Portals...

Fan Fiction about Drakkar
Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Portals...

Post by Darge »

...we all know of them. They serve as the links between the Realm of Nork, and the distant lands of Cobrahn and Aleria, or more commonly, as important gates of commerce between the provinces of Nork. But not every portal is a passageway to a distant land, some lead to places much closer, and more so than anyone realizes.

Years ago, now beyond the memory of most of Nork's current residents, a strange town appeared near the borders of Frore. This town, the shadow of Nork proper it seemed, fully materialized in less than a days time, burying both the great Fire Plains and the home of one of the Norken Guardian's under its weight. For years rumors swirled as to where the town had come from, who might be responsible, and why the denizens all appeared to be malevolent beyond belief. But eventually, like most things that remain out of sight, concern and speculation faded and the nature of Evil Nork's appearance lost importance.

This, as is true for any story worth telling, would not remain though. Recently, a new tear in space opened in the fabric of Frore, this one entirely unstable. Although those who neared it for the short time it remained met with varying results (most common among them death) a lone figure eventually emerged from the gap, the path behind him closing up.

The figure, a man who claimed to be the Norken Crier, was heavily scarred and bore the weight of many battles upon his shoulders. He brought news of another Nork, his Nork, one seemingly parallel to our own. The Crier spoke of his land, a terrible place torn by war and chaos, and although his telling of the geography of the land near mirrored our own, it was obvious that it was the dark to our light.

When brought before the King of Frore, the Crier's story continued to unfold.

According to the Crier, he was not the first to have crossed over from his world, and he was greatly surprised to find that our dark Nork had once resided in his world.

The Crier explained that in his world, the dungeons below suddenly rose up and overran the town one day; those who survived fled to Maeling, sealing the portal between the towns behind them. The new inhabitants of this Norken town were not content with being free from the dungeons though, and came to desire a new land to inhabit; a land where gold flowed. The thief lord Erodian soon bartered an assortment of magical items and wealth with the reclusive Chipuda (ultimately swayed by an artifact that allowed the user to view anyone they wished, no matter the distance), and the powerful mentalist devoted his work to the mass teleportation of an entire town. The resulting destruction that occurred from the teleportation process was such that even the Minotaur King was said to have felt the ground shake in his pit. Although Chipuda did in fact succeed in teleporting the town of Nork elsewhere, to another world in truth, the wake of the process brought forth black lightning from the sky that liquefied the stony ground and entirely sealed the dungeons below. As the fabric of existence continued to warp and fill in upon itself, the great comet that sometimes lit the sky was pulled from its usual path, plummeting down east of the city of Frore.

Despite his inability to return to the lands of Cobrahn while Lanapi still lived, and his possession of the artifact Erodian had bartered, the permanent sealing of the portal drove Chipuda's insanity and research to new heights. Once more he sealed himself within the caves north of Frore, and began researching a new way to reach his love, no matter the cost.

In the ruin of Chipuda's work, all was not quiet. The comet pulled down to Frore had allowed for the Minotaur King to escape his prison, and he destroyed both the Slith and those who had sealed him away as he rose up from his pit. Even further, Alderon, as the Minotaur King was known in that world, took the remaining fragments of the comet to the floating city of the storm giants, hidden far above in the clouds of Frore. Although the details of the arrangement were unknown to the Crier, somehow Alderon convinced the residents of the floating city to forge him powerful items from the comet pieces. With this, Alderon descended upon Frore, single handedly conquering the city, and bending the rampant evil of Nork to his rule. With the now fortified cities of Maeling and Volcano Town serving as the last bastions of resistance against Alderon, Nork had all but succumbed to despair.

The Crier continued his story, his mere presence in this Nork, the existence of our own Crier seeming to weaken his own...

"Although Alderon is undoubtedly the ruler of my Nork, he is not without opposition, from my comrades, as well as others. Breshard, though he had not been seen for some time when I crossed over, remained unaffected by Alderon's horde, and none who bear the Minotaur King's mark of servitude may pass the wards of his home. The dark twins wage constant war upon Alderon's followers, and us as well. I feel my existence in this world is eroding though, so please, listen closely. After Chipuda returned to his cavernous home, his research wholly focused on crossing over to our Cobrahn, tears in space began appearing outside of Frore, some eventually showing other places and worlds in themselves. One day, Chipuda finally made his move and tried to rip open a passageway directly to Cobrahn. A portal did indeed open that day, two in fact. The first closed quickly, and although we know not where it went, a monstrous black tendril stretched through and pulled Chipuda through before it passed. All that remained was the staff Chipuda had poured his teleportation magics into; taken by Alderon's general. The other portal, the one that I passed through, was different though. It phases into and out of existence, showing a random location in its surface upon each appearance. Others before passed through, but none have been heard back from. In my weakening state, I can only assume that the others before me met with similar results. The portal does not escape Alderon's notice, and his general seeks to use Chipuda's staff to control the tear. Alderon now seeks to expand his influence beyond my land, and has each appearance of the rip studied feverishly. I do not know if there is a way back to my world, but be sure that Alderon will eventually cross over to this land as I have, and bring with him death. If this Erodian you know is the same that crossed over from my world, he may yet still have some trinket to lead a brave few to my world, and bring back hope."

The Crier grew quiet after his story was finished and spoke no more; within two days he had faded from existence.

Another tear has not yet reappeared, but talk among adventurers to seek out a way over, for wealth or glory, has run rampant. Though searched for daily, the thief lord Erodian has not yet been seen. Even so, he cannot hide forever. The story of this other Nork has spread across the Norken provinces, and people talk in hushed whispers, as if fearing that if they speak the name of Alderon too loudly he might tear into the fabric of our world.

A crispness fills the air these days, as if a long storm is soon to come, and towards the mountains east of Frore, lightning flashes on the horizon...
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl