Mausoleums

Nork Forum
Pax

Replying to Topic 'Mausoleums'

Post by Pax »

CH/CC have in-game messages explaining to people the secrecy surrounding them. We try to enforce this secrecy (believe it or not) for the benefit of future/current players -- so that they just might have a chance at trying to figure things out for themselves; so they don't see the solutions posted on web sites; etc.

If there is a 'secret' solution to the 'Mausoleum' solution, the player(s) solving would be informed of it. If there isn't, then it would be left up to the player(s) to determine if the solution should be posted.

So to answer your question -- it depends on the quest and the player(s).

Thundar__RELM

Post by Thundar__RELM »

Which makes you think either people are solving it and being told to shut up and not post or the quest does nothing that we can figure out yet. Man it would be nice to know if this is even a quest.:)

Thundar__RELM

Ravaillac

Post by Ravaillac »

As far as I know, this quest is one of the oldest in the game and has never been solved since the game went public. I know that MANY things have been tried and have failed.
It's just too difficult to figure out what is part of the quest and what is not, because so many things have been added since the quest was put in, increasing the possibilities that seem like they could be viable solutions. And nobody playing now can remember back that far to know what was in the game back then that hasnt been added since.

Hope that makes some sense..was kinda rambling <G>

Emily

Post by Emily »

I think the biggest problem is that nobody realy knows if the quest itself was ever fully functional and no official voice will say even a "yes" or "no". It could just be fancy terrain hexxes and worthless scrolls whith a "planned future goal" that had never been realized.

Does the quest even work? Was it ever finished being developed? We don't know and if anybody does, they won't say...

Pax

Post by Pax »

You have to ask Brad on this one. I'd suggest sending him a private email, Emily, and asking him (if he wants to respond) if you could post his response publically.

i.e. I doubt he reads every message that gets posted here, and in case he misses it you could draw it to his eyes.

If he doesn't answer, then you know the answer.

No Sysop knows anything TRUELY about the Mausoleum quest other than what Brad has said or we have discovered (we have 0 more visibility to it than anyone else). It is a hard coded quest that Brad designed. I personally think thats awesome.

BTW -- Brad is VERY tapped right now getting some important things completed. Everything is prioritized and being addressed. I realize it sometimes isn't to everyone's satisfaction as to the speed (or result) of which things are dealt with, but such is Drakkar ;)

Ren

Post by Ren »

Trying to remember back because this was ancient history back on MSN. Does anyone remember a climbup that was along the permanet walls on the outside of Nork If I remember the area correctly it was along N or W side of Nork. Ravaillac's post on the lost CG area would fit well with this area as I remember it being trees and grass. I was very small at the time and remember little of this area? Does anyone else remember this area?
An optimist says: "The glass is half full"
The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty"
A Barbarian says: "Give me the freaking glass, or else!"

Emily

Post by Emily »

It was asked in chat several times, both after DZ, as well as in SAS shortly after the return of Soyer... Still, it was never answered and the subject avoided.

I'm not going to bug Brad about it, I'd rather see the launcher remain functional through pending changes... after that, maybe then somebody should ask again.

Drdrunk

Post by Drdrunk »

Originally posted by Stormwind

I don't know about uther's sword, I believe it is a broadsword and I do not believe broadswords are curved. The description at the altar (which is on the upper floor of the fate pools btw) talks of a CURVED sword being forged.. that means the SABER.
i finally got around to checking fatepools again, nowhere does it speak of the sword being curved.

"thousands of paintings detailing the creation of a large silver blade designed to combat a huge snow creature line the walls of this room. the room looks as if it was ransacked by a powerful force." uther's evil bs imo

Ravaillac

Post by Ravaillac »

"thousands of paintings detailing the creation of a large silver blade designed to combat a huge snow creature line the walls of this room. the room looks as if it was ransacked by a powerful force."

This is a description of the saber. Uther's broadsword is not silver, and wont hit the snowbeast. The saber is silver, and will hit the snowbeast.

I think the mausoleum quest pre-dates Frore, so I dont think it involves the saber.

