Player Discussion Thread

Any tech issues can be posted here.
Tirith
Title: The Raging Darge

Re: Player Discussion Thread

Post by Tirith »

While discussing things with another player.. I believe a good solution to slow down would be to lvl cap all areas in every part of the game.. put level caps on all gear in every land. Its absolutely rediculous that there are players under lvl 50 in mormar. Nobody under lvl 70 should be in sdc or bdc. All these areas should have lvl capped. People put lower levels there to leech them and skip the entire game.. It has made older areas obsolete and taken away the fun from the game.

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

Tirith wrote:While discussing things with another player.. I believe a good solution to slow down would be to lvl cap all areas in every part of the game.. put level caps on all gear in every land. Its absolutely rediculous that there are players under lvl 50 in mormar. Nobody under lvl 70 should be in sdc or bdc. All these areas should have lvl capped. People put lower levels there to leech them and skip the entire game.. It has made older areas obsolete and taken away the fun from the game.

Here is the thing NL is still in beta and is a one time fee.. Those for the most part are player that have made it.. If you want to keep it best leave it alone.. Just my 2 cents. No one would want something thay can not use. Would take years for recapture of money spent for devloping no incentive at all to do any more then you have. It would stall all progress that we have made in one stroke would kill it off. :cry:
The MA
DEATH IS SWEET

Tirith

Post by Tirith »

What are you talking about? Do you think it is ok for a level 25 player to leech in mormar 15 off of higher level players killing the creatures?

This is one of the largest problems ruining the game currently.

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

Here's the thing, it's not just mormar.

Let's say theoretically I wanted to burn a toon to lvl 25, how would I do it. Well, Id' get 4 accounts, one an MA, one the main crit I want to build, and 2 others where one of the toons on each has cobrahn access on a lvl 1, or 18, yada yada. I bring the lvl 1's to UC-5 with the crit I'm building to artificially lower the average party level, and the crit I'm building gets a lot more exp.

There's an inherent problem with the party system that should be fixed, not just scenario specific.
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Tirith

Post by Tirith »

I agree.. its not just mormar.. To fix this I would like to see level restrictions placed on all areas of each scenario. Because it happens everywhere.. even in nork.. I saw free accounts leeching in n-10 off a higher level player. Level restrictions in place could fix this and would force you to level in an area that is not above your level.. Also a fix to party system may also be in order. Feel free to disagree.

Migam

Post by Migam »

Tirith wrote:I agree.. its not just mormar.. To fix this I would like to see level restrictions placed on all areas of each scenario. Because it happens everywhere.. even in nork.. I saw free accounts leeching in n-10 off a higher level player. Level restrictions in place could fix this and would force you to level in an area that is not above your level.. Also a fix to party system may also be in order. Feel free to disagree.
Agreed
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Just a note, the party system already divies experiences and skill based on level diff.

IE it sums the levels, and gives you the ratio of your level to the total level.

Should i put a physical limit on it? I always wanted to encourage people to level with their friends.
( Its why i don't have a penalty on party member count )

( Sorry to jump in during the course of the discussion, i wanted to stay our till we had our list of questions, but i wanted to get some feedback on this )

chaos

Post by chaos »

for the nork/aleria discussion make more lairs like the dude acrross from hag in alt2 to where higher lv players cant do dmg to them and take off all lv restrictions some of them are pointless anyway

for the higher end nl and above when it came out there was 100 people that was able to join in now there might be 5 so i dont think you can say you shouldent have a lv 50 in momo the game is not what it use to be so dont dwell on the past i understand you all did it but face it it took you 15 years to get there and probelly 3 alone in nl

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

For keeping people in nork and cob longer and not in NL, make it so you have to complete the King's quest to get to cob, and put the portal to cob in that place. Make it so tiers don't work on those particular lairs, and have to be under lvl 50 to damage them.

Do the same thing for Cob to get to NL. Make it so you have to do the Conqueros quest, as with the above changes, it would make getting to NL tougher. I'd also make the lvl req for NL around 35. With the addition of being in cob longer, open up the old areas for skill and exp again. Take darkness off of skeleton leaders PLEASE! With the addition of darkness to the skeleton leaders, two of the best and most fun places for skill and exp were taken away. Not everyone likes UD for skill and exp, and if people are going to be in cob longer, need more than just one good area for them to grow in.

