Past Lives

General User Chat
Toasticle

Replying to Topic 'Past Lives'

Post by Toasticle »

Didn't you have to wear a moonstone ring to get into Doom Orc? Only got the Xbow once in LoK, don't really remember.

Anyone remember the name of the "player" that was always in Axe Glacier to keep it from crashing? I remember asking someone who the heck he was as he was ALWAYS there :)

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

I don't remember if a moonstone ring was needed for IoK to enter the Doom.orc lair. I never played LoK.

Moonstone rings were the subject of may rumors. The most popular was that it would give you better odds of HP gains when resting. In KoD, superstitions also abound about how to increase HP and EP gains.

KoD borrowed all sorts of nifty features from IoK, like the concept of resting. There were reasons in IoK too for delaying advancement to the next level, but it was a bit tricker to do that in IoK than in KoD. If you did something to regain all your hits and stamina, your character was automatically rested up to the next level. Players typically kept their stamina low so they could drink a balm to heal all damage and not trigger the auto-rest.

Axe Glacier was subject to a subtle xeroxing bug. I don't know if that carried over to the LoK version of that segment. You had to be the last player to exit the segment to trigger the bug, so for a time there was always a "player" in the segment to stop xeroxing.

Sadly, there were lots of exploits in IoK that were long-standing simply because the game operators didn't know how to listen. The Axe xerox bug was reported multiple times over the course of at least a year before it was finally believed.

Perhaps the most notorious exploit that suffered from ignoring player reports was the Lich Boot bug: a pair of simple featherfall boots that turned any class into a super martialarts killing machine.

To KoD's credit, the gameops here seem to keep a keen ear open for reports of exploits. Players, too, need to be vigilant in reporting possible exploits as some of them can dramatically alter game play and destroy the illusion of a fantasy universe.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard
Avatar (C) WIlliam Li: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/w/i/william/
KaM Guild Website: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ctanzio/kam.html

Raiko

Post by Raiko »

LOK had a "xeroxing" (we called it "duping") bug.

It was a place in Leng I believe that if you got into it (it was a small meadow surrounded by air hexes if I remember) you could drop items onto the ground and they would just duplicate as long as they were on the ground.

If you got caught, it was a perma lockout.

Not many people knew of the bug (I didn't.. just knew it existed)

Doom.Orc was fun. I remember fighting him to get my crossbow.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

The duping hex itself was not a bug, but players having access to it was.

There was a GameMaster-only area in each land. These areas were known as Hell because they were small areas surrounded by walls of rock and full of fire hexes, and the Demons hung out there when they had free time. In each Hell there was a hex that duped any item dropped onto it. The GMs used these hexes for item fixes, for creating prizes for events, etc.

A few players found a way into Leng Hell. They used different features in conjuntion to do so. Webs were created out on air hexes on one level of Leng. The Player would climb up to an area above it, and would jump from a specific hex, would land on the web and be caught by it, now standing out on air hexes. They would then make a door into a wall, and step into it. Behind the wall was an air hex. If the player jumped into this hex, they landed in Leng Hell.

In LOK there was a very strong economy for so-call 'rare-items'. These were items not available in general gameplay, only available if created and given out by GMs. The bug was originally kept quiet for a while, and some players used the dupe hex to make large numbers of rare items, then flood the market with them at a discounted price.

There was a webpage put up by one of these players, named Frugle. I forget the exact details, but to recreate it in general... at the top of the page was a conch. Beside it, it said: price - 1 million gold. Below the conch was a bouquet gem. next to it: price - 5 million gold. Below that was a bedsheet cloak, with text: price - 25 million gold. At the bottom of the page was a screenshot of Frugle standing in leng hell, with the Ghod of LOK asking "What are you doing here?" "How did you get here?!".

The text: A screenshot of Guardian catching you in Leng Hell - priceless.

Within hours of this incident the whole game was taken down while Guardian made it impossible to get to Leng Hell. All players who abused it were locked out permanently.

During the going away events on the last night of LOK, the GMs, such as Porphyry, Toshin.Ryu, and Daphne, gave the players tours of each of the Hells in each land and gave away many rare items that had never been seen beforehand.

Toasticle

Post by Toasticle »

The only dupe I knew of had to do with overfilling a hex with stuff so the server bombed out. Was helping someone try and do it in the Annwn(sp?) dragon/phoenix lair, but this was a week before IoK shut down for good, so that doesn't count, does it? :)

And hey, Iron Lich boots were kick-ass!

