Quirks, a thought . . .

Known Issues and Comments
Doro

Quirks, a thought . . .

Post by Doro »

I hear some players have gained up to or approaching 100 quirks.

I know I have 13, I know of another with 12.
Random is really random eh?

I am looking forward to long term members' rewards of quirks if some get 100 for a week of hunting, imagine how many long term players will get !!!

Or am I missing something?
ho

Tirith
Title: The Raging Darge

Replying to Topic 'Quirks, a thought . . .'

Post by Tirith »

It's quirky. And it is in a TEST PHASE, hence why only guild hall users are receiving them at the moment. So are you testing and reporting a problem with quirk gains, or are you just complaining again? If you are reporting a problem with quirk gains, perhaps more information is needed. IE (Where are you hunting at? How many hours are you hunting? What is your playing style?)

People with 100 quirk points are maybe hunting 10x more or 10x harder than you?

Migam

Post by Migam »

My pally has gotten 23 in about as many hours; my thief 3 in 3 hours as well. This is all in Cob UD. I move alot as I hunt, could it be that Brad has some "anti-quirking" code in that prevents or reduces quirk gain for those who are parking their crits in town to gain quirks (I named it quirking lol) and it's now affecting those standing in one spot that just stand still and heal/buff/prot? I'm not interested in getting UGH for my healer just to to test this.

This is a theory only; don't all of you come back screaming that you move, blah, blah, blah. If you don't and are getting shafted quirkwise, try moving a few hexes every so often and see. Yeah, people have gotten quirks selling loot, standing still, maybe this was after a period of active play and they were on the very edge of gain and it tripped the quirk-o-meter? Bah, what do I know.. Brad knows for sure.

Edited to <surprise> fix a typo
Last edited by Migam on Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Doro

Post by Doro »

I was not aware that random is related to how "hard" you hunt or how "long" you hunt, but I imagine that if a player is in game for more hours, then they would benefit more from random events.

You may wish to call it complaining that's not my choice.
I was hoping to raise the issue for general discussion.

No wonder folks are wary of posting anything by way of a topic for conversation and we wonder why the forums is not being used as much as it was before.

Nice and friendly is always preferable to agressive.
ho

Blondie79

Post by Blondie79 »

I agree with Doro's comment with regards to people being wary of posting. I for one do not post here a lot simply because no matter what the post is agression of some form is nearly always used.

Anyway back to the original post.

Quirk gains for me have not been what i expected them to be at all.

My Crit is a pally level 60+ (for the record)

Mormar : Spent several hours there gaining maybe 2 total quirk points
Forge: Few hours spent there gained around 3qp
Bog: This seems to be where the majority of my qp's come from unfortunatly for me i dont spend to much time there as little is gained exp wise gaining around 5 qp's
Cob: i managed to gain 1 qp from here in 4-5 hours.
Nork: havnt gained anything here but i didnt really expect to.

So for me Quirk point gains have been somewhat below what i expected them to be especially when i look around and hear people gaining more in one day than i have in a week. Yes there still in testing stage maybe they will change in the near future but as it stands now, random to me is closer to rare.

Not posting a complaint just some info as to what my qp gains are and maybe compare them to yours or others.
Last edited by Blondie79 on Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know it sounds like I'm in denial, but I'm not.

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

Qp per day of normal play: Anywhere from 5-15
Primary hunting zones: Mormar and Bog
Average rate per qp: 20-30 minutes in bog, 30-45 minutes in mormar

The attacks i use vary greatly, i use 6 of my foci regularly and 3 of my tiers constantly.

Those who wish to gain quirks fast should experiment with their hunting style and the areas they hunt, see what produces more quirk gains on average.

*Note: Normal play= Actively hunting with very few times stopping to do nothing.
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Doro

Post by Doro »

I don't feel qualified to comment on 1/20th of a quirk.

I chose a level restricted one assuming it would be a boost for someone at my level.
No noticable effect so I assume 20/20 of a quirk would still give me a "chance" of the quirk taking effect. How much of a chance is unknown until I have pruchased all 20 units.

I will leave the analysis to those that are able to purchase meaningful amounts of quirk.

What I will say is that as a healer I am sorely pressed to kill anything in DL so went for the most aggressive quirk I could find.
ho

Tirith
Title: The Raging Darge

Post by Tirith »

Nice feedback Blondie.

Doro, could you post your numbers here for the rest to compare?

Censorship blows.

Doro

Post by Doro »

After discussioins with one or two others it SEEMS to be averaging out at 1 QP per hour.

I hunt Cob with my lvl 55 healer for reasons of my own, gaining 1 QP per hour.

I hear 1 QP per hour being generated in Mormar too!

My play style is to hunt for a couple of hours and spend much of the rest of my evening chatting ho ho.

So those playing for 100 hours per week will gain 100 QP?
where I play for 13 hours since party fix and gain 13 QP.

I will leave the power playing to others and let them comment of quirk effects.

