Drakkar eating problems...

If you have an idea post it here
TangoDown

Drakkar eating problems...

Post by TangoDown »

Ive been playing this game for a good 5 years now, on and off and the one major thing about the game i HATE and by HATE i mean waster 3 months of playins this game all together. When a player is eaten there is nothign you can do to stop it, i think there should be a way to get all ur losses back besides skilling/xping/and coining all over again. What i think should be done is if you do get eaten your corpse is in the Monster so once it is searched your corpse is found and can be brough to a healer trainer and like a baskie stoning brough back to life at a cost fo money, probally 500k or sumthing like that. and if you do get eaten your corpse will only stay in there for 10-30 minutes (sysops choose this) or untill u restore, once u restore the effects of eating are irreversible unless u re-xp and skill. Or at the least make like an ammy, ring, or sash that makes u immune to eats. Eating is in my opinion one of the worst rules to the game, losing all ur stuff and hp is bad enough, xp and skill is just crazy.

DW Lee

Replying to Topic ' Drakkar eating problems...'

Post by DW Lee »

Yea, that would be awesome but, I doubt It'll ever happen :(
Diadem____ROAR

art1

Post by art1 »

isn't this game already wussy enough. its an eat, you know your limits before you mess around with an eater. you have a simple choice to not go fight an eater if you dont want to get eaten. i sure hope this is not implemented.
http://www.geocities.com/zandofkod
Link got removed from mainpage due to complaints. Check it out!

TangoDown

Post by TangoDown »

so your say that if sum1 gets fed to a Lair they should pay for it? or if their going to frore and the rd eats them when their running (happens alot) its their fault?
Last edited by TangoDown on Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DW Lee

Post by DW Lee »

Frore rd's dont eat, they only strip...
Diadem____ROAR

Hawk409

Post by Hawk409 »

i agree with Art. i have not heard of a player getting fed to a lair in many years. and if u cant handle running by rd, maybe u shouldn't be near frore yet :P well not you, but others who die that way.
In all my time playing i have never gotten eaten yet as well
Last edited by Hawk409 on Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No one lives forever, Infact we all die

-Hawk_____STORM

TangoDown

Post by TangoDown »

I know about limitations but tell me y this would be a bad thing to happen? what would the disadvantages of this? i realy dont see any.

Anarion

Post by Anarion »

I think, though i could and prolly am wrong, if u get fed to a lair you can report whoever fed you to the lair and they'll be punished, and you'll prolly get back everything you lost. As for the being eaten by the RD part, im sorry to say it, but if u get 1 shot by the RD, your crit isn't big enough for it to be a huge deal to reroll your crit, and you should be able to get by the rd with only getting hit once because you should know where the rd is (he's in his lair or there's some in frore, but if you'll watch the scroll it'll give you hints as to where they are).

EDIT:BTW, i started writing before i saw Hawk's post, so it's a little repetitive, but meh
Last edited by Anarion on Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawk409

Post by Hawk409 »

well, a disadvantage would be a bunch of newbs running around getting killed by lairs cause they know all that will happen is they dp, then other bigger players will waste their time continuously getting dp's.
No one lives forever, Infact we all die

-Hawk_____STORM

DW Lee

Post by DW Lee »

good point. let them learn a lesson by getting eaten :p
Diadem____ROAR

Anarion

Post by Anarion »

I should prolly add, i do like your idea, just not your examples of when it should be used.

TangoDown

Post by TangoDown »

Uhhh Hawk dont wanna sound mean but isnt thta what happens now? thats what new people do they die and ask for their dps back , i did that when i was new and im sure every one here did to, and if the people are new how are they going to get to hard lairs? vt rd is pretty much the only thing that they can get get to in the begining

DW Lee

Post by DW Lee »

yes tango that is true, but if they get eaten theyre hardly going to go back there in the near future
Diadem____ROAR

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

eats are fine, at the time they may seem devastating but 50% from a standard rd eat is only a few hours of skilling to regain, and exp isnt that hard to recover either if you know where to go. Be grateful eats are the way they are, i was told once, dont know if its true, that an eat long ago was a forced reroll, imagine gettin eaten by reggie when your in your 20's and being rr'ed, happened to me on a reggie gone bad
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Morgar

Post by Morgar »

Everyone hates eats, I don't know a single person that likes them. But they are the risk we all take upon tangling with a lair crit. While it may be true that in days long past eats were worse than they are today, I don't think it really matters. There needs to be an element of risk in hunting a lair, and eats are fairly easy to recover from even if it is time consuming.

Many of the known nork, alerian and cob lair eats occur because people do not do the hunt correctly. Parties arrive in piecemeal and are defeated in detail. Or the party is simply inadequate to do the intended hunt. Just 5 minutes of planning and assembling your party usually is sufficient to greatly reduce the chance of an eat (but never completely eliminates it).

Plan your hunt, ask people for advice. Does the lair require special things, like a disarm pally, or a ment casting infravision. Is a Power Word Healer needed? Who's gonna bait and is the baiter big enough to survive being hit? Does everyone know what they should be doing? There are lair crits that I learned the hard way that I can't touch them. Graagh for example, I nearly committed suicide on his psi mirror. No one told me not to try espearing him, I had to find that out myself the hard way.

