Barb or Pally?

General User Chat
Yswryth

Barb or Pally?

Post by Yswryth »

I've been wondering, as I start my new account, new character, blah blah blah... should I create a new barb, or paladin... or something else?

What I'm looking at is the possibility of a bow barb ... or bow pally. With a bow barb, I know I can zerk, and attack things across the other side of the screen; however, I would lose the damage I would get, if I were to go with something more traditional, like the halberd. A bow pally would be an interesting concept; pretty awesome, even. But, I don't know if a pally can parry while holding a bow..!

So, if anyone could help me with my dilema; give me some pointers, advice, whatever.. it would be greatly appreciated (even though my newfangled characters have no way of repaying you) ... .. It's the thought that counts..!

So, should I be a bow barb, bow pally, or something else..?

Kiya138

Replying to Topic 'Barb or Pally?'

Post by Kiya138 »

Problem I can see with bow is cannot charge

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

i think you can charge with bow at skill 15.

Doro what do you think?

*Merlz*
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Doro

Post by Doro »

I have only played a very small amount with bow so far, it's something I will do in the future.

Yes you can charge with a bow at skill 15.
Yes you can hold a shield and charge with bow.
Yes you can belt shield for a ranged shot.

All very fancy, but, you will not be able to charge across the screen when you start your crit due to move rates, agil etc . . .

Due to weapons skill having such a big effect in the game, I am finding more blocks from simple armour than from a bow, it does block, but how much at higher levels I don't know.

There is already a debate (or was) about barbs and their use in the end scenario, there is no doubt a Pally is very powerful in NL. Think of the long game and decide or think of the short term and have fun with your crit.

Um, why do I feel I was suckered into replying here? ho ho

On a side note, I have noticed a big attack bonus for my MA when a bow (with adds) is held in left hand while attacking, so is not all bad news.
Last edited by Doro on Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ho

Sadie

Post by Sadie »

ummmm...will be kinda a waste of skill dont ya think since there is no killer bow? or did I miss that one?
Ssusprina_ZAND

"All that will ever matter in this life is the differance you make in a life of a child"

Tee

Post by Tee »

I prefer to be a pally , but bow pally isnt good i wouldnt think , more likey a theif would use bow , if you going to be pally do ls or hally , for barb hally or mace would be the best i think
Money is either a good or bad influence according to the character of the person who posses it.... remember that you character is your destiny!

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

Pallys can use their focii with bow skill.

Problem with bows for pallys or barbs is they just don't hit very hard.

There are nice throw weapons in nork and great ones in cob and they work well for zerked barbarians.

I have not gotten my pally throw skill up high enough to see if focii would work. I kind of think it won't work as it will probably try to use the melee skill of the throw weapon.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard
Avatar (C) WIlliam Li: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/w/i/william/
KaM Guild Website: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ctanzio/kam.html

Stormwind

Post by Stormwind »

Originally posted by Yswryth

I've been wondering, as I start my new account, new character, blah blah blah... should I create a new barb, or paladin... or something else?

What I'm looking at is the possibility of a bow barb ... or bow pally. With a bow barb, I know I can zerk, and attack things across the other side of the screen; however, I would lose the damage I would get, if I were to go with something more traditional, like the halberd. A bow pally would be an interesting concept; pretty awesome, even. But, I don't know if a pally can parry while holding a bow..!

So, if anyone could help me with my dilema; give me some pointers, advice, whatever.. it would be greatly appreciated (even though my newfangled characters have no way of repaying you) ... .. It's the thought that counts..!

So, should I be a bow barb, bow pally, or something else..?
Start with a pally, but only to use them to gear and coin your Mentalist.

Only thing tin cans are good for <G>

-Stormwind
"Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you."

Migam

Post by Migam »

Why is it that when I saw the phrase "tin cans", I knew without looking who posted it? ;)

Hmmph, you know you favor pallies especially haladins. Big sticks may good roadblocks :| .

Tin Can Man (harrumph)
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Stormwind

Post by Stormwind »

Roadblock? naw... dragonbait maybe <g>
"Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you."