Life in the fast lane?

General User Chat
Doro

Life in the fast lane?

Post by Doro »

Here in the UK we have many different types of road to drive on.

From the Motorway (Freeway) to the small quiet lanes that meander between little villages.

The choice we have is to go helter-skelter as fast as we can to our destination or simply to enjoy the drive out in the country.

It occurs to me that Drakkar can be the same in many ways.

You can belt along at 100mph to get to the end of the road as fast as you can or take your time, leisurely winding your way enjoying the scenery as you go. You may even wave to other drivers and give then a cheery smile as you go along.

'Sunday afternoon drivers' are there to enjoy the ride, 'Sales Reps' to meet their deadlines and meet their customers on time.

You can see the similarity?

Are you a racing driver who simply must hit your targets regardless or a plodder who doesn't much care, but is there for the fun of it?

Many players choose to swap lanes on a Motorway moving into the fast lane for a while. Many never even join the Motorway in the first place.

And so to my message . . . We are here for different things, if you reach your 50/30 goal doesn't mean you are better, never maxing your level 13 crit doesn't mean you are worse than the player next to you. We have different ways of enjoying the game.

How many 50/30 players have you seen who only arely use their crits, choosing to shelve them as currently they have no way to get bigger/better.

Would I like to max my Healer? My head says "yes", but my heart says "no", I see a future for him, I enjoy all the Healer skills and play him often, do the 50/30s?

The future of Drakkar has yet to be defined, but I would still enjoy the game even if all my slots were wiped, some players would be hearbroken.

How do you play the game?
What are your goals?
Why have you chosen to play the game in the way you have?

Doro___ASH (Sir)
ho

Longbeard

Replying to Topic 'Life in the fast lane?'

Post by Longbeard »

Got to say, Doro is one of most pleasant people I have met while walking lands of the realm.

I myself am not even close to being a nice person :P anyhow, it is quite important I think that you view your friendships as important and by extension all of your communications as memorable, by some one, somewhere...

Having had some health problem I was confined to pretty much spending time after work at home, but even after I have recovered I have never abandoned Drakkar for friends I made here are all very nice people.

Helping them and hanging around makes my time in Drakkar when i play(i promise to be back soon :) a pleasure, maxing did not really enter my mind as a goal of sorts, things continue growing if you play in challenging areas though, so can't avoid it eventually!

purg

Post by purg »

I have switched lanes so many times its not funny. I usually hit the fast way as soon as I get a major piece of gear. Reggies. FP. +7Hally. Pally Gaunts. and so on. Then once the shine of my new item has worn a little, i slide back into the country lanes and enjoy the ride. I know as of late I have been leaving pot holes in the road, making it hard for some people to drive, and I wont go into that here, but I do offer a few apologies for the ways I have been acting and most likely act in the future.

I guess my goal would be, just to get to lvl 20/ skill 18. That is a goal I have been looking forward to for awhile.

I have learned alot from alot of my fellow players. I also hope I have taught a few of the newer players. *the good things mind you, not the bad things hehe* I also hope the friends that I have known and cared for, will always be around.

HH & GL All :)

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

Well put Doro! Different people enjoy different things about the game, that's one of the things that makes Drakkar so cool.

Some like to powerlevel, some like to solo lairs, some like to chat, etc. It's all good :>
Check out the new KAM website! :)
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ctanzio/kam.html

Valarc

Post by Valarc »

I like to DP
Valarc___STORM, usually found in #storm on irc, and in the pillar room in cob

**Excerpt from an actual Lobby chat session**

chance: does valarc eva leave game
Brad: valarc is an NPC
Brad: didnt you know that?

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

In all the best places. Right Val? lol

I take the country roads myself. Much prefer the scenery to rushing down the highway like a mad man. ;)

Duncan_STORM

koenigzauberer

Post by koenigzauberer »

reminds me of an old saying... paths are for journeys, not destinations

i suppose i just take my time playing. i've got over two years of playing invested in my main crit so prefer leisurely hunting and skilling with little risk of death. that gets me nowhere quickly, but it's still progress. reaching 50/30 was a goal of mine, but it seems that will soon mean no more than when i had reached 18/16. i assume i'll never be the "biggest" in drakkar - there are many people with many more years playing than i have. one day i would like to somehow "make my mark" on drakkar... perhaps a tomb stone with my name in a future dungeon or the next evil manifestation of the SYSOPs calling me out by name before slaughtering me :P

it's the people that make a difference and are the reason i play the way i do. here's a great example. during the first couple months i was playing, i met up with a german guy who assumed i was german because of my crit's name. since i speak some german, i was happy to chat in german for the practice. not long afterward, another player came by and joined into our conversation. this third person turned out to be an american woman who spent time in germany while in the army so also spoke some german. after a while, the german guy started speaking in english so he could practice while us americans continued in german so we could practice - an interesting combination. turns out the german guy was 20 years younger than I and the american woman was nearly 15 years older than I. it's rare you see people of different generations from different countries enjoying the same thing and each other's company.

