right"

I think if you only had to repair every other month, it was WAY low, but every hour/day is a little much still.

Brad is still working on tweaks to this.

Necron99

Post by Necron99 »

The gear I mentioned only needed repaired every other month or so...and that makes sense to me, since it is pretty much top of the line nork stuff.

My lvl 18 ment wears mama naga scales, and various robes. The scales at least needed repaired every 3-4 days, especially if I was doing a lot of killing in the clickers area.

Yesterday, after playing in Aleria (Ghouls) for 30 min, I had to get my chipper repaired (I guess from the blocks, since I don't attack with it), my bresh shield repaired, the mama naga scales repaired and the slith robe repaired. The Easter robe was fine <shrug>.

My point is that before the changes, mid-level type gear did take damage...especially the armor. High-end gear did not take much damage, or so it seemed anyway.

This has changed.

Doro

Post by Doro »

Currently repairing every 30 mins in UD3.5.
I fail to see why the gear is damaged at all.
It is just an inconvenience with no gain, much as drowning.

Take more time and gold from us for no reason why don't you?

Aren't these "improvements" suposed to aid our enjoyment?

Please rethink this gear damage and remove it entirely.

Yours

Doro
ho

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

When you say "repairing", does that may it goes to destroyed? or that it just acquires some damage.

Doro

Post by Doro »

It is damaged, rendering it useless for all intents and purposes (i.e. the shield no longer blocks).

I have not checked it's status with the double click as I wasn't getting blocks and needed to fix the shield regardless of it's state.

A rapair fixes it so that it DOES block again.
This is all inside 30 mins and is repeatable.

I understand that a curvey sword will damage, but does everything now damage gear?
Last edited by Doro on Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ho

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

Just did a test on Timmy-2 in Cobrahn.

All geared fully repaired.

Hunted for 10 minutes.

10k coin worth of damage done to robe.

Working as intended?
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

No, but i need to figure out whether any of the npcs you are hunting have gear damaging weapons, do they? ( I mean the weapons that actually ALWAYS hurt gear ).

Trying to seperate wear and tear damage from the gear damaging attacks some creatures have.

Thanks

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

No NPCs with curvey longswords in that area. I'd say just wear and tear damage.

I will run down there again and monitor the scroll to see if there are any "your gear is damaged" messages, but I don't think anything on that level wields a weapon or attack that is specifically designed to damage gear.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard

Doro

Post by Doro »

Nope, sorry.

I will not sit by and watch a once great game be reduced like this for the sake of some quirks.

This gear damaging has no benefit to any player.

In itself it is of no import, but it is one step too far.

I disagree with the introduction.
I hear that I am not alone, but am the only one saying it or so it seems.

Once again, please reconcider this introduction. I have come back from a brief holiday to find my game enjoyment reduced.

I hear folks saying that it will be tweaked, but how about removing it until it has been tweaked?

Accounts now closed until further notice.

Doro

PS We are all here for the fun, where is it with the introduction of gear damaging?
ho

Frozboz

Post by Frozboz »

Don't you get it Doro? Follow the progression to it's logical conclusion. Here's what he is doing, and why:

1) Make virtually all combat actions damage gear.
2) Force players to repair gear MUCH more often than they used to. So what if it's not fun.
3) Introduce a way to slow this process (quirks)
4) Players want this, because it's annoying as it is
5) Players pay the extra to get UGH, to get quirks, to slow their armor decay, to make the game a little more fun.
6) More UGH customers = More money for Brad.

It's all he cares about. The only way to get through to him is obvious. Sure, he says "initially" quirks will be only for UGH customers, but I give it a good 3-1 odds it stays that way for at least 1-2 years or permanently (after all, how long was NL in "beta"?). It's sad, because just fixing important game balance issues and in our case, punishing dupers and cheaters and adding/fixing content would have kept us playing and brought in MORE money over time than this silly new system.

[edit]: Grammar
Last edited by Frozboz on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

Actually, this gear damage issue is only a cob problem, im not sure if people have noticed that trend yet or not. 5 days now, and my killer gs has yet to go below the average condition. Ditto on my armor/robes. What do i win? Anyway, dont think many people would waste quirk points on armor/weapon care abilties froz.
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Frozboz

Post by Frozboz »

Alright, so what's the reason he's adding it? And don't give me any roleplaying nonsense either, or weak reasons like "this is the way the game was intended from day one but somehow it got overlooked". I want a solid, well thought out reason WHY something like this is being worked on when other larger issues still exist and are seemingly being ignored.

Most changes that make no sense to players and make the game less fun for them eventually lead to the game's detriment.