Event times and Organisations

Tnem
Title: Lord

Event times and Organisations

Post by Tnem »

Getting fed up of this now, i just heard about an event that was put on at 3am GMT where high end goodies were given out.
I think its "fairer" that you either stop doing these events or that you publicise time in this forum as we now have a section for it AND that we get some european events. I dont care what time zone the sysops are in, get some european sysops. Its extremely unfair and frustrating to find out the next day or a few days after that some event has been run and stupid high end goodies have been given out.
Its always like this, all of tiggers/flisks events are never prearranged they happen if they are on, Omni is the only person who has even tried to make an event accessible to us europeans (even tho i didn't make it cause of reasons specified elsewhere).
Its not only europeans who get the rough end of the stick, its also people who work wierd hours.
I pay the same amount as any american (or other international player) who plays this game, why can't i get the same value for money ??

Rocky

Re: Event times and Organisations

Post by Rocky »

I agree and disagree

I agree that they should be made more public like posted in forums but at the same time it was the dz topic

the times i also agre can be weird most of the time they are set to around noon or 11 am or 1 pm eastern time which can be a problem for thos of us in pacific time that are at work at 9 am when these events go on not sure bout time in europe 2 hours ahead of eastern?

but with events like these theres nothing we can do but be on at the right time the main events valentines easter and so on are up for a week so just do those

but i do understand youre frustrations about it exspesially high end gear

Tnem
Title: Lord

Post by Tnem »

5hours

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

so anyone in europe with an evening job would have trouble with these events too

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

Nevermind me.
Last edited by Darge on Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

yea i just noticed there was also one on the 21st saying its coming

Omni
Admin
Admin

Post by Omni »

I typically choose 12:00 pm EST or thereabouts specifically so that events do not run into the early AM for Europeans. This puts the event squarely into reasonable hours for everyone from the West Coast of the Americas to Eastern Europe as it tends to only be 8 or 9 pm there. Roughly 9am EST for West Coasters, to about 9pm for eastern europe

Unfortunately, I cannot schedule around the lives of 60-120 people.

The spontaneous events are just that, spontaneous. If I have some free time, I try to entertain those people who are online at the time.

While I admit I missed updating the day/time in the forums, I did send out an email to those who subscribed for my event announcements. That email was sent 3-4 days prior to the event and stated when the event could take place.

If you want to be on my email list - send an email to Omni.sysop@gmail.com with the subject line TELL ME OMNI. I have 90+ people now subscribed to my list.

I typically will fire off an email even for fast events, in case folks are lurking on their pc's and not in game.

Omni

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

i made a mistake here

there were several notices if you looked for them i got 2 emails about it and there was a forum post and it was the lobby message so you really had to be avoiding it to not know about it

flisk
Admin
Admin
Title: King of Drakkar

Post by flisk »

My events are almost always spontanious.

That means I don't plan em, I just log in a run em.

I've run them in my own time zone (Central) at noon, at midnight, at 5 PM, at 2 AM, at 9 AM, at 7 PM, very random times.

I can't "plan" to have something spontanious happen.

However, with that said, with the new website being created I am looking into a nice calendar system to put into place that will have sysop events listed.

Another however; however, that does not exactly mean that spontanious events will show up on the calendar. I think that's one thing that helps make the game fun for most people is to have a surprise every now and again.

Tirith
Title: The Raging Darge

Post by Tirith »

I agree with you flisk. Spontaneous events definately gives the game some excitement. And just because you miss a spontaneous event, you cant say all events should be planned. Tnem, the event you speak of that gave out high end items, I missed also, I work night times, I received the email announcing it but I was at work and could not attend. I would have LOVED the item they received for participating. Unfortunately, its something I just have to suck up. As far as planned events. There is no reason for you to be upset about missing a planned event. There was emails sent out to many people on his list. There was a message in lobby upon logging in. and a forums post(although vague, one would think, lets ask my guild or friends and see what they know about it)

All in all, the events are great and mixing it up with random events and planned events are a great way to keep the game fun and interesting for those that pay to keep the game running.

Doro

Post by Doro »

Good grief, do you folks still not a European Sysop? ho ho

I'll devise an event (or a dozen themed ones) if I am given the goodies to hand out.