I understand that the above changes might not be possible unless there are a lot of new players. I personally remember the immense struggle it was to down those lairs the first time, and it really does take a lot of work, especially killing the last one.

NL starting areas need a total overhaul. NL is why people only know about leeching. Unless you're a ment or pally, you're set up to be a leech until lvl 55, unless you like killing giants. Once you get to DL and mormar, there are still classes that will be the leech. NL needs to be given a very hard look at making classes balanced. Why do ments rule NL until 55, and then become a leech? Why are healers always a leech? How come in nork and cob, all classes can solo effectively and kill in a timely fashion, but only a few in NL?

For fixing the xp/skill issue, why not use a hybrid of the old system? If someone is within X lvls (5 in nork, 10 in cob), make it so they gain skill and xp like the new system. If they are outside the range, it goes back to the old system, where the TOTAL was given out in a ratio based on your lvl to the highest lvl in the group. Instead of everyone getting around 100% like it is now, they would get a % of the mob, divided by the number of people. For example, km5 mino is 100k, old system, two people equal lvl would get 50k each, three people would get 33k each. Add on top of this the lvl ratio and it would quickly cut gains to nothing if grouping with people outside of your lvl limit.

In response to Brad, people grouping and hunting with each other is a very good thing, and should be encouraged, though not forced (NL and everything after). The issue is when the primals start powerleveling lvl 1s.

Cobra

Quaternion

Post by Quaternion »

I think many 'retroactive' changes to the exp system and lvl requirements are now a little late in the game. Personally it was one of the things that kept me active was that I could use the experience and knowledge gained from my first capped character to advance more rapidly on subsequent characters. I enjoyed this power leveling. What's more it seems a bit hypocritical to suddenly limit the ability to power level when so many of us have used this method.

This being said I do find it rather grinding when I see new players advance in a matter of months to the size that took me many years, however I wonder if this is just jealously on my part. I honestly can’t say whether or not I would have done the same had I the opportunity.

I have one friend who I helped level very quickly and he despite his rapid growth took his time to learn the quest in cobrahn and aleria. So it is also my opinion that power leveling doesn’t mean lacking in knowledge.

One idea that I have as a compromise on exp/items obtainable is to adjust the ‘leeching’ system. For example have it so that a player would have to commit certain contribution to a party in order to gain full exp or say wear a lair item obtained. For example you provide healing, pots, bait or dish out damage you get a party contribution point. If the sum of these points is sufficient you obtain the right to get a percentage of exp or a chance to tie an item from a lair drop.

Migam

Post by Migam »

Cobra wrote:For keeping people in nork and cob longer and not in NL, make it so you have to complete the King's quest to get to cob, and put the portal to cob in that place. Make it so tiers don't work on those particular lairs, and have to be under lvl 50 to damage them.

Do the same thing for Cob to get to NL. Make it so you have to do the Conqueros quest, as with the above changes, it would make getting to NL tougher. I'd also make the lvl req for NL around 35. With the addition of being in cob longer, open up the old areas for skill and exp again. Take darkness off of skeleton leaders PLEASE! With the addition of darkness to the skeleton leaders, two of the best and most fun places for skill and exp were taken away. Not everyone likes UD for skill and exp, and if people are going to be in cob longer, need more than just one good area for them to grow in.

I understand that the above changes might not be possible unless there are a lot of new players. I personally remember the immense struggle it was to down those lairs the first time, and it really does take a lot of work, especially killing the last one.

NL starting areas need a total overhaul. NL is why people only know about leeching. Unless you're a ment or pally, you're set up to be a leech until lvl 55, unless you like killing giants. Once you get to DL and mormar, there are still classes that will be the leech. NL needs to be given a very hard look at making classes balanced. Why do ments rule NL until 55, and then become a leech? Why are healers always a leech? How come in nork and cob, all classes can solo effectively and kill in a timely fashion, but only a few in NL?

