Nifty "secrets"

Players assistance on how to get started
Valarc

Nifty "secrets"

Post by Valarc »

I thought I'd start a thread for people to post neat little tricks, secrets, unpublished features, etc that they know about drakkar. I'll start off with a useless but sorta neat one. There's a hidden terrain type for the illusion disc: ice. If you type form illusion ice it will make a plain white hex.

So what other nifty little tricks have people found in the game? Please reply here and share.
Valarc___STORM, usually found in #storm on irc, and in the pillar room in cob

**Excerpt from an actual Lobby chat session**

chance: does valarc eva leave game
Brad: valarc is an NPC
Brad: didnt you know that?

Mihey

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Mihey »

Aye, many may know this lil secret, but not all...

Did you see the water hex by lightning hammer trader in middle of maeling (in that spiral tree park)?

Try climbing up on that water ;)
Mihey__PHNX

Demonaic

Replying to Topic 'N

Post by Demonaic »

1 also, there's a stairs-like invisible portal next to the thief trainer in the 'secret' part of SF.

2 Also, partying with yourself while you use discipline twigs gives minimal skill *better then none*.

3 seek the trainer on the island for training in the lost arts :p

4 in cob, to pop those huge hexes with insane amounts of stuff on-hex, use km4 pop twigs, it will pop a small portion, and not destroy coin or left over items from each transmute. <this even helps those skill 30 ments :p >

5 When playing a thief, if you use a discipline while having an equipped EP giving item <many are around>, and you cast such things, it will take EP instead of HP and give you psi skill in both healer and ment. Psi versions of thief discs are MUCH more powerful per skill level. IE skill 11 ment on thief, transmutes for the power of a skill 20 thief using thief based transmute. you may not train in psi abilities while skilling these up. however, i do believe Dion will train you if you get a training potion off of her. I'm not sure if the same technique would work if you get a psi discipline <ie succor, sense, CC?> on a stick type crit from fate cards... anyone tested? info to chew on.

6 Chippuda is mean

7 kragen is in Aleria, the NW caves, around a twisty maze, down staircase, and through the windy caves with unlocked doors. Does he give anything interesting?

8 Koss's Castle is SW of War Lord's tower. <yes, many people don't know this>

9 Aid VERY much helps you deplete lairs

10 even if something doesn't cause a block <such as a shield> you will get hit for less when you are hit on average. i guess swinging around around a shield takes more effort eh? even an ogre shield helps psi crits :p

11 hp doctor quests may become very difficult after lvl 20, so if it's NOT important, avoid lvl'ing past 20. <ie random items, lori statue, gd brick>

12 for noncharging/casting/archery crits, a thief can hide, side-step, and backstab a monster even if they are visible to them.

13 there are several weapons people don't realize are returning. i'll list the majority: rb quest hammer, lightning hammer, fs hally/LS/mace, n8 bully lookin' daggers, bullywog/manphibian daggers, Raxe, stiletto, some random plain-looking maces in timmy are returning. and if you poison a cob returning weapon, it will cast lvl 23 poison on throw, not contact.

14 bandit lord shortsword is sackable, but stiletto is not <spose that razor edge would rip yer sack>

I'll post more later as i think of stuff :p

Demonaic/LadyTrash
Lobby - ThatCorpse999
ICQ 112870456 <demonaic> please mention drak if requesting authorization.
Last edited by Demonaic on Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------
LadyTrash
aka Frodo
ICQ - 112870456
DZ - ThatCorpse999

Drdrunk

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Drdrunk »

reggie is sackable.
a certain lair north of frore can be soloed by a skill7 ment if they use the right discs.
seahag carries 7 ih.
there's 7 guardians in each alt of nork.
drinking ih on a healer saves you a round.
power word death takes perm hp if you're hit by it. it also reflects.
when elance reflects it hits caster and target.
reggie is technicaly on n-6.
the red dragons in frore come from fireplains.
thieves can set the power level of their traps.(it's in the help but not alot of crits read it)
mama scales were lowered in protection. ien scales are 250 f/i prot, dz scales are 200.
no lair in aleria eats.
uzis skill ma skill if you kill enemies with it in hand.
succor twigs are glowing staffs.
morningstars can never be blocked by shields, including smasher's and koss' morningstar(s).

nork npcs sometimes drop bottles that look like ih, but revitalize you(full hp and ep restore).

wpaj is a word.

i'll edit post and add more as i think of them.
Last edited by Drdrunk on Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watcher

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Watcher »

form illusion wall then form illusion empty on the same hex.

It acts as if the wall is still there, but one can see and cast disciplines, throw through the empty space. Creatures or Players cannot get through the hex. A lower mentalist's equivalent of passwall. :>

thieves can get experience with traps as long they as they stay in the same segment and the same alt. One can set traps in a hostile environment, twig bad to thief guild and rake in the experience points. Not recommended for highly traveled areas. :>

The succor twig is a glowing staff weapon.

Twigging back to a different segment or the GH will detox poison.

Gothmog
Title: Robbin ya since 1982

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Gothmog »

lets not forget for small mets that you can cast illusion water on a wall in mealing -3 and sit there after it regens and never get touched
Endorphin____MYTH
You feel like you have been discovered!
You do not have the element of surprise!
You must have a weapon in your hand to backstab!
The mark avoids you!
You can not find good shadow!
The story of my life hehehehe.

Ztinktoof

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Ztinktoof »

Thief Secrets

Going up from the hex west of the Nork thief trainer places you in the Volcano Town thief guild.

There is a thief guild hidden away in Rat Burrow town. It has a secret wall into town and another into the dungeons.

"put right in sack;steal from" or "put left in sack;steal from" with needs target on will allow you to empty your hand and steal so you can attempt a theft every round.

You can determine the nature of traps before you buy them by double clicking on the trap icon on the store display. Works for twigs too.

Fighting with a lockpick in right gives thievery skill.

You can backstab with a bow.

A regular attack with any weapon while hiding will also give a small amount of thievery skill.

A proning crossbow is dropped by gnoll champions is Rat Burrow.

If you upset some of the Nork Townies, they will steal from you.

The Nork thief trainer takes your coin if you are fully trained and gives you nothing for it.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard
Avatar (C) WIlliam Li: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/w/i/william/
KaM Guild Website: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ctanzio/kam.html

Ztinktoof

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Ztinktoof »

Alerian Trivia

Koss castle is actually SE of the warlord tower.

Watcher has something mysterious to say to you. You get to it by sinking beneath the quicksand in the Alerian swamp.

Mujaba never took swimming lessons.

Bandit Lord is afraid of the dark.

Winterwolf likes to chew on the legs of trainers.

The first several people to complete the Duke's Quests are honored in a special hall in Talinar's Keep.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard

Doro

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Doro »

Do you hate filling up your sack and getting the message over and over again as the system tries to jam more in there . . "you sack is full". . AND getting killed becasue of the delays it causes ?

1) Only take gems from the RIGHT hand column of the ground window.
2) Hit the 'Ctrl' key before dragging to your sack.

If you have 20 of ONE type of Gem to drag to sack and only have 5 empty slots left in sack, the system will fill the empty slots and stop !!!!!

Many more on the way (If I can only think of them !)

Doro___ASH
Last edited by Doro on Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ho

buho

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by buho »

Originally posted by Ztinktoof

Alerian Trivia

Barney neither.

buho.

Ztinktoof

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Ztinktoof »

Cobrahn Ring Trivia

Looking for something other than the 3/3 Timmy Store rings, but too small to get an 8/8 from a Cob lair? Here are some "doable" options...

4/4 rings with on-contact energy shield drop in SW caves.

5/5 combat rings drop in DarkOgre Town (under Juntes).

0/10 ghast eye rings drop in Undead City -1!

There are some nice pStun and pAssault rings that drop in Timmy Caves, but it can be a pain to identify them. Here is a neat trick.

Place the system protstun and protassault macros on a macro button bar. When you pick up a silver ring that has one of these discs on it, the macro button will light up! If you do not have the system macro on your macro list for either of these spells, then just pick up rings until the game asks you if you want to add the spell to your list. Answer yes, then it will be available to assign to your macro button bar.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard

Dragonslayer

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Dragonslayer »

Originally posted by Watcher

It acts as if the wall is still there, but one can see and cast disciplines, throw through the empty space. Creatures or Players cannot get through the hex. A lower mentalist's equivalent of passwall. :>

it doesn't work everywhere, illusion is bugged.

Switch alt, or slam, to get rid of poison.

Want townies in RB, or neutral crits in other places, red to you? use illusion wall on their hex.(use this trick if hunting bears or so on yeti island, and neutral crits are killing everything)

gabagimli, in the ratburrow pub, tells some entertaining tales, take the time to listen :)
Last edited by Dragonslayer on Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonslayer of PHNX

Watcher

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Watcher »

Originally posted by Dragonslayer

Originally posted by Watcher

it doesn't work everywhere, illusion is bugged.

Switch alt, or slam, to get rid of poison.

Want townies in RB, or neutral crits in other places, red to you? use illusion wall on their hex.(use this trick if hunting bears or so on yeti island, and neutral crits are killing everything)

gabagimli, in the ratburrow pub, tells some entertaining tales, take the time to listen :)

didn't say the illusion worked everywhere, now did I. :>

purg2

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by purg2 »

Bring Mr.Hobbit a special Egg and he gives you something in return.

There is a coffin behind the Hally Giant Lair.

There was is/was a command for mining, i believe its mine <direction> (i only done it a few times)

Critsort to see who all is on your hex, not a good option for lairs. There is a way to turn this command off but I forgot it also.

Banshee lair needs Hippo boots to get in, but doesnt destroy the boots. FireLizard Lair requires Hippo Boots, but it does destroy the boots.

casting fire on water makes it walkable.

Fire storm draggie is actually on N-5 :-)

Beyond popular believe, SOME ES rings do not like being used with ES cast by ment and they neutralize each other out.

