Post 30 Skill Additions

Need to talk to a sysop? Here is a good place to start.
Brad
Admin
Admin

Post 30 Skill Additions

Post by Brad »

We are now at the point of coding the new 31+ skill additions. These will reward people for attaining skill levels, without necessarily associating the rewards with new disciplines or abilities (though these will come also)

We are going to implement these in groups of 3, so they can be tested thoroughly before moving on.

This first set is skill 31, 32 and 33

Thieves:
31 - All players in the same party as you are able to fully see you while hidden. All players in the party also receive a 5 level bonus for the purpose of seeing hidden creatures
32 - Thrown attacks (at a specific target) (Through the THROW command) are doubled (One command gets two throws).
33 - Mug will begin to work with an item in your right hand

Mentalist:
31 - Increased teleport locations per server (+4). +5 boost to ep regen per round
32 - +100 floating max energy points
33 - All fire based damage increases by 15%

Healers:

31 - Str/Agility disciplines are increased to a +8 stat boost
32 - Mental based fire/ice effects receive a +300 damage bonus (including dots). Healer gains +5 regen to ep
33 - All assault based damage increases by 15%

Martialists:

31 - The martialist is able to compensate for the stun of CHI SHIELD abilities, limiting the effect to one round or less
32 - CHI DeathTouch no longer requires constitution
33 - The Dragon's Revenge ability is now innate to the martialist. If the quirk is present, the effectiveness is increased

Fighter/Mentalist:

31 - All fire based damage increases by 10%
32 - The ThrustStrike FOCI becomes usable by the F/M
33 - All nice based danage is increased by 10%. Increased teleport locations per server (+2)

Paladin:

31 - All three BOOST foci no longer stun when used
32 - Disarm becomes effective against creatures up to level 62 (+10 bonus)
33 - Paladin receives a +30% damage bonus against evil creatures

Barbarians:

31 - The barbarian's nature absorptive ability for melee attacks is increased by one half the barbarians level
32 - A fully effective "cleave" attack gains DOUBLE the combat debuf on the target
33 - The bonuses to str/agi/attack at the highest beserk level have been increased to 6/6/8 respectively

These are up on test NL, and will be moved to live NL for testing as soon as I'm sure there are no crash bugs.

These are just the first 3 levels, I want to do them in stages as this is a new concept for the game, and bound to be filled with bugs.

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Re: Post 30 Skill Additions

Post by Darge »

Awesome...

Can we use this topic for discussion?
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

Brad wrote:
Fighter/Mentalist:

33 - All nice based danage is increased by 10%. Increased teleport locations per server (+2)
Glad to see our "nice" damage is increased. What about the mean damage though? :lol:

Quite psyched about what I see here, particularly the thruststrike addition. One question though...will the f/m need to attain the skill levels in both psi and a weapon to realize the improvements, or, for instance, psi for 31 and 33, and weapon for 32?

Thanks!

Teh_Cheat

Post by Teh_Cheat »

Very nice. =)

Tirith
Title: The Raging Darge

Post by Tirith »

Excellent... I am excited. Now I just need to find the time to play again. :cry:

Darge

Post by Darge »

Terrel wrote:
Brad wrote:
Fighter/Mentalist:

Quite psyched about what I see here, particularly the thruststrike addition. One question though...will the f/m need to attain the skill levels in both psi and a weapon to realize the improvements, or, for instance, psi for 31 and 33, and weapon for 32?
There is a skill requirement at the moment, but I can't test the specifics of it. Using a sk 5 weapon with sufficient mentalist skill gives "you are not skilled enough." Using a skill 35 weapon it works without a hinch (3 hex charge too~).

The requirement could be on the melee side of things, or you could just need at least sk 21 weapon (when pallies get Thruststrike) along with sk 32 mentalist.

Can't wait to see what's planned for sk 34+!
SIN

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

Have done some testing with thruststrike on f/m. Seems to actually do less damage than charge, so not sure it's quite right.

