Past Lives

General User Chat
purg2

Past Lives

Post by purg2 »

Im just wondering what all the past lives of drakkar there were.
I know it was once called IOK? Island of Konami or something like that? Was it under any other names before it became The Kingom of Drakkar?

Im thinking about trying to make a web page that shows the growth and changes of Drakkar and as much possible information of past lives of Drakkar would be nice.

Plus any pages that have Screen Shots of what it was like would help.

I know in the original version it was all Text Maps - ________________________
|..................................|
|.................................../
|.......$...........@............|
|.*.......!.......................|
/...................................|
|_______________________|

Like $ represented money
@ was you
* some type of gear
! a monster
/ a door

I know this isnt exact, but more information would be of help so I can be more acurate.
Last edited by purg2 on Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toasticle

Replying to Topic 'Past Lives'

Post by Toasticle »

Kesmai.

Started way, way, WAY back on Compuserve in the early/mid 80's as Dungeons of Kesmai, then Island of Kesmai, and later it became Legends of Kesmai in the mid 90's when the front end was updated to 2D graphics. IOK was closed down and characters transfered to LOK, and was run on CIS and Gamestorm, and I think AOL, but has since ceased to exist when EA bought Gamestorm and closed it down in 99. There are several petition-type things going on for EA to allow a revival of I/L of Kesmai, but EA is... well, being EA.

As far as its relation to Drakkar, it was not directly related. My fuzzy recolection is that Drak was started by a few ex-Kesmai programmers, but I was playing Kesmai when Drak started, so I dunno for sure :)

It played alot like drakkar, if a bit simpler. Spell system on IOK was a royal PITA though, you had to "warm" each spell by chanting first, so you could only cast every other round. And the chants were different for each character consisting of 4 words like "Ashtug Ninda Anghizida Arrflug"... come to think of it I think that was the portal chant to switch between worlds :)

Edit:

And here is my rendition of the Kesmai-4 Dragon Lair (Aka Daisy)!

[][][][][] A Dragon
[][][][]~~
[]. $ . ~~
[]mm$ A ::
[]. . . ~~
~~[][][]~~

[] - Wall
~~ - Water
$ - Stuff
mm- Altar
:: - Bridge
. - Empty Spot

Edit: Bah, character spacing messed it up :)
Last edited by Toasticle on Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

Hmm... purg2, that resembles me of NetHack graphics... that is a Rogue-like game (uses ASCII characters for graphic display of environment). If you feel nostalgic, be sure to download the NetHack ;)
Mihey__PHNX

purg

Post by purg »

Well I just want to document what I can of Drakkar. Know kinda rebuild its history. This way players who want to know about Drakkar and its past can just read up on most of it.

I still want some of the graphics that was part of the First drakkar. If anyone can figure out how to make one of them old disks boots up and can get one or two of the old graphics off of it, I would be very happy. Ill even note that you were the person who sent them to me on the web site.

Ok I got my starting information, Im going to get started building it a little now.

purg

Post by purg »

Here is something I found while looking for more information. Dont know if anyone would be interested in seeing the rebirth of Kesmai or just to see EA give it back, but here is a petition that I found.

http://www.petitiononline.com/lok/petition.html

tzor

Post by tzor »

Originally posted by Toasticle

As far as its relation to Drakkar, it was not directly related.

It was indirectly related, but not directly related. I'm not really familiar with KOD prior to MPGN, but MPGN originally bought the rights to KOD when they began to realize that their multi-player game was not going to be ready in time. Many of the employees in MPGN were IOK players.

Around that time, IOK had a convention in Orlando. MPGN managed to sneak in a few demos in the hotel rooms, and got a few of us to sign up, including myself. KOD had two features that were "compared" to IOK. Round time (15 sec IOK vs 5 sec KOD) and Screen size (3x3 IOK vs 4x4 KOD).

Later, when my consulting job for Met Life was terminated, I joined the company.

Now for some technical details. All of the "games" on Compuserve were written in a variation of Basic (known as Compuserve Basic) and stored on a common computer. (I know this information from old conversations from an Arch-Witch of Brittish Legends.) I heard a story where a simple mistake like the improper use of a negative number in BL took down the entire game computer.

IOK seemed like a nice sized place ... at the time, but was tiny compared to the original KOD and is even smaller now. It's been years since I looked at the IOK maps, but I think that the map was either 80x80 or 100x100 squares. By contrast the KOD map is multiple layers of 200x200 hexes, not counting that different scenarios are located on their own serves, so you could say that the entire world map is four dimensional.