For fixing the xp/skill issue, why not use a hybrid of the old system? If someone is within X lvls (5 in nork, 10 in cob), make it so they gain skill and xp like the new system. If they are outside the range, it goes back to the old system, where the TOTAL was given out in a ratio based on your lvl to the highest lvl in the group. Instead of everyone getting around 100% like it is now, they would get a % of the mob, divided by the number of people. For example, km5 mino is 100k, old system, two people equal lvl would get 50k each, three people would get 33k each. Add on top of this the lvl ratio and it would quickly cut gains to nothing if grouping with people outside of your lvl limit.

In response to Brad, people grouping and hunting with each other is a very good thing, and should be encouraged, though not forced (NL and everything after). The issue is when the primals start powerleveling lvl 1s.

Cobra

I like these ideas.

The nork lairs idea (ban tiers/sub 50 to damage) works as well. That won't prevent someone large wanting to help from buffing and protting the sub50 in need and they end up doing the lair themselves (solo with a guardian angel of sorts)

The quests you mention though, I think it's rare than someone wouldn't do them since one item from 1 is a prerequisite for the other and the benefits of both are enough that even large players utilize them.

The NL leech is hard to avoid unless you have someplace else to grow. I made a 2nd acct just to have support of a healer (apple saps) and FM (taxi) and ended up making them large. They are fun to play on their own too. The difference though is that I know how to use them vs the leech who can't even watch the game long enough to heal party. When exp was nerfed in NL pre-25, how many more stayed in Cob til 25? Many! If I had Cob areas where I could grow well, much more exp/skill gains and had an incentive besides the threat of a nerf, I would. Mormar is tedious. I still have MA, ment, barb class that are barely Cob sized that I would like to grow someday and I'd rather have a reason to stay in Aleria and Cob longer instead of the same old faction-quest-quest-pads-leech. Once 50, I will cheerfully do that then only making trips to NL for gear.

Stormwind had mentioned 10 levels range of party, I agree but with 20 levels due to NL but your idea of a range per scenario would be the best of both worlds. Maybe even include a flag in party window so that you take notice you might be out-of-range. Parties disband when you change scenario anyways so I'm sure it's just a matter of checking where you are when party create and party join are given.

Maybe a step further would be imposing level req for padding levels and scale it in blocks of 5 so that once you gain 5 levels on floors closer to the surface, you can pad the next 5 floors. I've heard players comment upon hearing I had a party of growing above m10 (ie: ingame above meaning m1 - m9) that that was no good. Why not? Why does everything have to be m16+? This party is smaller than recommended by Mormar standards but do I need to do 4 levels a day? No. If it takes me a week to do 3 levels, I'm ecstatic.

Instead of those trying to make this the haves vs the have nots class war, claiming the haves have made it so they want changes to stop the have nots, you cannot brand every large player as such; at least not the ones who really love the game. The changes I see made, the ones suggested especially the ones I have made will serve to limit the slots I plan to grow. I have less gear than the ones crying foul and much less help. I will lose out on easy exp/skill and gear with higher reqs and I'm okay with that because I want to regain the fun that was. I've played 8+ years and hope there is content for me to play another 8 more. Make these changes, expand the sub-NL scenarios (all of them), even throw in another scenario between Cob and NL besides the NL expansions and then we can see what happens.

Edited: typo

I really need to make smaller posts, had 8 heart attacks before I noticed them
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Omni
Admin
Admin

Post by Omni »

While it is not my intention to dismiss the concerns or opinions voiced in this thread, I must state that I personally am against any retroactive changes to existing game content unless a truly dire, tremendously game damaging problem has been identified. I tinkered with it once and it never works out as you might hope. This is just my opinion and I encourage the player community to continue voicing ideas and concerns regarding the topic of what would make Drakkar better.

