User Created guide to paladins

Place to discuss Paladins
Eclipz

User Created guide to paladins

Post by Eclipz »

Welcome to the brotherhood of Paladin’s (Please read all the way through),

As I have yet to see any1 take the time to explain the class of a paladin for any possible newcomers; I would like to create and dedicate this “Read me” type guide on paladins to every veteran that once passed their knowledge of the class to me. I will discuss the class in general such as statistics, information that is helpful and what must be done to become a paladin then we shall discuss skills, weapons and some places for you to “Test Your Strength”.

First let us define what a paladin means in general and how to become a revered brother. A paladin is a Holy knight in which the gods of Drakkar imbue their courageous, kind, and honorable spirit deep within the heart of a paladin. We are a class to be reckoned with even though we do not do the damage a mentalist does, or have the Hit points or power a barbarian does; however, once the proper skill and character level is attained, we become almost untouchable by normal malee attacks. Paladins are all about defense, We live, breathe and die for it. We may take longer to kill a crit, then a barb or a ment does, but we will usually take less damage doing so. We also gain a higher base willpower once dedicated. Now let’s get into the first nitty gritty thing we all must do. Roll, roll, and roll some more.

Good starting stats for a paladin stand as thus:
Willpower = 17 or higher
Constitution = (not important, cheap to fix)
Strength = 14 or higher
Agility 13 or higher
Intelligence and wisdom? Meh who cares LOL
Charisma = 18
Luck 17 or 18 (Your choice)

Constitution = Does not matter at the point of rolling your character, it can be rectified with Minors or Majors (Blue pots with red circles); however if is very important to have an 18 in con before resting as this will grant you more hp per rest
Strength= This stat determines how much damage is done per swing and how much treasure can be carried without becoming encumbered. (Also taken into consideration when computing a rest [Rumor= Does seem to, but can not be sure])
Agility= Determines evasion rate (How often you get hit)
Intelligence and Wisdom are not important to a paladin can be raised with spare pots if you like but not a life altering statistic for us.
Now for the big 3 in which I was told is a must to get 18’s in all when rolling a character.
Willpower = Determines the resist rate and length of spells against a paladin or any character such as Stun, Charm, and even combat stuns. Willpower pots are rather rare
Charisma = Determines your sale prices to vendors and how much items will cost in game Ex: Hit Points from the norkish HP doctor. (Quest for a charisma bottle)
Luck = (A lot of guess work here) Determines chances of finding rare/random loot, calculated with Str and con when resting, (believe there is a quest for a luck bottle)
Last edited by Eclipz on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eclipz

Re: User Created guide to paladins

Post by Eclipz »

Certain races will only give certain statistics, Some can gain more of one stat, while others go down. But that is the point to good strategy and balance, Give and Take. One race can get all 18’s in all stats, thee City Deweller, but it will take awhile. The best advice I can give is to try to get 18 in luck, char, and will. The rest can and will be fixed at some point or another; however you can keep hitting that “ReRoll” button all you like and hope your luck prevails for all 18’s.
When you first enter this game, you will see a door to the west, upon setting foot through it you enter into our magical community. Each Golden tile that lay before you contains some of the most helpful beginner advice anyone could give, so please, take your time and read each one. As you advance through this new world (The first few floors) you will learn about succor twigs, banks, Lockers, how to “Search” and get your treasure “Loot”, and healing bottles. Soon you will reach a floor containing 5 trainers; each trainer here believes their training is more superior then the rest, so keep in mind once a decision is made you must ether stick with it or reroll so to speak, here you will choose to become a "Fighter" untill your 8th experience level. To become a paladin one must first prove their worth by attaining the 8th level killing in the nork dungeons while keeping their alignment at good with good tendencies. Then we must embark on a journey to prove not only to ourselves but to our new teacher that we are “Dedicated”. To do this you will have to travel south from the norkish dungeons and south east of Yeti Island to visit our new mentor. Once properly introduced he will allow you to dedicate to this most sacred of brotherhoods.

Now just to keep your excitement up I will list the Skill levels it takes to obtain some of the Paladins “Foci” and give you a goal to set out for. We shall also discuss Specializing in a weapon class.

15 Charge (not a Focus)
17 Focus Parry (Give the Paladin a chance to deflect all incoming blows for 4 rounds)
18 Focus Strike (An attack that does more damage then the basic attack but does not have a charge effect)
19 Focus Blindstrike (Even when a paladin can not see, He/She is still deadly. This focus allows you to hit one Crit on hex even if you are blinded. Be careful Though, You can also hit friendly characters)
20 Focus Multistrike (Hits Multiple crits on hex, Even if you are blind, and like blindstrike you are able to hit friendly crits)
21 Focus Boost (Gives a temporary Stat boost to Strength and Agility, Using this foci will stun you for several rounds [Remember the Give and Take part?])
Thruststrike (Charge type attack; However it does not go the distance and until recently was kind of broke)*Thanks brad*
22 Focus Powerstrike (Harder hitting attack, from this point on you will usually only use this attack.)
23 Focus Defend (In my opinion this one if kind of useless, supposedly defends a target. However I have been told it only grants Armor Class for a short amount of time)
24. Focus SuperBoost (Another stat boosting focus, Stuns longer however)
25 Focus Armorstrike (This was a good idea.. 2 swings per attack, Damages
Last edited by Eclipz on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eclipz

Post by Eclipz »

Armor)
26 Focus UltraBoost (Yet another stat booster)
27 Focus Maxstrike (Just an Awesome idea here, 2 swings per attack, Does the maximum amount of damage the weapon is capable of.)
28 Focus Disarm (Allows a paladin to remove the Enemies weapon for a short period of time)
Focus HealingTouch (Allows the paladin to heal him or herself for up to 1000 hit points.)
29 Focus Pierce (Hearsay here, One awe-inspiring attack that can not be blocked, or parried. Also does damage to gear?(Someone confirm that one?)

WOW look at your fun little goals to aspire to huh? Now let’s take a quick look at weapon Specialization. As a paladin we are granted specializations, this allows us to use skills that are higher then our current skill level and allows us to hit harder. We will use Parry as a base skill starter which is obtained at skill 17. By this time you should be at least level 17 if not 18 and have your first weapon specialization. Which would make you a level 18 paladin with skill 17+1, the +1 means your can safely use the skill level 18 skill which is Focus Strike even though you are only skill 17. Can you use it effectively? That can be argued, but it is still useful.

Weapon? Ooo pretty and shiny!

Weapon choices are abundant; however you will have to choose wisely. Here I will list some of the more common paladin weapons.

Long Swords – (Broad swords fall under the LS skill)
Pros – Decent damage, ok block rate, Allows the paladin sufficient skill to use such weapons later on as the Sabre or Improved Sabre in nork and NL. Cob allows one to use the Improva Longsword. Saber is considered a Power Weapon. And you are able to effectively use a Shield while wielding a Long Sword.
Cons – Same hex damage, meaning you can only damage crits on hex unless using Charge or Focus Thruststrike. Saber damage can be kind of iffy, it will hit like a truck at times, and like a wet noodle other times.

Nork-
Griffy Longsword – Slicer – Saber – Store bought LS – Alerian Defense Sword
Cob -
Curvy, Forged, Improva

Great Sword –
Pros – Good damage, Good block rate, allows the paladin to use such weapons later on as the Club house sword, and Excalibur (used to drool over that sword) Has on-contact earthcrush.
Cons – Same hex damage as well. Unable to use a shield.
Nork -
Store bought, Slicer, Club house, Excalibur
Cob -
Store bought, Boris, Forged
Last edited by Eclipz on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eclipz

Post by Eclipz »

Polearm (Halberds) –
Pros – Good stable damage, Very good block rate, damage crits 1 hex away. Son og Graagh hally in cob.
Cons – Not a lot of variety – a hally is a hally is a hally, only thing that changes are the combat adds.

(That’s all for now as according to my word processor I have typed 4 pages already, more to come and I am sure many people will have information they will contribute, and dispute with me. I do hope this first bit has been of some help and please feel free to contact me in game with in questions you may have. My DZ is Eclipz)

Eclipz

Post by Eclipz »

Reserved

Eclipz

Post by Eclipz »

Reserved