Console Gaming

For things that have no home (Or non Drak-Related)
Tnem
Title: Lord

Console Gaming

Post by Tnem »

What do you think about these consoles.

Wii
PS3
Xbox 360

And what order would you buy them in (if you had the money) and why.

Tnem
Last edited by Tnem on Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tnem
Wakka - "The moles are rejoicing in the victory". Damn those moles
Visit my website http://www.tnem.co.uk

flisk
Admin
Admin
Title: King of Drakkar

Replying to Topic 'Console Gaming'

Post by flisk »

xbox 360 - good solid system. lots of games.

ps3 - I heard today that while it goes on sale tomorrow (11/17/06) you will NOT (that's right (NOT) be able to play PS or PS2 games on it until about 6 to 8 months further down the road.

Wii - interested, but i think the novelty will wear off quickly.

The order I'd buy em:

Xbox360
Wii
ps3 (which up until today would have been 1st on my list as I have a PSP and understand that they can be connected with the psp acting as a "portable controller". But after looking at the price point, the lack of initial games, and that you can't play your ps2 or ps games on it, I ask myself, "what's the point? why not wait a year and get it when it's less expensive and more stable?".

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Replying to Topic 'C

Post by Darge »

Last edited by Darge on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

flisk
Admin
Admin

Post by flisk »

Actually my information came from the Associated Press's article from an Official Sony Press Release:

"Sony's PlayStation 3 game console, which went on sale in Japan over the weekend leading off a global launch, can't play some of the older games for the original PlayStation and the upgrade PlayStation 2, a company official said Tuesday.

Sony Corp. had billed PlayStation 3 as compatible with the previous PlayStation machines.

But Sony Computer Entertainment spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka said some of the 8,000 older games weren't working properly on PS3, making the wrong sounds or images, and some couldn't be played at all.

He declined to give a number for the games that weren't functioning, but he said the same problem is expected when the game console goes on sale in the U.S. Nov. 17. About 16,000 different games have been sold for the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 in North America."

That means that 1/2 of the games out there won't run or won't run properly.
And this was released on the day before the console was due to be sold, all the while they were claiming that it would be 100% backwords compatible.

You can read the full article here:

http://money.netscape.cnn.com/story.jsp ... tm&sc=1333

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

Ouch...
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Dragonslayer

Post by Dragonslayer »

Xbox 360, Halo 3 alone is enough reason, but xbox live makes for longer lasting games anyway.
Dragonslayer of PHNX

Valarc

Post by Valarc »

I've had a Wii since the week after thanksgiving - it is, by far, the best gaming console I've ever played. Over Christmas I spent a week visiting the family up in PA, and probably ten or fifteen people who would NEVER think about buying video games now plan to get a Wii. I spent literally hours playing wii sports bowling with family members ranging from 5 to 55 years old.

I actually logged into the forums today to see if any of the old drakkar gang were exchanging Wii friends codes - figured in a few months when online-capable games become available, playing online with some of the old crew would be fun.
Valarc___STORM, usually found in #storm on irc, and in the pillar room in cob

**Excerpt from an actual Lobby chat session**

chance: does valarc eva leave game
Brad: valarc is an NPC
Brad: didnt you know that?

Coolcow

Post by Coolcow »

Valarc! Long time no see. You will definitely find me online as soon as I can find a place selling the things.

Pepma

Post by Pepma »

I'll pm ya mine later when i'm not at work Valarc.

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

I own Pepma on Madden 07 on the Wii.
SIN

Dumar_enjoys_food
Title: Rocker of Faces

Re: Console Gaming

Post by Dumar_enjoys_food »