I would prefer the available time of contributors to game content focus on adding new material, not changing old, established game processes. Add new quests with unique rewards (such as the Wacka quirk) to those scenarios players seem to bypass. Require the player to have completed existing quests in the game to begin the new quest and then build from there. It is better to encourage a certain method of play than to force it, whenever this is possible. This will also contribute to the solution of two problems with 1 effort, adding new content to 'older' scenarios and encouraging players to go through the game in the order the designers envisioned. I believe that players ultimately want choices and the ability to decide how they have their fun, so long as there is not a large negative impact to the health of the game as a whole.

Omni
Account and Billing issues: help@drakkarzone.com
E-mail: Omni.sysop@gmail.com
Twitter: @OmniSysop
http://www.facebook.com/omni.sysop
Send me Ideas, Suggestions, Bugs or Complaints!
Event Mailing list, send me an email with TELL ME OMNI in the subject!

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

Quaternion wrote:I think many 'retroactive' changes to the exp system and lvl requirements are now a little late in the game. Personally it was one of the things that kept me active was that I could use the experience and knowledge gained from my first capped character to advance more rapidly on subsequent characters. I enjoyed this power leveling. What's more it seems a bit hypocritical to suddenly limit the ability to power level when so many of us have used this method.

One idea that I have as a compromise on exp/items obtainable is to adjust the ‘leeching’ system. For example have it so that a player would have to commit certain contribution to a party in order to gain full exp or say wear a lair item obtained. For example you provide healing, pots, bait or dish out damage you get a party contribution point. If the sum of these points is sufficient you obtain the right to get a percentage of exp or a chance to tie an item from a lair drop.

Seems like the middle of the road here.. As for me I have taken a very long time to explore it all Martialarts came up solo the hard way I stayed skill and quirk locked for 2 years before I came to NL..

YES I then skilled in donar and grinded in mormar until a bud who I brought to the game helped me exp. He never put exp before skill helped me gain just enough to move skill forward.. And No it was not Quaternion once My MA made skill 34 I went from 65 to 70. Got NL armor did my own gdh on areas I could solo 3 people and me did nameless Lord small party once i did get the help got lunches done then medusa.. Food guardian is no joke but got it done Thanks to all those who helped me.. Norrinrad had extreme knowledge taught me a lot about the game.

I remember Asking Mazie to come back to the game talked to her a very long time she is a friend from old ien days. By this time I learned about BDC and what there is to get from each area wakka ect ect. When she came back she was 75/35 Skill locked because no one got her ink pot quest or helped her gather the items.. Or even told her about the quest might have been she was busy in real life and did not have the effort to put in. MA died 3 xs getting the items then got stoned 2xs.

After all that we both skilled together went to sdc got fragments got tanning done got our nugget.. Wyverns were to hard for us. Friends helped us there i would do anything that any of them asked its a thank you thing.. I agree with BRAD don’t kill the Party system at all its always been the goal to make parties work. I would however suggest not worrying about end gamers they wont be here no matter what changes you make in the game...
Last edited by Martialarts on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quaternion

Post by Quaternion »

I must state that I personally am against any retroactive changes to existing game content unless a truly dire, tremendously game damaging problem has been identified
add new quests with unique rewards (such as the Wacka quirk) to those scenarios players seem to bypass. Require the player to have completed existing quests in the game to begin the new quest and then build from there.
I whole hartidly agree with these statements. One problem that i would classify into the 'truly dire' category which has been mentioned by cobra is that of darkness due to skelleton leaders. As he said this has made some very good areas almost obselete.

Quaternion

hammerdat

Post by hammerdat »

Quaternion wrote:
I must state that I personally am against any retroactive changes to existing game content unless a truly dire, tremendously game damaging problem has been identified
add new quests with unique rewards (such as the Wacka quirk) to those scenarios players seem to bypass. Require the player to have completed existing quests in the game to begin the new quest and then build from there.
I whole hartidly agree with these statements. One problem that i would classify into the 'truly dire' category which has been mentioned by cobra is that of darkness due to skelleton leaders. As he said this has made some very good areas almost obselete.

Quaternion
i agree with the darkness i spent years in uppers and now it sucks sort it out

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

In relation to the upper keep the darkness isn't really the issue its just that the other npcs can not see un the dark so the zooage is nerfed.

