8bit and 24bit fe

General User Chat
Tnem
Title: Lord

8bit and 24bit fe

Post by Tnem »

I know its been sugested before and i know brad prob wont do it. But i would still love to see drakkar in 8bit again. Personaly i prefer the 8 bit fe but i now have to run the 24 bit always because of NL.

I am taking a leap here but would it be so hard to adjust the 24bit engine to display the 8bit graphics. I know that there are no NL graphics but couldnt some more be designed or even use old ones ?, im sure the player base would be happy to design some top notch ones too for FREE.

I suppose i am chasing after a dream, but it would be nice.

Tnem
Tnem
Wakka - "The moles are rejoicing in the victory". Damn those moles
Visit my website http://www.tnem.co.uk

Cobra

Replying to Topic '8bit and 24bit fe'

Post by Cobra »

I would love for 8 bit graphics to come back to drakkar. They were so much better than this new 24 bit stuff. I would at least like the choice of being either 8 bit or 24 bit.

Cobra

Andramelk
Title: Groovy

Post by Andramelk »

i concur, down with 24bit >:(
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Tooey

Post by Tooey »

I agree with Tnem 8bit graphics were great, not alone did it all look great it seemed to fit the bill of what it was meant to be a little bit more.

I realise Drakkar is trying to move forward but it seems a waste to forget the past especially when it is such a great heritage not only do I think that all of drak should be still runable on 8 bit (since all 'big' NL lairs still use a little person shouldn't be so hard) it would also be added back onto the Kingdom of Drakkar download page to give people the option of use either way.

Player development of 8Bit graphics has been done for years with introduction of 24bit its meant alot of players cant do this(don’t have time) anymore. This seems such a shame since Drakkar development community has always been important to the game by providing ideas and graphics to support and at worst a love for the game.

Tooey of ASH
Last edited by Tooey on Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodri

Post by Rodri »

not sooo hard, i have a 8bit FE for nl... u can see the new graphics and can use discs. it was made some time ago, so dunno how will work with GDH. If i player did it, im sure brad can.
Last edited by Rodri on Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|-Rodri-|

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

8 bit seems to give a much more crisp image.

*Merlz*
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

GuillotineAxE

Post by GuillotineAxE »

well yeah i stongly think we should have the old 8 bit part either as a toggle between old and new version would be nice :)

Doro

Post by Doro »

I have heard the arguments for and against.
I have heard it said that the 8bit graphics won't translate to the new FE.

I understand that Brad wants things to move forward, but I until the movement problem is conquered (1 hex jumps) then it is not ever going to progress for the playing population.

Yes NL is ONE way forward, but the mechinics could have been done ontop of the old FE.

Tiers and quirks are/were fun but they don't improve the game.
Fancy graphics don't improve the game (for me).

Give us the gameplay that the population (your account payers) want:-

Fixed bugs, sound improvements, graphic fixes and game gliches to improve what we already have.

Then ask if we think idea (a) or idea (b) is better rather than just dumping your ideas on us (still in beta after all these months).

In fact, isn't the new FE still in beta?

So much for blowing the top off the level system and skills.

All we have ever asked it parity for the old FE with the new FE (give us a black or blank graphic for any tiem that can't be displayed.

Here's an idea:-

Allow a hat in new FE to be shown as a hat in old, but make the description unique so we can tell them apart.

ho ho, I can hear you sysops graoning "welcome back Doro"
ho

Doro

Post by Doro »

Jeepers, does this warrant a poll of some sort Brad?

One vote for each paid account perhaps?
ho

Tnem
Title: Lord

Post by Tnem »

This is a pic of what Rodri was talking about he recently sent me the pic of it, If a player can do it why not an official version by brad ?

8Bit fe with all the featurs of 24bit ish

Allthough this is using the new new graphics for the fe but old graphics for items/tiles. Not perfect but close enough to show it is possible :)

Tnem
Tnem
Wakka - "The moles are rejoicing in the victory". Damn those moles
Visit my website http://www.tnem.co.uk

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Hail Warriors

I think this deserves a poll Doro, and I feel the the 8bit did attract some of our more technically (old school) gamers..

certainly i always found it cool that a p-75 could run it on dial up.

I am in favor of the choice, not of us choosing for Brad of course, i leave that for Mars <WEG>

Respectfully,

Moebius
since 1998

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

To whom it may concern,

From my earliest days of playing Drakkar on an Amiga 500 computer and showing up at Comdex in Las Vegas just to get the Amiga disks, this game has been a delight to play. You don't keep people around long enough to have them put your kids through college without reasonably listening to them. In 17 years I've sunk some serious cash into this avenue. I have enjoyed most of it. Thank you for that. Over the years I never had problems in the slightest with the 8 bit front end, yet with the 24 bit I'm constantly sending Microsoft crash messages and debugging code that has begun to really make me regret my loyalty and investment. It cannot truly be THAT difficult to design (or buy from contributors) new graphics to support the newer areas of Drakkar, or just simply yet, have a reference library accessed by IDs. Then new mods can be made at any time with no problems and the system can maintain it's own integrity and still be highly expandable.