I'm just a plodder who gets there eventually long after everyone has gone home :)

If this is accelerated gains I'm in big trouble ho ho.
ho

Boramier

Post by Boramier »

I have done all my testing in Cob. I have changed my habits of hunting a good deal over the past few days.
I find the best way to gain quarks in Cob is to loot often, twig back to shop, sell, and then head back to hunting spot. (Never forgetting to pop of course.) I have gained 2 quarks in a hour using this method. Redundant actions work very well for me.
Last edited by Boramier on Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crusher

Post by Crusher »

Sounds like a barb friendly strategy. -.-
You'll never win... PLEAD INSANITY!

landlubber

Post by landlubber »

After recent changes of quirk gains, it seems that like everything else in Drakkar, you gain faster in a party. Movement isn't necessarily required either. Keep in mind there have been a lot of changes since implementation. After the most recent changes, I've gained quite a few points standing in one spot factioning others (6 in 2 hours with several people in the party). If I'm playing solo, I may gain 1 an hour, or none or two.

If 20 or so GH players want to party up and go do random tomfoolery to test quirk gains for an hour, I'm game.

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

I've gained about 70 quirks, and most have been from blood hunting to max my LS in Bog. I've gained probably around 10 in Mormar, and rest in Bog or on my way to and from Bog.

(This is a 65+ Pally hunting bog btw)
Last edited by Teh_Cheat on Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIN

Slan

Post by Slan »

OK, i said i would post some of this info in another thread but it seems this one is more active at the moment.

After hunting in several places in cob, nl, and nork, this is what i have found sofar.

At lvl 20/19, in nork i gain 2 every hour every where i go.
I also get 2 every hour in cob, no matter where i go.
Guess what?? In nl, doing forgs in a group, i get 2 an hour.

I do have some other interesting info to add to this.
My guild was doing psi tower one evening helping a guildmate grub. A level 55 barb was with us and in the 3 hours we were there, she gained 2 qps. i gained 6 qps. Now I havent figured out a way to test if this difference is because of size, skill, personality, or body odor. All I do know is she was killing more then I was and was relentless in her killing.

Hope this helps a little.

To specify, in 20/19 thief, i hunt in ud1-3, psi tower, timmy cave, pillars and uppers, under juntes, nork dungeons, nl forgs,
Last edited by Slan on Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

landlubbers point is important. Make sure your comparing quirk gains since the last version, when i fixed a lot of party/solo gain problems.

Good comments, I appreciate them all.

To help me sort through the info, telling me your class, level and hunting zone/scenario will be useful.

Thanks,
Brad

Migam

Post by Migam »

My 20/18/16+1 thief gained 3 qps in 3 hours Tuesday (after the fix?). Wednesday, he got 5 in 2 1/2 hours then 1 in one hour. This is hunting in UD2 and UD3. I generally loot much on thief to pay training. I was surprised as I was used to 1 per hour on pally (pre-fix). If movement is not a factor, I can't tell as my thief is in constant motion. 38/26+3 Pally was indeed MSing much but moving between 3 to 4 regen spots in ud3.

Hope this info helps.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Fix

Post by Fix »

It may be my imagination but it seems that the more quirk points you've earned the longer it takes to get them. It seems to take my 43/30 healer with 64 qp longer to gain one then my 38/26 thief with 12 qp

Fix

Hemi

Post by Hemi »

I hit a point at which I seemed to stop getting them so I spend them, and then it was normal again. Hard to tell when they are random. I do recall brad saying at one point that he would make a cap of 50 on unspent quirks to prevent hording and spending on new abilities as they're released. Maybe he slowed them down after 50 instead.
Last edited by Hemi on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doro

Post by Doro »

If this is a bug then let me know, but it seems quirk gains have doubled their rate for me today, not hunting any different from all last week or this.

Healer lvl 55 in Cob in party
ho

Volcom

Post by Volcom »

It's quirky. And it is in a TEST PHASE, hence why only guild hall users are receiving them at the moment. So are you testing and reporting a problem with quirk gains, or are you just complaining again? If you are reporting a problem with quirk gains, perhaps more information is needed. IE (Where are you hunting at? How many hours are you hunting? What is your playing style?)
hmm...tirith u have the 100+ points im guessing lol

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

And if he so does, can it be held against him that he worked for and received his reward?
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Doro

Post by Doro »

A little info . . .

Spontaneous Assault works in Cob (which suprises me)

I have managed to buy 4 of 20 and have only just now seen my first message in the text scroll.
Am getting something like 1 in a hundred boosted casts.
I an guessing 1 in 20 once I have purchased all ????
ho

Astra

Post by Astra »

I noticed the same thing with spontaneous assault. It seemed to work alot more often in nl then cobrahn for me.

Doro

Post by Doro »

Well it has been a while and quirk gains seem to have settled down to 1 QP per 45 mins of hunting in UD3.5 partied.

If this is accelerated gains, any idea what it will be like normally?

Any news of long term players one off quirk gains?

Nothing new to report here (just managed to buy my 6th Quirk, I have gained 60 QPs since the system started woohoo).

Sorry I can't feed back useful info to Brad as I don't have the quirks to test.
ho