Combat Adds

General User Chat
Acaciam

Combat Adds

Post by Acaciam »

I think someone explained it a while back, but I'd like a refresher...

On slots such as armor-cloak-robe/boots/helm combat adds are specified x/x or +x.
On slots such as ring/neck/wrist combat adds are always x/x.

My assumptions are that x/x adds work exactly as listed by affecting your dice rolls for saves and attacks.
I'm assuming that +x adds add directly to your AC value, whereas most think +x is equivalent to x/0.
Which is why ring/neck/wrist items never have +x, since those slots don't contribute to your AC.

Thoughts, comments, facts?

Poldarn

Re: Combat Adds

Post by Poldarn »

rings aren't always x/x

Mormar has +9 rings, for example, and i believe thermature rings start off as +9 rings also, and change to 9/9 with quest, therefore i believe 9/9 adds to be better than +9 adds.

Migam

Post by Migam »

Ammies aren't always x/x. Merk combat ammy is +3.

Once, landlubber explained to me +x is very different from x/x. I can no longer remember anything that day except the intense headache that followed his explanation.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Acaciam

Post by Acaciam »

Migam wrote:Ammies aren't always x/x. Merk combat ammy is +3.

Once, landlubber explained to me +x is very different from x/x. I can no longer remember anything that day except the intense headache that followed his explanation.
This is pretty much what I was trying to figure out.
Someone explained it in detail once, but I don't remember any of it.

My assumption is x/x does exactly what it says, +hit and/or decrease to be hit.
And that +x enhances that items main purpose..
ie.. +x shield blocks more
+x weapon hits harder, more often
+x robe/armor has higher AC

nunnbt473

Post by nunnbt473 »

So what your saying is a +4 probe and a 3/3 ma slith basically are not even really comparable in a normal sense then ... (pardon any pun). The difference between to-hit /evasion (x/x) VS damage absorbption (+x)??
----------
Just say no to fate cards.

Acaciam

Post by Acaciam »

damage absorption is a completely different issue.

I'm talking strictly about the combat adds revealed when sensing

I was not considering NL items because frankly I think brad's vision of the game has changed when those items
were added from what it was 10 years ago.

however, my best guess is still that a +x item does not affect saving rolls both yours and what you're attacking.
because those are specifically revealed though sensing (increases to-hit [x/0], decreases probability of being hit [0/x], increases to-hit and decreases probability of being hit[x/x])

the question is then, what is +x?
is it a multiplier of an items innate AC?
is it a to-hit bonus similar or the same as a x/0?

as migam said, there was a pretty good idea of exactly what combat adds meant floating around the player base
and I was hoping someone remembered, or had it saved somewhere and could reply with that info.

as far as a probe and slith, those robes server pretty drastically different purposes. outside of being hit by ec, i'd wear a MA slith any day or the week.
I'm more interested in this information to figure out which cob gear is better in which situation. juntes robes are +5 when padded with yeti, which is
a higher +x than a lori, but lori seems to have far more AC thus providing better protection. It also seems from just trying out different combinations,
that a 0/5 skin robe provides better protection than a juntes, and they sense completely different.

So what makes it provide better protection?
is it my imagination?
is it that a skin robe has higher ac?
is it because of the defensive bonus (0/5)?

hope that clears up where I was headed with the initial post.