Did 31 hits (not swings) with charge, and 31 hits with thruststrike. The charges averaged 2791, with 5 hits in excess of 4k, and 5 hits less than 2k. The thruststrikes averaged 2340, with no hits over 4k, and 10 hits under 2k.

Can do more testing if you like, but initial look seems to indicate an issue with it.

Thanks!

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

I was looking at thruststrike (its code added by a programmer after i left mpgnet)

It doesnt seem to do more THAN charge at higher level (in general), adds 5 strength and 4 attacks (but caps attacks at 12)

Not sure what the intent was with thruststrike (in general)

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

Brad wrote:I was looking at thruststrike (its code added by a programmer after i left mpgnet)

It doesnt seem to do more THAN charge at higher level (in general), adds 5 strength and 4 attacks (but caps attacks at 12)

Not sure what the intent was with thruststrike (in general)
Since it caps attacks at 12, that explains the damage reduction. (A 75 f/m will get 16 attacks w/o any buffs on.)

So that being said, I'd suggest a different skill addition for that level, or perhaps just lifting the 12 attack cap and keeping it as is. That'd get the attacks to 20, unbuffed; a nice addition.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

any idea on why the max?

Is there some other feature of thruststrike ? Really im clueless what its intent is.

I'll take the max off

I hope the world doesnt blow up

Darge

Post by Darge »

Thruststrike is really just a FOCUS STRIKE with charge. So, it's usefulness is comparable to FOCUS STRIKE versus ATTACK.

Of course, F/M's have been wanting Thruststrike for what seems like forever, so maybe it was just a matter of not understanding how wussy some Foci are. <G>

Edit: It looks like the difference between an uncapped attack Thruststrike and the capped version is fairly nice. Good change.
SIN

Tirith

Post by Tirith »

the mug code seems to be a bit off.... While attempting to mug a target that is only 1 hex away. I will receive the message. You are not close enough to steal. It happens quite often. Also now that mug and steal are more effective against high level creatures. Will it be a decent skill gain method for thieves?

With an item in right hand... I can mug. With an item in just the left hand only, it gives the message "You must have both hands free to mug someone"

Volcom

Post by Volcom »

Impressive

Darge

Post by Darge »

Tirith wrote:the mug code seems to be a bit off.... While attempting to mug a target that is only 1 hex away. I will receive the message. You are not close enough to steal. It happens quite often.
Probably the bug related to crits bigger than 1x1. You have to be on their 'center' for certain things to connect.

Probably also worth noting, some NPC's will benefit from this stuff too.
SIN

RayonMazter

Post by RayonMazter »

Is there any chance for one additional group of additions to Weapon skills, for all classes other then just pally additions to weapon skills?

31 in a weapon = stun lasts 1 round longer on stunning blows
32 in a weapon = chance to riposte when blocked
33 in a weapon = armor/shield piercing & double damage when attacking a stunned target

The above aren't specific suggestions, just examples. Anything to give players something to look forward to for each weapon skill gives more motive, especially for some of the players who are already maxed in their main skill, this would give some small incentive to play around with other skills in the meantime as it gives people a target.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Wow, good ideas rayon.. But just keep in mind players would be stunned one round longer also (smile).

Darge

Post by Darge »

Sk 34-36 is pure awesome. That is all.
SIN

Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Do specializations play a role in getting these new abilities?

Or is it straight up, you have the skill or you don't?

dragonmage
Title: Arg!

Post by dragonmage »

I was playing with cleave earlier, with skill 34 isn't it supposed to not auto dezerk now? or was i mistaken? I'm a 72/35 barb btw.

