Crashing Issues

Any tech issues can be posted here.
Irin

Crashing Issues

Post by Irin »

Hello,

I was hoping someone out there has experienced similar problems and can tell me how they fixed their crashing issues.

I am running on Windows 7 pro 64 bit SP1, quad core, 8 gb ram, ASUS 6670 video card.

The game immediately crashes me back to the lobby in the following situations, making it unplayable: If my hp change in any way, as soon as the red notification appears, a crash happens. I was able to avoid this by turning off H.U.D. > Health in preferences. If I click on any blue npc trainer to open their interface, the game crashes. Other vendors work fine, the bankers, the scroll/potion vendors, etc. all open their windows fine. I am sure there are more crash triggers, but those are the only two I have been able to pin down at this time.

I have tried running the game in every resolution possible. I have updated my video drivers to the latest version. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times from downloads in both IE and FF. I have run the game as Admin. I have checked and unchecked all of the other compatibility modes.

Irin

Re: Crashing Issues

Post by Irin »

I am also crashing when trying to access Brewing and Quirks. I also crash when I add Succor to my macro group and then hit ok to save it.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

delete all macros and drakkar.prm file, then re-open game.
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Irin

Post by Irin »

I deleted the drakkar.prm file and renamed one of the .mac files for a specific character. I tried to log in that character and it immediately crashes. Due to the instant crash, I have no way to change anything in game. Luckily I renamed the macro file instead of deleting it and was able to change it back to normal.

(Not directed at you Merlin) I really need a fix for this. I am unable to train any of my characters, learn any skills, spells, etc. as a result of one of the triggers for the crashes being clicking on a trainer.

Irin

Post by Irin »

This is getting ridiculous. I tried to start playing challenge nork today. I made a thief on my mentalists slot. After dedicating, I tried to change the macros and it crashed. So I tried to change the macro group, and the instant I click on a different macro choice from the skill list, it crashes. So I said whatever, I will just have to deal with having mentalist macros on my bar for now. I went to the vendor in the Steel Flower to set up a twig and the instant a succor scroll hit my toons hand, the game crashed. Now that I am holding the succor scroll, the game crashes immediately upon logging in.

I have tried everything I know of to get this to work. I have sent in emails to help@drakkarzone.com and the only advice I got from that avenue was "Try screen resolution" and "Also don't install under c:\program files". Both of those suggestions didnt fix anything.

If I cant even access the basic features, there is no point in me bothering to pay for next month's subscription. I would really like to continue playing, but without access to trainers, succor scrolls, etc and now not even being able to log in toon(s) that is becoming more and more unlikely.

Mars
Admin
Admin

Post by Mars »

Right now, we know of nothing to fix this, I believe the problem is local to your computer, but what exactly at this point I do not know

Irin

Post by Irin »

Yeah I am 100% sure its on my end since im sure there are plenty of people playing in Windows 7.

I was hoping someone could pin down the issue based on the triggers for the crashes. The common denominators are clicking on any of the trainer npcs and macros for non-innate disciplines. Succor is one of the triggers on all of my characters except my healer due to the need for a scroll or item to cast it. I have no problems with succor on my healers macro bar.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

It sounds like it could be a permission problem which is stopping the drakkar.exe writing to your drakkar.prm/mac files. To be fair the drakkar.exe doesnt handle exceptions very well and should probably be corrected there to help resolve future problems.

Please ensure that the drakkar folder is on a writeable partition of your drive. (not read only)

Please can you ensure that the user that you are playing drakkar on was the one who installed it.

Please also try running the application as administrator.

Also please ensure there are no third party applications running in the background which may be causing issues, zone alarm,intruder alert etc..

without installing third party debugging applications on your machine its going to be hard to pin point.

let me know how all of the above goes then I'll rack my brain to think of some more ideas :)

Irin

Post by Irin »

Thank you for your help Merlin. :)

1. Uninstalled from my C: drive and reinstalled on my D: drive. I was able to finally log in the stuck characters after doing this, but they were both immediately stuck again after I bought a succor scroll and attempted to cast it.

2. I am the only user on my computer.

3. No success.

4. My start up processes are: RealTek HD Audio Manager (sound card), Catalyst Control Center (my video card) and AMD Dual-Core Optimizer. I had Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager, AVG Internet Security, QuickTime, Steam and Microsoft Windows Operating Sidebar as well but disabled them per your suggestion. Still no luck.

The problems are all arising from the macros. It seems to crash the instant I lose the item that allows me to use an ability/spell on my macro bar. For example... I had succor on my macro bar. It is greyed out until I move a succor scroll into my hand. If I cast the spell, I crash. If I get rid of the scroll by selling it, dropping it, putting it in a bag or locker, I crash. So it seems to me, that the crashing is being caused when the macro loses its capability.

Irin

Post by Irin »

In the Windows 7 User Account Settings, under Change User Account Control Settings, I turned my settings down to "Never notify" so that I wouldnt be required to give permission each time I started up Drakkar. That didnt work either. Just letting you know what else I have tried at this point.

edit 1: I turned off the 3 remaining items I had in my start up list. I also turned off Adobe Acrobat Update Service, AVGIDSAgent (my anti-virus), AVG WatchDog, Bluetooth Support Service and Steam Client Service in the Services area of my system settings. Still crashing.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

try right click on Drakkar_lobby.exe > Run as Administrator

Alternatively please provide more information about the crash logs.

You can do this by:

Start > Quick Search > "Reliability" > Click on "View Reliability History"

you should see a graph time-line showing any exceptions that have occurred over the past.