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

Aye, agreed with Doro!

Drivers who switch to the fast lane get bored fast...
Drivers who stay on the slow lane get bored as well, but they at least can admire all of the scenery, also they are slower to get bored because that.
Mihey__PHNX

Jester

Post by Jester »

my $.02 worth...

$.01: I zerk, therefore I am.
$.02: "roads? where we're going, we don't need roads."

fast lane, slow lane, or smacking the freeway a couple times with your halberd just to see if you can notch it, it's all good.

erm... $.03: smack em hard, smack em often, dance naked on their bloody corpses...

Jester
Jester

SELECT * FROM db.USERS where clue > 0
go
0 records returned...

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

... Jester,
my son,
you have learned well, and I don't have to buy you new halberds every day any longer,
time has come,
go fourth young man,
oh well, third, and second if you can ...

<Areyekuwe_ASH: sits back and relaxes by the fire>

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

OR like some of us: You can take the off-ramp after being on the highway for many miles and travel other roads.

But find your way back to that highway eventually and enjoy the new four-laning and spiffy new road signs.

dman

Post by dman »

Me, I'm a slow country lane kinda guy. That's so strange in RL I am nothing like that, I'm your typical type "A" personality. Rush here, rush there, rush everywhere and do it all yesterday. In Drak, I take it easy. Most people I started with and hunt with on a regular bases have passed me in xp and skill.

I enjoy hunting with guild mates and friends. Yea, I'm checkin the scenery. I am still puzzled by that though. 50/30 you say maybe I'll think about that after I make 18/16 :sarc
Subzero_RELM

From a world far beyond the barren waste lands the Beholder brings you the Light

Dragon

Post by Dragon »

:p i drive on the grass besides the highway, never going fast because the grass is rougher but never slowing down.

buho

Post by buho »

IMHO, what is funny in games is the travel. When you arrive the game is ended.

buho.

purg

Post by purg »

Buho, im probably just misunderstanding your post, but do you mean Funny or Funner *More Fun*

Funner isn't actually in the dictionary but its a word in the Red Neck Language lol
Sorry bout the short rambling there :)

Xavierment

Post by Xavierment »

WEll Said Doro,

I remember you saying similar words to me a couple years back. Something along the lines...Take it easy on your character, do things for yorself and the gains will be much more exciting......something like that anyways.

You are one of the assets of the community brother! One of the many reasons I returned to Drak after a brief hiatus.

Keep the words flowing!

Xavierment; the middle lane player.....

Drewstr

Post by Drewstr »

Well said Doro bro,

I can honestly say I live on the little ramp between the side roads and the highway, i can still see the beautiful scenery when i want to, but i can also blaze down the highway at over 100mph, (Grunting is the term i believe) Many people don't believe that is possible, to look at the scenery and grunt, its possible, it just means opening up a little bit and listening to the people around you. You'd be surprised at some of the amazing stories you could and will hear from your many friend. It never fails to amaze me people i thought i knew so well end up telling me so many amazing things that i never knew before. Give people a chance, you'd be surprised at the amazing things you can learn, and even the amazing things you already knew.

Just my words of wizdom...
Firestorm & Kas of ASH
Auramancer
That WOLF is up to something SINister.

buho

Post by buho »

Originally posted by purg

Buho, im probably just misunderstanding your post, but do you mean Funny or Funner *More Fun*

Funner isn't actually in the dictionary but its a word in the Red Neck Language lol
Sorry bout the short rambling there :)
Funny : causing fun (or laughter).

What "cause fun" in games is the travel.

buho.

Doro

Post by Doro »

A thread that started a year ago, still true today.

A recent post brought to mind why people play this game . . .

I recently had a chat with another player who suggested that anyone can get to 50/30 wit a little effort, many have within 2 years.

Is this what the game has become, like so many others; get as big as you can as fast as you can?

I see an obvious limit to their playing style and/or a limit to Brad's game.

