Origin (and current status) of RIP?

General User Chat
Palarran

Origin (and current status) of RIP?

Post by Palarran »

Hi all,

I was just curious if anyone here remembers how and when RIP formed. I joined the Everquest guild Rest in Peace in 2003, and I don't think any of the Drakkar RIP members were still playing Everquest by that point, so we only have secondhand information about our origins.

According to an old post on our forums:
"The founders who debated the name choice included Artie (EQ char name Notch), Rock (no EQ char known), Stevie (no EQ char known), James (EQ char names were Balen then Dicey), and Steve (Bauglir)."
Other people who came over included (possibly EQ names instead of Drakkar names): Bier (Drunkenmonk), Tauroxx (Archangel), Speedy, Rainyy, Swiftaxe, Foulbreath, Aren, Balcon, Speedy, Vlaven (Ouch)

Right now "early 90's" is our best guess as to the guild creation date, which means we should be celebrating our 20th anniversary one of these days. :)

Is RIP still alive in Drakkar? Does anyone know what happened to http://www.ripguild.com? (It went down about 4 years ago, and I guess the domain was abandoned.)

Jord

Re: Origin (and current status) of RIP?

Post by Jord »

wow, do those names bring back memories
I do not know the origins, as RIP was around long before I joined which was mid 90s
I know it's still around on Drakkar as I haven't left (and seems like never will)
I dabble in EQ these days as well, but not guilded there.

Skip

Post by Skip »

I remember Blackjack_RIP, a really good guy, back in the 95-97 days, before I left for EQ beta 3 & 4.

I think he was the first MT ment, but remember doing Reggie's with him in a multi-guild group of 8 to 10 people, when we were all level 18 or 19, skill 15 / 16, and we walked all the way there.

I later heard something about him passing his account on to a family member, so not sure if he ever went to EQ or DAoC.

Rathe

Post by Rathe »

Hi guys,

I still have a copy of the old ripguild.com website backed up if anyone wants to revive it. I stopped paying for the domain about 1 year after I left for WoW. Of course, some squatter snagged it and wants a ransom, $2400 if you can belive it! :)

Can't say I remember the orgins of RIP, playing Drakkar since the Ascii Drakkar days makes you forget things :) Lets see, Started Edge, Joined DOOM, MPGN dies, Rejoin the resurrection and BJ recruits me to RIP. Been a long ride, but still a fond memory.

Just wish all the old guild would return, then it might be fun enough to pay Brad again! Just not the old $2 hr rate though :)

-Rathe.RIP

Migam

Post by Migam »

Rathe wrote:Hi guys,

I still have a copy of the old ripguild.com website backed up if anyone wants to revive it. I stopped paying for the domain about 1 year after I left for WoW. Of course, some squatter snagged it and wants a ransom, $2400 if you can belive it! :)

Can't say I remember the orgins of RIP, playing Drakkar since the Ascii Drakkar days makes you forget things :) Lets see, Started Edge, Joined DOOM, MPGN dies, Rejoin the resurrection and BJ recruits me to RIP. Been a long ride, but still a fond memory.

Just wish all the old guild would return, then it might be fun enough to pay Brad again! Just not the old $2 hr rate though :)

-Rathe.RIP

I know jack about what's xferred to restore a backedup site, etc but WOLF is hosting all the Drak sites they can and if it's something that can be emailed, I can pass it on to Windbag... I mean Stormwind to see if he can mirror it to wolfguild.com . I'll PM you an email here.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Mars
Admin
Admin

Post by Mars »

you had it right the first time

windbag <G>

Palarran

Post by Palarran »

Wow, that's great to hear! I was afraid it was all lost--at least anything not picked up by archive.org.

If the wolfguild.com thing doesn't pan out, I'd like to host it at guildrip.com. It was our RiP Everquest website from around 2002-2012 (at which point I retired from EQ, and the active members set up a new website at ripeq.com). I'm paying to keep guildrip.com running for posterity anyway, and would be happy to include a copy of the old ripguild.com site too.

Also, Speedy posted in the RiP EQ Facebook group earlier this month. :)

Palarran

Post by Palarran »

Oh yeah, I suppose I should include a way to contact me: palarran.taurina@gmail.com

Baddog

Post by Baddog »

Was traveling down memory lane and ran into this post, not sure if those that asked are still interested but will put this in case.

Notch and ouch (game names of course), called Blackjack and myself up to one of the lobby tables and asked us if we were interested in forming a guild.....we were. We kicked around a lot of great names which I can't remember now, but they were so jealous of my names they refused to use them :). Anyway I believe it was ouch who suggested the name RIP. Now that could of been a carryover from classic but I don't believe it was.

Anyway the original 4 were

These 2 came from classic
Notch Crazy barbarian when always pushed the envelope
Ouch a healer and a fantastic tactician who figured out how to beat all the boss mobs for us

myself (baddog pub name) otto paladin who was my main character
and blackjack mage who always got me killed.......he would tell you it was the other way around but not so :)

I am pretty sure we started in the msn version but I'm old and that was a long time ago so could of been after the move.

I knew the guild moved to EQ but was active duty navy and was overseas a lot during the time some of us went over and missed hooking up. I ended up playing on xgenoy with a guild called Dark Templars.

This was my first online game and so for me was magic.......I loved every minute of playing it and except for real world commitments would maybe still be playing, but I still like to drop into the forums to see what's going on occasionally and hope you all keep it going for another 20 years.