PortalX > Starlink

For things that have no home (Or non Drak-Related)
dragonmage
Title: Arg!

PortalX > Starlink

Post by dragonmage »

Well. Ill tell you why. The server Id like everyone to use (irc.portalx.org), has a bunch of really nice features, that Im sure we could make the most of, to make using irc a lot easier.
(You can get more info on these from The PortalX Site

* You can register your own nick. No longer necessary to have to be concerned with people impersonating you.
* The channel registration and configuration is very very customizable. (Ill describe it a bit more later)
* Five bots. Memoserv, Nickserv, Chanserv, Hostserv, and Botserv.
* Memoserv is a bot that allows you to send messages to offline people. When they logon, they will recieve your message. Pretty nifty.
* Nickserv is the bot that keeps your nick registered. He wont forget it until you tell him to, either, and only you can do it.
* Chanserv is the channel bot (wow, simple names much? :P)Ill give a brief synapsis of his features a bit later.
* Hostserv is a nifty bot. Itll activate a virtual host that is assigned to your nick. People will see your vhost address instead of your real IP address. Speaking of IPs. They are only findable by IRCops, and theres no worry about them giving your IP away.
* BotServ is the part of services that a service admin uses to make a bot that joins a channel.

Syntaxes for the bots, and what they do.
Nickserv:
/msg NickServ REGISTER password [email]
--This will register your nick. The email is an optional arg.
/msg NickServ IDENTIFY password
--If you need to sign on from another location, heres how nickserv will identify you. If you dont identify fast .. though .. he will change your nick to PXGuestxxx (xxx is a random number)
/msg NickServ DROP [nickname]
--This will kill your nickname from the database. Anyone is free to register that nick afterwards.
Chanserv:
/msg ChanServ REGISTER channel password description
--Just as a note, the password is NOT an actual needed password for getting into the channel. It is for accessing it, only the owner of the channel needs to worry about it. This will register the channel under your nick. (You need to have a registered nick first, though)
/msg ChanServ IDENTIFY channel password
--This will identify you as the owner. Most commands that require you to set something will need you to be identified as the owner, prior to using them.
/msg ChanServ DROP channel
--Kll the channel from the database. Just like nicks.
(For a full list of SET commands, visit The PortalX Site.)
/msg ChanServ SET channel option parameters
--parameters:

* founder - change the founder of the channel
* owner - change the owner of the channel
* desc - change the channel-list description of the channel
* peace - [on/off] make it so people can only kick people that are lower than them, if theyre a half-op, they cant kick an op, for example.
* xop - [on/off] change the user opping system. This is probably my favorite function. I wont go into tremendous detail, its explained better on the portalx site, anyway.

Memoserv:
/msg MemoServ SEND {nick | channel} memo-text
-- Send a memo to someone, online or off. If theyre offline, theyll get it when they come back online.
/msg MemoServ READ [channel] {num | list | LAST | NEW}
--Read the memos from the channel. can be a num, the whole list, the last one sent, or the newest one to you.
Hostserv:
/msg HostServ ON
--Activates the vhost for the current nick.

If you still arent convinced. We can get a DrakBot for our channels. He regulates the channel, and does many other neat things.

(The current channel I have set up is #draklobby)

dragonmage
Title: Arg!

Re: PortalX > Starlink

Post by dragonmage »

Ok, 46 views not a single reply. I realize most people are going to say that they're fine with starlink, but PortalX is simply better. Some replys would be nice to atleast let me know what you all think.

Also, no annoying mars bot on PortalX <EG>

Vampster
Title: LuckyReAction

Post by Vampster »

Well yes it would be simply better, if you can get atleast 7 other ppl to agree to switch over. i and 4 others will transfer also.

Martialarts

Post by Martialarts »

dragonmage wrote:Ok, 46 views not a single reply. I realize most people are going to say that they're fine with starlink, but PortalX is simply better. Some replys would be nice to atleast let me know what you all think.

Also, no annoying mars bot on PortalX <EG>
Well i went there saw it i dont know seems low body count im looking for one that we can use to get games in,

Volcom

Post by Volcom »

i am all for it myself