The Kingdom of Drakkar

The Kingdom of Drakkar
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:46 am 

The subject line has a question mark; perhaps they are working as intended. However, to the best of my knowledge, psi cutters cut 50% with the first item, and then 66%, 75%, 80%, etc, as other cutters are added. Direct protection is taken off first, then the cut % applied, and robes dont' stack with each other.

It's not working like that with the black dragon acid in Arbiter area in GDH2.

With no cutters or acid prot, I take 2213 (give or take a few points of hp regen) at level 75. This is consistent over multiple breaths.

I add the purple skull sash, which says it's a cutter; now I take 1750 damage. Hmmm, no 50% cut. That's about a 21% cut, give or take. So that's the first anomaly. Would think it should be more like 1100 damage.

I add the acid prot/psi cutter earring from BDC, and now I take 1450. So the acid prot is relatively weak, and the stack is almost imperceptible. If the acid prot is 200 points, then the cut is up to only 28% or thereabouts (with 2 cutters). If the acid prot is 100 points, then the cut is up to 33%. So this is the second anomaly.

Marton robe says it has both acid prot and psi cutting properties also. Adding that, I then take 700 damage from each breath. Since the robe has both properties, I have no idea what the direct acid prot is worth, but again, the %'s arent' adding up.

My expectations are that I'd take:

1106 (psi cutter sash)
664 (sash and earring, assuming 200 pts on earring)
378 (assuming 500 pts of acid prot on Marton)

instead of the

that I actually took.

So is something amiss here, or is this working as intended?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:35 am 

Title: The Raging Darge
I am not sure anything works as intended around here... Also if you have the bdc glaive... I think its intended purpose is as an off hand psicut item. Was told the psicut was fixed in hand held items.. Have not tested it myself.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:42 am 

Protection always gets taken off first. Then cutters are taken into account.

The formula for how cutters are calculated is roughly:

X/Y

X refers to the total number of cutters you are wearing (Only 1 cutter per type of slot counts), Y = X + 1

So therefore if you have a Nin helm, 2 lori robes, 2 psi cutter rings and moonies - 4/5's of the damage will be cut. The 2nd Lori robe is completely ignored as is the 2nd si cutter ring.

So if you were about to take 6000 points of damage, had the above gear and also 1k protection against the damage type, it would break out like this.

1. -1000 protection (5000 left)
2. 4/5's cutters (1000 left)
3. Saving Throws (Varies with the class, but typically if you save you will only take 500 dmg).

I think this is right, I'm sure Darge will correct me if I am off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:04 am 

Title: The Raging Storm
Psi cutters do normally cut under the formula # of psi cutters/1+# of psi cutters. There's also a cap on the amount that can be reduced though, regardless of number of cutters worn.

Quote:

The differences in the numbers are:

Base
Cap (roughly)
Psi Cutter Earring Acid Prot
Protection Cloak Acid Prot

It's worth mentioning that saving throws are a tricky business in damage reduction, because Paladins naturally get an extra one, and you get more than one at lvl 75, regardless of class.

Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:32 pm 

Darge wrote:
Psi cutters do normally cut under the formula # of psi cutters/1+# of psi cutters. There's also a cap on the amount that can be reduced though, regardless of number of cutters worn.

Quote:

The differences in the numbers are:

Base
Cap (roughly)
Psi Cutter Earring Acid Prot
Protection Cloak Acid Prot

It's worth mentioning that saving throws are a tricky business in damage reduction, because Paladins naturally get an extra one, and you get more than one at lvl 75, regardless of class.

Hmm, so if I'm reading this correctly, you're saying that regardless of the # of cutters, I'm not going to cut the base of 2213 farther than 1750? (Which means the earring cuts 300 and the robe 750.) Being a skeptic, I tested with 2 cutters and no direct prot...you're thoughts bear out. Still 1750, regardless of 1 cutter or 2. And that's because there is a max you can cut each disc with just psi cutters?

Is that cap specific to each disc? I.e., this cap appears to be about 500 points. (2213 to 1750) Will the cap against any disc then be 500 pts, or might it be different vs Acidrons acid, or NL's fire?

Thanks for the feedback.

Stormwind...yes...my understanding matched what you had listed there. You put it a bit more succinctly ;>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:36 pm 

Tirith wrote:
I am not sure anything works as intended around here... Also if you have the bdc glaive... I think its intended purpose is as an off hand psicut item. Was told the psicut was fixed in hand held items.. Have not tested it myself.

Tirith,

Glaive is working in main hand, anyway. I tested by itself, no other cutters or direct prot, and it cut the same as the purple sash.

Did not test in offhand, mind you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:58 pm 

Title: The Raging Storm
It's just a general cap. Logic would indicate it's in place so that you can't slap on a psi cutter and cut thousands of damage while the best direct prot from one item you could get is only in the hundreds.

Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl