IRC Server

Brad
Admin
Admin

IRC Server

Post by Brad »

Would you be interested in / would you use a user sponsored IRC server?

Mihey

Replying to Topic 'IRC Server'

Post by Mihey »

Well, I assume you all know that running and maintaining an IRC server takes a lot of time. Not like a sundays walk in the park. ;)

But if someone is nuts enough... well, why not, I'd use it, starlink gets old and those splits, non-drak visitors and stuff are annoying :p
Mihey__PHNX

Morgar

Post by Morgar »

I think its a waste of a perfectly good IRC network already in place. If you don't like the non drak users coming into your room, key lock it. If you don't like starlink, well there are several hundred other networks to choose from.

I also dislike the idea of the network being run by a player. Either it should be run officially, by Drakkarzone (which would be a waste of server resources) or not at all.

In a perfect world, the ircop would be totally impartial, hold no grudges, have no agenda, but these things do happen in the real world. Can you imagine coming in one day and finding your guild room locked out because of a grudge held by the ircop?

No, a irc network run by a player, would, in my opinion, be a bad idea.

Morgar

Useful Drakkar files for Heros and Cowards: http://www.northernwebs.com/drakkar

purg

Post by purg »

id have to agree with morgar.

Now if there was a way to get some outside IRCOP to run it that wasnt a player, That might work.

Alyx

Post by Alyx »

I also think this is a bad idea. The reasons mentioned are valid. But also, what happends when the IRCOP heads of to work/school, and the server crashes? Starlink and other IRC networks have multiple IRCOP's who are able to reset the servers when the need arises. That may not be the case with a user created network.

I've heard people complain about non-drak players coming into Drak rooms. This doesn't really bother me, but I can understand the annoyance it can cause. Creating an IRC drak only network won't solve the problem either. Eventually the network will be found. And as "new ground", spammers and other annoying 'net citizens will be flocking to it.

And last, but not least, if the gameops are in any way involved with this new network, it's going to detract from the game. Resources (time, programming, server space, bandwidth, etc) should NOT be used for something this trivial. I'm sorry, but I pay to play Drakkar, not chat on a Drak only IRC network. The gameop's should in no way be involved in this.

However, having said all that, what a Drak player does with his/her time and resources are his/her business. I'm happy on Starlink and I'll stay on Starlink, regardless of whether a new Drak network starts up or not.

~Alyx~

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

Can be a good idea, only downside to it is that many people would have to run double server connection to their old IRC (starlink.org) as well :)

-It is a big point to be there for returning players, to make them feel at home right away.

Promotion of IRC use that would come with drakkar IRC run server would be a big +, would not underestimate it. However ASH IRC room has bein there for many many years and i can not see it transfered to other server for fear of missing out on more rear visitors or returning players.

I think it is a great idea, and would help to establish very wide reaching game wide chat environment., but point mentioned above would have to be dealt with.

Can you guys reppackage IRC program, maybe base it on mIRC and add double server feture to it?

To a degree, IRC still leaves and prospers coz it is so much user maintained, ones you get "mainframe" in, we take it from there,
helpfull, easy to understand page on basic IRC commands would help too.

Rathe

Post by Rathe »

Keep in mind the lobby already does a mini irc server. Brad are you talking about replacing that with a more robust chat engine?

I would love to see keyed channels, w/ kick rights to specific people, namable channels, etc.
-- Rathe_Rip

Roland

Post by Roland »

Myself, I'd rather Brad , Pax, and Randy devote their time to the game itself, and its expansion. From the sounds of things, right now alot of backend stuff is being done that's invisible to us players, and some MAJOR new stuff is headed our way in the short-term future. Any diversions such as IRC stuff, would just slow down the progress of that stuff.

As things stand now, we have plenty of ways to communicate in game. And with Drak's limited number of programmers and their limited amount of time, I believe their time would be best served expanding the game's content.
SirRoland,
Follower of The Old Code
"Call what you need of me. Ask what you will of me. My sword, my service are yours !"

Kanak

Post by Kanak »

OK someone has got to fill me in as to why everyone is so in love with IRC in todays Drak. I fully understand its legacy use and that we get accustomed to a few of its endearing features. However - Our new lobby has 99 channels/rooms, that would seem to fill most major needs, already built in. You can chat, you can run hunts you can do almost anything required within the Drak Lobby.

I have to believe that IRC is an old habit. Maybe its guild secret stuff *grin*. If thats the case I'm sure that the DZ lobby could be tilted for a few rooms requiring an invite. Maybe I dont see todays need because on my old island guilds just took over lobby rooms. If you wanted to see what peeps were up to you just went to room 1.

So why would Drak need its own IRC hassle with our new lobby, as long as starmaybelink fills the needs for those who hate change?

This is a real question. I'm curious?????:hoho

Ragnoker

Post by Ragnoker »

Following is my personal input:

I use irc because it is much easier for me to have an agent running to hear what is said so I can actually see what I am doing in game. ( Not all have giant monitors )

The reason I don't use DZ chat is because it bogs down my machine and is also a pain to have to continually bring it back from the tray to read then reduce again to play.

Here is a suggestion: Brad and the ops, why not just designate a channel on the starlink
server to be the official DZ irc channel. Make it moderated so that
only game ops could make announcements.

That way I could find out if you guys are doing another megalair and not have to rely on hearing it through the grapevine. ;)

Ragnoker_PHNX :D
http://www.phoenixguild.net
"What -- Me Worry?"

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

Here is a good reason: using lobby adds to DZ bandwidch and CPU usage. Using IRC uses other servers.