Darkness encourages team play so that's not a really bad point but the lack of zoos make the area not worth playing. Any new areas need to be better designed from a game dynamics point of view instead of giving discs/abilities to npcs without thinking or testing the functionality of the change.
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

srflynn64

Post by srflynn64 »

I know this isnt summot a lot will think about but being in the UK the cost of playing drak is pretty costly coz of the conversion rates etc.

But pricing or packages could be sorted that would make it more viable for people in UK/EU can play. I know BRad sorted it years back so it was made easy for us non US could pay drak through paypal etc which is a great alt for anyone without a credit card. But to draw in new blood to the game its time to make a new price structure and maybe get a mailshot out to all previous members to get em back into game

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Some idea's I have previously sent to brad:

So in regard to the problems we have, its hard enough getting conversions to sign up and let alone pay, but the main obstacle is keeping them in the game/school/training area.

The Norken School is god damn awful; it used to work because people never knew any better (back in the 90's).

How abut putting something in a little like how the end of the nameless encounter functions, where Grain and Nameless spawn walk around a bit, and fill the scroll full of story line.

Could you not put some kind of NPC in the school like this? You could make him say 'hello follow me, pick this up, hit this, click here etc...'

Is there any way to add any sort of styling/formatting to the text in the scroll? Possible put his text in red to make it stand out?

You could have a NPC that the learners can follow around and learn the basics.

Another Idea would to be having video tutorials on-line showing, this is how to kill, this is how to use stairs this is how to work a door. People like interactivity and videos to show them things, because people are let’s face it, people are lazy.

This is kind of another wild/insane idea but how about this, at the moment we have Sysops and we have Players, there is nothing in between. How about having a type of player that has dedicated some time to tutorial/guide time. This could be a player who has a help icon instead of a sysop/dot next to their name. The newbie can pm the player when they are available to ask them questions or for assistance. You could need to specify the rules for this, what can be helped with etc.. Although I think you have pretty much sorted this by implementing level requirements. Basically if you can wear/use it then the helper/guide can 'help' you with obtaining this.

In return/or as an incentive for helping you KEEP the new players you could possible reward the guides/helpers with accelerated quirk gains or something that would not unbalance the game or loose you any revenue.(no freebies here I'm afraid)- Possibly award the helpers with the ability to learn the mend disc on their chosen helper class. As they’re probably going to be huge anyway and Mend wouldn’t be useful for them because of its little healing power, but would sufficient to keep a newbie alive in n-3. It might also be advisable to re-instate party gains throughout alt 1 and make it so there is no exp cut for the selected 'helpers/guides'

My point is people are online a lot and they are willing to help, but if no-one asks no-one will receive help.

You could even use a dedicated channel on Lobby for help/assistance where people could hang out. But anything you do here needs to be highlighted to the new guys at the very beginning, possible even before they receive their login details. On the registration page perhaps? Full colour screenshots etc... Possibly videos

The perception about the lack of an 'owner who gives a damn' I think is due largely to the lack of input on the forums. Even if you were not actually working/adding on anything even a post on the forums to say 'Hi guys I’m on vacation for two weeks, I'm leaving you with Mars! But look forward to XXXXXXXXXXXXX when I get back'.

I know you have probably already thought about it, if fallen Earth send out a mailing list would they let you include a drak banner on the bottom of the e-mail that could link straight to the homepage?

How about extending the 'free' scenario a little bit more. How about a onetime promotional code that can be entered on the account pay page to enable 4.95 silver plan for 3 months? They’d have to push hard to hit level 18 for cobrahn but they could at least explore some of aleria's content and this could possibly be enough to sink the hooks in a little deeper. Because at the moment you are asking people to part with hard earned cash for something they can’t see :) I'm not sure if this suggestion should come with the same ties that once you enter the code you cant revert back to free. You decide that one.
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

An absolute necessity in this process will be a new tutorial.

I'd love to set up a specific discussion on this issue. If we think "ground zero" start.. and think about how to do it..

I'd love to get omni's take on this..

Valora

Post by Valora »

Quaternion wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

===========

Concur with first quote. Retroactive fiddling isn't the way to fix anything. It's done gone, folks, and you can't shoot it down over Mormar. Pick it up now and make it better, starting at ground (beginner) level, so we can attract new players who just might stick around.