Click on one of the recent (X)<Critical Events> icons

The table at the bottom should load with more information about events at that time, hopefully you should see something similar to "Drakkar.exe stopped responding and was closed"

Right click on the above and select 'Technical Details'

Copy and paste the details here.

Also look for anything else which is also causing problems at around a similar time, as this may not be all down to drakkar.

Irin

Post by Irin »

First, thank you for taking the time to try and help me with this problem Merlin. I really appreciate it.

I just tried again after a new install as admin, no luck.

I have had 36 critical events so far today while troubleshooting. All were with Drakkar. Nothing else. They are all pretty much the same as this:

Description
Faulting Application Path: D:\Games\DrakkarZone\Drakkar\drakkar.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: drakkar.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 4d7f6ea8
Fault Module Name: drakkar.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 4d7f6ea8
Exception Offset: 000b047f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

On 10/4: 15 critical events, all Drakkar.
On 10/3: 2 crit events, all Drakkar.
10/2: 7 events, all Drakkar.
10/1: 22 events, all Drakkar.
9/30: 12 events, all Drakkar.
9/29: 20 events, all Drakkar.

No other applications are showing up in the Reliability Monitor and Problem History section.

Irin

Post by Irin »

Now a new trigger for crashes has appeared. In challenge nork, my alt thief skilled up enough to get detect and sense. When I log in that thief, the game offers to add it to a group and that immediately causes a crash. I dont get to choose yes or no, its an immediate crash upon logging in. :( I tried removing the .mac file for that character, but it still crashed. After removing both the .mac and .ply file, it let me log back in without a crash. I chose no for adding those two spells to the macro groups. :p

Sorry for the continued posts in this thread. I am hoping all of this info somehow leads to a fix.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I've found a few referenced to 'BEX' type of errors and this is related to a Buffer Overflow Exception.

A post on a forum which described a fix for a similar problem was;

right click on my computer
go to properties
click on advanced system settings
under performance, click settings
click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
click Add, browse to the executable file for the program and add it.

##

Try the above and let me know if it has any impact.

Irin

Post by Irin »

IT WORKED! Thank you so much Merlin! You are a networking wizard! ;)

Preliminary testing with succor and the trainers show the crashing is gone.

Thank you so much for spending your time helping me out. Not alot of people would go out of their way to help someone they dont know with no reward.

I should have checked there thinking back on it, I had to do the same about 2 months ago for a computer game called Magic The Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Glad to be of assistance :)

Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Up for helping me now? I didn't seem to have any problems until my vista died here in China. Since then I had Chinese Windows 7 put on my laptop. Sometimes it runs great, but most of the time it freezes up, boots me out, won't let me back in for a long time, constantly nodes etc.... I don't seem to have any other issues besides Drakkar. I downloaded and installed Vista, but it doesn't seem to help. I tried to search that reliability thing you mentioned and it shows about 13 application failures which are all Drakkar.exe and it just says stopped working. I don't see a place that has details for it.

Any suggestions on ways for me to get this working or find out if it's my comp, connection, settings or what? Thanks in advance it's really getting annoying.

Freddie

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Hey freddie are you running 32 or 64bit windows 7? I'm running 64bit without an issue.

One thing ive noticed is that the old blit code in drakkar doesnt seem to like "odd" screen sizes.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Vista is plagued with problems, I advise switching to a more stable OS asap.

I've had no problems running Drak on Win7Prox64

I'll try and catch you in lobby for more details and maybe get team-viewer up and running in an attempt to help you

Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I'm on the 32 bit right now (Windows 7)

What size screen is odd and what should I try to run it on?

Maybe ill try to switch to the 64bit. I read something saying if I didn't have 4g ram that I shouldn't attempt the 64bit. I have 2g on this laptop. Is that true or should I go ahead and try to give 64bit a try?

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

you probably read that anything over 3.2gb is useless on 32bit OS :)

Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Any advice or suggestions? It's terrible I can't even do hunts without noding, freezing, crashing constantly. Drakkar was one of the few games that did run good for me here in China, but now it's not the case anymore. I went to the internet bar the other day that has super fast internet and it did the same thing. So I'm not sure what's up or what I can do, try, or change.

Freddie

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Are the crash's triggered by anything?

Clicking Macro?
Changing Alts?
Moving a Window?

Please detail your machine spec/os:

Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Dell laptop Inspiron E1705
Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit)
Service pack 1
2g ram
Intel core 2cpu T7200 @ 2.00GHZ 2.00GHZ
Nvidia geforce GO 7900 GS

Many things happen. I'm usually running multiple characters, but even today I was running one and within an hour I probably crashed 15 times at least. Sometimes I would log in move one hex and sit there unable to move do anything and then finally it would node me to lobby. Other times it will crash and the drakkar login window comes up, but you can't connect from there I have to close it and the lobby to try to get back in. Sometimes after crashing my character is stuck in the game and I keep getting the account active or host look up failed message. Other times when lagging I'll wait to see if I'm going to node out and I'll watch the mobs path away from me because I'm not there anymore, but then they come back to me and I don't node out.

Odd things I've noticed is my healer crashes about 10 times more than any other character I run. I usually have a few barbs and my healer. My healer is usually doing nothing but skilling ma or an alt skill while I run the barbs yet he nodes the most. The game does run ok at times, but it's usually not for too long. At other times I will mass node and then maybe unable to get on for 5-15 mins and my characters are usually standing in the game until they are killed and even after that. Mirc, everything else is just fine I've only had a problem with Drak.

Well let me know if there is anything else you need from me to try and help out. I'm about willing to try anything at this point.

Freddie