Bad places to disintegrate

General User Chat
GhodMode

Bad places to disintegrate

Post by GhodMode »

Can we have a vote on places in which it should not be possible to disintegrate the walls? I've been PK'd at least 4 times by people disintegrating the walls in n-5. I've tried only hunting in alt 2. I thought the players might be smarter, or at least more considerate there, but I've had no luck. I don't really see a point in reporting players for PKing when it was not due to malicious intent, but just to negligence and stupidity.

If you would rather we report these situations than fix the problem, I have a list of names and screenshots. :(

GhodMode

King

Replying to Topic 'Bad places to disintegrate'

Post by King »

My thought on it is...disint is a spell and its normally not used to intentionally kill people. The people that have killed you probably do not mean to and unless it is malicious intent on the PK i dont think it illegal. Disint naturally has possibility to kill people as well as SW, and by naturally ALL area skills or 1 hex skills like EC and FS. Trying to make disint impossible to blow up walls would just be plain stupid. People who hunt with Disint normally are not that big and naturally should be hunting in N-5 or some other places. Disint helps gather larger zoos for more and faster kills making the skilling process go faster. Also there is disint bracers that some may use on a smaller character to speed exp growth and it may be used in a small area and unintentionally killing newer and smaller players in the process. If u cant handle a disint blast, dont stand next to the walls! Also it normally works to talk to the person using the spell so u can make some sort of boundry so u or the disinter dont go past it and you end up getting killed. Thats my thought on it i guess...that really did hurt trying to think all that up u know -.-

Ambrose
Title: Always Right

Post by Ambrose »

Ghodmode,
You are not wrong ... out-voted perhaps ... but not wrong. Just because the law of Drakkar will not rebuke the negligent pk'r, it does not mean that it is alright.

King,
I am sorry ... but I feel you are wrong. Disint is not necessary, it is merely easier. There is no excuse for killing other players by casting disintegrate. It is NOT the responsibility of a casual hunter to avoid your disint disc. It should not be the job of the person killed by negligence to work out hunt area boundaries ... the ment should have scouted the area and respected the other players' hunt area.

Players should take responsibility for their actions ... and when they won't we should hold them responsible.

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ambrose, do you even cross streets?

Dragonslayer

Post by Dragonslayer »

i agree with ambrose here :)

although there is a diffirence between delliberatly running between walls to get blown up, or be killed while passing trough.
Dragonslayer of PHNX

Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

If I cross a street and someone hits me, there are lawyers. The law says they are responsible. I don't even know what you think your point is ...

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

My point is you play a game where dragons try to eat you, nearly everywhere you go npc's try to kill you, but OMG if it's a human instead of a dated AI on the other side of that threat then all bets are off.

Please SYSOP protect me, protect me.

I've noticed you complain about thieves, etiquette, and now much to a good belly laugh disintegrators. Perhaps you should instead be playing a solo game where you would not be so inundated with the horrors of humanity. Grow a spine and start worrying about your own actions and stop nit picking any and every thing players do that might possibly cause you to lose some hit points or replaceable loot.

Kanak

Post by Kanak »

Ambrose its hard today to recover the damages to fix the car just because someone was carless and ran in front of a moving vehicle. After all, it is easier to stop a nimble person than a 4000 pound car. :p joke:p

I don't want to live in a land of mass player murder and would hope that the community is both curtious and ressponsible. That said, I agree with Fenris. The possibility of any player interaction lends depth to the game. Reporting tiny incidents just makes sysops stressed out baby sitters. The community itself can encourage civil play. Abusive players are a different breed and prime sysop fodder.

I was always partial to the player control measure found on another island. To prevent irresponsible play and prevent an out of control PvP agressive player kills (by accident or purpose) accumulated points. Three points and Black Vortex - Thunder Clap (automatic game lock). Note no stressed sysops. In accidents you could request forgiveness from the offended party; possibly requiring a bribe. However the reckless and the rude never knew, if an offense was so egregious, that a larger player might spend a point in defense of community values (ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT).

You can not program morality. Given wide program constraints, the Drakkar community will live up to the past reputation that has made the game unique and enjoyable.

We learn good manners and some require a nudge in the direction of common sense. Remind players of digressions and nudge those who are slow to learn (with carrots and sticks; as a community). If a player irritates others he will eventually suffer from lack of help, friends and at some point will be handed his head on a pike.

Should N5 be blown up during prime play time? I would say no - its rude. But if I were killed several times from this; I probably would not be big enough for the level yet.
Last edited by Kanak on Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Please read the early posts,

Noone said program morally. I am merely looking for an agreement among players as to WHAT is moral ... and responded to Ghodmode ... who wanted to know if we can agree on a place that it is NOT okay to blow walls at whim regardless of consequences.

Re: the sum of my principles as indicated by the topics of my posts ... I do not play a fantasy roleplaying game so that I may behave as LESS of a man than I do in real life. Perhaps that does mean I should be in a solo game without interaction. But I believe I will stay awhile Fenris. If that is okay with you .. and no ... I'm not asking.

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

It's quite all right with me for you to stay as long as you like.

However you will be judged by the sum of your interactions, both in the game and on the forums. I have created my opinion of you based almost entirely on what you have posted. I for one don't like how Drakkar has become the cry-to-sysop version that it is now. We used to have another code of justice and enforced it within the player community rather than whine about every little player squabble.

Now that said there is a place for Sysops and game-op intervention. Your threshold for it versus mine is incredibly different. You have every right to post your opinion and I have every right to retort.

Happy hunting.

Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

It is astounding to me that you type in the same language as I, but you seem not to understand it ....

you say "We used to have another code of justice and enforced it within the player community ... "

after I say "I am merely looking for an agreement among players as to WHAT is moral .." and after I have said "Players should take responsibility for their actions ... and when they won't we should hold them responsible."

and lastly, so as not to bore those who got it the first time ... "I am not looking for a GAME rule, but for a player's rule."

Frankly, your opinion of me .. as based on posts that you have clearly failed to understand ... does not worry me.

But this goal of mine for player co-operation was clearly a mistake. The lack of response from other players has shown me this ... not your responses.

Doro

Post by Doro »

Today I had the very great pleasure of watching a Ment destroy walls in n-6.

They made sure that their party wasn't damaged when the walls blew.
They called out more than once BEFORE each destruction.

Someone had taught them and taught them well.

We just need players to care and watch out for each other.

Bickering gets us nowhere.

So, to Destiny and her Ment friend (I am sorry I forgot your name, it's an age thing you know) well done and I was glad to help you on your way to becomming great players.
ho

Yeti

Post by Yeti »

the current "whine-to-sysop" version of drak is largely because the Sysops seem to want it that way... you take care of any little squabble you have had by yourself and you get to fight with sysops for hours about it, whee.

-Yeti, the miffed
If Practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, then why practice?
If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t more people happy?
What are those little things on the end of your shoelaces called?
and finally...

If money is the root of all evil then how come churches ask for it?