Concur conditionally with second quote. I like the idea of adding new quests, etc., but wonder if it would actually work to require players to complete--all?--existing quests to be enabled for beginning a new one. Not everybody can do all of the quests nor should they be forced to. One of the more attractive aspects of this game is the freedom it gives individual players to go and do pretty much as they please, and as their strengths and abilities allow.

srflynn64

Post by srflynn64 »

how about opening up cob to free :)

will give cob more use

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

There are CRAZY people here... I am proof of it! but lets not talk about it.

In reality to make any major changes could effectivly kill drak.. Thinking if ways to help make it better does not mean making sweeping changes. :|
The MA
DEATH IS SWEET

PossessedAxe

Post by PossessedAxe »

To help think about what can be done to enhance the playing experience of Kingdom of Drakkar, let's think about some things that in the past have proven very effective.

WORKED BEFORE

NEW POWERS
With the addition of tiers, the gameplay of Kingdom of Drakkar was revitalized and transformed into a much more dynamic combat system. More powerful abilities and interesting skills as we buy hours of hours of time into the game is very, very rewarding. Even additional 'power spells' obtained before tiers such as Energy Lance that required the player to complete said quest to learn new power added quite a bit of interest.

EVENTS
Sysop-run or even player-run events are, quite frankly, what make Kingdom of Drakkar... well... awesome. It's the only thing that keeps us coming back, the people, and the janky but quite intriguing happenings. Really, think about it, at what times have the online playerbase peaked more than during these special events? With the added idea by Omnificus that every player attending an event who spent their effort whacking away would be granted a token, however minor it may be, not only are these enjoyable, but rewarding... which brings us to the obvious,

RISK vs REWARD
Kingdom of Drakkar was born into a world of RPG's that really, really favored risk vs reward. You walk into the wrong gate, sorry buddy, ya dead. Your gear? Gold? Well, yeah.. that's on the ground.. and if you don't go get it back, well, someone else will. Sucks. But what it does do, is create the atmosphere that your character needs to be built up from the ground, that you need to essentially 'take care' of your character if you wish to continually advance and gain prowess. Look, it sucks to get eaten by the red dragon when you're just some level seven fighter and you're really not sure what the hell is going on, but two very important parts of advancing in the game come from such misfortune - 1.) you learn that red dragons are mean and you should be prepared before you attempt to combat one next time and 2.) after asking in chat for help, one or two people say "yeah we'll help you out bro" and you make a couple friends. Voila, our character and our player have advanced in our dangerous world.

LEECHING
Hate me for this all you want, but the truth is, you really can't, because more than likely (unless you're some ridiculous Ironman or one of the players who let everyone leech off of them) you have once found a powerful character who has traversed the realms and hoped that some of that power would rub off on you if you chilled with them for awhile. Now, in it's current incarnation leeching is probably dangerous, maybe creating illskilled players or creating characters that don't have the actual strength of a character that has chartered the realms, but perhaps there is something here. Some of my favorite times in Drakkar went like this - grind in timmy-2 for two days, make 45% of a skill level, start to get bored, and then Guillotine would say Pillars grind forming, be here for like six hours, join up, make the last 55% of my skill in less than three hours. Feels good man.

EQUIPMENT
Remember the feeling of getting your first slicer? When instead of having to attack a mob four times with your griffy longsword you tore them a new one? Yeah, that was a good one. So was getting your full plate and realizing that you were nearly impervious to damage within some areas you used to hunt with trouble. Got some buddies together and battled your way to getting your gear. Was pretty rad.

Alright, let's tie this together.

Gaining new skills and new techniques either in combat or out of combat adds immense change to a character. The difference from being a skill 3 martial artist and skill 8 martial artist, while perhaps only a few hours of experienced skilling, adds some cool layers to your crit. However, the difference from being a skill 3 paladin and a skill 14 paladin... well, you're still just doing the same old grind, all day long, and, it's boring. These days games are full of classes that the first twelve hours of playing your class you actually 'become' a paladin after that, however puny and weak you may be, your class starts to have some dimension. If you want to attract new players, GIVE THE CLASSES SOME DIMENSION.