Uni

Post by Uni »

Complaints are justified in that if you do not say what is wrong, no one can fix it. Get on the email list!

I've missed many events, I've been to many events, so I see both sides. However, Omni has done an amazing job, utterly amazing. This last event was emailed with time of event, way in advance.

When a really kewl event happens, where grand prizes are awarded and you miss the event, it is disheartening. Yet, is the alternative not to have them, because someone might miss them? Come now, that is not practical. Brings to mind that quote, which I cannot remember exactly, along the lines of... you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time.

Perhaps some of the bigger events could be done twice? I do not know what the solution is. I know that they have tried to do them when alot of people are on. Perhaps, some thought should be given to doing some events when few are on.

Mainly the reason I am posting is to say that, in my opinon, Omni is wondrous. :P He has done an outstanding job. Thank you Omni. "Towering genius disdains a beaten path. It seeks regions hitherto unexplored. " Abraham Lincoln

One more note: to those that complain that Darge always wins! So go beat him? Stop whining, he wins cuz he is that knowledgeable about Drakkar. He pays to play same as you. I congratulate you Darge on every win you have, you deserve them, after all everyone else had the same opportunity.

<cries cuz she missed out on the Unicorn Hair strung bow, The Cupid Bow Event, also emailed out .. but I stayed up too late and missed it in full knowledge that I would miss it, I can not be here for every event. I am happy for those that win.>

srflynn64

Post by srflynn64 »

The biggest problem with events for anyone that is not in the EST zone is that when a RANDOM event is run on the spur of the moment.

These are mostly always run at a time where it suits people in the US.

Its great seeing that there are loads of events but in the past i have always made comment about how things get run on the EST time zoning.

The pre planned events that OMNI does is great for no matter where you are in the world as they are a weekends and at a tme where its easy to arrange things about, even if it means a event is at 9pm EST fri or sat we in the uk can attend being 2am knowing we dont have work next day.

flisk
Admin
Admin
Title: King of Drakkar

Post by flisk »

srflynn64 wrote:The biggest problem with events for anyone that is not in the EST zone is that when a RANDOM event is run on the spur of the moment.

These are mostly always run at a time where it suits people in the US.

Its great seeing that there are loads of events but in the past i have always made comment about how things get run on the EST time zoning.

The pre planned events that OMNI does is great for no matter where you are in the world as they are a weekends and at a tme where its easy to arrange things about, even if it means a event is at 9pm EST fri or sat we in the uk can attend being 2am knowing we dont have work next day.
This is the main reason I do all of my events at random times.
I've run them in my own time zone (Central) at noon, at midnight, at 5 PM, at 2 AM, at 9 AM, at 7 PM, very random times.
Using UK (London) as by base the above times started (central) would have been the following times for London:
5PM my time = 11:00 PM London
2AM my time = 8:00 AM London
9AM my time = 3:00 PM London
7PM my time = 1:00 AM London

Using the same times set for Australia (Melbourne) the times would be:
5PM my time = 10:00 AM Melbourne, Australia
2AM my time = 7:00 PM Melbourne, Australia
9AM my time = 2:00 AM Melbourne, Australia
7PM my time = 12 Noon Melbourne, Australia

Those all seem to be good times for those time zones to me. You have to remember I do my events when "I" have the moment to do them, and they are usually done on the spur of the moment. They are little "rewards" for the players that happen to be on at the time that I run them. And do keep in mind that not all players that are on actually participate in those events.

Those 4 times are just some random times that I picked from some of the events that I did. There are others that I did not note here in this post.

What I can tell you is that as more time goes by there will be more events and as more events happen more chances will be had to participate.

Don't get discouraged if you miss an event. There will ALWAYS be another event around the corner.

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

There have been several events that have happened while I am on at 12 or 2 AM in the morning. Guess what time zone that I am in? EST. There are events that happen all the time, and they don't just benefit EST time players.

I've noticed a lot lately that events are being run when there are over 100 people on. The RiftLord event started at 10:00 EST with just little events of find Omni and bring a corpse to Omni, and the actual RiftLord started much later. We weren't done til around 1 EST. There were over 40 something people that went to it, and over 100 were online. If you miss an event, it's just bad luck.