Newbie Ramblings

For things that have no home (Or non Drak-Related)
Yeti

Replying to Topic 'Newbie Ramblings'

Post by Yeti »

yeah, i remember the convo and the explainations, and yeah you should definately know if you have followed my style of posting at all, i almost always play to the crowd, or go for the cheap laugh :D

however, as you yourself said, if you had pmed me i would have given you a much more detailed explaination. DZ chat when several conversations are happening is not a particularly good place for a detailed explaination. If you ask in dz and do not get the answer you were looking for, feel free to pm me, im very rarely too busy to accept polite pms with legitimate questions, and when i am too busy im usually invis.

The place to ask questions has changed since dz, in IEN the sf was a great place for people to meet and exchange pots and ideas, but with the addition of DZ this changed. Now most people look in the lobby when they want some idle chat.

At the time of said question, i was already engaged in lighthearted jesting with several people in the chat, and decided to use your question as a way to get another laugh, as two of my friends have tried hally thieves at one point or another. Since you admit you knew i would give a more detailed explaination in pm, why didnt you just pm me? I do not think i was invis at the time, or if i was it was on accident and you could have asked me to let you pm me.

-Yeti
If Practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, then why practice?
If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t more people happy?
What are those little things on the end of your shoelaces called?
and finally...

If money is the root of all evil then how come churches ask for it?

Tristram

Post by Tristram »

Yeti, rolling a thief was just a subject on my mind at the time. Wondering what would make a good weapon for one in Drak just popped into my head and I asked. I really wasn't expecting detailed answers. I just wanted something as reference for a little research. Just wanted a few suggestions. When you said 'hally' I could tell there was a meaning behind it, perhaps a joke, or some prior experience. I left DZ at that time wondering if you might have been a little serious.

Yeti, you have always impressed me as someone that is very approachable, and I wouldn't hesitate to PM you with an issue.

Right now I play my pally mostly, but I have a ment and healer in the wings. The last one I thought I might make a temp MA for a couple of sliths if I'm ever fortunate enough to get a couple. One would be for my pally, and the other would be for my MA rr'd into a thief. A lot of the fun is in the planning for me. I love the mental exercise.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal....Henry Ford

Ambrose
Title: Always Right

Post by Ambrose »

I believe in 'good newbies' ... but they are rare ...

And the ones that get indignant when they don't get an immediate answer to their request for info or help need a reality check ... along the lines of: "you're not the boss of me ... shut up"

I have alot to do in real life ... I have 200 times that much to do in Drakkar ... if I'm not in the mood to drop what I'm doing ... well I won't.

I admit that I don't have patience for people who want the answers before they have had time to come up with the questions.

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

Frozboz, who are you to preach about melodrama?

Tristram, with extra crits you will find managing your play time difficult; you will be torn between the four crits. I would suggest concentrating on one until he is at decent size; then he can be a support to other crits. For DP recoveries, for example.

As for info, I am always available to answer PMs whenever I'm on; if not now, in 5 minutes. I let the pm window float while I am busy. DZ is a good place to ask questions when there is not an active convo already... Because it can get quite spammy and ones may miss questions/answers. And I usually dont watch the convo... Those PMs sure do stick out, however. ;)
Mihey__PHNX

Migam

Post by Migam »

When I'm focused on testing or a particular goal, I've run past friends with barely a glance. Sometimes, I can be welcome wagon, guide, rescuer and lots of times, I'm the solo hunter with absolute tunnel vision. I don't always greet and sometimes have drop twig just when someone has greeted me and twig back just to return the hello.

Expect diverse types playing this game. Some play more to chat... some play more for more. Neither are bad, elite, etc., just dedicated to what they like. :)

And expected funny remarks in Main; it's mostly for fun (but not always).
Last edited by Migam on Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Morgar

Post by Morgar »

Originally posted by Mihey
Tristram, with extra crits you will find managing your play time difficult; you will be torn between the four crits. I would suggest concentrating on one until he is at decent size; then he can be a support to other crits. For DP recoveries, for example.
Mihey is entirely correct. Far too many people divide their time between four slots instead of concentrating on one slot. I have one crit now in its 30s. And once I max his skills, I'll move on to another crit. Not til then. A long time ago I realized that if I had taken all the time I had put into my secondary crits and put that into one crit, that one crit would be so much bigger instead of having four little crits in their teens, I'd have 1 crit in the 20s and 3 backup, unused slots.

