Uniqueness

General User Chat
Crusher

Uniqueness

Post by Crusher »

Is it possible to add a warning in the roller saying that a certain name is already taken. Say I want to roll a character named Hulk, for example. I type in Hulk and press accept. I get a pop-up saying "WARNING: This name is currently used, click 'Okay' to continue or click 'Back' to re-enter your name."
This may prevent future conflicts for people with the same name by warning the people that

Reason? There is a lower level barb in cob named Crusher, without a STORM tag. Multiple times have I received PM's asking for room in a party or to move somewhere or something. Just recently someone PM'd me thinking the untagged Crusher was me. The PM was about joining a guild. Comments?
You'll never win... PLEAD INSANITY!

Andramelk
Title: Groovy

Replying to Topic 'Uniqueness'

Post by Andramelk »

i agree, once i seen another andramelk, rather irratating, it has my vote :|
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Northview

Replying to Topic 'U

Post by Northview »

Although i seriously doubt anyone else will name their character northview...or kenmore..or maytag...or any other god awful household appliance...im for it also.
Last edited by Northview on Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arithawn

Post by Arithawn »

ahh but north everyone needs a good maytag : )
Arithawn

Yeti

Post by Yeti »

hehe, i dont think it would help with all them darn imposters that are running around ice floes or up in my caves in cob, but im still all for the idea :D

-Yeti
If Practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, then why practice?
If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t more people happy?
What are those little things on the end of your shoelaces called?
and finally...

If money is the root of all evil then how come churches ask for it?

Seville1

Post by Seville1 »

Howdy All!
I am all for the Uniqueness idea. Some other online games (yes, there are others) such as DAOC have the same format to prevent others from dirting their supposed good names. If it can be implemented, it will prevent a lot of hard feelings.
Seville1 yep there is only 1.
If i didn't say it before.... Howdy! :)

Anarion

Post by Anarion »

Well that's true in drak :p (im sure you know of the town). Anyway, im all for this, I really don't like taking others names (in drak that is, i love stealing names from other stuff mainly middle earth/LOTR names).
Last edited by Anarion on Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambrose
Title: Always Right

Post by Ambrose »

The first thing I told my very young friend is that just because the crit name is "Ambrose" or "Scott" that doesn't mean it is me ... confirm in pm in lobby.

I like original names ... but as the world grows, the unique names become sparce ... I'd like to be the only Scott in real life ... but that isn't gonna happen ... guild tags help ... like a last name ...

I absolutely do not want to end up with crits with numbers after names ..

Kanak

Post by Kanak »

There are simply too many dupes to stop this completely.
And some folks until they see the folly because of the macro structurte like all thier crits with the same name.

Money making oppertunity!:p

Allow folks to register names for say $10 per year (Gold members $5/year). The roller could check the registered list and block duplicates of those names.

This would allow you to protect your GOOD name without alot of over head ie(checking all names / which names are no longer used etc) Some names of historic great legends should be protected even if they no longer play. These would be added at no cost except for the years and years of dedication and contribution to the game and community.

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch »

are you brad??
"It is white."
- George W. Bush, when asked what the White house was like by a student in East London

Ambrose
Title: Always Right

Post by Ambrose »

Originally posted by Kanak

There are simply too many dupes to stop this completely.
And some folks until they see the folly because of the macro structurte like all thier crits with the same name.

Money making oppertunity!:p

Allow folks to register names for say $10 per year (Gold members $5/year). The roller could check the registered list and block duplicates of those names.

This would allow you to protect your GOOD name without alot of over head ie(checking all names / which names are no longer used etc) Some names of historic great legends should be protected even if they no longer play. These would be added at no cost except for the years and years of dedication and contribution to the game and community.
One's "good" name is relative .. and not a function of one's ability to pay ... how about the roller keeping a list ... all repeated names to go into list with the DZ account name?