Does anyone know if the dragon in Praetoseba... Praetos....however its spelled.... was ever killed? I tried a few times to get some MA's and thieves (For bow skill) together to try, but never had more than 3 or 4 people. I hated that dragon, every time I got the stupid tiger quest he was rampaging around outside his lair :P

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

Killing the dragon with level 3 uw crits was the event one week at midnight madness. Each of the 3 facets holding the event had at least 30-40 people doing it. Just dying over and over and running back out there, similair to a current GiantKing hunt. We used bows to try to stay spread out so his ice wouldnt kill everyone at once. Eventually the dragon died, and we were all given some nifty items.. of course since we were on UW crits, they couldnt go back to kesmai :).

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

>> The only dupe I knew of had to do with overfilling a hex...

I owned a broom in the AG segment. Swept together some huge piles by starting at the top floor of the Torrii castle and working down to the bath house to sell everything. Never did get the server to crash, so you might of needed a mega-pile to get it to happen.

There were a lot of nice gems in the phoenix lair and it was popular to sweep them all in a pile and off the edge so they could be safely brought back to town and sold.

You could sweep things onto an air hex and fall down with the pile. It was fun to "hear" all the bottles break as they hit the ground. >g<

>> And hey, Iron Lich boots were kick-ass!

The lich was called the "Iron" lich because the lair was first discovered by an (in)famous wizard named Ironuzak and my thaumaturge as we explored the pit in Oakvael.

Ironuzak was also the first player to notice the interesting properties of the featherfall boots the lich dropped, as he was experimenting with MA skill at the time in order to better protect his wizard.

He eventually left IoK to play KoD soon after it first went online, and became one of the larger MAs in the game. There is a story about one of the early Chipuda hunts where he was the last one standing as all the player corpses cheered him on to defeat the evil mentalist. Ironuzak finally fell and Chipuda popped everyone's gear. Well, not sure if all of it is true, but it does make a fine story.

>> Does anyone know if the dragon in Praetoseba... was ever killed?

A few times. Figurines were available to throw into the lair. There were a couple of sources of wands that contained wizard spells, like fireball, that you could cast around corners. You could lead tigers to the lair to act as decoys while you shot at it. It took a really, really long time.

There was another, lawful dragon in the underworld. It was in the dreadful area where players with evil karma were sent when they entered the UW. Never could put much of a dent into it. >vveg<
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard

Rasker

Post by Rasker »

who here was at the dock at 6:30 am when the Legends of Kesmai server shut down for the last time? <sniff>

Shaddai

Post by Shaddai »

I spent the last day being digested by mama.

Did a solo run there with my knigget (well, suicide run I guess)

Rasker

Post by Rasker »

bummer, so ya would have had to rush thru the underworld thing in time to get to the dock :(

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

Ironuzak was indeed one of the first MA's of fame in Drakkar. He was also known as one of the first big players to reamain "independent" in that he never joined a guild but was asked on many a hunt due to his reputation.

I can't speak for the Chipper incident as I wasn't there, but I could certainly believe the story.

Brem

Post by Brem »

Oh, my god.

This is Ironuzak/Bremsstrahlung. Wahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha.

Hiya Ztinktoof/Fizzy/Carmen :D Are ye still subscribed to the Direwolf mailing list? Figures you are playing KoD. Long after I stopped. I wonder if I can reactivate my account from the olden days...

Yo Ravaillac...I see you are still here. I'm guessing this is the original :D

This is what happens when one is unable to sleep and start surfing at 4am in the morning.

Ahahahahahhahahahaha, I still can't stop laughing.

Anyways, note about the Iron Lich Boots. I am to this date convinced that they put the AG version of the boots in BG unintended.

Oh, and I didn't start out as a GDI (Goddamn Independent, as Ender_DOOM called me). I was in fact an ICE for a while. However, there was huge amount of politics between the large guilds (Slayer, DOOM, ICE among others). I got fed up with it and left, and remained indie afterword.

Interestingly enough, I was invited to be a CURE in KoD (consist of the same IoK CURE Members). Never happened though. I woulda but I started to lose interest soon afterwords, due to my gettin involved in Magic: the Gathering scene.