Still, even I occasionally miss old Smokey the bear and his nasty shovel, and of course the lovely lady Trog, who lived in a hidden lair reached from level 2.
And in a vision, Iphigenia saw her brother, Orestes, who was being chased by the Amenities; and he cried out in anguish: "Oh ye gods, who know what it is to be running? Only he who is running knows." (From Iphigenia in Brooklyn, P.D.Q. Bach, S. 53162)

Toasticle

Post by Toasticle »

Useless trivia on Kesmai:

There were 5 classes. Paladins, Thaumaturge (Cleric/Fighter), Wizards, Thieves and Martial Artists. Technically there were also fighters, but after 8 you could become a paladin, only reason not to was if you lost alignment or for RP reasons. Thaumaturges could also summon elementals (Djinn and Efreet) and demons to fight for them.

In the earliest version, lair eats resulted in a character wipe. Later on this was changed to stripping and loss of experience, skill and some hit points. After that the Underworld (? Think... bad memory sometimes) was added, you could go there by sacrificing yourself at an alter, lair eats resulted in a forced trip. In the underworld you had to do 4 quests to get back out. Each quest was to get an organ back (heart, lungs, stomach and liver?) and was started by egyptian god NPC's. Completing the quests gave you back lost con points and most of your skill, and moved your alignment one step back to good.

Way, way back if you went east of the pawn shop in Kesmai town and started lighting the trees on fire, a bear with a shovel would show up and attack. Shovel was a very nice staff weapon that stunned.

IOK (but not LOK) had an advanced segment (nicknamed AG) much like Cob, but it was a one way trip, once you went there you could never return. AG was where the only hit doctor in the game was. The toughest monster in the AG was Thisson the serpent-demon, who had the only Stun and Death spell protection item in the game. Scales were nice too (Black and Gold serpent scales if I recall). I only heard of one person soloing him, a thaumaturge that hid and sent about 50 efreeti against him :) The AG cloud dragon in Rift Glacier wasn't to easy either :)

There were figurines in the game that you could throw that would summon a monster to fight for you. Tiger, Griffon and Dragon. Figurines could gain levels and improve, but always had a small chance of shattering when used.

MA skill helped with any class, most common character build was to start a martial artist and get the crystal gauntlets (best MA weapon in the game) and then re-roll to chosen class as you could "pass on" one tied weapon to a ancestored character. You had to perform a ceremony that would send the character permanantly to the underworld, then reroll, then perform another ceremony to summon the ghost of your ancestor. After performing the chants, you would receive half the experience points and skill (paid skill only like drakkar), and then bless the chosen item to pass on.

In Early Kesmai, if you killed another character you gained a good chunk of experience based on the level of your victim, and skill. Many guilds back then had "skill cows", which were thieves (Neutral alignment so anyone could kill with no penalties) leveled up some and brought by the priest NPC in town. You then proceeded to slaughter the poor thief over and over (NPC would raise him with no penalties)

In very early Kesmai, the priest NPC would resurect any corpse you brought him, including monsters. The Kesmai dragon rampaging through town brought an end to that eventually.

You could summon demons by saying their name 3 rounds in a row. Some demons were hostile, some could train magic skills and appraise your skills. Some were nuetral and were used as sparring dummies. Only ones I remember are pazuzu & glamdrang

In Kesmai town there was a boxing ring. In that hex only you could fight and kill any character with no penalty to alignment.

Jerks in the early game were killed and looted over a trash can (destroys any item dropped on it). Never knew anyone who did it or had it done, only rumors :)

One of the first really notorious PK's was orc. (had the period after his name). Killing PC's got you a karma point, Karma points could be forgiven by the victim, or wore off after a period of time (the more you had, the longer they took to wear off). Dying while evil in eary, early IOK was instant character wipe (The ghods would not forgive you). I also seem to remember a ghost in a few towns that took silver daggers and tiger figurines in exchange for either wiping a karma point or improving alignment one step.

The oldest running Kesmai joke:
Drinking healing potions was a 4 step process, and in the game you could combine 2 commands in one line, except for moving/attacks. Healing potions were called "balms" in the game, so healing was usually:

"Take balm from sack;open balm"
"Drink balm;drop it"

Considering the often heated conditions involved, your fingers tended to get a little clumsy, especially when you had 15 hits left while staring at a dragon... During one of the Kesmai cons, someone had coffee mugs printed up with:

"Dink blam and dorp it"... You can't do that as a ghost!

