Rules of Conduct Must Be Changed

General User Chat
Ztinktoof

Replying to Topic 'Rules of Conduct Must Be Changed'

Post by Ztinktoof »

The "old code" of PKing and stripping was greatly abused by large players to intimidate smaller players to seize control of areas the larger player wanted to hunt. The number of times I saw it used to abuse small players vastly exceeded the times it was used to retrain griefers.

Same mentality as using the "new code" by large players to floor thief. At least under the new code the abused player won't loose gear.

On balance, the "old code" sucked. I say good riddance.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard
Avatar (C) WIlliam Li: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/w/i/william/
KaM Guild Website: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ctanzio/kam.html

Kanak

Post by Kanak »

Once upon a time, in lands such as this, adventurers went forth to meet the challenge. They took pride in the characters which they built; they played with honnor and respect. Even those that played an evil role did so with a degree of class and integrety that has become a distant vision.

Earned respect. Honnor. Pride. These are things of that "Old Code".

Any fixation on people running around as vigilantes is unwarranted. Besides its not the act but the potential threat that is a deterrent. The key to whose kill, whose hex, whose screen is tolerence and RESPECT.

Kanak

Tol acharn...............................
Last edited by Kanak on Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

personally the LoK mark system, as kanak said, was one of the best, in fact to add insult to injury and further make it clear that deletion of the crit WILL be enforced have it announced across all the lands that so and so was deleted for pk'ing, maybe give some people something to think about *shrug*
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Tristram

Post by Tristram »

Brad stated in "Rules of Conduct", topic " Player Vs Player Combat":

(edited)
"Drakkar is NOT a pvp game, nor has it ever been. If you cannot live without PvP, you
would be best served spending your money elsewhere."

Hmmm. NOT a pvp game, NEVER HAS BEEN!!

It appears that this "old code" of newbie correction is nothing more than a fabrication; a justification for bullying.

I hear words like honor, respect, and pride. But how can you use those terms in connection with attacking a weaker and inferior 'opponent'? That's just pure cowardice !!

If you want to pretend that you are chivalrous, possessing virtues such as valor, gallantry, courtesy, and honor; then remember that the chivalrous knights of olde served thier lord, obeying his wishes and the laws of the land.

It's funny....I've been to probably all of your web sites, and I can't remember seeing one guild who didn't state that a requirement for membership was to obey all of the rules of the game. No PKing is one of them.....and always has been.

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

As long as PK ability is in the game, I will protect myself and my friends. I will not stand by and watch my friends getting killed. I will break rules to protect my friends.

On a side note- how do you define RESPECT?

Do you expect smaller, younger players to RESPECT your age and size and move out of their hunting area whenever you enter? Or hand the lair items over to you?

If you expect smaller players to respect you, you must show respect to them as well; or else they will continue the "trend of respect" when they get big and harrass smaller players.
Mihey__PHNX

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

tristam, once in a different time, the owners of the game at that time didnt really give a crap about pking, there is a reason its called the OLD code, and to be honest i highly doubt anyone in the game has followed every rule set forth by brad to the T all the time
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Tristram

Post by Tristram »

OK, Darge, you just changed the rules of engagement. Since you brought 'honesty' into the equation we'll have to remove the guantlets and settle this in a different manner. Please...Darge....everyone....join me in the Steel Flower. Let's pull tables together and all gather 'round for a little friendly discussion and a few rounds of Stan's. The first round....er two...no three rounds are on me!

As you get to know me on these forums you will soon discover that I like to debate an issue that I find interesting. I will chose a side ( usually from the underdog point of view) and 'argue' points from that perspective. Though some of my statements may come across a little strong, I try to make each point valid and thought provoking. In this case there are many proponents for the "old code", each expressing themselves quite well. The opponents seem to be few in number. Tristram, being a little guy, finds it easy to take a stance against the "old code".

OK, speaking honestly.....I'll admit that if there was an extremely annoying individual (notice I didn't say newbie) causing everyone discomfort, I'm sure that I might be caught brandishing a smile at seeing them get their comeupance. An audible chuckle might even be heard. But, I have yet to experience this individual.

The primary point of the "old code", i'm sure I don't understand fully it's implication, with which I find the most disagreement is that it works in one direction only. It's great for big crits, but leaves small crits lacking for justice. Please, allow me to display a few more lines from Brad's discussion to which I previously referred.....

"Penalties:
First offense - Warning
Second Offense - 7 Day Ban
Third Offense - Account Lock

This includes ANY action that intentionally jeopardizes the play of another player. Including ( but not limited to )
- Causing creatures to attack another player
- Directly Attacking a player
- Stealing from a player
- Buffing, healing or engaging a creature that another player is currently attacking
- Taking ANY action which would endanger another player character, with the intent to
do so.
- Taking any action which affects a player in an undesired fashion ( liminv, mass teleport, etc )"

There seems to be adequate penalties for most situations provided that enforcement is strict. Even hunting in adjacent hexes could be covered if pulling a zoo from the original hunter is breaking the "- Buffing, healing or engaging a creature that another player is currently attacking" rule.

It looks to me like rules are in place, but enforcement is lenient. Even this is understandable given the small community atmosphere.
Last edited by Tristram on Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambrose
Title: Always Right

Post by Ambrose »

The point has always been that enforcement is at best sporadic ... and those of us with the means to slap down rudeness don't like to go whining for help from Daddy.

Players (but not a single player) do have the means ... IF they have the will ... to teach and chastise the errant newbie.

Part of the handicap of teaching is the time it takes to type out exactly what has been done wrong ... the crit can be long gone by then ... logged out if they knew they were wrong to start with ...

I remember the days of holding player corpses and typing as they enjoyed a little 'time out' ... sometimes they yelled abusive things ... and like children, the lesson they learned was 'do not get caught' and 'there is always a bigger fish' ... these are not the lessons we want to teach.

Once again I will propose a convocation of players ... 'attended' by reps from every guild and other, untagged individuals of tenure. The goal would be to document the expectations of players BY players ... levels of chastisement & contrition ... I'm thinking that the convocation would best progress in a message board format addressing points from a agreed upon outline. If it can be organized, perhaps they will give us a portaled section within these forums. If there is interest, voice it here or pm if you see me.