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

The climb up was NE of nork town. It has since been removed as far as I can tell.

Hotice

Post by Hotice »

hmm... Excalli is a LARGE silver blade...

it's ransacked w/ EC, which can be a powerful force...
it can't hit Snowbeast by itself BUT... the EC sure can <G> ;)

as far i know, the sword in the discription is excalli and also to my knowledge the quest was disabled awhile ago.... if i heard right, some thief <G> tried to do it way back when and made the game crash hehe

Ravaillac

Post by Ravaillac »

"thousands of paintings detailing the creation of a large silver blade designed to combat a huge snow creature line the walls of this room. the room looks as if it was ransacked by a powerful force"

Come on hotice, I expect better than that from you. Excalli is not designed to combat a huge snow creature. That's the SABER.

Hotice

Post by Hotice »

you're right... it's NOT designed to hit snowbeast.... but the EC still goes off HITTING the snowbeast... so technically, if you have the skill and patience, a GS pally could solo snowbeast by the EC going off every swing :P

it's STILL a LARGE SILVER BLADE
w/ RANSACKING power :P

what more is there to it :)... excalli and nork were around before frore also (someone mentioned in earlier post)

so why wouldn't this make sense? yes it's unorthodox but who cares? if you can get it done, you can done, doesn't matter how :)

-"jus a lil' food for thought" ;) Hotice___RAGE

DukDog27

Post by DukDog27 »

Maybe we could get some brave (or foolish) soul to wander themselves into the lair of Uther adn maybe the others and see if the inscriptions on the walls there can shed any light on the subject. But, as you said before, this quest likely does outdate Frore, so it may only lead us down the wrong path. I shall return periodically to check on the progress of this quest until I get a sound internet connection. Keep working, guys. I think that i'll take a look at the old myth surrounding excallibur adn see if that will help any. Good luck everyone.
"With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow, I still have joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud."

-Confucius

purg

Post by purg »

Ok now i have been restuding the information of what I seen and heard so here is some stuff we can think about.

#1) The mausoleums quest was created before there was a Frore so more then likely the Uther sword/Sabre are not the swords. The sword from N-10 May not be the sword either, because we dont know if it was around when mausoleums quest was created or not.

#2)"T.K.W.H.S.T.L.W.A.K. Signed, L."

The King Without His Sword. The Land Without A King
- Excalibur

This was posted by Ravaillac.

#3)You can get to the center of hex of 2 of the 3 mausoleums. CG being the only one you cant. Is this important? i dont know. More then likely Yes it is.

#4) We know if you study the alter in Nork, its described as a boulder, and you can use Passwall on yourself, and stand where the alter is.

#5)Does this quest still work? we dont know, some people say yes, some people say no. Brad still hasnt given us an answer on it yet, so its a definite Maybe.

#6) *back to swords* We need to think about swords that were around during the time of the quest. Here are the only two i can think of off hand, Griffy, and Slicer Swords. Maybe there some more way back when the nork first started.

Thats about all i can think of for the moment.

Stormwind

Post by Stormwind »

Hmmm, the other climb up that I remember in nork was the old guild hall climb up. That has been replaced by the stairs to nork -3.5 however. That spot used to lead up to a forest like area where all the individual guildhalls were. There were bears and yetis and such wandering in there.

I went to the paladin mausoleum the other day with my baby pally. I seem to remember that it used to probe your mind. It did not do so. Anyone want to confirm that? Kinda hard sometimes when you're reaching back through a decade of memories <g>

As for old arthurian legend, there are several versions....

In some, the sword in the stone is NOT excalibur, but a symbol to identify the rightful king..no more. In those excalibur was gotten from the Lady of the Lake.

In others, excalibur IS the sword in the stone, but is returned to the lasdy in the lake when arthur dies.

I believe that in both however, the lady of the lake is the one who repairs excalibur after arthur breaks it in combat against lancelot.

I personally believe we are looking for 1 of 2 things. Either the True Excalibur, which will probably be a unique item of considerable power. we probably have to get it from the lady of the lake.

