More thief options

Place to discuss Thieves
Migam

More thief options

Post by Migam »

I loved playing my thief but it's now just recon, dp recovery, farmer. Backstabbing was fun but highend, the most you can hope for is the occasional triggered backstab from quirks.

This is about solo or thief in duo party... I'm sure a huge party with healers helps but that's not always an option and thieves is the class mostly likely to hunt alone for items:

1) Traditional backstab generally means death because even if I can hide with 1 hp at sk39, I'm sure gnome caves or sick caves will one-shot.
2) Thrown at sk35 is still kinda weak but then again, my base attacks stat is 12... 16 with laz boots/sash. Thrown is now ~1k-1.5k per throw.. yay?
3) Razorblades and Dozens have a long reuse... mind you, not the longest, but for melee tiers, too long and Dozens hits party so back to solo to use.
4) I have low hp. WIth Laz boots, I don't get the benefit of RG boots for +10 con, a tough choice to keep those lockered.
5) The last discipline we learn is at sk17 for liminv and a backstab boost. I've never heard of more beyond this until sk31. We're supposed to have ment/healer disciplines and we crapped out at 17?
6) I have to gear towards agility vs defense. I used to rely on imp BNR when I was 78/38 until I could bring out laz robes/sash/boots and cob agi ammy to gain 4 attacks and enough agi to cap. I mean, come on, Marton gives +1 to stats and I had to locker it for BNR?
7) I have no idea what Veil/Fog of Deceit actually do but not sure it's much.
8 ) All Echoes override all matching Tastes and Ancient Plague overrides both Disease tiers so maximum 3 tiers on any target. I imagine Rotting Fungus will do the same with Decay tiers.
9) Only poison causes target heart to go green. All I get is the same lame bs excuse that they didn't now a thief was there when an army MTs on my head and kills everything I was attacking. It's stupid to have to paint every target with poison just to stop this. Also, I end up tiering the tiered because I cannot tell what target has DoT when they have huge hp and there are many.
10) DoT still does not trigger enchanted drops yet I do get exp, skill and the scroll window shows the damage hitting. Yet it doesn't know I killed the enchanted crit for the drop?
11) If you use the poison disc as a small thief, it shows poison damage the round you cast it and never again. You see target die, splat, no gains.

(deleted) With all the IH, caya I have to carry cause of the large hp usage for tiers, what a pain.

What I am hoping for is some kinda help that's a version change in the future but not some new 100/70 ability.
- A shorter RB/12s reuse?
- Remove the onhex restriction of Quickshadow or at least allow it to backstab 3x3 of the 5x5 area? It's not like I'm going to hit every single target oncreen with 12 backstabs anyway since heck, I haven't even seen one double backstab from 1 double throw. Any zoo I can drag while seen and survive to do 12s with QS on is a zoo I don't have a use for.
- Give the Deceit tiers something with bang? Maybe an attack and agi boost to make up for having to gear weak to be unseen.
- Some kind of hide apart from the hide needed for backstab? Maybe a thief-only pot that gives an unbreakable hide for 100 rounds or more. You can drink, backstab like mad and not lose hide. That would be worth losing a few sack spots.
- Give Marton robe some more adds. I can only hope AA robes have stat adds otherwise, I'm stuck with 2 Laz robes til eternity.
- Force all poison, disease, decay, de-whatever based disciplines and tiers to paint the heart green.
- (deleted)
- Teleport with 1 tp per server somewhere in between sk17 and sk30, Some kinda poison cloud that does lots of poison damage.
- Fix enchanted drops to work with DoT
- I am waiting for crafting to be added to the game. I am hoping I can tailor gear towards the stats I need and not what the game metes out. If slith robe trade can look at class before crafting, why can't there be an NPC that for a onetime fee, changes the add to what I want? Maybe I'd prefer +10 agi over +10 con on RG boots as a better sacrifice over 2 or 3 agi from laz boots.

I'm not asking for everything, just something. Other classes need a 2nd look too.

EDIT: Took out suggestion to stack similar tiers. Using your best 3 does alot of damage; I was used to using 1 Taste and 1 Echo to conserve hp in sickcaves.
EDIT: Took out comment about 50 rounds brews.. when the hell did the start lasting 300 rounds?? :) Titanic attack brew made a difference on melee and now I can use agi for when I get stripped and Str for more PAPOW.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

nunnbt473

Re: More thief options

Post by nunnbt473 »

I would recommend either having the thief appear visible to players even while hidden and fading their box (or placing an icon over top of it) to make their presence known.

I too would like to see disease and venom and poison reveal their round based damages as I cant tell which is doing damage or how much realistically. Muchless how long each of these lasts (except poison thankfully).
----------
Just say no to fate cards.

Wolverine2

Post by Wolverine2 »

Uh thieves can be visible players at a certain high skill if they are in party... why bother having anyone else see you? Some/most thieves play them because they aren't heroic barbs. Generally they don't want to be bugged to go recover or be seen online. That's part of the game. Thieves are sleuths. If you're talking so other players in party can see you then you don't play a high thief yet.

Migam

Post by Migam »

Nothing came of my ideas so just point out 3 simple changes I'd like to see someday.

1) Please allow forming discs to borrow from hp when ep gear is worn and there isn't enough ep to form a discipline. If it borrows hp, then I expect no ment/healer skill will be given, fine. I use succor cloak and find myself unable to make a twig until I remove my m20 bracer to get rid of ep. Wouldn't mind if I could turn off the ep on bracer.

2) With full health, the ep regen and advanced ep regen quests work, giving +5 +16 +5 +21 ep. With <full health, it's +5 +5 +5 +5. You have to hold ep regen device for more but frankly, from 1 hp to Max hp, why shouldn't it be the same ep regen?

3) Hp regen and advanced hp regen quests ignores the 600 NL hp when in NL. Goes from +1 +16 +15 +16 hp regen to +1 every 3 rounds as soon as the NL hp are regenning; in fact, the last regen before this lands exactly on the end of the Max hp without NL hp (ex: 4000 + 600NLhp, have 3990, you get a +10 hp regen to 4000 then the old +1 every 3 round mambo. Here there is the hp refresh option in IH and food but why shouldn't it be the same hp regen from 1 hp to Max hp?
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder