Assesment of Riposte changes.

Place to discuss Barbarians
Quaternion

Assesment of Riposte changes.

Post by Quaternion »

It has been a while now since Riposte was 'fixed' and I was wondering, now that people have had time to get used to the changes, what the general opinion of the change is?

Personally I stopped paying for and growing a barb acc once the changes were made. I know there is more to barbs than their riposte ability but I felt that it no longer warranted a seperate acc. Other people I have spoken to still seem to dislike the change, but is this the general opinion?

Quaternion.

Bigdog3t

Re: Assesment of Riposte changes.

Post by Bigdog3t »

well my barb isn't huge by any means but good sized atleast. as for the riposte i have to say the change has slowed growing (AKA grinding) down back to the days of not having it. it was nice to be able to slowly take a few crits down at once. now the change is taking down a big target down faster but not much for taking down a bunch. so back to taking 1 crit down at a time :x making growing almost impossible again. i find it funny that every other class has an attack that will kill more than 1 crit at a time except barbs??? that don't make much sense to me that barbs are left out.

the Dog

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

You've got it backwards. The most recent change does allow barbs to take down multiple crits in a single round, something you couldn't do prior.

In fact, in terms of low level play, this is better overall because barbs tend to 1-2 round many crits and the prior code would make you 'waste' some of the triggered ripostes if you stand in a zoo.
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Skip

Post by Skip »

Current method of Riposte makes me jump around to archers and thrown weapon baddies --- kind of annoying.

~Buzz/Skip__KAM ~

darkaxe

Post by darkaxe »

well I have a lvl 75/35 barb and the change does make it harder for me in the gdh and bdc area. That said I do think the change has made it where you can lvl and skill you smaller crits a lot easier. Now I can stand pretty much anywhere but the high end area and have rip do all the work. I can go and stand in dornar, forgottens,and some mormar, and have them kill themselves with no button pushing or mouse clicking. I do think killing 1 crit faster does less harm to the game then parking your barb in a party and walking away and let rip do all the work. Personally I like it better the way it was before the change. Just my opinion but the chance of abuse is much great now because you don't even have to be near the computer to get exp or skill.

This is just my opinion and everyone know opinions vary. Besides I have parked my barb and I am now playing my Thief and MA. hehe

Darkaxe

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

darkaxe wrote:
Besides I have parked my barb and I am now playing my Thief and MA. hehe

Darkaxe
haha, I like this quote. =D

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

also, new riposte changes are nerfed to the point that when your target switches targets from you to someone else, seems to make you lose target on them.. makes it very difficult to finish killing one at a time. only benefit i can see of new change is some crits get dmg'd when not being targeted.. although this may seem delightful to non-barbs, when your potential critters wander out of view, they are no longer considered my zoo, and any old player can one shot them freely, for uber skill, without doing the work.

Hope this helps Brad in his assessment

Respectfully,

Moebius

Quaternion

Post by Quaternion »

I too find it strange in its current form, due to the retargeting for example, in mormar if in a zoo, one by one, each crit is taken down to last notch, at which point it stops attacking and you get no riposte. Another crit is targeted due to riposte eventually whole zoo is one notch without any riposte effects. Which is slow.

I would like to see it so that a small % of ripostes go to target. I think this percentage wouldn't have to be huge to make a difference in the above scenario.

Quaternion

Ingmar

Post by Ingmar »

yeah, i agree with quat. Seems fair to give at least some % back since it was turned back HUGELY

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

aye its frustrating 'creating' those runners, without the skill/exp for them.. by the time i get to kill them in the list, they are off screen..

but the nerf i was pointed out was the involuntary switching of targets.. when they target selects someone else than I to attack, my target moves to another critter

Doro

Post by Doro »

Having just started to assess riposte, I am finding it increasingly problematic too.
What was the original intent of this quirk (to keep agro or dish out additional random damage)?

Ever tried to attack a SD in ML with a blast hamer?
Really odd effects due to attacking myself effectively, wouldn't be surprised if I ended up riposting myself - either way I loose target everytime.

I haven't looked yet, but it seems to cause more gameplay problems than benefits - I hope we can turn it off with a toggle!

ho

Haitklon
Title: A Possessed Axe

Post by Haitklon »

Bouncing around get's pretty annoying, i'm not sure if it actually changes targets though. Just makes your crit hop to the other hex, at any rate I like the idea.