Focus Parry

Place to discuss Paladins
tomodachi

Focus Parry

Post by tomodachi »

Hello folks,

Can you folks explain how Focus Parry works? I play mostly in crazy Cob (19/15+2) and I see a lot of misses but I am also getting hit very often when I turn on Focus Parry. From the few scattered guides/posts I have found I thought that FParry would be almost no chance of getting hit. I am not sure if it is a function of Cob/Crazy Cob, the fact that my skill is not a "natural" 16 or some other random thing that I am missing. Of course Focus Parry could just suck and I had my hopes too high.

Thanks in advance for the help...

Tomodachi

Migam

Re: Focus Parry

Post by Migam »

The Crazy scenarios let damage get past you as if there was no armor check. Weapon blocks, armor blocks, evades, deflects and yeah, parry, it's like they all stop working for some swings at you. This is why the melee damage in Crazy Cob (Ccob) is so brutal (can you say quaz?). All those swinging or throwing hit as if you were naked (and ppl used to be scared to run thru Cob in Nork gear!). I could be wrong but I could swear that energyshield still cuts the damage that gets thru on those (both formed and from gear). Either way, my smaller ones always wear anti-steve ammy to save my hp.

When there was a crazy NL, ppl said it was 5% of every swing at you, you got that raw hit. In a 4 crit zoo that swings 3 to 4 times a round each, 5% is like OUCH lol. Some still mumble that the 5% is still there after C-NL was stopped. Now, ppl saying it's any scenario running doubletime that does this cause you're exping/skilling faster and this is the balance for this. Heck, alt-2 I'm sure hits a little more often and harder than alt-1.

But the faster exp/skill plus I think Brad threw in double the normal gain, it's worth the pain. Make a quickdrink macro and be ready <snickers>.

Good to see ppl still playing even though the forums are semi-dead.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

tomodachi

Post by tomodachi »

Thanks for the reply Migam.

I am wearing BeetlePlate, 8/8 rings, Nin Helm, etc using Graagh Hally to give you an idea of current gear. I just went back to regular Cob and I still get hit frequently in Parry mode. The damage is much less than I take in Ccob but I had hoped that Parry mode would be a BIG decrease in hits taken.

Disappointing.

On the flip side, Focus Strike seems decent :)

Oh, and yes...I wear the Steve amulet. Never leave home without it ! Heh
Tomodachi

Migam

Post by Migam »

Parry blocks melee attacks but using another foci breaks parry and stops this blocking immediately.

Test it by parking someplace that can hit you through armor often in a large zoo unparried; stick with Aleria, Cob or alt1 Nork (no 5% auto-hit places). Make sure you turn off parry quirks if you got em. Check the screen for a flood of whatever. You'll see armor blocks or hits flood the screen.

Now parry. Watch for a change. It should be alot more weapon blocks and misses. Watch for 5 rounds, it should be mostly the same thing again and again. Try an attack focus like strike or blindstrike and look again. It should go back to normal right away.

Multistrike is kinda different in that it takes 1 or 2 rounds to break parry (if I recall right), maybe cause it hits for less damage (but it's still awesome as hell). Some just parry, MS MS MS, etc.

I can't recall if non-foci like attack, charge, etc break parry right away, in a few rounds or at all. It must break it or the game would be full of solo-playing pallies sideskilling high MA skill while parried with a weapon to sweep non-stop hit-free lol.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
---Pathfinder

tomodachi

Post by tomodachi »

Thanks for the info.

I am up to Multistrike now and loving the exp grinding I can do with it. I have not done a lot of testing to see what kind of skill losses I would take using just mulit. I tend to multi things down to 1 shot range and finish them off one by one with Strike.

Have you tested if Multi-strike kills skill gains like other classes AE abilities?

Tomodachi

Migam

Post by Migam »

When I tested, you can only gain from 1 kill per round from your kills. That's how it is for sweep, MS, fireball, PWD, etc. You still get all the exp from the multi-kills though.

How you are doing it is best, MS then attack for ks, one by one, making sure you don't damage the zoo to the point that they all run away at the same time ;)
---Pathfinder