Also, the true GDI award goes to Mord, who never joined in guild, ever, and was the first (and only?) Ninja (MA/Thief multi-class...I believe started as a granted wish). He was very interesting character.

BTW, those who care, I still live in Boston area, and now plays AC1. Given the history of Fizzy/Carmen liking the similar games I play...I expect you to play AC1 at some point :D

-K

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

>> This is Ironuzak...

Komban wa! (Hope I got the spelling right. Its been many years since I uttered that phrase. >grin<)

>> Are ye still subscribed to the Direwolf mailing list?

Unsubscribed awhile ago as I did not have time to participate. But I recently dusted off my 200+ model goblin army and am preparing to march to war to destroy you soft 'eaded hummies! Some local stores are sponsoring tournaments. So you may see me on Direwolf asking some questions, like, uh... how do I play this game again?

>> Figures you are playing KoD. Long after I stopped.

I restarted a little over 2 years ago I think. Still the same basic game, with a bunch of new challenges and large-player enhancements. New front end with better graphics. There are even a couple of lairs that have not been conquered.

>> I wonder if I can reactivate my account from the olden days...

If your account was active on the IeN network, you got a shot at activating it. There is a link somewhere. If you are interested in giving the game a spin, you can start a free account and have access to all the content of the original game. Give a PM to Ztinktoof in the game.

>> ..the first (and only?) Ninja (MA/Thief multi-class...

I have a *vague* recollection that anyone could build one after Mord. You dedicated to a trainer by climbing up on the pool hex in the Maeling Town garden.

>> ...and now plays AC1. Given the history of Fizzy/Carmen liking the similar games...

Wow! You play Animal Crossing for GameCube too?! I love that game. The animals are all so cute and cuddly and... uh... oh... maybe you mean Asheron's Call?

We are proof that old gamers don't die, they just surf the net for old games they used to play >grin< (I recently found, on the net, a copy of a Praetoseba Map I made maybe 13 years ago of the evil player area. Had to enter like 10,000 swim and crawl commands to map it out because most of it was in total darkness. Yes, I had no life back then!)
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard

Brem

Post by Brem »

Originally posted by Ztinktoof

>> Komban wa! (Hope I got the spelling right. Its been many years since I uttered that phrase. >grin<)
Close enough, Konban wa :D
>> Unsubscribed awhile ago ...
Same here :p
>> If your account was active on the IeN network
I never transfered my account from mpgn.net :p
>>I have a *vague* recollection that anyone could build one after Mord. You dedicated to a trainer by climbing up on the pool hex in the Maeling Town garden.
Actually, yeah, I remember. There was a couple o others. But everyone who had a ninja was never happy with it.
>>Wow! You play Animal Crossing for GameCube too?! I love that game. The animals are all so cute and cuddly and... uh... oh... maybe you mean Asheron's Call?
:p Yes, I mean Asheron's Call...See? I am slowly modernizing my games *laugh*
We are proof that old gamers don't die, they just surf the net for old games they used to play >grin< (I recently found, on the net, a copy of a Praetoseba Map I made maybe 13 years ago of the evil player area. Had to enter like 10,000 swim and crawl commands to map it out because most of it was in total darkness. Yes, I had no life back then!)
Wahahahahahahahaha. I wonder if I can track down some of the 'recordings' of IoK sessions I made...

-K
Last edited by Brem on Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wardon

Post by wardon »

Wow , just stumbled on to your site and cant believe how much everybody can still remember about IOK. Last time I played was probobly in May or June of 1981 (before wife and kids and all the other stuff that drags us into adulthood) sitting up all nite in a tiny apartment in Huntington Beach, bangin away on a commodore 64, spending 6 bucks an hour I didnt really have.
Have gotten back into online games a little in the last couple of years(Dark age of Camelot mostly, a little EQ) but even tho they are obviously much better graphically, I still havent found them to get your heart racing as much as the simple sight of a "D" on the screen edging closer and closer to your char with every refresh. Or hearing someone start to chant a spell that you knew was in range.
The only player I really remember was Ogre.ebi (evil brothers inc, if I remember right).
Although i think he was a serious PKer he took pity on this noob and helped me a ton on my jouney to being a knight.
Im sure its partly nostalgia looking back at IOK(first love, that kind of thing) but damn that game was fun

Landros

Post by Landros »

Found some sights that gave me a few chuckles from the past. Thought you guys might enjoy em also.

http://rivendell.fortunecity.com/mage/666/

http://members.tripod.com/~MIDGIT/LAIR.htm

http://www.ccs-net.com/Sky/

lil bit of the past and all the hours we spent there...