Sure every so often you need to pick up another crit and play it to break the tedium. But there is a reason why people refer to certain crits as their "main". :)

- Morgar

Useful Drakkar files for Heros and Cowards: http://www.northernwebs.com/drakkar

Demonaic

Post by Demonaic »

i figger your main should have like 5-10x the xp of your side crits (aside from any given cap). or you're not focusing enough. just my general view.
well, for me, building sidecrits was a way to diversify and keep my attention on drak.
ie; my thief can pick doors for me
my paladin can help a smaller hunt be sporting or xp/skill with others that side
my x-ment could do enchants, etc etc.

and i've gained alot of knowledge on general basic hunting techniques for those sidecrit classes while building them. ie what weapons are generaly used, how to hunt with a thief well, what areas are good for any given size, etc.

as for helping newbs and such, it depends on my mood, how they ask, etc. it's funny how many people ask my size in sf... it's "Big/Big" as far as you're concerned. which suffice it to say is enough for anything they'd need to know :. yeah, going on a smaller crit is fun way to join in small hunts. i dunno, there's a ramble for your ramble.
-------------------------------------
LadyTrash
aka Frodo
ICQ - 112870456
DZ - ThatCorpse999

Tristram

Post by Tristram »

Since this seems to be a dying thread I will conclude with my final remarks....er....novel !!

My ramblings received much more attention than I anticipated. I want to express my appreciation for the attention that you gave it, and offer a sincere 'Thank You' to each of you who bothered to post a response.

I have attempted to hold up a mirror so you can see yourselves through the eyes of a new comer. If what you see is a little different than what you expected, then consider this an enlightenment. If you think "that's about right", then consider it a conformation.

Coming into Drakkar is a lot like being a new kid from far away coming to a new school, in a small town where the cliques and clans have long been established, and 'outsiders' are not truly welcome. The new kid doesn't look right, doesn't act the same as the local culture, definitely doesn't use the same phraseology. Now, I have visited a 'Diablo II' forum and I know that some (a lot actually) players want the biggest, the best, the baddest character because that's what it takes for them to be comfortable or important. But, it could be that some just want to buy the brand of jeans that you do, or buy the school jacket as soon as possible in order to look more like you in the hopes of gaining acceptance a little quicker. In a way, the local culture is the motivating force that drives the begging culture that you despise. The more self assured or individualist types will be more immune to the pressure; but, the pressure IS there!!

I'll admit that I'm an old guy. Vietnam was my war. In my lifetime I've witnessed much death, sorrow, destruction, pain, vileness, meaness, and evils of all sorts......happily I've seen their opposites as well. I know we all hurt at times. I know that no one is better than another. I decided long ago that it is not my place to cause pain on another. So, while I will NOT bow down to any of you; I will NOT treat any of you as Mt. Olympus Gods; and I will NOT kiss any of your butts..........I have already placed each and every one of you on a pedestal just because you are!!! I will always treat each of you with kindness and respect, whether or not it is given in return. I have done this because I respect myself. Those of you who exude a love of life, who have an open and friendly nature about them, I will seek you out because that's the kind of people I
want around me. Those of you who are aloof or are elitist I will leave alone if you wish.

Now, this is your community. You have been here a long time. You have every right to shape it as you see fit. Who you chose to acquiesce or ostracize is, of course, your decision to make. I ask that you show compassion and understanding when dealing with 'individuals'. Reasons for their actions are many and varied.

Have fun; Happy Hunting; and Happy Halloween!!!

Tristram
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal....Henry Ford

Silvara

Post by Silvara »

Howdy tristram:)

I am a fellow vet though I missed Nam by a few years. I'd be happy to hunt with you
anytime ya see Xanthra in chat, PM and see if its me or one of my sons on. I have a 19/16 barb im working hard on here lately:) My barb's name if ya see her in SF or whereever is Silvara.