Dropping like flies

General User Chat
Eva

Dropping like flies

Post by Eva »

It seems that every other post is a "farewell" posts. I wonder what it is about Drakkar that makes people play for so long and then just quit.

Stormwind

Replying to Topic 'Dropping like flies'

Post by Stormwind »

Its the nature of most online games. People go through "phases" or need breaks or life just gets too busy. People are constantly coming and going. Many who leave eventually come back, but sometimes they don't.
"Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you."

Merry

Post by Merry »

Maybe its because the game is going downhill in so many ways.

It use to be that you could take pride in your crit for all the work you did.
The many hours/days/weeks of skilling and experiencing in cob to max them.
The risk, excitement, and feeling of accomplishment when you did a lair and earned your gear.

Now people just take their small crits to nameless and like magic they are huge in no time at all. They can get experience levels in just a day in dornar/and skill levels in a day in forgottens. Maybe only crits over a certain level should be allowed in nameless....

And it seems that for the right price you can buy almost any gear you want.....

And if you abuse the game and use bugs you can dupe weapons and bloods to make your progress easier.

I know I havent been in the game as long as some...but I have been since IEN days.
I always took pride in my main crit for no one has ever been given my password and she is a creation of only my time and sweat. But now it seems it means nothing.

Merry

Ambrose
Title: Always Right

Post by Ambrose »

I understand, Merry ... and I agree with you ...

Growing my crits meant something to me ... even if it meant nothing to everyone else. The number of "recipe" crits out there has got me feeling that it was just my imagination that it "meant" anything at all.

Yes, I am old fashioned and I am clearly NOT a hard-core gamer. I pay my taxes, I diet & exercise rather than taking a pill for it, when changing my mind about something in my shopping cart, I bring it to where I got it.

*Ambrose buys a round for his fellow disenchanted Drakkarians

Andramelk
Title: Groovy

Replying to Topic 'D

Post by Andramelk »

for me it was the mindless grinding, got tideous :|
Last edited by Andramelk on Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Migam

Post by Migam »

Much smaller and newer players have passed me through all the methods mentioned or not mentioned. I am not going to let it disenchant me in refernce to my crits. I could sit in a room in Dornar doing nothing, actively MS FS ancients or gain exp through regular hunting. Their choice, my choice. My largest of 4 active Cob slots is now exp 34 and I have been playing since just before the iEN gave up Drakkar. But I take pride in growing my crits at my pace. That, the dupers, scripters, pk'ers and round-the-clock grunting acct sharers cannot take away from me :) .

Don't let it eat at you. Enjoy the game and choose to hunt with those that share your phiosophy of gaming. If your guild condones or allows those types in, re-evaluate your guild as well as your principles and see which wins out ;) .
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Doro

Post by Doro »

I am sooo tempted to add something in here, but those that know me also know my thoughts on account sharing and burning for experience.

I am not sure why I am posting here, but felt I should also say something in support to Merry and Ambrose.

We all play the game as we see fit for our own pleasure, we take pride in what we do for many reasons.
ho

Eva

Post by Eva »

I agree with you Andramelk this game just has too much grinding. If they aren't going to save the game they need to pick up the pace of the game.

Pipes87

Post by Pipes87 »

i don't think the pace needs any picking up... i think it needs changing but not picking up. i think the way in which you get skill and xp needs to be less boring. Yes i can sit in dornar for hours and gain massive xp or i could go to ud2 and gain less xp but be sitting there hiting one button over and over (EC macro) or i could go to ud1 and click on the same types of guys over and over. On the other hand it would be nice if there was another way. a way that didn't involve just killing things, like if figuring something out was worth actual rewards to your character. if there were more quests that aren't just posted on a site for everyone to see and different quests for different classes maybe so that my healer and my ment aren't doing the same stuff but hitting different buttons. i just think there should be more thinking and less grunting involved even with if it was slower to gain levels as long as the fastest way to gain levels and skill isn't to sit and watch my ment friend burn and then kill a bunch of ghosted guys
~Idun_____FATE

Tanuvien

Post by Tanuvien »

Something I think needs to be changed to make the game more fun and challenging (like it was back in 1997 when I first started playing) ... put level requirements on more items. Back when I first started playing, I couldnt buy a lair. I had to work my crit up in level (xp/skill) and actually go on the lair hunts for the items I wanted. It annoys me today to see new players running around in sliths/bnrs/etc.

True, this wouldnt stop the level grinding. But it would add something to look forward to in addition to new levels/new abilities.

Kanak

Post by Kanak »

Originally posted by Merry

Maybe its because the game is going downhill in so many ways.