When a player joins the ranks of Drakkar, one of the catch phrases is GM involvement. Well, it's true, Drakkar is a game where the sysops are really involved with the playerbase. THIS IS GOOD. This means we know who we are paying and we know that however long it may take, we'll probably get some return, and we also know that every year we play Drakkar we are not only investing our money, but investing our time in (however pseudo you like to consider them) friendships. I haven't played in a few months, but last time I logged on the Sysops were barely around. Look, I'll be frank. This game isn't going to resurface. But that's OKAY. I don't want it to resurface. This is 'my' game, this is the game that my friends would laugh at but I know that they have not the mental capacity to even attempt to see the beauty in Drakkar, and that makes me feel good. However! I still believe that the game needs to appeal to it's existing playerbase, and as such, I suggest something that has already been attempted, something that I thought was COOL. Create an advancing, maybe bi-monthly event that slowly reaches pinnacle before we go on to 'the next act.' Let's face it folks, Drakkar is basically dungeons and dragons visualized with custom classes etc etc. Cmon Sysops, write us a campaign and give us something we can run with, and not only let us combat as a whole against neat new challenges, but reward us as we go. You don't always have to create solid new content, because, no pun intended, I'm content as long as I know that I'm grinding all these damn goblins so when some big trucka comes up I can feel cool when I can actually hit him.

Now adays, instead of that 7th level fighter training a bit and getting a couple friends together to down the red dragon, he calls upon his buddy to come kill it in three rounds. Ya tried making bosses that could only be damaged by lowbies, ya tried doing all these tricky coding so players can't get to Uther's lair, well how about you 1.) advance the rate people gain in lower scenarios by an amount that makes it less painful, because let's face it all the hardcores are already maxed out. and 2.) nerf the bosses in the lower acts so that the dwindling playerbase of lowbies can actually defeat the lairs, so that the LOOL guild of a 16/12 paladin, 15/11 healer and 14/11 mentalist with their buddy who just mashes berserk key because his class is so painfully plain, can defeat the Basilisk with a MODERATE amount of risk due to the CRAPPY reward. Retune, even reinvent if you need to, make this stuff cooler and more doable with the groups that are now facing these challenges.

Alright guys. There are like 10 players who have small main crits these days and like 50 players (by 50 I mean 20 players who each run anywhere up to three accounts each just to complete the content). Yeah, obviously when a small crit has a problem or wants to hunt somewhere he's going to get actual gains he's gonna need help unless he has a very solid play group, which, not many people really have unless they have been here for a hundred years. So, instead of punishing him for leeching, how about a system is put in place so you CAN group with your 50/30 friend and not feel like you are breaking the game. Yeah, obviously gains need to be penalized in certain zones, but creating all these janky coding blocks like not being able to gain before 25 in NL is just making the game feel weird. We want to play the game and we are tired of playing alone. We want to play with our friends, and say our friends are huge crits, well, we want to be able to eventually hunt with them. Expecting us to solo-grind the game up to the cap is just stupid. Fix it.

Anyways, what the hell do I know I'm playing WoW now, just figured since I'll probably come back and screw around for a few months eventually (if I didn't trash my characters fating again before I quit out of want for some change that would spice things up).

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

PossessedAxe wrote:To help think about what can be done to enhance the playing experience of Kingdom of Drakkar, let's think about some things that in the past have proven very effective.

).
O like the friends thing great post tho.

Martialarts

Re: Discussion Thread

Post by Martialarts »

Valora wrote:Echo what ubersoldat said and also much of what Cobra said.

The endgamers are important, no doubt about it, but they are not the heart, soul, and very life of Drakkar. This lies with attracting newcomers, and you attract newcomers by making the low level areas of the game enticing to them. Ignoring them just makes them go away, with the result that the number of active players is dwindling by the day. Big PCs, players running multiple accounts of big PCs, do not equal a big player base.

99% of us have been here so long that Drak would not DIE we will not let it..