Bring back 8 bit capability.

Maximus

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Just as a reminder Brad...

A version of Drakkar was successfully employed, referred often as "WebDrakkar" with the front end entirely managed by a browser. That same versitility would allow graphics of any bit resolution defined by the computers own graphics driver. Why not take another look at that for expansion possibilities, not to mention the new markets you would be able to bring into Drakkar. ANY computer system with any internet browser could play Drakkar. Access to the entire world of internet computing. No longer OS specific, just browser applicable.

Maximus

Orlof

Post by Orlof »

you can add me to list of players that miss and want the 8bit FE back.

Orlof

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

Player development of 8Bit graphics has been done for years with introduction of 24bit its meant alot of players cant do this(don’t have time) anymore
I suppose I didn't get the memo :sarc

I'd simply like to be able to choose which graphics I see displayed for what item. Do I want old fe graphics back even though I have tons of the warm and fuzzies from that time? For the most part, no. But I would like to be able to slap any of my graphics or anything I want for that matter as long as it conforms to size restrictions in place of what exists. Other people would simply see what their own gear files mandate.

But the big clincher is of course, I'd rather see GDH completed first, and then NL tuned/modified to be more fun, and Brad remains one person.
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Doro

Post by Doro »

Originally posted by Tooey

. . . I think that all of drak should be still runable on 8 bit (since all 'big' NL lairs still use a little person shouldn't be so hard) . .
Ever heard of the QueenServant?

That was big graphics on the old FE - it can stil be done.
Last edited by Doro on Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ho

M a l e c

Post by M a l e c »

I'd like to see the 8 bit graphics too, i liked it more than 24 bit. Maybe an option to change between 8 and 24 bit graphics, and ability to change screen resolution without having to see half of the game screen or empty space, where i could place 4 game screens <G> ;o)
Boo!

Maze

Post by Maze »

I agree 8 bit would be nice if we could go back to that . Seemed alot better then this 24 bit fe.

Vsari

Post by Vsari »

I liked the 8 bit better too. With this 24bit I was hoping to see more updates in graphics like class specific models and a larger game screen with larger textures. Seriously... a 9 inch viewing area isnt much anymore. Takes up about 1/4 of my screen ( I am not counting the crit list area ) and it really really hurts my eyes trying to look at the small models. Looking at the crit list all day isnt fun either.

Either give us the option to use 8bit or start seriously upgrading the 24bit ( why 24bit? Why not go higher in the first place? ).

Bullseye

Post by Bullseye »

I loved the older 8 Bit FE graphics as well, but... I could swear at one of the "status of the game" chats, that Brad had said the 8 bit compiler was lost during the change to Drakkar Zone, leaving us only with the Drakkar II or 24 bit interface.

So what we are all lusting after - the old 8 bit art, and 8 bit FE may not be possible anymore, except as a pasted in 8bit picture with the new 24 bit FE.

I'm sure Brad has alot more important things on the table besides trying to downgrade to the old 8 bit FE, but I also liked it and the memories it brings back.

My one post this year.

-Bullseye

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Man that's old pic bulls, ads and everything in that one. Now that brings back memories. Excally actually looks like a sword, i remember that, not some crazy looking thing wielded by cloude from ff7. I really miss old saber and bresh shield graphics.

Not to mention you can actually SEE the 8 bit FE. This 24 bit way too dark, always has been.

Cobra

Doro

Post by Doro »

Originally posted by Bullseye

I'm sure Brad has alot more important things on the table besides trying to downgrade to the old 8 bit FE, but I also liked it and the memories it brings back.
More important in RL? Certainly right now!

More important in game?
There is something more important than keeping paying customers happy?

The population of Drakkar has never been large, therefore Brad's income will never be in the millions. What he is left with is a loyal band of people who pay to play his game.

Each has a recognised personality and can claim to be valuable as their payments each represent a measureable percentage of Brad's income.

We see that he has an income (or the game would not still be around) and he acknowledges that we are funding his hobby (it is not enough for him to retire).

So what is more important?
His hobby or our money?

I would guess our money, without one the other would not last for long.

Any chance you could comment on this thread Brad?
ho

Boramier

Post by Boramier »

I agree with everyone that prefers the 8 bit version.

TangoDown

Post by TangoDown »

8 bit has allways been a favorite of mine due to the 'old school' look to it. I pretty much grew up on drakkar 8 bit as a kid (nerd ;) ) the newer 24 bit has allways seemed 'wrong' to me the graphics look like a child MS paint'ed some pictures together and then changed the color to something odd. All in all, if it is possible drakkar should be 8 bit again or at least given the option.

Also to the people who mentioned NL laircrits not having graphics, It is not entierly true I have found 8 bit images of NL creatures during game crashes and nods (even some that are not even in the game)

flisk
Admin
Admin
Title: King of Drakkar

Post by flisk »

is it that you guys want the 8 bit graphics but maintain the technical background of the 24 bit (quirks, NL discs, etc)?

Is that what this is about, just the way the game used to look with the 8 bit graphics?