Some people prefer closing the lobby to reduce the lag. IRC dont cause much lag at all.

You can have mIRC window on top of Drakkar while playing, so you can read as well... I dont think you can do that with the lobby.

Most groups (guilds) prefer privacy, dont want random people jumping in their channel and asking for pots while they are busy on a tuff hunt or are engaged in a hot debate whether to allow hot-dogs on meetings or not. So they lock the room with a password.

Some people are simply annoying and asking to be booted outta the room. There is no kick/ban feature in the lobby yet, right? No moderating tools.

You cannot be in multiple channels, while IRC allows almost infinite amount of rooms open. I like being on channel 1, since that is the general chat, however would hate switching between it and other channel.

So... if the lobby had these following features, we all'd consider dropping IRC:
- hosted on different server, so it dont influence the game latency
- multiple channels open at the same time (open in new windows?)
- moderation tools (kick, mute, ban)
- password lock
- stay on top (so we can fit it on the same screen with Drakkar frontend and play & chat at the same time

That is what I could think up at this time.
Mihey__PHNX

Drewstr

Post by Drewstr »

Well.. i see Ya'll shot that idea CLEAR outa the water..

:

Thank you Brad and Sysops for the support with this Idea.. and Especialy Brad for helping me with everything he was able to....

So i guess ya'll will continue to use Starlink.Org

Maybe at a later time i can get more support from the Drak communitie for a Drak Irc Server.. but intill then.. i see ya'll completely smashed the idea..

-~*Firestorm*~-
-!?Kas?!-
Auramancer
That WOLF is up to something SINister.

purg

Post by purg »

well Drew, you have to look at it from our point of view. Lets say the idea was mine. Then lets say the idea was oked and it was all set up. Now one day me and you have a bit of a scuff. I might start using the server to extract a little revenge on you. Booting you from server. Locking you out, using your IP address and hacking your computer. To many things can go wrong with a player ran server on IRC. The idea was nice, its just that to many problems can come from it. Sorry dude, coodoes on the idea though.

Dragonslayer

Post by Dragonslayer »

I would personaly use it a lot, but i also think that the actual benefits wouldn't be very much, and it is way to much work to keep it up and running, besides having a job and such.
Dragonslayer of PHNX

Belgarion_ICE

Post by Belgarion_ICE »

I am in agreement with most here. I think that it is a bad ideal.I would rather drakk recourses go to the game to keep the progress rolling.

Starlink works just fine for me. I can make mirc a small box and keep it on top and have an easy view of game and chat.With drakks chat I can't do that because that chat won't size down small enough.

Hail ICE!!:D

finalwarrior

Post by finalwarrior »

I have to go with the flow on this one. I used to only use ICQ. Then someone hipped me up to IRC and I liked it a lot better. I agree that time can be spent on things like New years events. If I want to talk with anyone in game I can now.

Dragonslayer

Post by Dragonslayer »

just to remind you guys, where talking about a PLAYER hosted server, so it woudn't cost time from the sysops at all, exept for maybe a page with info about it on the kingdomofdrakkar site.
Dragonslayer of PHNX

Belgarion_ICE

Post by Belgarion_ICE »

A player hosted IRC server would never work.Several points on that have already been raised. First off what if that player gets miffed about something somebody did to him,so he just locks that player out or he could shutdown a guilds room. Then also there would be the concern of could he keep it up and running. starlink has paid peeps that keep thier servers going and they still go dn. and starlink isn't just one server they have several if one doesn't work and ya know how to find another one you can connect to it instead. It stills has some probs but not anywhere near the probs we would run into if we all moved to a player hosted server.

Hail ICE!!! :D

Dragon

Post by Dragon »

This is half off topic but at 1024x768 running DV there is no room for mIRC to fit so i use it like i do the lobby, clicking on the taskbar.:sarc

purg

Post by purg »

if you goto 1152x864, you have JUST enough room to keep mIRC open at the bottom *if you hide task bar/Quicklaunch bar*

The way I was running DV was Sack on top Right (Far right Column of Sack was cut off), Pouch Below it, Belt Below that.
Then on lower half, between Window and Mirc I set my Chat Bar. Then mIRC filled everything below Chat Bar.

But I have went back to old Drakkar, It looks less cluttered to me. I might go back to it once Brad has made the Map screen Resizable.

Dragon

Post by Dragon »

ack 1152x864 on a 15" monitor, i guess ill try it out.

Izlude

Post by Izlude »

Well i'm just fine with the IRC server i use good for hiding away from SYSOPS in :p
If all else fails.... PLEAD INSANITY!

Crusher

Post by Crusher »

I think the Drak server should be kinda linked with an mirc server... i know i like to close the drak lobby and keep the game up and play with mirc in the bottom left corner... maybe #Drakkar-0 (thru 99)
You'll never win... PLEAD INSANITY!

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

with an IRC client code imbued into the drakkar lobby, that can be done... but there is the problem of copyright and stuff. Also, IRC has several known abuses and bugs that some "users" might exploit. I believe IRC server (yes, IRC, not mIRC, mIRC = IRC client, FYI) should be separated from Drakkar server. Period.

Perhaps change the lobby so it only shows login options, news and stuff and shows links to IRC chatrooms. Nice and clean.
Mihey__PHNX

Demonaic

Post by Demonaic »

i have a few stipulations...
1, free?
2, how to determine rights/status etc?
3, mIRC compatible?
4, free?
-------------------------------------
LadyTrash
aka Frodo