Anyone else play back then? :)

Edit: Probably my strongest memory of IOK was when I was still pretty small. One of the bigger characters back then (Shai Hulud) helped get my first wizzie going by getting me a shovel and bear fur (smokey fur, nice armor with fire/ice protection). A while later Morpheus (IOK's Brad) showed up in game and asked for my shovel, as they were intruducing some new weapons and back then they were extremely limited in memory/storage space, so they had to phase out older stuff. In exchange he offered me an untied Black Broadsword. I was so thrilled to meet a game op like him (and I wanted his robe hehe) that I didn't think to bring up the fact that i had 13 or so staff skill for the shovel.... but no sword skill... bleh :P
Last edited by Toasticle on Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

Actually Morpheus was not Brad, but Ben. Who was Mirror for Drakkar and has a long colorful history there.

I have wonderful memories of Kesmai as well. It strikes me odd that I remember things like ashtug ninda anghizidda arrflug and alsi ku nushi ilani from nearly 2 decades ago.

I would play kesmai again for pure nostalgia. I still associate the smell of air conditioning in the summer with that game because at first I could only afford to play when I was working in the summer for my father's supply company while on vacation from school.

Let's have a little contest: who can remember the most demon names. <G>

pazusu
damballa
glamdrang <ghoul>
lazsu
asmodeus <would never come>

How about the amoral demons? What were their names? Thazul maybe? They were going to be the sorceror trainers which was never implemented. Hehe ... the memory is going slowly but surely.

Oh yeah how about "dragon:marduka marduka kapna <+g>" When daisy would go evil after ressing her milking the XP.

Toasticle

Post by Toasticle »

Meant Morpheus was to Kesmai as Brad is to Drakkar, not that they were the same guy.

Or they could be for all I know, I have enough trouble remembering real names, much less on-line handles :P

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

The two guys who created Island of Kesmai were John Tyalor and Dr. Kelton Flinn. I think Kelton's in game name was Cuchulain way back when. I remember running into him on -4 of the Kesmai dungeon and he killed a minotaur for me that was kicking my arse.

Ben <Morpheus> came on the scene after becoming one of the biggest players of the time as a admin type position when they started moving on to bigger and better things.

Morpheus was one of the recipients of the famed "draking" duplication whereby some characters got a huge amount of HP by xerox'ing the potions that the drake dropped. Ahh.. the "silvery scales of a drake" and that good old "small porcelian vile"

As far as Drakkar goes I believe Brad created the workings of the game as some sort of Master's thesis or somesuch. I'm sure he could verify that if he wants. ;)

I don't know Brad's character name on Kesmai and when I asked him he delcined to answer on grounds of "protecting the innocent" hehe
Come to think of it I haven't seen "Soyer" in the game in some time either!

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

Thamuz and Perdurabo come to mind as demon's names, with perdurabo as an amoral I believe. I'm not 100% sure anymore though. The others that were listed all sound right: lazsu, pazuzu, damballa, glamdrang, and the inactive asmodeuos. I think there was one more, but it's been a while so I'm not sure.

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

A darkly hooded figure appears before you, cackles, and extends a boney hand around the haft of a massive silver axe. His hood is thrown back, and you stare into the ashen, furrowed face of death itself. He speaks in a hoarse, labored whisper, his eyes sparkling with visions of ancient deeds long forgotten...

"I was a priest of some power in that long shattered world. Some say the greatest that ever walked the BG lands. A hollow claim, to be sure, as none survive to aver or challenge the boast.

"Still, despite my long sleep, some spark of knowledge remains in my faded shell. This I share. In so doing, I live, for however brief a moment, again, as in a dream...

"There were seven demons, but only six could be summoned. All seven were mentioned in previous posts.

"Asmodeus was the one that could not be summoned. But he could be seen while standing in a certain dungeon (the Oakvael Pit) using a wizard spell similar to the DZ scry spell. (You could scry monsters and players in IoK. Wish that could be done here.)

"Perdurabo was a trainer demon. It could be summoned at various altars in Nork and Leng and it would sell low level weapon training regardless of your alignment.

"The nature and power of a demon varied a bit from segment to segment.

"Summoning a demon in Leng usually invoked the most powerful form of the beast.

"There was a 4 phrase chant followed by the demon's name in order to summon it. This summoning chant was the same for all demons, you only varied the name at the end.

"Thaumaturges also had a summoning spell whose power could be varied to summon various minor demons: salamanders that breathed fire, djinn that fought or cast concussion, and efreet.

"Non-spell casting djinn were the standard minor demons used by thaums to keep lair beasts busy while players attacked.

"Only a handful of players ever got skilled enough to summon the most powerful efreeti that could cast dreadful area attacks.

