Picking up too many gems

General User Chat
levyr

Picking up too many gems

Post by levyr »

Scenario: you're in a lair. You start to bag a stack of 21 gems (shift-slide stack from right column of ground-view screen to sack). After about 5 have gone, 16 to go, the lair crit shows up and starts beating on you. No moving or drinking until the gems are all sacked! Is it possible to interrupt the "put pile in sack" command?

Related question, not so critical as the one above: looking at a pile of gems in the right-hand column of the ground-view screen. Sometimes if I click-drag a gem from the pile to the sack WITHOUT HOLDING THE SHIFT KEY only one gem will transfer (as expected). Other times the whole stack will begin transferring, and I'm back into the first scenario. What causes the difference? Why only one sometimes, and the whole stack other times? Remember, in this scenario, I do not hold shift key.

Thanks, all, for your help.

--Levyr

levyr

Replying to Topic 'Picking up too many gems'

Post by levyr »

Tirith, thanks for your comments.

In reply to:
Originally posted by Tirith

In scenario one, it is often helpful to kill the lair crit before looting.
I'd like to clarify that I'm not going around being a pest, looting other people's lairs, etc. I do from time to time visit lairs I have no hope of defeating, and using different combinations of luring and timing and etc., do some gem looting. Is this unacceptable? For example, I've heard the hally giant has often been incensed to find that while he's off killing some trespassers at one end of his domain, someone has looted the other end.

If this is unacceptable, I need to know.

And I'd still like any answer as to how to interrupt a "move pile" command.

thanks again!

--Levyr

levyr

Post by levyr »

Rygar,

I do my best to be a good citizen. I believe I earn what I'm after. If what I'm doing is wrong, I'll stop. But...do you mean to suggest that I should kill all the lair crits before looting multi-lair?

I can stand toe-to-toe with hally giant or siiver dragon. Death in these places is rare for me. I can fight -- but winning would be a very long battle with risks I'm not prepared to shoulder alone at this time.

Methinks the Multi-Lair Tourist Authority would be hard hit if your philosophy was implemented.

I appreciate your help.

--Levyr

Shaddai

Post by Shaddai »

If a party kills a lair crit and its been looted, you just robbed them of their spoils
That's a bit much I think. All the lairs that I can think of the lair occupant holds the item everyone is after until it's death (or its a corpse to skin). The gems and trash on the 3x3 lair hexes are never the reason to kill it. Granted I've not done half the lairs in the game so there may be some where the stuff that spawns on the ground with the lair mob is highly sought after, but I doubt it... I'm not saying its a nice thing to do, but it's never bothered my when I entered a lair that someone scooped up the coins/gems, I'm there for the fight.

Plus where else is my barb gonna get a pack full of resp helms to break if I don't wander around multi? :)

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

Game policy: if untied loot is on the floor, its up for grabs. That said, there is a more stringent game etiquette most people voluntarily follow. But there is disagreement about lair looting.

Alternate opinion on lair looting:

If no one is actually doing the lair, then it is perfectly acceptable to loot it without bothering to kill the lair beast.

In fact, it is my considered opinion that the thief class can, does and SHOULD actively loot, steal and otherwise rob the denizens of the dungeons every chance they get! To do otherwise would be unthiefly!

They should pop any remaining junk and leave the floor squeeky clean to finish the theft in grand style!

OTOH, I have had clueless players walk into a lair I was actively fighting and start clearing out the loot piles without asking. This is very bad form and in each case was suitably rewarded by me stepping out of the lair and having the dragons make a quick meal out of them. >vveg<
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard
Avatar (C) WIlliam Li: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/w/i/william/
KaM Guild Website: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ctanzio/kam.html

levyr

Post by levyr »

I appreciate the comments and clarifications on lair looting. I agree with the last posts, and for the record, I'd never loot a lair someone else was fighting. Or was just entering to fight. Or had just fought.

But it was foolish of me to mention a lair because it was then inevitable that the thread would hijack. I was hoping not for a discussion on the ethics of lair looting but for someone to reveal a way to interrupt the "move pile" command. Maybe that simply can't happen.

But let me phrase it like this: after a hard day of stringently ethical fighting/looting, I'm in the SF with 52 Stans before me. I enter the command to drain all 52, one after the other without stopping, straight down my parched gullet. On my 12th Stan, in walks a thirsty Brad, momentarily penniless, and offers me untold wonders if I'd just buy him one drink. How can I interrupt the Stan gulping to buy him a one before he gives up in frustration, walks away, and notes my name in a horrible black record book?

You see that this is serious beyond all lair-looting discussion!

--Levyr

Tooey

Post by Tooey »

Hi Ya
the only way i know of that cancels it is to slam but this can be risky because good old brady might walk away. It may be wise not to start drinking at your age or guess what you will be like when you get to old age :D

I dont think their is any ther way soz mate.

See You Soon

Tooey of MoY

makoosh2

Post by makoosh2 »

Esc clears the command buffer...

Magician___ASH, The usefull but dangerous mentalist.
Makooooooooooshie

GhostGuest

Post by GhostGuest »

Esc. may indeed clear the comand buffer, but from personal experiance, i can tell ya that once ya start "drinking" , or whatever applies, it continues till all selected ones are " done". It seems to me that by dragging a bunch of something to somewhere creates something of a "do all" command,... that is to say it becomes ONE comand till are are moved. Least thats the only way i can explain why esc dont work when ya do that " drag all " thing.
AKA: Woodenkarl, Sparksenblade, Aspex, Brainless, Stickums, Lessmental and Feingurs
Hhhmmmmmmmm............
3Y's 11E's 3H's 11A's

levyr

Post by levyr »

My thanks, all. I guess I'll simply have to moderate my drinking. Never a bad solution!

I appreciate the help. --Levyr

ikar

Post by ikar »

ESC wont stop picking up gems , tried when sack was full.