Wii -My Wii got old fairly quickly. Valarc has the right of it, you will spend hours playing Wii bowling... And then you'll put it away to play 360 or Drakkar. It seems like a novelty because it is, it's a gamecube where throwing the controller becomes an all to common event. I found I bought it for Zelda and never bothered to finish the game. The next game that was slated to come out that I was any way excited about was Super Smash brother Brawl, which is only now coming out. (Almost a year later) I sold it and used the funds to get a PSP. (I work security, so when I should be guarding junk I'm blowing junk up via game.) I had heard recently (rumor from friend) that the Wii was never meant to be the Nintendo next gen console. I heard it was a test system strictly to test the new control type with gamecube graphics; and that it caught on so well with test groups they polished it up and shipped it as the next gen system instead of putting further resources into things nobody cares about. (IE: Game, Graphics, and Online Play) The last starw for me is the lack of voice chat and the friend code thing. In an enviorment where X-Box 360 has an amazing online communityand PS3 a passing one there is no excuse for Nintendo's poor online performance. (Who needs GFX and Online play when you can bowl LIKE YOU WERE ACTUALLY BOWLIN!!!111(lame))
myspace.com/pessumdare

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

The Wii is still amazing.

I found mine within the second week they came out, and its been amazing ever since. I played Zelda: TP and beat that fairly quickly and it's one of my favorite games of all time. Madden 07 was amazingly fun to play and Call of Duty 3 was good when it came out. Wii Sports was fun. I bought Super Paper Mario which I thought was also good, never finished it, but I plan on it. Guitar Hero 3 was a lot of fun also. I bought Super Mario Galaxy last Christmas and it was also amazing. I beat in in a couple days just because I couldn't put it down. Just last week I bought SSBB, and it lived up to its name. I love playing online and the story mode was a lot of fun.

I have a 360 and I love my Wii a lot more. 360 is great and all, but the more fun games are on the Wii, and I'm very glad they didn't rush out games for people. They took their time and it paid off.

Edit - The Wii wasn't a test either, and it's not supposed to be like the 360 or the PS3, it's supposed to be the Wii. Completely different. Online in Brawl is awesome, hardly any lag at all. It's like you have your friends playing right next to you.

flisk
Admin
Admin

Post by flisk »

It's pretty interesting to see the comparison from 2006 to 2008 in console gaming.

Things for the PC don't seem to really change all that much, and I suppose for the most part over the past 2 years not much has really changed with the Consoles either, however...

I ended up selling my PSP, just found that it's not as fun as I thought it would be. The games that came out for it really were just watered down versions of the main console game.

Dunno, I guess I'm still an avid fan of PC games over Console Games.

Tnem

Post by Tnem »

I haved owned all the game boys back to the original, and they are all awesome. I also own a psp but it doesnt cut it, the ds is way more fun and it doesnt pretend to have good graphics like the psp does. I got a Wii the day before release and i still love to play it, still waiting for brawl to be released here (damn uk). But i found myself buying a 360 for those normal games like halo and bioshock that you just dont get on the wii. My sister owns the ps3, which is fun to play now and then but nothing like the wii or 360. Then there is pc gaming, which i like the best.

The problem these days is that a publisher will bring out <insert generic game name here> for all consoles. This is stupid as they all play different, the wii has the best control system, the 360 is the best generaly, and the ps3 well thats just no good. Generic games suck, its the ones that take advantage of the hardware that are the best.

flisk
Admin
Admin

Post by flisk »

I do have to admit that I am really thinking hard of getting a NDS. I like the logic type games, and of course all the neat zelda ones.

just gotta get some cashish together to get it and some games.

I could go the route of getting off of ebay but I hate getting a used system like that.
you never know if it's been "bricked" or not.

Tnem

Post by Tnem »

Get the nds lite, the original is a brick :(

flisk
Admin
Admin

Post by flisk »

how so?
what is the difference between them?

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

Mostly just the shape. The original DS that came out is a bit more bulky. The DS lite is more compact and stuff.

Dumar_enjoys_food
Title: Rocker of Faces

Post by Dumar_enjoys_food »

I had a DS but it broke, now I am in love with my PSP. *Shows the ring!* Were getting married!
myspace.com/pessumdare

Tnem

Post by Tnem »

Yeah the ds lite is aloe smaller and thus easier to play as you can hold it in one hand and use the stylus in the other.

BTW writing this on my new toy, the iCrap(iPod touch) which I hope to be writing a couple mini games for, when I get time :)
Tnem
Wakka - "The moles are rejoicing in the victory". Damn those moles
Visit my website http://www.tnem.co.uk