It use to be that you could take pride in your crit for all the work you did.
The many hours/days/weeks of skilling and experiencing in cob to max them.
The risk, excitement, and feeling of accomplishment when you did a lair and earned your gear.

Now people just take their small crits to nameless and like magic they are huge in no time at all. They can get experience levels in just a day in dornar/and skill levels in a day in forgottens. Maybe only crits over a certain level should be allowed in nameless....

And it seems that for the right price you can buy almost any gear you want.....

And if you abuse the game and use bugs you can dupe weapons and bloods to make your progress easier.

I know I havent been in the game as long as some...but I have been since IEN days.
I always took pride in my main crit for no one has ever been given my password and she is a creation of only my time and sweat. But now it seems it means nothing.

Merry

I AGREE 100%

Anarion

Post by Anarion »

My two reasons for choosing Drakkar over other games used to be that the community was great and i could be on AIM at the same time. Over time I began to realize the community wasn't all that great. Then my friend gave me a 10 day free trial to World of Warcraft and I realize the community was much better. That only left that I could play AIM at the same time, and personally, i thought that was a very lame reason for choosing a game, and... I left.

saucon21

Post by saucon21 »

The Question is why Does anyone stay? I hear alot of i say for the commiuty and such but as you can tell the people in DZ are going and will not look back. Yes a few may coem back, but the good percent of them will try there hand at more time in the RL or other games, in which does not take so much of your time up. The game itself will always draw some players jsut because it starts out as a free game, but most of them will not stay around to long

Maybe the Game was great and Wonderful years ago when alot of game took a decent about of time to get anywhere or do Anything. Times have changed I rather enjoy logging into Wow and being able to know i can do something Alone if need be. While in DZ i felt like i always needed a group to get any good skill or Exp, and without one i felt as it was worthless to even try. On top of it i got to the point is was like a second job. Brad is not going to change the game. This is what it is, No way around it. Make the Game harder to level or Skill no one new will play. Make it even easier and the older players will end up leaving.

There are so many other games out there, maybe more players should try them out and see if they like it or not.

Now for my Shameless Plug

Come play WOW, i am on the Dalaran Server :p
Last edited by saucon21 on Mon May 16, 2005 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rygar

Post by Rygar »

Alot of long time players, are playing wow. Some of them, have quit paying for drakkar. imo wow is the best game to come out since the original everquest.

Some long time players are rumored to be playing a game, simular to Lok.

The formar is $15 a month, no extra's to pay for, the latter is rumored to be free. You do the math.

Time will tell if players will return or not. I would guess some will return eventually. Wow is very solo friendly, with plenty of group content, and pvp if you arn't a wimp and on a pve server.

Drakkar penalizes the solo player, or rather gives a hefty bonus for group play, and this is much more noticable than any other game I currently play.

Rygar
Last edited by Rygar on Thu May 19, 2005 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lalasushi

Post by lalasushi »

LOK is back, in a new incarnation, most of my guild has forsaken drakkar for this new incarnation lol. unless brad does something soon, he will lose my subscription as well
Last edited by lalasushi on Thu May 19, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharp

Post by Sharp »

*Rant*
If you played back in IEN you can not hate the lvl/skill system in DZ. It makes you an idiot because you wanted it without thinking of the concequences. I've played since MPGN had drakkar. I loved it. My highest char in those years is 22/20 You guys wanted DZ now deal with it. Just be warned, if Brad can make COB a monthly pay for everyone, he will do it for nameless even if you have payed the $50. Alot of people leave because its too easy to get where you want and then go to other games saying "Yeah I wuz 63/30 then it just got sainx lolz I play WoW" Yet you only stayed in a few spots. Not many have ever made the actuall run to most norken lairs. theirs people over level 50 who do not even know the way to get to uther with out MT. You get bored because you never explored, just sat in one place and clicked fifty million times. People sell gear because you have to buy HP, easy way to make 10 mill is sell lairs.

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

Overwhelming changes are good only if there are overwhelming additions. With new system for gaining skill and exp there MUST be a way one could use these in all scenarios, so there must be new content added to all scenarios.

There should be gains in all parts of the game for all characters, even for level 50 in -1N, it just needs to be redused to very small and increase as level of difficulty becomes more. There can also be a big gap between appropriate level for the character and all lower levels, with all lower levels produsing just a fraction of gains, but keeping it still usefull in some minor way like on that famed -1N one would get 5 points instead of 50 if one were to step on a local Orc...

In terms or pricing, i would rather understand if one could pay for "game" rather then per section content/bonus wise. Then as you grow in the game you could go to other parts of it and progress and go deeper and more far as you play.

