Drakkar On Vista

For things that have no home (Or non Drak-Related)
Tooey

Drakkar On Vista

Post by Tooey »

Havent seen any screenshots of Drakkar on the up comming Windows Vista so thought id chuck one in for good measure:

Happy Hunting All

Tooey of ASH

Dragonslayer

Replying to Topic 'Drakkar On Vista'

Post by Dragonslayer »

I'm still not sure if i'd like the 3d over the usual 2d.
vista is unusual...
Dragonslayer of PHNX

dragonmage
Title: Arg!

Post by dragonmage »

is the new vista gonna have to be 3d always?...that would get annoying
Koa/Padre/Driver/Beast

Tnem
Title: Lord

Post by Tnem »

Its only 3d like that when using the windows funtion key and tab to switch between programs as you would alt + tab

Tnem
Tnem
Wakka - "The moles are rejoicing in the victory". Damn those moles
Visit my website http://www.tnem.co.uk

Tooey

Post by Tooey »

Been asked by couple of people what i took the screen shot on,

Spec:
Pentium 4 630 3.2Ghz ?(To memory not on comp at mo)
1024 mb DDR2 Ram
80gb ATA 100 HD
256mb ATi X300 Graphics Card

Runs resonable just dont expect there to be lots of Drivers for your old XP compatible hardware.
From what i tried doesn't like any old drivers will update if i find a solution that works.

Tnem is right about the Screen Shot the official statment is basically they could do it in 3d but they wont due to overwhelming the user and alot of changes to currently used APIs.

This is just the Real Time Window Scrolling.

Hope This helps to anyone thinking about getting the Pre-Release. Also one thing Installer for Pre-Release is not very good so make sure your careful while installing

Tooey

sk8erFiziks

Post by sk8erFiziks »

where do you get the pre-release?

Anarion

Post by Anarion »

Last edited by Anarion on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sk8erFiziks

Post by sk8erFiziks »

thanks. only 26 hours to go... 10 hours after i started the download.

gotta love 256 K DSL.

Drewstr

Post by Drewstr »

Haha, I just ordered mine.. figured it was only 10$ and well uh.. being on dialup it would take much longer than 36 hours, haha
Auramancer
That WOLF is up to something SINister.

Pipes87

Post by Pipes87 »

Sk8er came to my house and finished the last 70% and it took 1 hr lmao
I went to his house and dl'd drakkar for him on his DSL...it took 1/2 an hour
Drakkar= 50mbs
Windows Vista= 3.8 Gigs
Cable owns
That is all
Last edited by Pipes87 on Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Idun_____FATE

Anarion

Post by Anarion »

I remember back (IEN days for a time reference) when I thought that DSL was inpressive, but then again I was online only using those free trials of AOL so I guess it is all perspective. But yes, all DSL's base are belong to cable.

Tooey

Post by Tooey »

Just to continue on this post a little more, Vista RC2 Has recently come out been using it for a while the setup is slightly more friendlier than old one its alot loss questioning (best memory was my documents asking if i wanted to open it :) ) 3d App Scrolling still used still looks swish not alot of front end things have changed other than the Side Bar is implemented as default.

A little pieved has a performance spec ananyliser on it and rates computer between 1 and 10 ignoring the fact i have Vista installed on a older hd (test hd) so have taken out of average my new comp only comes up with a 5.6 thats quite disappointing.

Spec:
Intel E6600 Duel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz
2gb DDR2 800mhz
1Gb XFX 7950GX2, PCI-E (x16), Extreme, Mem 1300 MHz, GPU 520 MHz
HD (Not Included since is on older one main is SATAII for info)

Ah well guess ill have to get a new one to be able to get 10/10 raiting <chuckles>

Tooey

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

I wouldnt expect 10/10 until you get a new "vista" video card. The new line of video cards coming out which have special features centered around how they treat video ram. There are also a couple of additional features in order to fully support directx 10 that the current video cards don't have.

Don't be fooled by the marketing terms "vista COMPLIANT" and "vista COMPATIBLE"

Tooey

Post by Tooey »

Yer the DX10 graphics card should be comming out soon if NVidia and ATI get there butts into gear but even so for what i consider to be quite a top end pc amusing to just hit just above average.

Im guessing to hit 10 u will need a quad core pc with 2+ gig mem over 1000mhz mem speed dx 10 overclocked graphics card.

But who knows Vista is a world of its own

Tooey

flisk
Admin
Admin
Title: King of Drakkar

Post by flisk »

My experience:

Two Discs, Install Disc 1 (Upgrade Assistant DVD).

I place the DVD into the drive and watch as the automations start to run. It goes through the steps scanning to make sure my computer is compatible. It's a brand new Dell, purchased less than 2 months ago. No new hardware has been installed since it's purchase.
The scan tells me that PCTrend Micro's software may have issues with Vista. Not a big deal, I have the install disc and checked out their website, that's an easy enough fix. The scan complete and tells me that there are no other issues, software or hardware, that would prevent me from installing the Upgrade. That the machine is compatible and ready. It then goes on to tell me that there are some files it needs to delete but that they will be reinstalled when Vista is installed. I continue, thinking to myself, Dell sold me the machine stating that it's Vista compatible, which is why I have this Vista Upgrade disc to begin with.

It then tells me to place the XP media center to vista express upgrade disc in.
I do so.

It goes thru a compatibility scan as well. Odd I though we just did that.
Low and behold there are 13 issues!

My sound card, 4 USB ports, etc.

It then tells me that I can continue with the upgrade, that these issues "may" get fixed once Vista is installed. I continue.

It then starts installing itself, but part of the way through I get a BLUE Screen that states there are compaitbility issues and the upgrade cannot continue.

At the bottom it tells me to restard the computer if this is the first time I've seen this BLUE Screen.

I do so.

when the computer restarts it takes me back into XP and a message pops up saying that there was an error with the windows upgrade and it could not be done.

Problem is: Remember back at the 1st disc when it deleted that files that it said Vista would re-install? Yeah, they never got reinstalled. They are all gone!

So in short, a product that Dell sold to me was sold under false pretenses. It's not Vista compatible, otherwise Vista would have been a sucessful install right? I could vertainly understand the issues if I had installed new hardware or software, but that has not happened. I specifically avoided installing anything of the sort so that I COULD install Vista. And now half of this computer no longer even works.

Of course I'll probably get flamed because on the Quick Card it states "Be sure to backup your data. Dell and Microsoft are not liable for any loss of data as a result of this upgrade."

What a crock of .

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

Originally posted by flisk
"Be sure to backup your data. Dell and Microsoft are not liable for any loss of data as a result of this upgrade."
I'm surprised it didn't also say... "Microsoft is not liable for releasing an inferior pile of crap. Thanks for the cash."
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

flisk
Admin
Admin
Title: King of Drakkar

Post by flisk »

haha no kidding.

I'll wait the year, or at least a good 6 months, and try the install again.

I now have everything restored (only took me 3 hours to do that!).

I hate computers.

Pepma

Post by Pepma »

I have Vista on a few computers here at work, and have had no issues with them at all. They run it well, and it's very very stable on them. If i have Aero turned on, one of them slows down some (its the uber graphical UI on it) because it doesn't have a non-onboard video card. The others do and they run like a champ. The machine's aren't brand-new either, they are mostly comprised of parts that are a year or more old.

Maybe you just had some bad luck. It runs very nicely for me, have had no real issues (other then Aero on that one computer).

Hulk

Replying to Topic 'D

Post by Hulk »

Just built my new PC yesterday and put Windows Vista Ultimate on it. Runs very well (if you have all the correct drivers). I like the active search feature on the Start menu. My PC has a 5.9 rating btw. Old PC died and built this one getting ready for UT2k7 (renamed to UT3 now). That game is going to be retarded on the ole PC. With a quad core processor and 2 Nvidia 8800 GTXs in SLi mode it will still struggle to run the game at full load.
Last edited by Hulk on Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosey

Post by Rosey »

Forget Vista! How about appleDrak!
RIP Guild Website http://www.ripguild.com

Hulk

Post by Hulk »

Boo to Mac

Tnem
Title: Lord

Post by Tnem »

Hurah for linux ports.

I got vista on main pc, other than annoying security settings and below par audio/video drivers its allright. Nothing beats linux for anything but gaming tho.
Tnem
Wakka - "The moles are rejoicing in the victory". Damn those moles
Visit my website http://www.tnem.co.uk