Last but not least, There are no Gods in Drakkar, just really powerful janitors hehehe

Dragonslayer

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Dragonslayer »

Originally posted by purg2

There is a coffin behind the Hally Giant Lair.
Would you mind showing me that some day? i've been searching for it a bit, coudn't find it, and then HG regenerated :)

#critsort enable
#critsort disable

simple as that :), i advice all barbs to use that, it will keep you on your hex a bit

the mining command exist, didn't find a place to mine yet tough.

does illusion fire also gets rid of water-damage?

use illusion path to stay away from biting fishes

my fighter likes mr.hobbit's present (are you sure you spelled it right?)
Dragonslayer of PHNX

purg

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by purg »

HG - Just blow up the wall at the SE side of lair its all sealed up in a little room

I think his name is Hobbit maybe it was hobar? ill just have to take a run to RB and check

Well when i say Fire on water makes it walkable i may not have been ment for Players
:-) *somethings in Drakkar are poor swimmers, and this info could be put to use hehe*
Last edited by purg on Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morgar

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Morgar »

0/10 ghast eye rings drop in Undead City -1!
Zink,
What do these rings look like?

Morgar

Useful Drakkar files for Heros and Cowards: http://www.northernwebs.com/drakkar

Saruman

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Saruman »

last time i checked barney couldnt see in the dark

0/10 ring is well..i think on the ash website.... http://www.ashguild.com

think the ES rings are on the website also
Last edited by Saruman on Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psyco

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by psyco »

Draggies on fireplains dont like water,

cast IV..then acidbreath followed by dark, you have a nice safe area for non swimmers.

few areas in fireplains,when ill. water is cast dont vanish when draggies get hot under the coller.:D

fmort

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by fmort »

Originally posted by buho

Alerian Trivia

Barney neither.

buho.
But barney will ignore you if you in the water, Mujaba will auto-heal if your in the water now after a couple rounds. Same with the dragons in cob if you try to get them through the window of lori's hut. Tarak and barney are also nightblind. Cob levi's will attempt
You can make the denaba, (they are known to snatch your shield if you drop it,) red (or any neutral critt red) by casting illusion wall on them when they are next to you. I had lots of fun with the frore gd's using this trick.
Neutral Lairs!! I only half way want to give this one out... but its complicated anyway. You can make them red to everyone but you need a theif and he needs an area type trap. Get everyone on hex with the crit, or a hex NEXT TO the theifs hex, not on it. THIEF make sure you are the only one on your hex when you set the trap! Proning sticks stop attacking! If the wrong person goes red.. barbs have a hayday and things go bad. Thief sets trap at level 1 (#trap 1 (with trap in right hand) If the bait is to the west of the trap he needs to walk AROUND the trap (ne se) to make the critt you want to set off the trap go OVER the trap. Boom it sets the trap off, he is red to everyone the trap hits, healers can then use pws, pwd, and pwh. And it becomes easier for people to attack the thing. OR you can psi-mirror the critt, and have healers assault it, then deplete it... but I it takes a lot of skill to deplete uther. Honestly its only worth the trouble on uther. Reggie dies pretty fast, and is easy to deplete if you psi-mirror him anyway. Mama is gonna use fire sooner or later, and if your not evil she will be red to you then.

I guess you cant call these secrets anymore, can you?

Thant_EDGE

buho

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by buho »

Cobrahn Ring Trivia

5/5 can be found in NW caves. Very rare drop.

buho.

PS: BTW how Cob ES rings work? Never seen the 'ES is on' icon in my crit.

Fenris

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Fenris »

Couple of nifty commands some folks may not be familiar with

dashes enable
l at "name's" item IE: look at uther's broadsword
l at twig on ground
count item IE: count gems

Pol

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Pol »

Not really a secret, but handy for baby barbs just starting to zerk
got told about using this instead of the system drink macro for drinking while zerked and it's saved my butt on more than a few occasions (don't write over the original system one tho) -

belt right;t bottle from sack;drink bottle

has the advantage If you have a target, of either drinking or forcing an out of control round so you autobalm which the system one doesn't
that works for ls like a dream for me, but i guess you could alter it depending on your circumstances :)
Polgara

Men - Can't live with them and if you tie them to the bumper and drive at high speeds over speedhumps the authorities tend to frown

Ztinktoof

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Ztinktoof »

The Cob energy shield rings look like thick, black rings with diamond-shaped gems.

The ghast-eye rings are more delicate looking with a small, round black gem, like an eye. If you look at the ring it will say it is a ghast eye ring.

I believe the energy shield rings are on-contact ES, so an energy shield disc will not appear on the disc bar. Can anyone confirm this? We are talking about the Cob rings. I just sold them and never played with them much.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard

Ragnoker

Replying to Topic 'Nifty

Post by Ragnoker »

The cob energyshield rings are on contact es and do not give a disc ( confirming ).

They do sense for the level of es though ;)

Ragnoker_PHNX :D
http://www.phoenixguild.net
"What -- Me Worry?"