Should be all possible at $10 per month flat fee. Or some rather. ($9.99 will do just fine as well).

Graphics need to be not pretending to be *almost* 3D but not quite, but rather something original and unique, VERY much based on what older Drakkar graphics look like, not a mushed remotely similiar version with some good details and some rather unfortunate.

I personaly liked very much "Pub" system that was available on older versions of Drakkar it provided for a nice chat experience, with ability to customize your nick and be logged into forums in same time. Somehow program did not seem to be very big by today's standarts, but that's just me. Many people hated Pub, and i myself used "webpage start" for the game for over a year at one pont for no particular reason at all...

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

Originally posted by Sharp
*Rant*
theirs people over level 50 who do not even know the way to get to uther with out MT. You get bored because you never explored,
I think that all, i mean ALL lairs that require quest for the entry should not be possible to MT in. It should be a qest, an enchant, a portal where to trade your rock golem armor, anything, it has to be followed through, or it becomes redundant.

In same time items required for quests should not be hard to find, they can all the same be put in difficult areas. Fire planes is a good example...

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

Huh? What? Oh. I'm playing WoW, because I can always FEEL the progress and competitiveness. I am able to compete. But in Drakkar, I did not feel the progress nor competitiveness; it was futile to keep up with blitzing players.

I'd call them zombies, because that is what they are; not caring about the game at all, only their insatiable hunger for growth and items (food).

WoW is so much different; you have so many options - you know their crafting system; heck, I take pleasure even in fishing, although it may be seen as tedious and boring. But go out and ask a real fisherman, why is he fishing?

Because it is relieving the stress and bringing peace into one.

By grunting (grinding in WoW), you only take the fast lane and get stressed. By questing, that is taking quests for the first time and actually following the plot, your interest is alive; and before you realize it, you have made a few levels. You go to bed with a smile on your lips.

And at level 60, you realize you want to try that other race, other class, even other faction - because each one is a different gaming experience. Then there are lvl 60 instances that are equally challenging for all classes and races.

I know I will get bored of this, but for now it is so awesome I wonder how come I played Drakkar for years, yet it had not changed much and all was grunting and such...

The charm is in journey to the goal, not the goal itself.
Mihey__PHNX

ZhouYu
Title: Paladin of AWESOME

Post by ZhouYu »

Mihey, I really could not agree more, and I can't really add anything to your post.
The music I want to hear is once again, whispered in my ear.

Sevatear

Post by Sevatear »

Well after playing this game for roughly 4 years, it came to a point where the developers basically stopped caring about the customers. Instead of focusing on the bugs that were mentioned, they were focused on SYSOP events, or other junk. It gets really boring when you can only grow in on specific area and that area is bugged beyond playing conditions. I personally stuck it out for 6 months, but after that and a constant response of "I'll look into it." from Brad and no further updates, I was out of here. While JIHAD did burn through the content rather quickly, the end result was a group of customers who just became fed up with the LACK of service they were receiving. Players don't want constantly new content, they want content that is of a high quality. I think that's where the ball was dropped.
I don't discriminate, I hate everyone.

Sharp

Post by Sharp »

Drakkar was just like WOW in its own time, just now that the pace is too hard to drop so easilly. The same will happen to WOW. it will get explored you will get to a high level and become a machine or find a good exp spot and become a machine. Saying WOW is better then drak is wrong and drak was better in the long run since their are already people who are near the highest level in WOW already and its been out for 18(?) years less then Drak. Look at D2, how many of you have played it got level 90+'s and then quit it because all you did was kill poor little cowies.

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

Sevatear, Drakkar only has one or two programmers of whose only one is hardcore (for bugs fixing and such), while the sysops cannot fix buges. And guess what can they do instead? Host events!

Do not blame them for doing something they can or not doing something they cannot.
Mihey__PHNX

Sevatear

Post by Sevatear »

I think what I said was "nice" when it comes to my thoughts on the SYSOPs. Regardless, you missed the whole first part of the post.
I don't discriminate, I hate everyone.

Anarion

Post by Anarion »

Originally posted by Sharp

Drakkar was just like WOW in its own time, just now that the pace is too hard to drop so easilly. The same will happen to WOW. it will get explored you will get to a high level and become a machine or find a good exp spot and become a machine. Saying WOW is better then drak is wrong and drak was better in the long run since their are already people who are near the highest level in WOW already and its been out for 18(?) years less then Drak. Look at D2, how many of you have played it got level 90+'s and then quit it because all you did was kill poor little cowies.
You are right to say that Drak takes longer to reach the highest lvl, if that's what u look for in a game than good for you. And FYI, in WoW, you do quest to gain xp largely rather than only killling for xp.