Or we are looking for a new belt/sash. It would be excalibur's sheath.. which according to legend prevented the wearer from suffering bleeding wounds.

As to solving it, I think you need to do something at each mausoleum, in a particular order, to be able to stand on the CG one. (obvious eh? <g>) question is what...

maybe i'll look for some climbing boots and take a look up there

-Stormwind
"Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you."

Ravaillac

Post by Ravaillac »

I would think you need to place something on each altar. Otherwise why have them there?

purg2

Post by purg2 »

ok to get the alter to Probe your mind you have to force walk the hex (that is what i call it at least) by hitting the UP arrow, then hitting enter while you are standing in front of it.

next, i dont think what we are looking for is anything new to the game. I think it has been here all along and we just havent realized it. If there was a lady of the lake, we would have found her by now. I also dont think there is a scabard. unless it is found down in the "Lair"? of this quest. I still think everything we are looking for is right here in front of us, its just so simple we are over looking it.

Acaciam

Post by Acaciam »

Has anyone tried placing the corresponding crystal from the uther quest on the alter? or standing on the alter with a crystal in hand? just a thought.
Communication End.

Roland

Post by Roland »

Ok, here's another thought, trying to keep in line with what was available at the time this question COULD'VE been made.
N-7 Slicer swords !
I believe slicer was in the game at that time, when excally wasn't in game.
Back then, they liked to make you walk on a blank hex holding something, to make something happen. Examples: grey tile in N-7 to get to N-8 door, grey hex in N-5 to get to reddragon lair, grey hex in N-2 to get to the lair there.
By the following examples, walking on a grey tile with a certain item on crit, seemed to be a method they liked to use ALOT back then. Are there any grey tiles we've written off as just plain, ordinary graphics, but which may serve a purpose, in the Nork area?
SirRoland,
Follower of The Old Code
"Call what you need of me. Ask what you will of me. My sword, my service are yours !"

Stormwind

Post by Stormwind »

Yep, I stand corrected. I tried to walk north at both the Nork, and pally maus (using keyboard commands) and got the mind probe both times.

The mind probe must be significant as well. Maybe I'll try a few more ideas....

-Stormwind
"Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you."

purg

Post by purg »

the only grey tile i can think of is the one in CG, cause you are unable to step on the hex infront of the Alter.

Frenzy

Post by Frenzy »

As I understand it, Moonboots were a random drop of the Cloud Giant. Could it be that you need to be wearing them to get to the alter? Just a thought.

Frenzy

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

I have a recollection that in the early days, the mausoleums existed before the existence of an Excalibur sword was common knowledge. I can recall spending quite a bit of time exchanging information with other players on the behaviour of the mausoleums, and trying various things in the CD castle.

I exclusively played a martialartist back then, so that my account for my lack of luck in solving the quest, if it ever worked. I recently spent some time at all the alters with my paladin, and the behaviour of those areas seems unchanged from what I recall from those early days.

My current feeling is that this was a quest that was never completed. Instead, the excally sword quest was 'simplified' to its current incarnation.

I have slain the CD a few times. Only thing I got it to drop is a featherfall scroll.

Ztinktoof
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard
Avatar (C) WIlliam Li: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/w/i/william/
KaM Guild Website: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ctanzio/kam.html

purg2

Post by purg2 »

Well that is the thing, Is the quest for the sword Excalli? if so why doesnt Brad just tell us that the quest is no longer a part of the game? Maybe Brad is still working on making it work? Maybe Brad has plans for it later on down the road? It could be that the coding for it was done by someone else and Brad has yet to decode if it is still a valid quest.

I dont know, There could be any number of unknown factors as to why we have yet to solve this quest. So ill just keep working on it.

BTW I have heard rumor that moonboots are a VERY rare drop from CG and Kaxx. Is this just a rumor? or is there any fact behind this? *i mean is this still a random drop or has this been stopped?* Cause I also heard it was a bug and has been stopped now. If it has been stopped has anyone heard if Brad will reintroduce them back into nork? Or if we will be finally able to bring the Cob boots back to nork?