Do people still play?

General User Chat
Merlin

Do people still play?

Post by Merlin »

To those of you who do not know of me, I played every inch of drakkar when I was active, solved many quests/lairs alongside my guildmates/friends. I had maxed out several classes to the maximum the game would permit, I beleive its changed now and skill 38 is available?

I've hunted with some of the greats on Drakkar, I've been at the top end of the game being the first to achieve personal goals and group efforts. Over the years I've seen many players come and go, then come back again!

Well I've been out of the game for a while after my account was deleted for feature/bug abuse<g>, which I'm sure many of you know about.

My question to the community is,

Do people still play, and is the game anything like it used to be back in the good old days?

When I left, the game was coming to a painful slow death, has it picked up any or is it still on a downward spiral mainly due to developement neglect?

If you dont think its due to neglect from the developer and lack of communication with the player base, what other issues do you think have also a negative effect on the game/community?

*Merlz*

EDIT: Typo
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

flisk
Admin
Admin
Title: King of Drakkar

Re: Do people still play?

Post by flisk »

Your perception of a slow and painful death was for your own account and your personal view. There are many players here who have been here before your time and continue to play, quite happy with how the game is developing. Because one person grows bored and feels the need to try to destroy it for the rest of the community does not mean the game is going the way of a slow and painful death.

There never was any kind of "development neglect" as you put it. The development may not have been exactly what you wanted that would benifit you specifically at that exact moment that you had to have it.

We have good numbers playing and they continue to grow, content is being added on a fairly regular basis, sysops are holding many events, players are having fun.

It is generally those that are considered "bad apples" that try to convince the community that there is no hope in playing, and that things will die. As always, when the "bad apples" are removed, the good ones have a chance to flourish and grow.

All in all, everyone seems to be having fun.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

flisk wrote:We have good numbers playing and they continue to grow, content is being added on a fairly regular basis, sysops are holding many events, players are having fun.
Are the numbers not alot less than they were back in 2001/2/3 ?

In my opinion the playerbase has drastically took a turn for the worse, which is what I based my opinion on, and thats all it was, my opinion.
oh and fyi, i had many accounts, only one of them was rendered "dead"

And I'd like to question your statement about many players here before me that still play. Because when I left there might have been maybe 10? But i suppose that is alot if the player count is low.
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Omni
Admin
Admin

Post by Omni »

Drakkarzone is doing absolutely fantastic. I typically see 120+ players online in the mornings when I come online. That number is steadily growing. I have also started to notice quite a few new players in the game as well as old timers returning.

Development has been steadily progressing, new content was added to the Valentine's event this year, the rest of the holiday events will also be getting some new content. I am very excited about the Halloween and Christmas work I have already begun!

Once I am comfortable with some of the smaller scale development, I will be working on larger scale projects. These include the SDH expansion and Flisk has also asked me to assist him with his Alerian expansion. I've been pouring over all of Flisk's notes - some really good stuff here!

Brewing is about to undergo an expansion, which I am also helping Brad develop. (shhh!)

Darge has been creating some really amazing new artwork to incorporate into the game. Players were able to enjoy some of the items I requested for the Valentine event expansion and you can see some of the other artwork he is creating in his post on these forums.

Special events are typically held several times a month. Sometimes the reward is just a few potions, sometimes its an item or perm stat boost and recently a few new limited edition items were handed out.
(How do you guys like those Banditlord Head Helms btw?)

I also recently created a unique, one of a kind Killer Bow (Grats again Darkninja) and a really cool one of a kind helm (and Beowulf really really likes that helm!).

Omni

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

I love my Servant of Graine Helm and my 0/9 Medusa Shield. =)

The game really has been growing as of lately.

Omni
Admin
Admin

Post by Omni »

Wait until I make your faction important for more than just a quest flagging :-)

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

Omni wrote:Wait until I make your faction important for more than just a quest flagging :-)
*cough*
Landlubber's idea in particular would be neat, especially if the factions meet in the undead swamp (reanimated corpses have to come from somewhere!)
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

flisk
Admin
Admin
Title: King of Drakkar

Post by flisk »

Reanimated corpses DO come from somewhere <grin>

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

Ogletown and Cabervale! Ogletown and Cabervale!

Demonaic

Post by Demonaic »

flisk wrote:As always, when the "bad apples" are removed, the good ones have a chance to flourish and grow.
<--- was one of those bad apples
anyhoo, if anyone wants to catch up with me sometime, you can catch me on AIM as my favorite alias JamesDestumer (i think i had a few accounts with this name, lol) or on MSN as ThatCorpse999@hotmail.com

and yes, i still play warcrack. and have for like 3.5 years.

uebersoldat

Post by uebersoldat »

I'm a returning Drakkarian myself. Not a very big (crit) but it's a helluva good game IMHO. Simple and quick yet gameplay beats most games out there today where graphics rule and story and depth take the backseat.

vedwed
Title: THE MAD MENT

Post by vedwed »

Ummmmm no I dont still play, do not have any intention to return either, this game just has no more to offer for the cost. I can go play LOTRO for less and actually get into the game for the story, the graphics, the people playing, and the price if I didn't mention that to start with <G>
This game is stone age, no matter what scenario it is the same...grind, lvl, grind, skill, grind more and end up with nothing more than a headache because you cant find a tier from barbs, theres no demention, no dynamics, not much of anything except for left click here right click here blah blah.
I enjoyed my time here, and the only reason I do log in is to chat with the friends I have made over the 5 years I have been in the game.

Omni is doing great things with the game now, but its too little too late for me, 2d is just out of my scope, so for those that enjoy it still good times are coming.

Mars
Admin
Admin

Post by Mars »

Ved:

Who am I gonna smack now?

Can your wife at least log on? <VEG>

vedwed
Title: THE MAD MENT

Post by vedwed »

Mars wrote:Ved:

Who am I gonna smack now?

Can your wife at least log on? <VEG>
Just for you I promise to come in at least once a month for my smacking :D Actually you are one of those I consider a friend here :shock:

ZhouYu
Title: Paladin of AWESOME

Post by ZhouYu »

I'm coming back to my first graphical ORPG... again.

I would like to see more advertising of Drakkar, maybe. Maybe the players could get together and fund something of the sort... Or one of those places that place your ad in a banner that's randomly yours or someone else's based on viewcount of your site.

...Or something like that.

Edit: Maybe something where players put in for the cost of advertising and get special bonuses for it?

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

I think a lot of people already pay enough for the game, lol. =)