"Whirlwind was the most spectacular efreeti attack and was used to level a lawful town or two before the Ghods of Kesmai wrought their terrible vengeance upon the priest responsible.

The priest laughs evilly as his cracked lips form a sinister grin. A feeling of dread chills your soul as the vision fades, leaving the sound of a name fading on the swirling wind...

whumper
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard
Avatar (C) WIlliam Li: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/w/i/william/
KaM Guild Website: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ctanzio/kam.html

Watcher

Post by Watcher »

always knew whumper was evil. <g>

Now Fizzy was okay, but that Whumper, well...just don't be near the Whump when it summons djinns...

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

Whump!!

You are stunned.
You are stunned.

Watcher

Post by Watcher »

Forgot to add that it was interesting being a playtester for Islands of Kesmai. Never forget the time that I soloed both the Basic and Advanced Game Knight's Quest and Fledge agreed it was ready for the production game.

Well...after so many people complained that it was too hard and were dropping like flies, he tweaked it down a bit <g>. People didn't like to be sneaky like me and use corners I guess. :>

Also learned that there were loose lips in Playtesting. We had finished a brand new quest in Oakvale and the next day it was to be released in production. When I showed up in the afternoon, it seemed half the player population had figured the quest out. Coincidence? I think not. <g>.

Of course, perhaps it was revenge for that Chimera lair rumor I started <veg.>

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

The last demon I couldn't think of was the other amoral, and the name Samael popped into my head as being it. Once again I add the disclaimer .. been a while, I could be wrong :)

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

I remember Samael too.

Knights quest was a great quest. The only really scary part was that damn WW dragon as I recall.

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

>> Also learned that there were loose lips in Playtesting

There was a hard-core group of big, free-booter players who cooperated on each new quest as it was released. After the launch of Oakvael, I cannot think of any BG quest that we did not solve within 24 hours of its release, without the help from playtesters. Which quest are you thinking of?

To get back to Drakkar, like Drakkar at one time, IoK once was a very secretive place, with information and hunts closely guarded by guilds. Once the "guild" of free-booters started sharing information and organizing hunts, rare lairs became more common place, like the Axe ice dragon and the Leng vampire. In DZ, info on how to do the King Quest lairs is there for the asking.

There is also quite a network of free-booters and guild players on Drakkar now that interact on a daily basis. Not sure if it was always there, as I began to notice and get "connected" after I started volunteering to help on lair hunts.

But information on all aspects of the game *seem* more readily available than it was, say, two years ago when I began playing again.

More people can now enjoy all the game has to offer, but at the cost of some mystery and legend. In the long run, I believe the game is healthier because of it, but a fantasy aspect of the world suffers.

It used to be quite a badge of honor to don a set of +Thisson scales or Mamma ice dragon scales in IoK, just like Mama red dragon scales were at one time in Drakkar.

OTOH, on IoK (and also to some extent on Drakkar) we discovered most of that stuff wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Still, all the way to the end of its existence, there were people begging for ice dragon or thisson scales, when there were better gear setups available that were easier to obtain.

Some legends from the early days die hard, even in Drakkar.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard

Watcher

Post by Watcher »

Originally posted by Ztinktoof

>> Also learned that there were loose lips in Playtesting

There was a hard-core group of big, free-booter players who cooperated on each new quest as it was released. After the launch of Oakvael, I cannot think of any BG quest that we did not solve within 24 hours of its release, without the help from playtesters. Which quest are you thinking of?

Some legends from the early days die hard, even in Drakkar.

Hmm, now you're testing my memory which is a dangerous thing. ;>

It involved a small area in Oakvael SE of the thief area, in which Orcs had crossbows or something of that nature. Was fuzzy, cause I didn't work the whole quest or was doing something else.

On a happier note, the joys of playtesting include the occasional misplaced decimal. After completing the Knight's Test, myself and another tester had upwards of 2K hitpoints as the quest gave us 1K hitpoints instead of 100. What a difference a tiny decimal point makes. :>

There was one fellow in playtest of I don't recall the name who had not tested anything since he was allowed in playtest. <G> Evidentlly, he might have worked for compuserve or something as he had built a Knight that was enormous. He could flit back and forth from AG to BG with AG gear. He took great pause to mention that he could easily solo every crit in the game. Lastily, he would mock the production game players and say they were sissies and didn't know how to play. I reminded him that they were paying the bill and didn't have god-like powers of teleport, making gold in 200K piles and going from segment to segment. <G>

It was fun times. Doubt if I was, but may have been one of the first, if not the first to use a thief to solo titan. If I wasn't, I was the first to capture the comical event on a playback device. :>

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

Ahhh you think there was more secrecy in the old days? NAH!!