Landros

Frozboz

Post by Frozboz »

this was made 7-13-99 so this is not OLD info.
lol <g>

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

Geez... Hard to believe its been about 15 years since I last played IoK, yet some of the text map sections I charted still live on the Internet.

Thanks for the links. It was fun remembering places and people from that long ago time and far away land.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard

Landros

Post by Landros »

Was Searching around some of my Zip files the other day and came across these two things thought I would put em up temporally for anyone who would want to check them out. I found the Game Hunter if I remember correct it was the game made between IOK and LOK using the AG map so for those feeling a bit nostalgic can dl and walk around the map that’s the Hunter.zip file and the other is Lok sounds just what title says hope you guys enjoy. One thing I was curious about anyone remember what the direction is to get to the MA/Thief trainer after the climb up? would like to see if you can still dedicate to Assassin. :sarc

The Link I will keep up for a short time to get the 2 files is

http://www.geocities.com/uptonp/lok/

Landros

PS I assume these are abandoned files and if it is not abandoned and the owner of the rights does not want them up respond here and I will immediately remove them.

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

>..direction is to get to the MA/Thief

Several months ago I mapped out the upstairs garden of Maeling where the assassin trainer used to be. It is now just invisible walls and illusionary ground through which you fall back into Maeling town.

Might be worth a trip to remap it.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard

Kanador

Post by Kanador »

I dont mean to respond to a thread so old, but i see names in this thread i havent seen in 10+ years.

Just downloaded the game and thinking about starting to play again. Started on kesmai and moved to drakkar. left drakkar when it was still on MPGN.

Just thought id say hi.

kanador_fate (founder)
kanador_doom

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Bah, rumors. Just to clear things up completely:

I am the sole creator of Realm which became Drakkar. Others have written scenarios, and helped maintain the game, but its my insanity.

I wrote the game in college, it was a center screen side scroller MMRPG like rogue. Then a friend turned me onto iok and i adopted the same symbol set as them (close), and moved the display window to the upper right.

The game was developed on a PDP11, and later ported to unix (still called REALM at the time).. There are still a couple original players online ( won't give names ) who played on the DISK BBS (where it ran)

I never worked for kesmai corp, or had even heard of the game until a friend turned me onto it while i was in college. Drakkar is not IOK, never was, never even took a similar development path other than the superficial stuff (think about the game styles, they are light years apart) (though i was heavily influenced by rogue, moria and IOK) (And LUVED iok by the way)

In college, I was contacted by MPGN to license the game, which they did, and produced a graphical frontend for it. There was no internet then.

I accepted, and we made a graphical frontend, put it up on MPGN, and I took a cut of the profits. "ben" was an employee of mpgn at the time, but was working on ANOTHER game mpgn was writing.

MPGN eventually dropped development of their game, and switched to mine. It grew and grew, etc.

MPGN then got a very, very early access line to what was then a newly broken off portion of milinet, called the internet. It was through C$S believe it or not.. So we grabbed it, and got a CLASS B internet address (if you can believe it).. And put drakkar up on it.. (hence it was the original, first, and only graphical MMRPG on the internet).

One day, Ben ("mirror") offered to "RUN" the game for me, and I accepted. He ran it for a couple years, until an unfortunate incident caused a breakup of that relationship.

About 10 years ago, MPGN purchased complete rights to drakkar from me, and took over management. I was a consultant (and programmer on other projects)

Many years later, MPGN merged with IEN, i left the company, drakkar died on the vine, and I swooped in a couple years ago and bought it back.

I sure hope that clears up all the rumors about where this all started

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

Nice post Brad. Now I have to wonder if you were Luvall......dd in IoK? Was that a subtle hint? ;)

I remember running into him many a day at good ole +Ydmos.

Ravaillac

Post by Ravaillac »

He was Soyer......Cure the legendary drake hunter <+g>

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

I remember Morpheus, Sevarian, Sentinel, and ShaiHulud as the legendary drake hunters of my early time. But I may have been a bit late to the show. I missed the first major DP Xerox by about two weeks to date my IoK time.