There is already a 'party only' scenario (very different from what many players want).
Seems to me that if you have no rocks, you can get nowhere, so players are constantly searching for randoms? This is all second hand info, feel free to correct me as you see fit, I don't go to NL for many reasons (not sure I ever will).

I like Cob, I like Nork, they have been forsaken by Brad for many months to get NL up and running, isn't it time for fixes to existing OLD FE? It isn't like we haven't been patiently waiting!

Brad has seen his future revenue as the priority, I see MY priorities differently, I have withdrawn from my UGH subscription, seriously thinking about my Gold account now. June last year suggest a very long beta round of testing for both FE and NL?

Your comments are welcome ho ho
ho

Migam

Post by Migam »

Since I hunt solo, most of my gear is still, to date, not a big deal to get. Biggest is 1 fp, 1 uzi, 1 untied SD that was helped on or given.

I grew my pally slowly to 21/18+2 after 2 years. My MA, barb and ment grew much faster due to pally's efforts. Multistriking in UD2 and rarely dying is a thrill.

But I find myself dropping back to other slots. Already moved ment and MA to Cob and confirm what's been said before... focus on a weap minimum skill 15.
18/14 MA used EC bracers to rush to Cob but even geared with 2 Juntes, leather and Cob RD gaunts, etc (provided by pally) still kills slowly due to "low skill".
18/14 ment used FB in GL to rush to Cob (geared by pally) with highest weap skill at 6 gains ment skill only by throwing FS LS to soften then followup with enmiss/espear but has very little bang otherwise due to low weap skill, "low" ment skill and cant even get credit for thrown skill as not killed by throw.
17/13GS/12Hally/11Mace/11LS (lol) barb is slowly fighting to Cob and though skill is split between 4 diff skills while I decide which to spec and which will do best in Cob, I feel he will be the best of the 3 smaller slots. Overall skill in several weaps combined with attacks stat and skiiling more than exp gains. Could have been 17/14+1spec but that's okay. Still have 20Megs to Cob and can get GS or Hally up one more.

My goal is to achieve 4 larger slots (not necessarily 50/30) at about the same time/pace. And may open another silver plan acct to play thief and healer as well. I do foresee the boredom of achieving too much too fast. I hope the newer players figure that out before it's too late.

Migam
DancesWithFleas (free chat acct)

Edited as this was typed in a rush... should have made it briefer but had lots to say :P
Last edited by Migam on Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Dragonslayer

Post by Dragonslayer »

Both in drak and in real life i'm someone who likes to stand still and get to know a spot, and then race on when it bores me, or wait untill the spot races on befcause it's bored of me.

I usualy skill to a next skill (especialy now i get chi's, can't wait for next skill; jumpstrike!), and then go try new lairs, have fun in Aleria/mjorin, or just funking(that is NOT a bastardization of the infamous "f-word") around.
Dragonslayer of PHNX

Bubolacteus

Replying to Topic 'L

Post by Bubolacteus »

welp.... i guess i fit in the 'slow lane' category. been playing for 3.5 years now, and just recently rested my ment past 13 (took my time finding/buying eps). now at 19/14 and still wearing bd's i got as a surprise. my pally rested to 18/14 and got a nice set of fp (thanks sir boramier!), and has now helped others on levi hunts. baby barb on my second account just made it to 18/14, and wears barb standards... yeti and rak. almost all of my gear has been self acquired (not necessarily earned, some bought) but all by me. none of my crits have any power gear.... no vamps, no reggies, no sliths, not even bnr's (very unlucky at finding things). however, i must admit my baby healer and my ment both have uzi's..... and they certainly make a difference for a caster.

have yet to go to cob..... way too much of nork and aleria for me to explore yet. my ment is having a field day in GL lair and piling up coins for my other crits. barb and pally are now able to assist others with lairs and help out. just fun to participate.

anticipate i may never make 50/30 as i usually spread play around on all 6 of my crits (those mentioned plus 13/12 thief, 13/11 MA, and the 13/11 baby healer). as i play very conservatively (hate to die), i doubt i will ever be accused of being a power leveller.

despite that, have already seen many folks come and go..... miss some, not surprised at others. still.... this is my home away from home and still gives me pleasure several times a week. and i expect that to be true as i do finally grow (forget who said it was inevitable if you play long enough), all i have to do is outlive brad's creditors!

HH to my virtual family here! :p

Anchises (13/11 healer)
Bubolacteus (18/14 hally/pally)
Cecil (18/14 hally/barb)
Mordecai (13/11 MA)
Pilfer (13/12 thief)
Sarascens (19/14 ment):p
Last edited by Bubolacteus on Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.