I'll relay a little story I now find funny as heck, but at the time it was deadly serious stuff.

Our guild, ICE, back on Classic had defeated Ninghizidda for the first time. At this point Ninghizidda's lair and portal was the ONLY way back to nork. Well we all decided to synchronize our clocks and meet at PRECISELY 5AM in the morning to go back to Nork with all our skill and HP glory from "The Pit" aka Cob now.

We were so secret and used such an unusual time because we wanted to ensure no others were sniffing around and able to go back to Nork when we unlocked the door.

Even in the early days of RIP, which was born out a many ICE members, we were secretive to the point of paranoia. We kept all tactics in house.

Information now is basically available to any willing to listen save maybe a skill gaining tip here and there.

Now when the new scenario finally comes to fruition some of the old sentiment may arise.

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

>> It involved a small area in Oakvael SE of the thief area, in which Orcs had crossbows or something of that nature...

There was a lair put in the south central part of the surface. You could only enter during a certain phase of the moon, or maybe just at nighttime, and magic users could not pass the portal.

I have a recollection of some clue outside the lair about the moon phase or nighttime activation of the portal. Its been too many years, probably over 12.

Doom.orc was the boss, and he wielded a magical crossbow. He was surrounded by other orc archers, and there was a *presence very similar to DZ's spectres. It would blink as it attacked and stun you for a few rounds.
Last edited by Ztinktoof on Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard

Ravaillac

Post by Ravaillac »

Brad played IOK. One of his names was Soyer...Cure.

One of the GREAT features of IOK was that you could record game sessions and replay them.

As far as secrecy is concerned, the secrecy on IOK was FAR FAR greater than that of Drakkar.

IOK even had its own UNDERGROUND bulletin board run by one of it's most famous players: the evil +Dworkin (also known as Kenny). He and his gang ran the underground bulletin board, which was known as the Volcano, which contained a treasure trove of secrets including extremely rare footage of Morpheus the GameOp interracting with Kenny and his Gang, including one where Morpheus interrupted a solo of the Rift Dragon.

If I'm found with concrete shoes call the police and tell them "Kenny did it!"

-Ravaillac a/k/a Paragon....Zar in a past life.

Watcher

Post by Watcher »

Originally posted by Ravaillac

Brad played IOK. One of his names was Soyer...Cure.

One of the GREAT features of IOK was that you could record game sessions and replay them.

As far as secrecy is concerned, the secrecy on IOK was FAR FAR greater than that of Drakkar.

IOK even had its own UNDERGROUND bulletin board run by one of it's most famous players: the evil +Dworkin (also known as Kenny). He and his gang ran the underground bulletin board, which was known as the Volcano, which contained a treasure trove of secrets including extremely rare footage of Morpheus the GameOp interracting with Kenny and his Gang, including one where Morpheus interrupted a solo of the Rift Dragon.

If I'm found with concrete shoes call the police and tell them "Kenny did it!"

-Ravaillac a/k/a Paragon....Zar in a past life.

heh heh, Yeah Brad also played shadowfinder, forgot randyo's crit names. Then there was the infamous BaronThudd_C.U.R.E., Porphry (always butchered his name spelling it) and some other cures who I don't recall. Also remember the ALFs, Intrepid, Silly, etc. Intrepid went to KOD eventually as I recall. Shaihuluud was an old IOKer with a big knight and a thaum I think. There were scads of former IOKers that went over to KOD after everyone had virtually memorized every hex, trick and tip to the game <g>.

Wasn't in the production game at the time, but does anyone remember Queen B, one of the most vile PK'ers of all time? <g>

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

Haha ..yes I do remember Queen Bavmorda and as I also recall Willow wielding a +scythe <G>

I killed Queenie once then became a Pk'er myself with him/her briefly until I was hunted down and skinned into a fashionable strange leather jacket of a Mastenger..tag.

Those evil figurines were pretty fun to toss around.

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

For a long time, PKing was acceptable in the AG segments of the game. Sadly, the game was not really balanced for PKing, especially in the AG, and there were all sorts of ways small players could bushwhack very large players.

It caused endless flame wars in the CIS forums and was eventually outlawed, mostly to do away with the aggravation factor the forum and game sysops were suffering.

Logically enough, player migration to the AG segments steadily increased, and it turned from a series of desolate lands to one where party hunts were commonplace and very enjoyable fun. There is a lesson here.

The AG segments were quite extensive, and some of them were so strongly themed and well executed that they could still put current games to shame in terms of presenting a varied, yet consistent fantasy world, including KoD.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard