Traps

If you have an idea post it here
Crusher

Traps

Post by Crusher »

I havn't seen many people use traps in a long time. Is it because they cost too much or what? Traps seem weak for their price. I think it's like 11k for a Shockwave trap in Cob. It only does 20 damage per skill level, so a maximum of 600 damage for non-primal characters. At skill 30, Backstab does atleast 5k per round.
Earthcrush traps do damage to yourself.
You don't get the xp for what the trap kills, but the guy that set it off does.
Should there be more traps used in the game? I know thieves have "disarm". Is it possible to use that on something else besides one of your own traps?
A few ideas to make traps more worthwhile is to use the streetwise skill with traps. More traps you set and have go off, the higher your skill goes up. When your streetwise skill is at 15, your traps do 15 levels higher damage. When streetwise and thievery is at 30, your traps do damage equal to skill 60.

Fixes:
Traps should give you more experience for being set off, as well as the experience for the kills.
Traps should be cast as if you cast them, not the person who set them off.
Traps should be cheaper or do more damage.
Traps in VT should be fixed, there is a trap that remains unbuyable. If I remember right, there were nork EC traps. The traps messed up and moved over one making the EC trap unbuyable.

Many more things should be done to traps. It's not a necessity, but I think it would add a little more flavor to the game.
You'll never win... PLEAD INSANITY!

dhavin

Replying to Topic 'Traps'

Post by dhavin »

What I'd like to see is the ability to set traps with a specific trigger:

TRAP WEST ORC

...might lay down the trap in hand that will only be triggered by the next orc to step on it.

It would also be cool if you could remotely trigger a trap from hiding:

TRAP WEST TRIGGER

...might wait for a trigger command before detonating, ignoring anything that steps on the hex.

Roland

Post by Roland »

Would be kewl if traps were more useful outside of Nork.

One way would be for Brad to program in some of the tier disciplines so that they can be on traps, and then either have the traps somehow drop randomly as loot in the areas, not as rare bloods/batwings, but perhaps as rare as the pages from wolves. A great place to have them drop would be from everything in Bog except: swampbats, terrors, bandits, arcanists, and bogwitches..since all those things already drop something useful. Perhaps have each type of crit drop a different type of trap, with the intestinoids dropping the most desirable , since they are the toughest thing to kill for a thiefy. But bog would be an awesome place, since that area is close to being best hunted by thieves, and would encourage people to kill things other than the terrors & bats.
SirRoland,
Follower of The Old Code
"Call what you need of me. Ask what you will of me. My sword, my service are yours !"

Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I would like to have traps ignore players totaly.

Yesterday I was some where.. a ment came by firebreathing and killing all the crits I had just trapped up. since the crits had not stepped on the trap, the player died instantly to the 2 ec traps on the hex.

<sigh>

Luckly he was red to me since he fb'ed me also in his wild flury of actions.

I tried to twig him out to get him a rez but it would not let me twig with the corpse. <sigh>

Crusher

Post by Crusher »

Well, it would have shown that he killed himself anyway. Traps make the person who steps on them "cast" the disc. That's what it's almost useless for thieves to use them, they don't get the xp for the trap killing stuff.

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

Yep,
if you use SW trap an NPC that triggers it gets exp for any kills in the area that trap does.

Traps can not be programmed with your skill level, they only work at "built in" level even though it talks about possibility to set strength level (somewhere?) on them it in no longer in game.

Power in them is also lacking,

I used them(SW trap) only for fun in cob upper keep when alone, but mostly for fun.

Crusher

Post by Crusher »

Type "Trap (thief skill)" and it will set it at that.