Migam

Post by Migam »

dragonmage wrote:I was playing with cleave earlier, with skill 34 isn't it supposed to not auto dezerk now? or was i mistaken? I'm a 72/35 barb btw.
I thought sk34-36 weren't live yet.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Omni
Admin
Admin

Post by Omni »

*waits for it...*
Account and Billing issues: help@drakkarzone.com
E-mail: Omni.sysop@gmail.com
Twitter: @OmniSysop
http://www.facebook.com/omni.sysop
Send me Ideas, Suggestions, Bugs or Complaints!
Event Mailing list, send me an email with TELL ME OMNI in the subject!

dragonmage
Title: Arg!

Post by dragonmage »

Ah ok, I had been told they were. Thanks.

Tirith

Post by Tirith »

For mentalists.

39 - All lightning/acid based attacks increased by 30%

I was thinking this may need to be reworked...

Ments do not have any lightning based attacks.. The only acid based attack we have is the AcidBreath... learnable at as low as skill 14...

At skill 38... I hit my naked ment with his own acid for -170 damage... I think would need more than a 30% boost to become anywhere near worth using at the top end.. This is really a sad skill addition for ments to end with.

For thieves.

36 - On rare occasion the thief will find himself remaining hidden after a non-fatal backstab

Rare is very correct in this statement.. seems to be 5% or less that you remain hidden... can you increase this to maybe 20%? or perhaps have it go up with each skill level attained?

Haitklon
Title: A Possessed Axe

Post by Haitklon »

34 - All poison based damage +15%
35 - All disease based damage +15%
34 - All ice damage + 15%
36 - All energy based damage + 15%
35 - CHI Deathtouch gains a third attack for non-fatal blows
36 - CHI Jumpstrike gains an additional "kick" at the end of the series
35 - All energy based damage +10%
34 - All "armor damaging" abilities have greater effectiveness (special weapons as well as armorstrike)
35 - FOCUS PIERCE gains a 2nd "swing"
36 - MAXSTRIKE gains a 3rd, slightly less effective attack
Okay. Those are JUST the 34-36 skill level upgrades to classes. As you may have noticed, I selected and copy and pasted in the skills that increase damage by anywhere from 10-30%, or more depending on what kind (Maxstrike gains extra attack, etc).

There are two classes I left out. One, the healer, for obviously just that reason.
Two, the barbarian. Why you ask?

I cannot be the only one who realizes that while all the classes are getting bonuses that greatly increase their end-game effectiveness at a exponential rate (10% damage is exponentially more useful at skill 36 than skill 35), barbarians, although they used to be the gods of the world (yet now are sub-par compared to paladins and MA's), get absolutely no useful bonuses except for less mashing of the berserk button. Brad, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but this is what you are doing.

You built the barbarian class from the ground up, basing it off of the ability berserk. The very way we were TRAINED to fight; type #arg, mash repeat key, dead the enemy. You have since created an ability called cleave and expected it to satisfy our needs to change up the game, after disappointing us with relatively useless tiers that don't even stack (i.e. my barb doesnt have enraged cry - he doesn't need it, because other barbs do.) What does cleave do? It makes you useless for about five rounds and makes you deal a little bit more damage.

CLEAVE TAKES YOUR ZERK AWAY.
BARBARIANS ARE BASED UPON ZERK.
Brad, I really appreciate Drakkar, but this just does not compute.
There is a problem when you can stack a command and go make dinner or alt-tab to play WoW while still running your character at max potential.

Cleave really is a good idea. Barbarians need new abilities, we are sick and tired of arging. HOWEVER;

No barbarian is going to cancel his stacks of #ARG to cleave. It will dezerk and deal slightly extra damage. Even with the new addition, 50 round penalty is almost half of the total cap for berserk. In those 5 rounds you are going to spend reberserking, you could deal out probably 20x the damage of that cleave.

This is my suggestion. Make cleave an ability like #ARG, but with a cooldown, and lowers your defense for a round after that strike (while still retaining the extra damage).
It will change barbarian ways completely. Instead of #ARG #.#.#.#.#.#....etc, we can now type #CLEAVE #ARG #ARG #ARG #CLEAVE.

Brad, we work really hard for these skill levels. Make it worth it.

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Preach it brother.

Cobra