Recurring Subjects

Need to talk to a sysop? Here is a good place to start.
Brad
Admin
Admin

Recurring Subjects

Post by Brad »

1) "Special Characters"

From time to time in the past, as drakkar is almost 15 years old, in return for major bug finds, design help, etc, we have given special abilities to players. Though most of these players are gone now, a few poke their head in from time to time. Since DrakkarZone was not in control of drakkar for about 3 years, (when iEN owned it), we have carefully monitored these characters to make sure they ( though still with special abilities ) are within the legitimate scope of the game. We believe they are.

Every six months or so, rumors start floating again, wild stories fly around, and these characters start "walking on water" and "soloing titans". Then, we have to calm the storm, spend time in chat discussing things, reassure people, and try to get back to making a game. Normally its the same two or three complainers waiting for their moment to stir the waters again, thats why I'm posting this message.

In short, I have personally reviewed the five or so characters still in existance, and, though they have unique abilities, and some cross class abilities, they are hardly super men, and the new advanced psionics and HP gain will soon wash out any abilities they have.

1) No, not everyone will ever be able to get the abilities they may have. And consequently not everyone will ever be able to buy war bonds either, that window of opportunity is closed
2) Yes, they do represent an adge to those they hunt with. But that edge is outgrowing them quickly, as the game expands around them.
3) No, I don't restore special abilities once lost. Yes, there used to be facilities in the game to do this for them, but aren't allowed to use them any longer.
4) Their actions are greatly monitored in the game, and they don't get too many breaks. They certainly don't receive special treatment.
5) No, we aren't creating any more.

The biggest advantage a 10 year or so player has, its knowledge of the game. Often, when I review big creature kills supposedly 'attended" by these characters, I notice they have died in the first few seconds of the hunt, or weren't even online.... So i guess some of their uberness must have rubbed off on their friends.

Any future attempts to derail the forums on this matter will be moved to a rants section, or deleted.

Legitimate concerns are of course always welcome to me at help@drakkarzone.com

Brad