Results of Boot damage testing

Nork Forum
Skip

Results of Boot damage testing

Post by Skip »

Hi there -

I had always wondered if the different Nork / Aleria Boots did different damage, so I did some testing.

I tested no boots on, sharkie respirate boots, Alerian Sandals, Elephant boots, Dancer's, FireGiant green boots, Aleria Succor boots, blue Featherfall boots, Mountaineering boots, and Aleria Hippogriff boots.

Results: no discernible damage difference from "kick"-ing among the boots listed above.

~Buzz/Skip__KAM ~

Doro

Re: Results of Boot damage testing

Post by Doro »

That can't be right . . . can it?

All the different numbers and adds etc have no effect?
Does this mean all we have learnt has been for naught
OR
the formula being used is not taking the boot adds into account upon kicking.

Migam

Post by Migam »

At what skill level is this being tested at?
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Tirith
Title: The Raging Darge

Post by Tirith »

I am guessing skip used his maxed out barb to test this... Using a crit that owns an area already to test something from the area isnt going to give the best results... A maxed out crit will always get the very best out of any weapon... so all these nork boots show no difference... but when you use RG boots you see a big difference.. I am guessing if you take a maxxed out LS pally and damage test between plain ls, griffon ls, uther bs, and saber... you wont see much difference until you use a killer ls.

Doro

Post by Doro »

A small test with an assortment of boots with a skill 30 MA in Cob shows no discernable difference between any boot types when attacking another player.

lvl 50/30 MA attacking naked healer with 24 agil.

MA - 29 str 29 agil 11 attacks.

Skp's results confirmed.

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

Doro wrote:That can't be right . . . can it?

All the different numbers and adds etc have no effect?
Does this mean all we have learnt has been for naught
OR
the formula being used is not taking the boot adds into account upon kicking.
As far as I know, "adds" on an item act like a multiplier when it comes to weapon damage.

If this is accurate, and the base damage on a boot is say, 1d6, then the difference between a pair of 3/3 ma sandals and mountaineering boots could be as little as 3 damage on a given strike (assuming they have identical damage dice values). Even if you crunch the numbers on the hundreds of swings necessary to paint yourself a statistically accurate picture, the damage difference has still become 'negligible' with modern play damage and HP values.

More important on pre-NL boots are the properties they have, both those that can be sensed and those that can't. But then, that's not what this topic is about.
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Skip

Post by Skip »

Was testing against small yeti's on my 24-23 MA. Round after round of just Kick. Took 18 to 22 rounds to kill a small yeti regardless of which Nork boot I was wearing.

nunnbt473

Post by nunnbt473 »

So the bottom line is MA gaunts make a difference but boots don't play a factor in damage for all practical purposes right now? If its not using the boots is it using anything else like gauntlets for a damaging factor?
----------
Just say no to fate cards.

Chrystamyr

Post by Chrystamyr »

Anyone consider that the adds are "to hit" and not "to damage"? There is a difference there.

Skip

Post by Skip »

I was not testing the "to hit" or "to damage" on boots. Just the damage output from "nork" type of boots, and it appears there is NO difference in damage output from my testing using "kick".

I have not run any comparative tests on Cobrahn, NL, GDH, and BDC boots.

The test was just a way to answer a very old question that had been sitting in the back of my mind for over a dozen years - so I did the test, and posted my results and conclusion(s).