Barb weapon choice

Place to discuss Barbarians
Migam

Barb weapon choice

Post by Migam »

I've seen many opinions in forums and dz about the best weapon choice for a barb.

These factors affected my choices.

1) I do not want a barb that uses ma, dagger, staff, thrown, ss, hally, bow.

2) I saw a debate where one person said an LS barb did much better blocking than a mace barb during a cavebear lair hunt; both had shields. So I made an LS barb on main acct.

3) The other person in the debate refuted this, saying a mace barb gets the extra +10 str/agi from killer mace (double if holding two) and he didn't believe a mace barb died alot more than the LS barb so I made a Mace barb on alt acct.

3) I see that GK2 rarely spawns with a barb-only GS so you would think this is a viable barb choice if it was coded as such. GS "should" be a step below the non-beltable hally classThe mace barb skilled up GS skill.

4) There is no good axe that is killer-class (except for a onetime event one I think). I wish for the umpteenth time there was a killer axe in game.

5) I read a post that says that a triple-specc'ed barb didn't fumble until he selected another weapon of equal skill but unspecced (so in essence 3 skills less).

6) I wonder if it's better to spread the specs (in case of helping with fumbles) as I have heard also that later on, the adds from specs are insignificant damage-wise. It will slow my skilling and block less but if they are near useless at sk35+, I don't care.

7) Yes, I am aware that killer GS doesn't have the stat adds but does it have something else hidden?

Based on all the above, I am hard-pressed to decide if I should triple-spec the alt barb to gs or to mace or split between them in case any amount of spec helps against fumbles.

I am interested solely in replies from experienced endgame barbs as that is what my goals involve. I'm not caring which is better in Nork or Cob; I'm thinking NL+ and the weapons currently in place. If you have tests that prove that any of the above isn't true, I'd like to know.

Reminder: I am looking to make a choice for my barb; not making a statement of fact cause I frankly don't know what is true, what is proven and what is inflated opionion. This is the first time I've had barbs that I didn't rage-RR as I did 4 times before and I'm actually enjoying it.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Migam

Re: Barb weapon choice

Post by Migam »

Well lol, thanks for all the overwhelming feedback!

I'll just grow both weapon classes :P
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
---Pathfinder

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

I would assume the lack of feedback is due to end game being boring as crap. This is first time I've been bored enough at work in six months to even log into the forums.

For weapon choice end game, it all comes down to what you think you are going to be doing. As a LS barb, I have always been the main bait for every lair but AA. Weapon and Shield is pretty good at survivability, and doesn't give up much damage. Speaking of damage, end game between different killers is really moot. Hally might hit a little harder, but when you're all doing 20kish, what's the difference of 500 or 1k here or there. I always thought LS was the perfect mix of hitting, defense, and damage.

I think the stats on mace vs other one-hand weapon is pretty moot as well on barbs for the same reason as above. What really is the difference between 60 and 65 str?

Weapon and shield in mormar is unkillable, GS or hally is the same unless you're doing major zoo dragging.

Basically you can pick the setup you want, or expect to be most useful to your guild and go with it.

I've been LS since 1997 or so, and only saw a real difference when gk2 was implemented.

Cobra

Cyric

Post by Cyric »

I'll put my biases 2 cents in. Hally all the way!!! Actually at high-end I really doubt is makes a difference as Cobra says. You'll be a meat shield for all but AA. I know, my barb has been through it all. If you chose between hally, ls or gs you'll be fine. The best part, you can solo nearly everywhere so you don't have to keep staring at Jil all day. She finds is creepy.

Now, if there was a reason to come back.....
Cyric

--Coming to you live from the Supreme Throne

Tirith
Title: The Raging Darge

Post by Tirith »

Personally, i always disliked hally because it seemed to be the most popular choice.. My barb is LS and my pally is GS.. I dont think a barb can go wrong with either one..

Hiyas cobra and cyric, amen to a reason to come back.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Cyric wrote:Now, if there was a reason to come back.....

Amen to that, got a whole guild that stopped playing for the same reason - nothing to play for.

Edit: My barb is hally, and at 78/40 I don't recall is making much difference.
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Migam

Post by Migam »

Thx for the replies. I too avoided hally because it's "the" barb weapon of choice and overused imo. At least I've narrowed this down to GS and maybe sideskill LS for shield use.

If +10 str from each killer mace doesn't mean squat in endgame, I'd rather not use it. It's prob not as huge a difference as killer ss/mace are to a thief.
---Pathfinder

Sixgun

Post by Sixgun »

Hi guys.

could anyone tip me off as to the future of my throwing barb?

so far i am very happy with it. I hit very hard for my level (1000-2000) at lvl 20, have nice range to ease hunting, and can use my titan shield for extra hp and more buffer for autobalms.

but im not sure what will happen once i leave cobrahn and head to NL. im activated for that account so eventually i will be there.

I havent used any specializations yet so its an open playing field. I have to admit i am partial to 1 handed weapons , i like using a shield in drakkar , survivability means everything to me. Also using toys may as well count for survivability, less mistakes, no losing a weapon in middle of a zoo... etc.

What are my viable options? It may make sense for me to go throwing/mace, and skill up both so as to get blocks while throwing with my hammer.

thanks for any and all input.

Thes

Post by Thes »

The end game weapons right now are LS, GS, Mace, Axe, Dagger(returning), Bow. GS hits hardest, everything else is fairly close except the dagger which is bottom damage. My barb is triple spec ls, had a shield while leveling and definitely made it easier. The next weapon you will use is a killer, and you will use it up until the end game weapons. You can have a dagger,ls,mace.

Throwing barbs are very similar to mace/ls, however you will have to skill both throwing and whatever weapon skill you are using to throw. Your damage will be slightly less as well as a general rule of thumb. But can continue throwing the entire game no problem. Youll eventually need to swap to a toy so you dont lose your weapon constantly. You can spec into dagger if you want to stay throwing. It will help slightly with weapon blocks. You can always change specializations once you are bigger.