Often today many lair hunts are led by the person that needs the gear. In nork thats usually some newbie that has no clue whats going on. Newbie Advice: If you're big enough for the gear and want to get up a hunt for it, find someone whos been on that hunt and ask them to help you set up the hunt and to lead it. Odds are he/she will probably know what you need and know people that will be willing to help.

I have been eaten twice in my years of playing. Just twice, and in both cases, it happened largely because the parties I belonged to failed to do any advance planning and arrived to the lair in ones and twos instead of arriving together. And I was dumb enough to go along on them.

So yeah I hate eats, but thats part of the game, and one which I think we need to keep. Eliminating the risk lessens the experience. There are some lairs which still produce sweaty hands because of the risk even today (for me at least). Its part of the Drakkar experience.

Useful Drakkar files for Heros and Cowards: http://www.northernwebs.com/drakkar

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

It seems that the red dragon on way to frore is the source of this problem. Again I wonder what would those that run to frore and dont have enough hp to survive the dragon be doing in Frore?

Oh, Acid Caves, of course... *shrug*

Anyway, stay out of eaters once you know them. If the vt rd is a problem... have it killed.
Mihey__PHNX

Yeti

Post by Yeti »

drak has already become enough like candy land, eats are one of the few real penalties left, and even they dont mean much. All the lairs that eat are known to do so, if you dont want to get eaten then dont go to them, noone is forcing you

ive been eaten dozens upon dozens of times, simply because i like fighting things i have a chance at losing to. It makes it more rewarding when you finally do win, and chances are you will never lose the item you earned.

-Yeti
Last edited by Yeti on Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
If Practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, then why practice?
If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t more people happy?
What are those little things on the end of your shoelaces called?
and finally...

If money is the root of all evil then how come churches ask for it?

King

Post by King »

Yup, eaters are great and i have been ate ALOT of times aswell like Yeti. Aswell as Yeti getting me ate by RD when i first started playing the game -.- But ya know what, we recover from eats, i knew i could get ate, but i chose to go on the hunt anyway and i died so i got my gear back and started back to exp/skilling

Kanak

Post by Kanak »

Geeze........... I can't believe we are even having this conversation

NO RISK+NO GUTS = NO GLORY

Be happy that in this modern world, that when your eaten, you are not gone for ever.

The solution:

After being eaten your really really good friends follow the lair crit around with a pooper-scooper. After recovering your steamy essense, they palce it in thier sack and return to Nork for the reconstitution ceremony. What you say you have friends but they are not that good? Then I guess you are SOL.

Disclaimer for the humor impaired: The above is a joke. Not a real proposal:p

TangoDown

Post by TangoDown »

I know what your all saying, eats add excitement and challenge to the game , they do but once you get eaten and take some serious losses, my last one for my 17/14 healer was -8 megs xp -1 skill level and -27 hp and that there wasted 3 weeks of playing this game. I hate eats because they make skilling for weeks pointless and you actually lose skill, (this is for the normal players , not you hardcore gamers who play 22 hours out of the day :p )

EDIT: an about having the vtrd killed to get to frore i dont think people are going to kill it just so some 1 can get to frore...

EDIT #2: I know i can get it back but im free and nork sucks for skill and xp considering the only things i can kill give me 5-10k xp and i can only play 2 hours a day so dont say its "easy " to get back in my position.
Last edited by TangoDown on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arithawn

Post by Arithawn »

8 meg EXP takes a short time to regain even in lower areas like Aleria. The skill loss of even 50% if done with a freind can be regained in a couple hours even under normal play. If anything I think the penalties for the lairs we have in the game and for those to come should be a little harsher then what they are now. The risks for the standard lairs are way too easy that is why half the newbs have gear way beyond thier means to obtain.
Arithawn

Anarion

Post by Anarion »

The only reason ive ever HAD to go past VT RD when i was on a crit small enough to be 1 hit by it was to make a fighter/ment

Northview

Post by Northview »

Originally posted by Morgar
Many of the known nork, alerian and cob lair eats occur because people do not do the hunt correctly.
just out of curiousity Morgar, what lair in aleria eats? maybe you know of a hidden lair that has yet to be found by anyone else or your just not thinking.

Morgar

Post by Morgar »

Originally posted by Northview

Originally posted by Morgar
Many of the known nork, alerian and cob lair eats occur because people do not do the hunt correctly.
just out of curiousity Morgar, what lair in aleria eats? maybe you know of a hidden lair that has yet to be found by anyone else or your just not thinking.
Nice northview. Its pretty well known by people that know me that I largely skipped aleria although I've hit a few of its lairs. I included it because people die in lairs there, including myself (in the fire lizard lair). If no alerian lairs are eats, then fine, hunt only in aleria if you don't want to be eaten. :)

I'll stand by my original posting despite the mistake. Many of the lair deaths that occur do so due to poor planning and poor execution.

Oh and here are a few nits for you to pick.:p

Useful Drakkar files for Heros and Cowards: http://www.northernwebs.com/drakkar

Raki

Post by Raki »

The VT RD eats?